22 Oct 2003 22:11:10
Dive News
Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s031023/s031023.html

23 Oct 2003 00:12:41
Steve Wilbur
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

In article <[email protected] >, "Dive News"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck
>
> http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s031023/s031023.html

That's interesting. I'm scheduled to make this trip in December.

23 Oct 2003 21:57:50
rnf2
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

"Steve Wilbur" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, "Dive News"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck
> >
> > http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s031023/s031023.html
>
> That's interesting. I'm scheduled to make this trip in December.

instructor didn't come back up in an earlier trip, shark attack, now this,
dosen't sound too good.

rhys

23 Oct 2003 09:24:24
Slow Death
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

On 22 Oct 2003 22:11:10 -0500, "Dive News" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck
>
>http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s031023/s031023.html

From the news report: "Detectives last night interviewed 50 people --
all of the passengers and crew -- from the dive boat."

And today, Mike Ball's cowboys herded all of the cattle back out to
the reef!

Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

23 Oct 2003 10:44:56
CAS
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

"rnf2" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Steve Wilbur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Dive News"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck
> > >
> > > http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s031023/s031023.html
> >
> > That's interesting. I'm scheduled to make this trip in December.
>
> instructor didn't come back up in an earlier trip, shark attack, now this,
> dosen't sound too good.
>
> rhys

Erm... you didn't bother reading this bit then...

"Police communications co-ordinator Sergeant Nick Sellars said there were no
suspicious circumstances with the death..."

Shark attacks, I suspect, happen regardless of the operator (assuming of
course that they do shark feeds).

As for the instructor who died snorkelling after a "duck-dive"? Although I
can't find anything on the net about it, IMO that sounds very much like
"I'll just show off to these holiday snorkellers by showing them how deep I
can freedive.... Oh, bugger"

CAS

PS. Have a look back through the CDNN archives for exactly why they have a
chip on their shoulder about Mike Ball...
--
PADI AOW? Get Rescue Training on UKRS Course #1 -
http://divesite.calumscott.me.uk/ukrs/rescue_diver_2004

23 Oct 2003 19:01:06
Jerome Meekings

Slow Death <[email protected] > wrote:

> From the news report: "Detectives last night interviewed 50 people --
> all of the passengers and crew -- from the dive boat."

that is more than the crew and passengers. Passengers 28 max often less
crew 14
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me

23 Oct 2003 19:01:07
Jerome Meekings
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

Steve Wilbur <[email protected] > wrote:

> That's interesting. I'm scheduled to make this trip in December.

You will have a great time. Some if my pics from the same trip are at

http://meekings.net/diving/selected%20pics/index.html

--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me

23 Oct 2003 13:03:41
Daniel Kessler
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

not much helpful information in this post....doesn't indicate exactly
what might have happened.

I've dived the Yongala and there are currents there. The wreck is lying
upside down like the ship in the Posideon movie and I seem to recall
that those big groupers hang out at about 90 feet, maybe the bottom is
125 feet or 40 meters -- can't recall exactly. Then there was that
wondeful big ray that kept going back and forth on top of the wreck.
The viz is not the greatest there because of all of the scatter in the
water from the GBR excessive tides, washing in and out with fine
particles all stirred up in a thick broth.

I've also dived Flinders which has much clearer water and is quite a
considerable steam out there towards the Coral Sea, but not as far as
Marion Reef which is a very, very long steam. Don't recall any shark
feeding at Flinders, must be some new gimmick. It, too, is a rather
shallow reef, if I recall but maybe there's some portions where it gets
deeper. But if you're looking to take pix of beautiful corals, you just
go overside and there are huge and beautiful bommies all clustered with
exquisite corals all around that are easily accessible. I cant' imagine
how a diver, if experienced, could get into trouble there.

Dive News wrote:

> Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck
>
> http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s031023/s031023.html

23 Oct 2003 15:55:17
Godsdefeat
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

Is it still safe to dive near Townsville then? Going on my first trip next
year!

23 Oct 2003 15:35:53
Brian Nadwidny

Daniel Kessler wrote:

> not much helpful information in this post....doesn't indicate exactly
> what might have happened.
>
> I've dived the Yongala and there are currents there. The wreck is lying
> upside down like the ship in the Posideon movie

No it's not. It's on its' starboard side.

>and I seem to recall
> that those big groupers hang out at about 90 feet, maybe the bottom is
> 125 feet or 40 meters -- can't recall exactly.

90 ft to the bottom. I usually found the Groupers at around 75ish.

> Then there was that
> wondeful big ray that kept going back and forth on top of the wreck.
> The viz is not the greatest there because of all of the scatter in the
> water from the GBR excessive tides, washing in and out with fine
> particles all stirred up in a thick broth.

Sometimes true. Often not.

Brian
Edmonton, Alberta
www.mossmanscubaventures.com

23 Oct 2003 15:37:05
Brian Nadwidny

Godsdefeat wrote:

> Is it still safe to dive near Townsville then? Going on my first trip next
> year!

