dry suit repair

I discovered three small (about 3 mm) horizontal slits in my latex wrist
seal and was wondering if there is a temporary fix that would get me through
a few dives before I have the seal replaced. Anybody have any ideas? The
slits are about 2 inches from the end of the cuff. Thanks for all answers.

08 Aug 2005 07:05:10
ben bradlee
Re: dry suit repair

"K" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I discovered three small (about 3 mm) horizontal slits in my latex wrist
> seal and was wondering if there is a temporary fix that would get me
> through
> a few dives before I have the seal replaced. Anybody have any ideas? The
> slits are about 2 inches from the end of the cuff. Thanks for all answers.

Duck tape will work. Duct tape will work. Just wrap the seal and it will
be good indefinitely. I've one wrist seal that has been wrapped with tape
since spring. I plan to fix it with Aqua Seal and not replace it.

08 Aug 2005 05:07:31
Dave C
Re: dry suit repair

K wrote:
> I discovered three small (about 3 mm) horizontal slits in my latex wrist
> seal and was wondering if there is a temporary fix that would get me through
> a few dives before I have the seal replaced. Anybody have any ideas? The
> slits are about 2 inches from the end of the cuff. Thanks for all answers.

I haven't done it, but....

Applying half-inch wide vinyl electrical tape would probably seal the
slits and hold adequately for each dive.

If you get the very thin tape (thickness, not width), it will have more
stretch and possibly be able to hold onto the latex through repeated
donnings and doffings, but I would just remove and reapply each time.

If you go full cirumference, avoid excessive constriction of your wrist
which might reduce blood flow. The tape won't need to be tight, just
well-adhered to the latex.

Otherwise, short lengths that extend past the ends of the slits a half
inch might work. It works with cuts in vinyl swimming rafts.

Also, wash the seals with soap and water for better tape adherence.

HTH.

Dave C

08 Aug 2005 20:24:11
Clive Dive
Re: dry suit repair

Use a bicycle puncture repair kit! If the tear is too big, go to
local cycle shop and buy some bigger 'trade' patches. Simple really when
you think about it! I always carry a puncture kit in my dive
bag...also works when your 'blow-up' friend goes flat on you.!!!

Diesel
Re: dry suit repair

Cheapskate!

Just get new seals fitted or do it yourself, it's not difficult or expensive
and far more reliable solution than bodging with tape or glue.