31 Jan 2008 21:35:50
1/137
Getting to Bonaire from Canada?

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on how to get
to Bonaire from Toronto? Any particular recommendations, tips, etc.
Obviously flying is the approach. I gather going to Curacao is easier?

1/137

07 Feb 2008 15:20:22
Fred
Re: Getting to Bonaire from Canada?

We are going to Bonaire in November. Probably NY-Curaco; divi divi airline
Curacao - Bonaire. Its 20-30 min flight from Curacao (small plane).

"1/137" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on how to get
> to Bonaire from Toronto? Any particular recommendations, tips, etc.
> Obviously flying is the approach. I gather going to Curacao is easier?
>
> 1/137

09 Feb 2008 21:30:45
chilly
Re: Getting to Bonaire from Canada?

I'd like to know how people get to Bonaire from Calgary.

"Fred @optonline.net >" <biersf<xxx> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> We are going to Bonaire in November. Probably NY-Curaco; divi divi airline
> Curacao - Bonaire. Its 20-30 min flight from Curacao (small plane).
>
> "1/137" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on how to get
> > to Bonaire from Toronto? Any particular recommendations, tips, etc.
> > Obviously flying is the approach. I gather going to Curacao is easier?
> >
> > 1/137

10 Feb 2008 09:13:05
Greg Mossman

On Feb 9, 1:30=A0pm, "chilly" <[email protected] > wrote:
> I'd like to know how people get to Bonaire from Calgary.

Same as people do from L.A. Get to Houston and take the red-eye.
Continental also flies it out of Newark and Delta now makes the trip
from Atlanta, but I don't think you can get to Newark or Atlanta from
way up there in Canukistan without an intermediary stop.

10 Feb 2008 10:11:55
Ted T

On Jan 31, 4:35=A0pm, 1/137 <[email protected] > wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on how to get
> to Bonaire from Toronto? Any particular recommendations, tips, etc.
> Obviously flying is the approach. I gather going to Curacao is easier?
>
> 1/137

We have flown to Bonaire twice from Ottawa.

The first trip was through Toronto and Aruba on Air Canada. We then
caught Dutch Antilles Express to Bonaire.

The second time was through Neward and Curacao on Continental. We
then caught Dutch Antilles Express to Bonaire. The return on this
trip was Bonaire - Newark - Ottawa.

DAE is a bit of a challenge. They don't accept e-tickets for
boarding, so you must go to the ticket office with your e-ticket to
get the paper copy. Stupid, but this is their process. On the first
trip we had an interesting discussion with the ticket folks in Aruba
who initially told us that we had not paid for the tickets. It takes
a bit of patience at times.

On the second trip we mistakenly thought that we had tickets. Not
so. The folks at the check-in for DAE told us we had to go to the
ticket office to get the correct document. By the time we returned
they told us that there were no seats left on the flight. Again, it
take a bit of patience. Be aware of the challenges with DAE. I know
that we are not the only travellers who have had challenges.

We chose to go through Curacao to avoid the overnight flight.
Departure was early Saturday morning from Ottawa, then around 10:00 AM
from Newark to Curacao. We arrived in Bonaire around 6:00 PM. The
folks we met the next day who had taken the overnight flight were
pretty well wasted by the end of the first day.

Some friends of ours are going to Bonaire this month and the routing
is through San Juan.

Regardless of your routing, there may be challenges with the airlines
once you make it to the Carribean.

11 Feb 2008 04:57:44
chilly
Re: Getting to Bonaire from Canada?

"Greg Mossman" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]m...
On Feb 9, 1:30 pm, "chilly" <[email protected] > wrote:
> I'd like to know how people get to Bonaire from Calgary.

Same as people do from L.A. Get to Houston and take the red-eye.

** Didn't you tell me you took the Newark flight?

Continental also flies it out of Newark and Delta now makes the trip
from Atlanta, but I don't think you can get to Newark or Atlanta from
way up there in Canukistan without an intermediary stop.

**I can get to Newark. The problem is always going to be how can I get to
Bonaire in one day, also without having to sit up on a plane all night.

**If I wanted to do all the flight configurations and weird hours and such,
I'd probably go back to Bequia, where the diving was sweet, sweet, sweet.

**In Ted's post, he is telling us about some puddle jumper flight he had to
take to get to Bonaire. Didn't you fly right into Bonaire on Continental?

