20 May 2005 08:46:57
Geoff Schultz
Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

I spent 3-4 months this winter at Lighthouse Reef in Belize aboard my
sailboat. We dove on average 2 times a day. I had just replaced my Se & Sea
film camera with an Olympus C-8080 digital camera and spent the majority of
my dives recording the marine life there.

If you've never been to the atolls off of Belize, mark them on your must-
see list for diving. I've dove most of the Caribbean, and imho the atolls
of Belize rank tops in my list, with only Bonaire being in the same
ranking. I will say that I haven't made it to the Caymans...yet...

On my web site you'll find over 125 species of fish, 60+ creatures, 50 some
types of coral, sponges, etc, etc. I've also placed some movies that I've
finally been able to edit (probably requires a broadband connection to
realistically view). I've tried to make sure that my identification is
correct, but if you find an error, please let me know.

The web site is located at http://www.GeoffSchultz.org/and you can find
the photos by clicking on the Photos button and then going into either
"2005 Sailing" or "Diving Photos Master Index."

I hope that you find this enjoyable and/or useful!

-- Geoff

20 May 2005 08:53:50
Greg Mossman
Re: Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

"Geoff Schultz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I hope that you find this enjoyable and/or useful!

I liked the dentist pictures. Can anyone go down there and work on teeth or
do you have to be a real dentist?

20 May 2005 11:14:08
Geoff Schultz
Re: Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

"Greg Mossman" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Geoff Schultz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>> I hope that you find this enjoyable and/or useful!
>
> I liked the dentist pictures. Can anyone go down there and work on
> teeth or do you have to be a real dentist?

Go to www.JungleMedicMissions.org if you're interested in assisting the
Jungle Medic in either dental or medical missions.

-- Geoff

20 May 2005 15:27:39
scubaran
Re: Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

Hi Geoff,

Nice pictures. I was on the Belize Aggressor in October and got a lot of
the same fish
you saw. I agree, Belize diving is amazing. You can check out my website
at:
http://www.randallgamby.com. One thing I wanted to tell you is you have a
lot of nice shots
and should protect them. If you try to click on my pictures you'll notice
you can't save them
(the icons don't come on when you move your mouse over them either). I used
to just post
my pictures but once I protected them it was amazing how many people started
writing asking
for copies (I hate to think how many pulled them down without permission).
Anyway, you've
got some nice stuff and I thought you should make sure you get credit for
all the time and effort
you took in taking them (btw, if you want the HTTP code I used, go to source
mode in your
browser and you can see the few lines of code I have on my pages).

thanks for sharing,
Randy

"Geoff Schultz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I spent 3-4 months this winter at Lighthouse Reef in Belize aboard my
> sailboat. We dove on average 2 times a day. I had just replaced my Se &
> Sea
> film camera with an Olympus C-8080 digital camera and spent the majority
> of
> my dives recording the marine life there.
>
> If you've never been to the atolls off of Belize, mark them on your must-
> see list for diving. I've dove most of the Caribbean, and imho the atolls
> of Belize rank tops in my list, with only Bonaire being in the same
> ranking. I will say that I haven't made it to the Caymans...yet...
>
> On my web site you'll find over 125 species of fish, 60+ creatures, 50
> some
> types of coral, sponges, etc, etc. I've also placed some movies that I've
> finally been able to edit (probably requires a broadband connection to
> realistically view). I've tried to make sure that my identification is
> correct, but if you find an error, please let me know.
>
> The web site is located at http://www.GeoffSchultz.org/and you can find
> the photos by clicking on the Photos button and then going into either
> "2005 Sailing" or "Diving Photos Master Index."
>
> I hope that you find this enjoyable and/or useful!
>
> -- Geoff

20 May 2005 14:47:07
Becca

Geoff Schultz wrote:

> The web site is located at http://www.GeoffSchultz.org/and you can find
> the photos by clicking on the Photos button and then going into either
> "2005 Sailing" or "Diving Photos Master Index."

Nice photos, thanks for sharing them. I especially enjoyed the
Guatamala village photos.

Becca

20 May 2005 15:08:23
Geoff Schultz
Re: Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

Randy,

Thanks for the suggestion, but your solution only stops the most basic
of image thiefs. If I view the source code I can see the path for the
image and simply paste that into the browser.

