23 Oct 2003 07:03:29
dl004d
Palau questions

+ What kind of electricity plugs do they have? Ie: standard two-prong
plug? 110 volts? 220 volts? Is an adapter and converter necessary
when trying to use an appliance that operates on standard U.S.
electricity?

+ How many of the shops and restaurants take credit cards? I'm
guessing most places prefer, or only accept, cash. Are there many
ATMs in Koror? If not, what is the best way to use money?

+ The Palau Pacific Resort reportedly has the best beach. In
practice, can someone use that beach who isn't staying at the PPR?
What are other good sandy beaches?

23 Oct 2003 07:42:04
Greg Mossman
Re: Palau questions

"dl004d" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> + What kind of electricity plugs do they have? Ie: standard two-prong
> plug? 110 volts? 220 volts? Is an adapter and converter necessary
> when trying to use an appliance that operates on standard U.S.
> electricity?

No. Palau is the U.S., practically if not literally. U.S. electricity,
U.S. currency, U.S. language, U.S. diseases, U.S. prices.

> + How many of the shops and restaurants take credit cards? I'm
> guessing most places prefer, or only accept, cash. Are there many
> ATMs in Koror? If not, what is the best way to use money?

You won't have any problems using a credit card in many (most?) shops and
restaurants and hotels and dive ops, unless you leave Koror and go rustic.
There's nothing rustic about Koror. Didn't have the occasion to use ATMs,
but I'm sure they're there.

> + The Palau Pacific Resort reportedly has the best beach. In
> practice, can someone use that beach who isn't staying at the PPR?
> What are other good sandy beaches?

It's my understanding that the PPR facilities are open to the general public
for something like $20 or $30 a day. Free sse of the PPR facilities is
included with the Carolines Resort. As for other sandy beaches, the best
bet is to find one on the rock islands. Some even have picnic tables. Some
of them are privately owned, however, and landing is prohibited. Once you
get there, I'm sure you can find better advice.

24 Oct 2003 14:23:55
Daniel Kessler
Re: Palau questions

as to beaches, don't forget that they have a lot of salt water crocodiles
who have been known to stray out of their lairs in the mangroves and you
might be their tasty morel!

dl004d wrote:

> + What kind of electricity plugs do they have? Ie: standard two-prong
> plug? 110 volts? 220 volts? Is an adapter and converter necessary
> when trying to use an appliance that operates on standard U.S.
> electricity?
>
> + How many of the shops and restaurants take credit cards? I'm
> guessing most places prefer, or only accept, cash. Are there many
> ATMs in Koror? If not, what is the best way to use money?
>
> + The Palau Pacific Resort reportedly has the best beach. In
> practice, can someone use that beach who isn't staying at the PPR?
> What are other good sandy beaches?

24 Oct 2003 14:40:09
Brian Allen
Re: Palau questions

When are you going?
Brian

"dl004d" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> + What kind of electricity plugs do they have? Ie: standard two-prong
> plug? 110 volts? 220 volts? Is an adapter and converter necessary
> when trying to use an appliance that operates on standard U.S.
> electricity?
>
> + How many of the shops and restaurants take credit cards? I'm
> guessing most places prefer, or only accept, cash. Are there many
> ATMs in Koror? If not, what is the best way to use money?
>
> + The Palau Pacific Resort reportedly has the best beach. In
> practice, can someone use that beach who isn't staying at the PPR?
> What are other good sandy beaches?

24 Oct 2003 14:30:28
Greg Mossman
Re: Palau questions

"Daniel Kessler" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> as to beaches, don't forget that they have a lot of salt water crocodiles
> who have been known to stray out of their lairs in the mangroves and you
> might be their tasty morel!

Crocs eat mushrooms?

24 Oct 2003 23:29:08
Re: Palau questions

In <[email protected] > "Greg Mossman" wrote:
> "Daniel Kessler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > as to beaches, don't forget that they have a lot of salt water
crocodiles
> > who have been known to stray out of their lairs in the mangroves and
you
> > might be their tasty morel!
>
> Crocs eat mushrooms?

Those with taste will.

05 Nov 2003 10:55:56
dl004d
Re: Palau questions

> When are you going?
> Brian

I'm going for a couple weeks in January.