10 Feb 2008 23:27:57
Greg Mossman

On Feb 10, 8:57=A0pm, "chilly" <[email protected] > wrote:
> "Greg Mossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]m...
> On Feb 9, 1:30 pm, "chilly" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know how people get to Bonaire from Calgary.
>
> Same as people do from L.A. =A0Get to Houston and take the red-eye.
>
> ** Didn't you tell me you took the Newark flight?
>
> Continental also flies it out of Newark and Delta now makes the trip
> from Atlanta, but I don't think you can get to Newark or Atlanta from
> way up there in Canukistan without an intermediary stop.
>
> **I can get to Newark. =A0The problem is always going to be how can I get =
> Bonaire in one day, also without having to sit up on a plane all night.

You never said "in one day". You said "how people get to Bonaire from
Calgary" and I told you how. Now you're setting more conditions.
Next you'll want a limo, free drinks, and a masseur. Make up your
mind.

> **If I wanted to do all the flight configurations and weird hours and such=
,
> I'd probably go back to Bequia, where the diving was sweet, sweet, sweet.

What flight configurations? Fly into Houston. Walk over to the E
terminal. Sit in a bar until 10:45 p.m. Board plane. Sleep. Wake
up. Leave plane. You're in Bonaire. It's that easy. If the sleep
part doesn't come easy, take a pill or suffer like the rest of us red-
eye insomniacs and crash when you get to the island. There aren't any
time worries because it's not as if you have to get up at 6 or 7 the
next morning to dive. You can dive whenever you want.

> **In Ted's post, he is telling us about some puddle jumper flight he had t=
> take to get to Bonaire. =A0Didn't you fly right into Bonaire on Continenta=
l?

Of course. On a real plane, not a puddle jumper. 70lbs/bag for us
elitists plus hefty carry-on space. Free luggage carts in the arrival
lounge, the laxest customs officers in the Caribbean, and you're on
the way in your rental truck to your seaside condo resort. Sweet,
sweet, sweet.

11 Feb 2008 15:01:01
chilly

On Feb 10, 8:57 pm, "chilly" <[email protected] > wrote:

> > I'd like to know how people get to Bonaire from Calgary.
>
> Same as people do from L.A. Get to Houston and take the red-eye.

Without having to take the red-eye.

> ** Didn't you tell me you took the Newark flight?
>
> Continental also flies it out of Newark and Delta now makes the trip
> from Atlanta, but I don't think you can get to Newark or Atlanta from
> way up there in Canukistan without an intermediary stop.
>
> **I can get to Newark. The problem is always going to be how can I get to
> Bonaire in one day, also without having to sit up on a plane all night.

You never said "in one day". You said "how people get to Bonaire from
Calgary" and I told you how. Now you're setting more conditions.
Next you'll want a limo, free drinks, and a masseur. Make up your
mind.

**True enough. I should have been more clear. If I could get a limo, free
drinks and a masseur, then I'd want them, yes.

> **If I wanted to do all the flight configurations and weird hours and
such,
> I'd probably go back to Bequia, where the diving was sweet, sweet, sweet.

What flight configurations? Fly into Houston. Walk over to the E
terminal. Sit in a bar until 10:45 p.m. Board plane. Sleep. Wake
up. Leave plane. You're in Bonaire. It's that easy.

**Not for me it isn't.

If the sleep
part doesn't come easy, take a pill or suffer like the rest of us red-
eye insomniacs and crash when you get to the island.

**Sleeping all day, once I arrive completely defeats the point.

There aren't anytime worries because it's not as if you have to get up at 6
or 7 the
next morning to dive. You can dive whenever you want.

**I'd like to dive the first day of my vacation, not sleep it away. So,
can't you see how nice it would be if I could get there on the same day plan
as takes me to Belize and Roatan?

> **In Ted's post, he is telling us about some puddle jumper flight he had
> take to get to Bonaire. Didn't you fly right into Bonaire on Continental?

Of course. On a real plane, not a puddle jumper. 70lbs/bag for us
elitists plus hefty carry-on space. Free luggage carts in the arrival
lounge, the laxest customs officers in the Caribbean, and you're on
the way in your rental truck to your seaside condo resort. Sweet,
sweet, sweet.

** :^)