30 Mar 2005 12:09:20
minws13
another 5 b question (balls)

trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i read
is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the number of
catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired soon.
Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and stuff
for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you guys
use???????
Another question that popped into my mind is if going from 4b shower to a
5b shower is easier than going from the 3 to the 5b cascade.
THANX

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



30 Mar 2005 13:15:36
gantenbein
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

Hi!

I think you are doing fine . Five balls takes some time so be patient.
Don't worry too much about the type of ball you are using. I've been using
lacrosse balls (outdoors) and DX dream 68 mm (indoors). Both should be
somewhat bigger and heavier than yours. If you like your balls I'm sure
they are fine for learning the 5 ball cascade. If you get tired easily
it’s probably not because the balls are to heavy, but because you are
wasting energy due to some flaw in your technique. At least that’s my
personal experience. Try to throw and catch very relaxed. Try to get a
good five ball juggler to look at your pattern. My guess would be that he
can point out some ways to improve your technique.

HTH

gantenbein




----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



30 Mar 2005 13:57:12
Hexagonic
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

gantenbein wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think you are doing fine . Five balls takes some time so be patient.
> Don't worry too much about the type of ball you are using. I've been using
> lacrosse balls (outdoors) and DX dream 68 mm (indoors). Both should be
> somewhat bigger and heavier than yours. If you like your balls I'm sure
> they are fine for learning the 5 ball cascade. If you get tired easily
> it’s probably not because the balls are to heavy, but because you are
> wasting energy due to some flaw in your technique. At least that’s my
> personal experience. Try to throw and catch very relaxed. Try to get a
> good five ball juggler to look at your pattern. My guess would be that he
> can point out some ways to improve your technique.
>
> HTH
>
> gantenbein
>


As above but listen to the pattern, you can tell a good pattern if the
catches are evenly spaced. If you hear a good five ball juggler
practicing, you'll hear the catches coming in evenly spaced, not catch,
catch catchcatch catch etc. As for the balls you use, i would
recommend using whatever you feel comfortable using, i prefer softer balls
that stick to the hand once caught, but that's personal liking.

As Gantenbein says, 5b takes a while, so yeah be patient. I always find
that stopping counting will help, even tho it's slightly frustrating
knowing u've just beaten a record but not knowing how much by.
concentrating on the pattern more than the counting ususally blesses me
with a nice long run!

Keep it going!

Will
>
>
>
> ----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



30 Mar 2005 13:57:57
skatejuggler
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

It took me 6 months to reach 100 catches. A month later i did already over
200 ...
Just be patient and practise a lot, the rest will follow.

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



30 Mar 2005 14:13:26
thecrazyjuggler
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

minws13 wrote:

>I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired soon.

55cm? thats sounds huge to me.......if you get tired, use smaller balls:p
just kidding anyway....

the crazy juggler




----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



30 Mar 2005 06:22:13
Brian Louisos
Re: another 5 b question (balls)




Last night, after working all day, I came home and picked up 5b. No
warm-up, no practice runs, and my first 5b run was an un-clean finish
of about 230 catches.
You say you've gotten a max of about 60 catches, after three months,
and that the number of catches is not steady. Welcome to the club. That
sounds almost exactly like me (and I'm sure a bunch of other people)
when we were first learning. Be content at what you have. I imagine you
can get 30 catches pretty regularly, and there's nothing wrong with
that after three months. In another 5 months you should start hitting
the hundred mark now and then, if not regularly.
Don't be afraid to experiment with variations. This is probably a
good time to start with overthrows, and half showers if you like. It
will help ingrain the standard pattern.
As for 3bc- >5bc vs 4bs->5bs I'd say that yeah, going from 4bs to
5bs is probably easier. But don't let that fool you. Its still pretty
hard. I'd bet good money that the next person to post will say
otherwise though.

---Brian



30 Mar 2005 15:44:54
Stu Carter
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, skatejuggler wrote:

> It took me 6 months to reach 100 catches. A month later i did already
> over 200 ... Just be patient and practise a lot, the rest will follow.

I've been juggling five balls on and off for 10 years. I think I've hit
100 catches once. :)

Despite having not really juggled for about 5 years, it's the one thing I
still practice. So much more impressive than three for members of the
general public.



Keep it up!


