29 May 2004 06:35:43
peter
shoes insert with high arch support?

I have a custom orthotics that is at least twice as thick as
over-the-counter ones (e.g. superfeet) and the top layer is made of EVA
(rubber-like stuff) so it is also shock aborbing.

I would like to put one set in each pair of shoes (running, walking, hiking)
but that custom orthotics cost $200 a pair. I'm looking for cheaper
substitute, with the understanding it won't be as good as the custom made
one, but would still be better than nothing.

Which over-the-counter shoes insert is thicker than the average, especially
in the arch and heel area?




29 May 2004 09:27:59
Parker Race
Re: shoes insert with high arch support?


"peter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have a custom orthotics that is at least twice as thick as
> over-the-counter ones (e.g. superfeet) and the top layer is made of EVA
> (rubber-like stuff) so it is also shock aborbing.
>
> I would like to put one set in each pair of shoes (running, walking,
hiking)
> but that custom orthotics cost $200 a pair. I'm looking for cheaper
> substitute, with the understanding it won't be as good as the custom made
> one, but would still be better than nothing.
>
> Which over-the-counter shoes insert is thicker than the average,
especially
> in the arch and heel area?
>
Do you have casts from the first pair?
Usually you can have a second pair made for much less than the first.
Mine were $265 but a second pair would be $80 if I got them within a year of
the first.
I was shocked when my insurance paid for 80% of my first pair.




29 May 2004 11:40:42
Doug Freese
Re: shoes insert with high arch support?


"peter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have a custom orthotics that is at least twice as thick as
> over-the-counter ones (e.g. superfeet) and the top layer is made
of EVA
> (rubber-like stuff) so it is also shock aborbing.
>
> I would like to put one set in each pair of shoes (running,
walking, hiking)
> but that custom orthotics cost $200 a pair. I'm looking for
cheaper
> substitute, with the understanding it won't be as good as the
custom made
> one, but would still be better than nothing.

But will they? Your custom ortotics can adjust many aspects where
the over the
counter fall way short. They may help a little but OTOH they may do
more harm.
As parker suggested, the second pair are usually cheaper since the
cost of mold
is covered with the first pair.

-DougF




29 May 2004 17:00:08
Dot
Re: shoes insert with high arch support?

peter wrote:
> I have a custom orthotics that is at least twice as thick as
> over-the-counter ones (e.g. superfeet) and the top layer is made of EVA
> (rubber-like stuff) so it is also shock aborbing.
>
> I would like to put one set in each pair of shoes (running, walking, hiking)
> but that custom orthotics cost $200 a pair. I'm looking for cheaper
> substitute, with the understanding it won't be as good as the custom made
> one, but would still be better than nothing.

Something to consider. What are your orthotics adjusting for? Are they
built evenly - look at profile. Since you're comparing them with
superfeet, are they full length? Are they compensating for something
like late pronation in the toe area?

The point being, will they be better than nothing - or perhaps worse? I
don't know. It's possible whoever prescribed your custom orthotics was
correcting for something legitimate or he/she may have just been making
a buck.

My anecdotal story. My feet are hard to fit (wide toebox, narrow heel,
high arch and instep), esp when adding the 3/4 orthotic on top the
original insert, so the sales people generally need to drag out multiple
models. Occasionally a sales person will suggest one of the more
sophisticated, full-length inserts including some that may mold to your
feet or you can cast your own mold/footbed or whatever (I've forgotten
the details). Then they look at my orthotic. While the total thickness
is about the same for left and right, the layering of different
materials is very different. All the knowledgeable (at least in my
opinion) shoe sales people that I've dealt with tell me to stick with my
custom ones. The off-the-shelf won't work for me.

YMMV obviously, but you need to understand what your orthotic is doing
for you and whether off-the-shelf will work.

>
> Which over-the-counter shoes insert is thicker than the average, especially
> in the arch and heel area?
>

I have used the green Spencos in hiking boots in the past, and they are
pretty thick. But that was before my achilles issues (perhaps *just*
before, but I can't remember since it was before my run logging days).

FWIW, I move my orthotics from shoe to shoe. While a 2nd pair would've
been cheaper than the original $400, it wasn't all that much cheaper, iirc.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope



29 May 2004 22:06:25
peter
Re: shoes insert with high arch support?

Yeah, I have a pair of wooden casts made when the first orthotics were made.

In my case, there is no discount for making a second pair. Perhaps they
billed me separately for making the cast (but it wasn't clear from the
medical bill).

What company would make the 2nd pair for $80 (within a year)? It wouldn't
happen to be near seattle, would it?

I wonder if there are places I can take my casts to and have custom
orthotics made without going through a physical therapist (middle man).

Even when wearing the custom orthotics, my ankle still bother me a little
bit. Which led me to think perhaps even custom made ones are not perfect.

-peter

"Parker Race" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Do you have casts from the first pair?
> Usually you can have a second pair made for much less than the first.
> Mine were $265 but a second pair would be $80 if I got them within a year
of
> the first.
> I was shocked when my insurance paid for 80% of my first pair.




30 May 2004 00:09:20
Parker Race
Re: shoes insert with high arch support?


"peter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yeah, I have a pair of wooden casts made when the first orthotics were
made.
>
> In my case, there is no discount for making a second pair. Perhaps they
> billed me separately for making the cast (but it wasn't clear from the
> medical bill).
>
> What company would make the 2nd pair for $80 (within a year)? It wouldn't
> happen to be near seattle, would it?

No, I'm in New York, I don't know who actually made them I got them from a
Podiatrist.

>
> I wonder if there are places I can take my casts to and have custom
> orthotics made without going through a physical therapist (middle man)

I don't know, maybe.

>
> Even when wearing the custom orthotics, my ankle still bother me a little
> bit. Which led me to think perhaps even custom made ones are not perfect.
>
> -peter






31 May 2004 15:42:06
Travers Waker
Re: shoes insert with high arch support?


> Which over-the-counter shoes insert is thicker than the average,
especially
> in the arch and heel area?

You can try to get hold of these:

http://www.formthotics.co.nz/html/product_range.html

The blue (firm density) ones work great for me. I'm not sure if they're
available in the US, though (assuming you're in the US).

There is a US contact listed on
http://www.formthotics.co.nz/html/sources.html