17 May 2005 22:23:37
Van Weng Koon
Diving in Vietnam

I'm planning a short 1 week dive vacation around end of July or early
August. Places that have been suggested to me are Nha Trang, Whale island
and Hoi An.
Has anybody dived these areas before. Any ideas, comments or views would be
appreciated.

Van

17 May 2005 15:17:51
George Cathcart
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Van Weng Koon wrote:
> I'm planning a short 1 week dive vacation around end of July or early
> August. Places that have been suggested to me are Nha Trang, Whale island
> and Hoi An.
> Has anybody dived these areas before. Any ideas, comments or views would be
> appreciated.
>
> Van

If you hear anything, please share it, or if anyone replies, please do
so publicly.

I have long wanted to go back to Vietnam and see the places I knew 36
years ago now that they're not being bombed. And while I'm there I'd
love to check out the reefs.

Beaches on the S. China Sea were beautiful. You'd think the reefs would
be, too, but I have heard otherwise. Apparently the preferred fishing
tackle there is dynamite, followed closely by cyanide. If that's true,
the diving probably sucks.

There are dive operators around Nha Trang. I too would like to hear
someone's personal experiences.

gc

18 May 2005 01:55:39
Grumman-581
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"George Cathcart" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have long wanted to go back to Vietnam and see the places I knew 36
> years ago now that they're not being bombed.

I'm not sure that is what my attitude would be... I would be more inclined
to think of it as an opportunity to kill the people I didn't get a chance to
kill the first time... Maybe I hold a grudge, but I figure that if they were
worth killing the first time, they are also worth killing the second time...

17 May 2005 22:49:04
Alan Street
Re: Diving in Vietnam

In article <[email protected]_s72 >, Grumman-581
<grumman###@gmail.com > wrote:

"George Cathcart" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have long wanted to go back to Vietnam and see the places I knew 36
> years ago now that they're not being bombed.

I'm not sure that is what my attitude would be... I would be more inclined
to think of it as an opportunity to kill the people I didn't get a chance to
kill the first time... Maybe I hold a grudge, but I figure that if they were
worth killing the first time, they are also worth killing the second time...

Why do you think they were worth killing the first time? It's not like
they invaded *your* country :-)

18 May 2005 05:56:41
Grumman-581
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"Alan Street" wrote in message
news:170520052249045732%[email protected]_san.rr.com...
> Why do you think they were worth killing the first time?

Well, we were over there to kill 'em, right? Must have been worth it... The
concept of, "Gee, we were trying to kill each other 35 years ago, let's just
shake hands and be friends" is rather alien to me...

> It's not like they invaded *your* country :-)

Yeah, if they invaded Texas, we would put them on the shrimp boats where
they belong... Uhhhh... That's where many of them ended up, come to think of
it... Never mind...

17 May 2005 23:07:07
Alan Street
Re: Diving in Vietnam

<grumman###@gmail.com > wrote:

"George Cathcart" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have long wanted to go back to Vietnam and see the places I knew 36
> years ago now that they're not being bombed.

Having started to swerve the conversation off-topic, I'd like to add
that I'm also very interested in information about diving in Vietnam
and Cambodia.

Alan

18 May 2005 06:02:09
nitespark
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Grumman-581 wrote:
> "George Cathcart" wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>I have long wanted to go back to Vietnam and see the places I knew 36
>>years ago now that they're not being bombed.
>

> I'm not sure that is what my attitude would be... I would be more inclined
> to think of it as an opportunity to kill the people I didn't get a chance to
> kill the first time... Maybe I hold a grudge, but I figure that if they were
> worth killing the first time, they are also worth killing the second time...

How about Germany,Japan, and Great Britian?

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.

18 May 2005 07:11:50
Daniel Arrepas
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"Grumman-581" <grumman###@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s71...

> "Gee, we were trying to kill each other 35 years ago, let's just
> shake hands and be friends" is rather alien to me...

I understand bitterness, and I don't know your history, so I wouldn't
presume to judge your comments on this subject.

