25 Jan 2005 17:58:52
Rudy Benner
Hilco Prescription Dive Mask - Fogging

I finally decided to get a prescription dive mask, so I would be able to
read my computer and more important, to see the display on my camera.

My optometrist convinced me to get the Hilco mask, the prescription part
slips inside the mask. I have tried everything I know to prevent the
prescription part from fogging up. I have no problem with any of my other
masks.

Any hints.

Rudy

25 Jan 2005 19:48:05
nitespark
Re: Hilco Prescription Dive Mask - Fogging

Rudy Benner wrote:

> I finally decided to get a prescription dive mask, so I would be able to
> read my computer and more important, to see the display on my camera.
>
> My optometrist convinced me to get the Hilco mask, the prescription part
> slips inside the mask. I have tried everything I know to prevent the
> prescription part from fogging up. I have no problem with any of my other
> masks.
>
> Any hints.
>
> Rudy

Rudy,
You say you have tried everything. I use Sea Drops in my mask
(non-prescription), and they are FAR better than anything else I have
tried. I used to use the 500psi but really did not like that stuff and
the residue it left.

You might check with your optometrist before doing this, but take a mild
abrasive whitening toothpaste and clean the lenses, just like you do a
new mask. Then try the standard anti-fog stuff everyone uses in their
mask.

Guess that old Canuck spit just ain't good enough.

Andy

25 Jan 2005 22:24:34
Rudy Benner
Re: Hilco Prescription Dive Mask - Fogging

"nitespark" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Rudy Benner wrote:
>
>> I finally decided to get a prescription dive mask, so I would be able to
>> read my computer and more important, to see the display on my camera.
>>
>> My optometrist convinced me to get the Hilco mask, the prescription part
>> slips inside the mask. I have tried everything I know to prevent the
>> prescription part from fogging up. I have no problem with any of my other
>> masks.
>>
>> Any hints.
>>
>> Rudy
>
> Rudy,
> You say you have tried everything. I use Sea Drops in my mask
> (non-prescription), and they are FAR better than anything else I have
> tried. I used to use the 500psi but really did not like that stuff and
> the residue it left.
>
> You might check with your optometrist before doing this, but take a mild
> abrasive whitening toothpaste and clean the lenses, just like you do a new
> mask. Then try the standard anti-fog stuff everyone uses in their mask.
>
> Guess that old Canuck spit just ain't good enough.
>
> Andy

Been there, done all that, 4 times already and its still fogs instantly. I
am wondering if perhaps the problem is the material used to make the lens on
the insert.

R.

26 Jan 2005 11:54:32
Lee Bell
Re: Hilco Prescription Dive Mask - Fogging

"Rudy Benner" wrote

> Been there, done all that, 4 times already and its still fogs instantly. I
> am wondering if perhaps the problem is the material used to make the lens
> on the insert.

That would be my guess. I've never had any luck keeping plastic lenses from
fogging. It's the primary reason I don't use them even for throw aways on
the boat. I have a couple of suggestions which may or may not be useful:
1. I assume you are farsighted. As far as I know that's the only reason for
using bonded lenses. If you're nearsighted, you can get off the shelf glass
lenses, ground to your prescription, for several brands of two window masks.
I know Tusa used to have them. I presume others do as well.
2. There's a product on the market that is designed to keep fog off mirrors
in bathrooms. I don't know the name of it, but it seems to work. At least
one diver I've known over the years, used it on his mask. He put it on
every morning and it lasted through the day. It's harder to apply than Sea
Drops, but apparently works better for him.
3. Usually, those that fog masks worse, do so because they are breathing
through their noses. The fog comes from the moisture in your breath that
condenses on the lens. It's not normally from the moisture in the air that
starts out in the mask. That's already at ambient temperature and does not,
normally, condense much. Break the breathing through your nose habit and
you may solve your problem. I can tell you, for sure, that I breath through
my nose. Sea Drops work for me, so I don't have to go through the process
of breaking the habit again, at least not right away. I'm far sighted and
getting more so. Unless they have something better by then, it won't be
long before I'll have to go with bonded lenses. When I do, I'll be very
certain they are glass and not plastic.
4. Take the mask back to your eye doctor and tell him to try again. He has
not provided you with a usable product and, if he's reasonable, should not
charge you for what you can't use. It's not like eye doctors are paupers.

Lee

27 Jan 2005 03:44:53
Mike Painter

Rudy Benner wrote:

> Been there, done all that, 4 times already and its still fogs
> instantly. I am wondering if perhaps the problem is the material used
> to make the lens on the insert.

Is the lens supposed to be "fog-proof"?
This works wonderfully until the material get impregnated with oil from
silicone spray or your hands then is difficult to keep clean.

Try some Joy soap (Yhe choice of the US NAVY several years ago) or no more
tears baby shampoo. Put a thin layer on before going in the water.

If you don't find a solution It's time to ask your doc why he suddggested
wjkhat he did. (So much for trying to touch type...suggested what he did.)

27 Jan 2005 14:57:44
Rudy Benner
Re: Hilco Prescription Dive Mask - Fogging

"Mike Painter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Rudy Benner wrote:
> >
>> Been there, done all that, 4 times already and its still fogs
>> instantly. I am wondering if perhaps the problem is the material used
>> to make the lens on the insert.
>>
> Is the lens supposed to be "fog-proof"?
> This works wonderfully until the material get impregnated with oil from
> silicone spray or your hands then is difficult to keep clean.
>
> Try some Joy soap (Yhe choice of the US NAVY several years ago) or no more
> tears baby shampoo. Put a thin layer on before going in the water.
>
> If you don't find a solution It's time to ask your doc why he suddggested
> wjkhat he did. (So much for trying to touch type...suggested what he did.)

I phoned my optometrist a couple of days ago warning them that I was coming
in tomorrow to return the mask. They know I will be coming in with an
attitude. I originally just wanted gauge readers glued in, instead I get a
piece of crap that I cannot see out of at all. I have run into some
information that perhaps the insert lens are made of a material that is
prone to fogging. Even after repeated cleaning and treatment, they INSTANTLY
bead up water. I will suggest they change the lenses to the same material as
the mask, if that works, fine, otherwise, a full refund and a copy of my
prescription so I can order what I need from somewhere else. I have a couple
of addresses.

Thanks for the tip, Mike.