For example, in your Fish Gallery you have an image of a school of Fairy
Basslets. If I view the source I see that the image is located at
"Fish/fish020.jpg" so I pasted that into
"http://www.randallgamby.com/Fish/fish020.jpg"and I can see your image
and save it onto my hard drive. Just thought that you'd want to know.

-- Geoff

"scubaran" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> Nice pictures. I was on the Belize Aggressor in October and got a lot
> of the same fish
> you saw. I agree, Belize diving is amazing. You can check out my
> website at:
> http://www.randallgamby.com. One thing I wanted to tell you is you
> have a lot of nice shots
> and should protect them. If you try to click on my pictures you'll
> notice you can't save them
> (the icons don't come on when you move your mouse over them either).
> I used to just post
> my pictures but once I protected them it was amazing how many people
> started writing asking
> for copies (I hate to think how many pulled them down without
> permission). Anyway, you've
> got some nice stuff and I thought you should make sure you get credit
> for all the time and effort
> you took in taking them (btw, if you want the HTTP code I used, go to
> source mode in your
> browser and you can see the few lines of code I have on my pages).
>
> thanks for sharing,
> Randy
>
> "Geoff Schultz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>I spent 3-4 months this winter at Lighthouse Reef in Belize aboard my
>> sailboat. We dove on average 2 times a day. I had just replaced my Se
>> & Sea
>> film camera with an Olympus C-8080 digital camera and spent the
>> majority of
>> my dives recording the marine life there.
>>
>> If you've never been to the atolls off of Belize, mark them on your
>> must- see list for diving. I've dove most of the Caribbean, and imho
>> the atolls of Belize rank tops in my list, with only Bonaire being in
>> the same ranking. I will say that I haven't made it to the
>> Caymans...yet...
>>
>> On my web site you'll find over 125 species of fish, 60+ creatures,
>> 50 some
>> types of coral, sponges, etc, etc. I've also placed some movies that
>> I've finally been able to edit (probably requires a broadband
>> connection to realistically view). I've tried to make sure that my
>> identification is correct, but if you find an error, please let me
>> know.
>>
>> The web site is located at http://www.GeoffSchultz.org/and you can
>> find the photos by clicking on the Photos button and then going into
>> either "2005 Sailing" or "Diving Photos Master Index."
>>
>> I hope that you find this enjoyable and/or useful!
>>
>> -- Geoff

20 May 2005 16:28:26
scubaran
Re: Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

Hi,

Thanks Geoff. Guess I should do some further testing. At least, like you
said,
it keeps basic image thieves from taking the pictures :O)

> [...]
>>> the atolls of Belize rank tops in my list, with only Bonaire being in
>>> the same ranking. I will say that I haven't made it to the
>>> Caymans...yet...
>>>
>>> On my web site you'll find over 125 species of fish, 60+ creatures,
>>> 50 some
>>> types of coral, sponges, etc, etc. I've also placed some movies that
>>> I've finally been able to edit (probably requires a broadband
>>> connection to realistically view). I've tried to make sure that my
>>> identification is correct, but if you find an error, please let me
>>> know.
>>>
>>> The web site is located at http://www.GeoffSchultz.org/and you can
>>> find the photos by clicking on the Photos button and then going into
>>> either "2005 Sailing" or "Diving Photos Master Index."
>>>
>>> I hope that you find this enjoyable and/or useful!

20 May 2005 20:52:51
Rosalie B.
Re: Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

"scubaran" <[email protected] > wrote:

>Hi Geoff,
>
>Nice pictures. I was on the Belize Aggressor in October and got a lot of
>the same fish
>you saw. I agree, Belize diving is amazing. You can check out my website
>at:
>http://www.randallgamby.com. One thing I wanted to tell you is you have a
>lot of nice shots
>and should protect them. If you try to click on my pictures you'll notice
>you can't save them
>(the icons don't come on when you move your mouse over them either). I used
>to just post
>my pictures but once I protected them it was amazing how many people started
>writing asking
>for copies (I hate to think how many pulled them down without permission).
>Anyway, you've
>got some nice stuff and I thought you should make sure you get credit for
>all the time and effort
>you took in taking them (btw, if you want the HTTP code I used, go to source
>mode in your
>browser and you can see the few lines of code I have on my pages).
>
>thanks for sharing,
>Randy

The pictures I post are in such a small format that they will not be
any good to anyone for any kind of commercial use. They are reduced
to 500x500 pixels.