To me, one of the best things about United States (and actually I find this
a North American trait, not just an US one) is our belief in second chance,
and the notion that second chance extends far beyond the simplicity of
personal economics or character rebirth. I don't see why friendships between
former combatants shouldn't get whatever number of chances required to make
peace beyond the silence of guns and bombs.

Upon this very moment, I would consider a fair swath of
Western Europe our enemy before I would assign that moniker to Vietnam. If
your people hate my people, it is a distinctly more real condition than when
only your government hates ours. Yet there is little doubt that should those
same Europeans ever wish to be friends again, Americans would not spurn an
opportunity to engage in a friendlier course of relationships.

Chirac must love us though....without the US he wouldn't have much of a
limelight to dance in :^)

18 May 2005 13:28:35
Daniel Kessler
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Do Vienam or Cambodia have reefs? Not every country that borders an ocean has
reefs. I found that out on two trips to India.

And as to France -- heading to Paris on Saturday and looking forward to having
"asperge blanc" or white asparagus (now in season) which I will dip in
Hollandaise -- and down the gullet -- with a nice glass of dry French Chablis!

One never gets food like this on a dive charter! I've always wanted to combine
great dining with great diving -- but more or less have given up on the
prospect.

Daniel Arrepas wrote:

> "Grumman-581" <grumman###@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s71...
>
> > "Gee, we were trying to kill each other 35 years ago, let's just
> > shake hands and be friends" is rather alien to me...
>
> I understand bitterness, and I don't know your history, so I wouldn't
> presume to judge your comments on this subject.
>
> To me, one of the best things about United States (and actually I find this
> a North American trait, not just an US one) is our belief in second chance,
> and the notion that second chance extends far beyond the simplicity of
> personal economics or character rebirth. I don't see why friendships between
> former combatants shouldn't get whatever number of chances required to make
> peace beyond the silence of guns and bombs.
>
> Upon this very moment, I would consider a fair swath of
> Western Europe our enemy before I would assign that moniker to Vietnam. If
> your people hate my people, it is a distinctly more real condition than when
> only your government hates ours. Yet there is little doubt that should those
> same Europeans ever wish to be friends again, Americans would not spurn an
> opportunity to engage in a friendlier course of relationships.
>
> Chirac must love us though....without the US he wouldn't have much of a
> limelight to dance in :^)

18 May 2005 07:58:44
Daniel Arrepas
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"Daniel Kessler" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> And as to France -- heading to Paris on Saturday

How convenient :^)

18 May 2005 14:07:10
Grumman-581
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"nitespark" wrote in message news:[email protected]
> How about Germany,Japan, and Great Britian?

I'd already considered that... For some reasons, I don't hold a grudge over
the War of 1812... I do know some guys who fought in WWII and refuse to buy
Japanese products even now... It was before my time, so I don't have strong
feelings on the subject...

18 May 2005 08:40:21
Greg Mossman
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"nitespark" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>> I'm not sure that is what my attitude would be... I would be more
>> inclined
>> to think of it as an opportunity to kill the people I didn't get a chance
>> kill the first time... Maybe I hold a grudge, but I figure that if they
>> were
>> worth killing the first time, they are also worth killing the second
>> time...
>>

> How about Germany,Japan, and Great Britian?

For that matter, how about the North and the South? Fortunately I'm a
laid-back Californian and not a true Yankee or I would have been forced to
duel over dinner against my sworn Virginian enemy.

18 May 2005 13:23:28
nitespark
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Greg Mossman wrote:
> "nitespark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>

>>>I'm not sure that is what my attitude would be... I would be more
>>>inclined
>>>to think of it as an opportunity to kill the people I didn't get a chance
>>>kill the first time... Maybe I hold a grudge, but I figure that if they
>>>were
>>>worth killing the first time, they are also worth killing the second
>>>time...
>>>

>>How about Germany,Japan, and Great Britian?
>

> For that matter, how about the North and the South? Fortunately I'm a
> laid-back Californian and not a true Yankee or I would have been forced to
> duel over dinner against my sworn Virginian enemy.