Cheers,

Stu


30 Mar 2005 16:14:19
glaowski
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

minws13 wrote:
> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade.

Try some tricks! I'm not saying never work on endurance, but if you carry
on juggling, your 5 balls will improve anyway.
Try some overthetop & it's variations, and maybe even some claw catches.
Also go in and out of multiplexes. (for instance.)

From what I can tell, the above is probably useless advice for 7 balls.
Any thoughts?

Matt

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



30 Mar 2005 16:37:43
linoo
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

U are making very good progress.
It is only easy for those who can allready do it.

Practice the reverse cascade and half shower as well.
U will get enough catches soon.

And if u havent spent enough time on your 4b siteswaps,
go back there and spent some more.

Lin..


minws13 wrote:
> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i read
> is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
> about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the number of
> catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired soon.
> Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and stuff
> for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you guys
> use???????
> Another question that popped into my mind is if going from 4b shower to a
> 5b shower is easier than going from the 3 to the 5b cascade.
> THANX
>
> ----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



30 Mar 2005 18:53:52
Giocoliere
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

minws13 wrote:
> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i read
> is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
> about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the number of
> catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired soon.
> Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and stuff
> for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you guys
> use???????
> Another question that popped into my mind is if going from 4b shower to a
> 5b shower is easier than going from the 3 to the 5b cascade.
> THANX

Well late me tell you about me... I guess you'll fell better... I started
on 5bon september 03, that month i was getting many throws(many because at
first u know that you can't just count and juggle at the same time;)) the
following months i couldn't get more than 20 catches... like 5 months
later i felt it was getting solid since i got to 30 catches and sometimes
to 40 or 50... so to make the long story short sometimes i get easily to
30, sometimes get to 50 or 80 every once in a while... but just can't say
still that i can do it right... but like the other guys guys said I try
other patterns no matter my 5bcascade is not solid yet, like 2 weeks ago i
finally got the gatto's multiplex so i'm happy, sometimes try the
overthrow and half shower but concentrate on the blessing 5bc most of the
time, I'll follow the stop countint advice 'cause i know is a barrier to
be getting to your highest record, so stop counting and keep your elbows
near your body, relax and breath!!! and good luck to everyone that is on
5b, is amazing the feeling of doin' it... moses
>
> ----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



30 Mar 2005 12:57:36
Adam
Re: another 5 b question (balls)


minws13 wrote:
> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i
read
> is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
> about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the
number of
> catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired
soon.
> Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and
stuff
> for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you
guys
> use???????
> Another question that popped into my mind is if going from 4b shower
to a
> 5b shower is easier than going from the 3 to the 5b cascade.
> THANX
>
> ----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----

After a few years of daily practice, yes, for many people the 5b
cascade becomes easy. For some its easy in a matter of months or less,
but it's generally considered really hard to learn. You're doing
great, if you keep practicing everyday you will continue to improve.
The getting tired thing depends on a few things, like how much you have
to fix your pattern and how in shape you are. The only thing to be
concerned about is if you develop joint pain.

Adam



31 Mar 2005 00:42:39
glick525
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

minws13 wrote:
> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i read
> is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
> about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the number of
> catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired soon.
> Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and stuff
> for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you guys
> use???????
> Another question that popped into my mind is if going from 4b shower to a
> 5b shower is easier than going from the 3 to the 5b cascade.
> THANX
>
> ----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----

Well, all i can say is that different people learn at different rates.
Dont try to compare your results on a timeframe to others. I started
juggling 5 balls 1-3 months ago, and get consistent runs of 50, and have
hit 100 a couple of times when i have been outside. like other people
say, try the half-shower, and mess around with reverse cascade too, they
help to spice things up. although, once you have a rather solid cascade,
lets say 50+ catches, the half shower comes pretty naturally. GOOD LUCK,
and keep at it, the 5b cascade is a very awesome thing, and something
worth your time to accomplish!

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



31 Mar 2005 09:27:20
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jani_Kyll=F6nen
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

minws13 wrote:
> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i read
> is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
> about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the number of
> catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired soon.
> Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and stuff
> for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you guys
> use???????