Why wouldn't it be?

Brian
Edmonton, Alberta
www.mossmanscubaventures.com

24 Oct 2003 07:50:31
John Anderson
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

G'day,

> Is it still safe to dive near Townsville then? Going on my first trip next
> year!

??? Dived locally last weekend and will again this weekend and don't
feel unduly nervous - of course Cleveland Bay is reputed to be a major
breeding ground for tiger sharks.

FWIW todays Tvl Bully reports Mike Balls GM Stan Kielbaska (in part):

"The first thing most knew of any problem was when he (her husband)
surfaced and said there was a problem.

But our trip director by that time had already detected a problem and
was bringing her up.

She still had her mask on and the regulator in her mouth.

She was a keen but not very experienced diver, though her husband was
but she was confident, fit and healthy.

She had used her own equipment which was relatively new and in good
condition and she still had air in her tank.

This has us stumped and baffled because it does not appear to be
dive-related"

Caveat: the bully has a local (deserved) reputation for not getting even
quotes right

BTW Google on "Yongala" for more accurate info than Daniel's recollections.

regards,

24 Oct 2003 06:25:31
Med
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

John Anderson wrote "This has us stumped and baffled because it does not
appear to be dive-related".
This is very possibly a heart condition known as Patent Foramen Ovale "PFO"
which kills unsuspecting divers who are otherwise healthy , what baffles me
is that 1 out of 5 of us have it & yet we don't get tested for it.
seehttp://www.scuba-doc.com/pfo.htm

24 Oct 2003 09:47:05
Michael Wolf

Med wrote:
> John Anderson wrote "This has us stumped and baffled because it does not
> appear to be dive-related".
> This is very possibly a heart condition known as Patent Foramen Ovale "PFO"
> which kills unsuspecting divers who are otherwise healthy , what baffles me
> is that 1 out of 5 of us have it & yet we don't get tested for it.
> seehttp://www.scuba-doc.com/pfo.htm

A PFO is seen as a (possible) cause of 'undeserved' DCS, and it won't
kill you (except perhaps in the worst of cases). It certainly doesn't
lead to a sudden death.

You can rule out a PFO here, IMO.

--
Michael Wolf

-----

Cthulhu For President.
Why settle for the lesser evil?

remove stopspam to reply

24 Oct 2003 14:03:10
Slow Death
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:01:06 +0900, [email protected]
(Jerome Meekings) wrote:

>Slow Death <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> From the news report: "Detectives last night interviewed 50 people --
>> all of the passengers and crew -- from the dive boat."
>
>that is more than the crew and passengers. Passengers 28 max often less
>crew 14

What? Only 28 cows chewing their cud and waiting to be slaughtered?

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 Oct 2003 17:34:16
Chris Guynn
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

"Med" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> John Anderson wrote "This has us stumped and baffled because it does not
> appear to be dive-related".
> This is very possibly a heart condition known as Patent Foramen Ovale
"PFO"
> which kills unsuspecting divers who are otherwise healthy , what baffles
me
> is that 1 out of 5 of us have it & yet we don't get tested for it.
> seehttp://www.scuba-doc.com/pfo.htm

Um, did you read the article you posted?

"Echocardiography is the tool of choice in making the diagnosis of PFO.
However, it's probably not a good idea to do an echocardiogram on all divers
because of the cost/benefit ratio."

I think that pretty well explains why we don't get it done.

25 Oct 2003 03:35:05
Jerome Meekings
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

Slow Death <[email protected] > wrote:

> What? Only 28 cows chewing their cud and waiting to be slaughtered?
>
> MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

That must have taken you such a long time and used so much of your brain
power. It would seem the little green god is showing.

--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me

24 Oct 2003 14:33:39
Greg Mossman
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

"Chris Guynn" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Echocardiography is the tool of choice in making the diagnosis of PFO.
> However, it's probably not a good idea to do an echocardiogram on all
divers
> because of the cost/benefit ratio."
>
> I think that pretty well explains why we don't get it done.

Cost is for strokes. I'm mainly worried about the pain. It's not a
"comfortable" procedure.

24 Oct 2003 21:41:26
Chris Guynn
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

"Greg Mossman" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Chris Guynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> > "Echocardiography is the tool of choice in making the diagnosis of PFO.
> > However, it's probably not a good idea to do an echocardiogram on all
> divers
> > because of the cost/benefit ratio."
> >
> > I think that pretty well explains why we don't get it done.
>
> Cost is for strokes. I'm mainly worried about the pain. It's not a
> "comfortable" procedure.

Dammit... I must be a stroke... :-)

26 Oct 2003 07:19:18
Dennis (Icarus)
Re: Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck

"Steve Wilbur" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, "Dive News"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Mike Ball Spoil Sport guest dies diving Yongala wreck
> >
> > http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s031023/s031023.html
>
> That's interesting. I'm scheduled to make this trip in December.

As Jerome Meekings said, you'll have a great time.
I was on the same trip - fantastic!

Dennis