Well certainly we can find SOME aspect to unleash some mutual animosity.

Might I suggest those with hair and those that are follicularly
challenged??

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.

18 May 2005 10:43:24
Greg Mossman
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"nitespark" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Might I suggest those with hair and those that are follicularly
> challenged??

Rules of Engagement:

Our copious flowing locks get in our eyes, handicapping us, so we demand a
headstart. Also, you "shinier" types are more streamlined and create less
drag just like unbungied wings. So we demand an even bigger head start or
require that you wear bananas on your heads.

18 May 2005 17:46:35
Bill Fright
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Grumman-581 wrote:
> "George Cathcart" wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>I have long wanted to go back to Vietnam and see the places I knew 36
>>years ago now that they're not being bombed.
>

> I'm not sure that is what my attitude would be... I would be more inclined
> to think of it as an opportunity to kill the people I didn't get a chance to
> kill the first time... Maybe I hold a grudge, but I figure that if they were
> worth killing the first time, they are also worth killing the second time...

Hey look everybody! We just found an idiot who learns nothing from history!

18 May 2005 10:54:27
Scott
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"Bill Fright" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]

> Hey look everybody! We just found an idiot who learns nothing from
history!

Nice to meet you.

18 May 2005 14:31:19
nitespark
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Greg Mossman wrote:
> "nitespark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>

>>Might I suggest those with hair and those that are follicularly
>>challenged??
>

> Rules of Engagement:
>
> Our copious flowing locks get in our eyes, handicapping us, so we demand a
> headstart. Also, you "shinier" types are more streamlined and create less
> drag just like unbungied wings. So we demand an even bigger head start or
> require that you wear bananas on your heads.

A "headstart"?....your feeble attempt at pun-ridden levity is noted.

However, as to your dimished eyesight, the same banana that you want us
to wear could just as easily be used to enhance your visual periphery.
I might also suggest to compensate for your lack of streamlined profile,
you obtain a watermelon, cut it in half (bisect the circumference), then
hollow it out and place it on your head above the banana. You will then
achieve the same streamlined advanatage that you claim we enjoy.

18 May 2005 14:56:31
nitespark
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Grumman-581 wrote:
> "nitespark" wrote in message news:[email protected]
>
>>How about Germany,Japan, and Great Britian?
>

> I'd already considered that... For some reasons, I don't hold a grudge over
> the War of 1812... I do know some guys who fought in WWII and refuse to buy
> Japanese products even now... It was before my time, so I don't have strong
> feelings on the subject...

I have heard of Yankees that won't drink anything from a Dixie Cup.
--
I have never met a liberal street cop.

18 May 2005 15:10:57
Rick Simms
Re: Diving in Vietnam

On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:43:24 -0700, "Greg Mossman" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>"nitespark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>
>> Might I suggest those with hair and those that are follicularly
>> challenged??
>
>Rules of Engagement:
>
>Our copious flowing locks get in our eyes, handicapping us, so we demand a
>headstart. Also, you "shinier" types are more streamlined and create less
>drag just like unbungied wings. So we demand an even bigger head start or
>require that you wear bananas on your heads.

You - do not - bring bananas to a gun fight!

It's not dignified.

Rick Simms

"Second Marriage: The triumph of hope over experience."

Samuel Johnson

18 May 2005 15:34:55
nitespark
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Rick Simms wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:43:24 -0700, "Greg Mossman" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"nitespark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]
>>

>>>Might I suggest those with hair and those that are follicularly
>>>challenged??
>>
>>Rules of Engagement:
>>
>>Our copious flowing locks get in our eyes, handicapping us, so we demand a
>>headstart. Also, you "shinier" types are more streamlined and create less
>>drag just like unbungied wings. So we demand an even bigger head start or
>>require that you wear bananas on your heads.
>>

> You - do not - bring bananas to a gun fight!
>
> It's not dignified.

What if the opponent has a potato gun?