>"Geoff Schultz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>>I spent 3-4 months this winter at Lighthouse Reef in Belize aboard my
>> sailboat. We dove on average 2 times a day. I had just replaced my Se &
>> Sea
>> film camera with an Olympus C-8080 digital camera and spent the majority
>> of
>> my dives recording the marine life there.
>>
>> If you've never been to the atolls off of Belize, mark them on your must-
>> see list for diving. I've dove most of the Caribbean, and imho the atolls
>> of Belize rank tops in my list, with only Bonaire being in the same
>> ranking. I will say that I haven't made it to the Caymans...yet...
>>
>> On my web site you'll find over 125 species of fish, 60+ creatures, 50
>> some
>> types of coral, sponges, etc, etc. I've also placed some movies that I've
>> finally been able to edit (probably requires a broadband connection to
>> realistically view). I've tried to make sure that my identification is
>> correct, but if you find an error, please let me know.
>>
>> The web site is located at http://www.GeoffSchultz.org/and you can find
>> the photos by clicking on the Photos button and then going into either
>> "2005 Sailing" or "Diving Photos Master Index."
>>
>> I hope that you find this enjoyable and/or useful!
>>
>> -- Geoff

grandma Rosalie

24 May 2005 17:54:51
Dan Bracuk
Re: Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

"scubaran" <[email protected] > pounded away at his keyboard resulting
in:
: One thing I wanted to tell you is you have a
:lot of nice shots
:and should protect them. If you try to click on my pictures you'll notice
:you can't save them
:(the icons don't come on when you move your mouse over them either). I used
:to just post
:my pictures but once I protected them it was amazing how many people started
:writing asking
:for copies (I hate to think how many pulled them down without permission).
:Anyway, you've
:got some nice stuff and I thought you should make sure you get credit for
:all the time and effort
:you took in taking them (btw, if you want the HTTP code I used, go to source
:mode in your
:browser and you can see the few lines of code I have on my pages).
:
:thanks for sharing,
:Randy

I take a different approach. Anyone who wants one of my images badly
enough can have it. However, they are not going to get something as
good as the original because I try to keep all my image files under 60
Kbytes for downloading speed. Mom's still on dial-up.

Come to think about it, I would be very flattered if someone thought
highly enough of one of my images to claim credit for taking it.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

24 May 2005 17:57:12
Dan Bracuk
Re: Photos/Movies from Lighthouse Reef, Belize on-line

Geoff Schultz <[email protected] > pounded away at his keyboard
resulting in:

:Thanks for the suggestion, but your solution only stops the most basic
:of image thiefs. If I view the source code I can see the path for the
:image and simply paste that into the browser.
:
:For example, in your Fish Gallery you have an image of a school of Fairy
:Basslets. If I view the source I see that the image is located at
:"Fish/fish020.jpg" so I pasted that into
:"http://www.randallgamby.com/Fish/fish020.jpg"and I can see your image
:and save it onto my hard drive. Just thought that you'd want to know.

Or you can look for it in your Temporary Internet Files directory, or
whatever the equivalent is on your computer.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

25 May 2005 00:16:11
Rosalie B.

Dan Bracuk <[email protected] > wrote:
>I take a different approach. Anyone who wants one of my images badly
>enough can have it. However, they are not going to get something as
>good as the original because I try to keep all my image files under 60
>Kbytes for downloading speed. Mom's still on dial-up.
>
>Come to think about it, I would be very flattered if someone thought
>highly enough of one of my images to claim credit for taking it.
>
>Dan Bracuk
>If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

That's kind of what I do by default. My mom not only is still on
dial-up but she doesn't "do" attachments (she's almost 96) and she is
still on aol. I don't know whether it is worth it to her to move to
DSL and another ISP although she's pretty sharp still.

So I put all my photos on the Virtual Tourist website which reduces
them all to 500x500 size or the equivalent. These are OK for computer
viewing, but not for much else.

I have had someone take my pictures and use them for their own journal
on the internet without mentioning that they had done so or asking for
permission. I had given them some photos that I took of their boat
(and Bob gave them a cable TV antenna wire because they didn't have
one), and I guess they thought anything of mine was fair game.

I found this out because I was interested in how they were doing and
went and read their journal and I recognized my picture (which was of
a shrimp boat in Georgia). I wasn't sure what to do about it, and in
the end I didn't do anything. Because I would have given them
permission had they asked although I would have liked to have credit.

.

grandma Rosalie
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/