When I was learning five (probably slower than you are right now), I
made a set of loosely filled cube-shaped beanbags that were pretty
small. I don't know if I got better because of:

a) the new beanbags
b) me using different kinds of beanbags
c) me just being ready

Try another set of balls/beanbags, it can't do you any harm. You could
also try wrist weights if you think that fatigue is a factor.

Five balls takes time, you just have to accept it. It often feels
desperate because for many jugglers it's the first trick that they
really have to work hard on. There is no short cuts. At least for me
everything until that point (and anything I've learnt since) has been a
piece of piss compared to the mountain that was five balls.

Go juggle. Come back if you haven't broken 100 by christmas.

jani


31 Mar 2005 07:49:55
erik_jernqvist
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

minws13 wrote:
> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i read
> is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
> about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the number of
> catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired soon.
> Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and stuff
> for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you guys
> use???????

Why do your runs stop? Try to analyze that. Are you usin beanbags or
balls. If you are using beanbags get some tennisballs, put some sand in
them and close them with tape. Thats the balls I use for longer runs,
because they give you better from (or so has I heard). Also, have you
tried six, five will seem slower after that.

Just my two ören.

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



31 Mar 2005 09:02:35
Mutton
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

Jani Kyllönen wrote:
> minws13 wrote:
>
>> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i read
>> is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
>> about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the
>> number of
>> catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired
>> soon.
>> Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and
>> stuff
>> for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you guys
>> use???????
>
>
> When I was learning five (probably slower than you are right now), I
> made a set of loosely filled cube-shaped beanbags that were pretty
> small. I don't know if I got better because of:
>
> a) the new beanbags
> b) me using different kinds of beanbags
> c) me just being ready
>
> Try another set of balls/beanbags, it can't do you any harm. You could
> also try wrist weights if you think that fatigue is a factor.

Just want to clarify Jani's statement: if you do decide to use wrist
weights don't use them while trying five. Use them with 3 or maybe 4
balls. I'd imagine working on five with weights would be twice as
frustrating.

>
> Five balls takes time, you just have to accept it. It often feels
> desperate because for many jugglers it's the first trick that they
> really have to work hard on. There is no short cuts. At least for me
> everything until that point (and anything I've learnt since) has been a
> piece of piss compared to the mountain that was five balls.
>
> Go juggle. Come back if you haven't broken 100 by christmas.
>
> jani

- Andrew


31 Mar 2005 18:36:54
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jani_Kyll=F6nen
Re: another 5 b question (balls)

Mutton wrote:
> Jani Kyllönen wrote:
>
>> minws13 wrote:
>>
>>> trying and trying to reach 100 catches in a 5b cascade. From what i read
>>> is lookes like it is easy. not for me... I've been trying 5 balls for
>>> about 3 months and can't get more than 60. the thing is that the
>>> number of
>>> catches is never steady. I'm using 55cm, 125gr balls and I get tired
>>> soon.
>>> Are they too heavy? What do you recommend on size, weight, touch and
>>> stuff
>>> for a begginer in learning a 5b cascade? What kind of balls do you
>>> guys
>>> use???????
>>
>>
>>
>> When I was learning five (probably slower than you are right now), I
>> made a set of loosely filled cube-shaped beanbags that were pretty
>> small. I don't know if I got better because of:
>>
>> a) the new beanbags
>> b) me using different kinds of beanbags
>> c) me just being ready
>>
>> Try another set of balls/beanbags, it can't do you any harm. You could
>> also try wrist weights if you think that fatigue is a factor.
>
> Just want to clarify Jani's statement: if you do decide to use wrist
> weights don't use them while trying five. Use them with 3 or maybe 4
> balls. I'd imagine working on five with weights would be twice as
> frustrating.

Of course. Thanks.

jani


31 Mar 2005 17:37:52
minws13
Re: another 5 b question (balls)


>
> Why do your runs stop? Try to analyze that. Are you usin beanbags or
> balls. If you are using beanbags get some tennisballs, put some sand in
> them and close them with tape. Thats the balls I use for longer runs,
> because they give you better from (or so has I heard). Also, have you
> tried six, five will seem slower after that.
>
> Just my two ören.
>
> ----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----

Thanks for all the help guys, it is just that you get fed up sometimes and
want to give up. So frustrating... The idea for the tennis balls looks
nice I've seen it before. The Thing Is One. PRACTICE....
But the feeling when you make a good run...

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----