18 May 2005 12:54:07
Scott
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"nitespark" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Rick Simms wrote:

> > You - do not - bring bananas to a gun fight!
> >
> > It's not dignified.
>
> What if the opponent has a potato gun?

http://rjdudley.com/media/squirrel_launcher.wmv

18 May 2005 16:20:15
nitespark
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Scott wrote:
> "nitespark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>

>>Rick Simms wrote:
>

>>>You - do not - bring bananas to a gun fight!
>>>
>>>It's not dignified.
>>
>>What if the opponent has a potato gun?
>

> http://rjdudley.com/media/squirrel_launcher.wmv

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

"Aw Bullwinkle, that trick never works"

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.

18 May 2005 13:25:55
Scott
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"nitespark" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> >>What if the opponent has a potato gun?

> > http://rjdudley.com/media/squirrel_launcher.wmv

> "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

> "Aw Bullwinkle, that trick never works"

Ever see Harry Anderson pull a hat out of a rabbits ass?

18 May 2005 17:12:51
nitespark
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Scott wrote:

> "nitespark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

>>>http://rjdudley.com/media/squirrel_launcher.wmv
>

>>"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"
>

>>"Aw Bullwinkle, that trick never works"
>

> Ever see Harry Anderson pull a hat out of a rabbits ass?

Absolutely not!!! Mainly because I don't know who Harry Anderson is.

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.

18 May 2005 20:12:34
Dan Bracuk
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Daniel Kessler <[email protected] > pounded away at his
keyboard resulting in:
:One never gets food like this on a dive charter! I've always wanted to combine
:great dining with great diving -- but more or less have given up on the
:prospect.

I always like my liveaboard meals. In fact, I often really like my
resort meals too when I am on a dive trip.

But then again, maybe we like different types of food.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

19 May 2005 03:28:11
Grumman-581
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"Bill Fright" wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> Hey look everybody! We just found an idiot who learns nothing from
history!

Well, coming from one of those Austin liberals, that's not much of an
insult...

19 May 2005 21:43:42
Dillon Pyron
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Thus spake "Van Weng Koon" <[email protected] > :

>I'm planning a short 1 week dive vacation around end of July or early
>August. Places that have been suggested to me are Nha Trang, Whale island
>and Hoi An.
>Has anybody dived these areas before. Any ideas, comments or views would be
>appreciated.
>
>Van

Sorry, I can't go there until the middle of 2007.

--
dillon
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

19 May 2005 22:53:42
Chris Pflaum
Re: Diving in Vietnam

"Scott" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> http://rjdudley.com/media/squirrel_launcher.wmv

Does it work with cats?

19 May 2005 23:55:01
Re: Diving in Vietnam

On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:53:42 -0500, Chris Pflaum wrote:

> "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> http://rjdudley.com/media/squirrel_launcher.wmv
>>
> Does it work with cats?

Yes.

20 May 2005 13:17:49
Grumman-581
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Dillon Pyron wrote:
> Sorry, I can't go there until the middle of 2007.

Statute of limitations issue?

22 May 2005 00:38:05
Dillon Pyron
Re: Diving in Vietnam

Thus spake "Grumman-581" <[email protected] > :

>Dillon Pyron wrote:
>> Sorry, I can't go there until the middle of 2007.
>
>Statute of limitations issue?

Old security clearances. Very old.

--
dillon
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

23 May 2005 15:22:44
Rick Simms
Re: Diving in Vietnam

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:34:55 -0400, nitespark <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Rick Simms wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:43:24 -0700, "Greg Mossman" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"nitespark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]

>>>Rules of Engagement:
>>>
>>>Our copious flowing locks get in our eyes, handicapping us, so we demand a
>>>headstart. Also, you "shinier" types are more streamlined and create less
>>>drag just like unbungied wings. So we demand an even bigger head start or
>>>require that you wear bananas on your heads.
>>>

>> You - do not - bring bananas to a gun fight!
>>
>> It's not dignified.
>
>What if the opponent has a potato gun?

Bring a masher.