13 Apr 2004 16:40:12
Tackleberry
need cricket help

i would like to know what are the most famous grounds in all the test
playing nations.

I know Lords is england's.

Sabina Park for WI? not sure.

can someone help me out in naming the hallowed grounds of each test team
please.




14 Apr 2004 10:19:22
Jason Derby
Re: need cricket help

"Tackleberry" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i would like to know what are the most famous grounds in all the test
> playing nations.
>
> I know Lords is england's.
>
> Sabina Park for WI? not sure.
>
> can someone help me out in naming the hallowed grounds of each test team
> please.
>

England - As you said definately Lord's.
Australia - MCG
South Africa - The Wanderers I'd say
West Indies - tough one, not sure that any has a reputation as hallowed turf
but Port of Spain, Bridgetown and Sabina Park probably all have a claim.
India - Eden Gardens, Kolkata
Pakistan - Karachi or Lahore, doesn't really matter either way.
New Zealand - Probably Eden Park, Auckland
Sri Lanka - Colombo (SSSC) I suppose only because they play most of their
tests there.
Zimbabwe - who cares, you could hardly call any cricket ground there
hallowed
Bangladesh - ditto

Regards,
Jason




14 Apr 2004 13:36:11
Will
Re: need cricket help

I'd say either Port of Spain or Bridgetown for WI

Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG and
SCG

"Jason Derby" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Tackleberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > i would like to know what are the most famous grounds in all the test
> > playing nations.
> >
> > I know Lords is england's.
> >
> > Sabina Park for WI? not sure.
> >
> > can someone help me out in naming the hallowed grounds of each test team
> > please.
> >
>
> England - As you said definately Lord's.
> Australia - MCG
> South Africa - The Wanderers I'd say
> West Indies - tough one, not sure that any has a reputation as hallowed
turf
> but Port of Spain, Bridgetown and Sabina Park probably all have a claim.
> India - Eden Gardens, Kolkata
> Pakistan - Karachi or Lahore, doesn't really matter either way.
> New Zealand - Probably Eden Park, Auckland
> Sri Lanka - Colombo (SSSC) I suppose only because they play most of their
> tests there.
> Zimbabwe - who cares, you could hardly call any cricket ground there
> hallowed
> Bangladesh - ditto
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>
>




14 Apr 2004 14:25:06
Mike Price
Re: need cricket help

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:36:11 +1000, "Will" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG and
>SCG

Id have to say MCG no question.


14 Apr 2004 15:51:36
Jason Derby
Re: need cricket help

"Will" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'd say either Port of Spain or Bridgetown for WI
>
> Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG and
> SCG
>

MCG hosted the first ever test. Boxing Day test is the biggest test match in
the Australian calendar and has been for quite a while. I think the MCG wins
hands down.

Regards,
Jason




14 Apr 2004 18:25:15
Will
Re: need cricket help

Yeah ok, fair enough

yeah the boxing dad test is always huge.

incase i say MCG then. :)

"Jason Derby" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I'd say either Port of Spain or Bridgetown for WI
> >
> > Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG
and
> > SCG
> >
>
> MCG hosted the first ever test. Boxing Day test is the biggest test match
in
> the Australian calendar and has been for quite a while. I think the MCG
wins
> hands down.
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>
>




14 Apr 2004 04:29:15
Moby
Re: need cricket help

Mike Price <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:36:11 +1000, "Will" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG and
> >SCG
>
> Id have to say MCG no question.

Surprised you haven't considered the claim of the WACA Ground. If
we're talking "most famous" here, then surely it's the Australian
ground that draws most cricket comment from around the world.

Moby


14 Apr 2004 19:44:07
Jason Derby
Re: need cricket help

"Moby" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Mike Price <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] >...
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:36:11 +1000, "Will" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG
and
> > >SCG
> >
> > Id have to say MCG no question.
>
> Surprised you haven't considered the claim of the WACA Ground. If
> we're talking "most famous" here, then surely it's the Australian
> ground that draws most cricket comment from around the world.
>
> Moby

Yes perhaps, but I'd say that using "hallowed turf" as the major criteria
would make the MCG the obvious choice.

Regards,
Jason




15 Apr 2004 01:20:50
Craig Sutton
Re: need cricket help


"Jason Derby" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Tackleberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > i would like to know what are the most famous grounds in all the test
> > playing nations.
> >
> > I know Lords is england's.
> >
> > Sabina Park for WI? not sure.
> >
> > can someone help me out in naming the hallowed grounds of each test team
> > please.

> New Zealand - Probably Eden Park, Auckland

Basin Reserve in Wellington a true cricket ground not some weird freaky
shaped rugby ground.




15 Apr 2004 09:35:12
EJ
Re: need cricket help

I agree - there is nothing like the hum of a massive crowd at the MCG -
lead up tests are just the lead up to the Boxing Day test - biggest TV
audience as well I would think. Sitting back digesting Xmas festivities and
watching the test. An Aussie tradition.

"Jason Derby" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I'd say either Port of Spain or Bridgetown for WI
> >
> > Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG
and
> > SCG
> >
>
> MCG hosted the first ever test. Boxing Day test is the biggest test match
in
> the Australian calendar and has been for quite a while. I think the MCG
wins
> hands down.
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>
>




15 Apr 2004 05:14:29
Moby
Re: need cricket help

"Jason Derby" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Moby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Mike Price <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:36:11 +1000, "Will" <[email protected]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > >Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG
> and
> > > >SCG
> > >
> > > Id have to say MCG no question.
> >
> > Surprised you haven't considered the claim of the WACA Ground. If
> > we're talking "most famous" here, then surely it's the Australian
> > ground that draws most cricket comment from around the world.

> Yes perhaps, but I'd say that using "hallowed turf" as the major criteria
> would make the MCG the obvious choice.

Hallowed turf, my arse. Aside from being the largest cricket ground
in Australia, it's really got bugger all else to its name.

And it was "most famous" anyway.

Moby


15 Apr 2004 21:23:50
Jason Derby
Re: need cricket help

"Moby" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Jason Derby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] >...
> > "Moby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Mike Price <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:36:11 +1000, "Will"
<[email protected] >
> > > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > >Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the
MCG
> > and
> > > > >SCG
> > > >
> > > > Id have to say MCG no question.
> > >
> > > Surprised you haven't considered the claim of the WACA Ground. If
> > > we're talking "most famous" here, then surely it's the Australian
> > > ground that draws most cricket comment from around the world.
>
> > Yes perhaps, but I'd say that using "hallowed turf" as the major
criteria
> > would make the MCG the obvious choice.
>
> Hallowed turf, my arse. Aside from being the largest cricket ground
> in Australia, it's really got bugger all else to its name.
>

Apart from having hosted the first official test match, having hosted the
most test matches of any ground in Australia and hosting the most popular
and well known test match of the Australian calendar.

> And it was "most famous" anyway.
>

I'd say that it would probably be the most famous despite the WACA's
reputation. And he finished his post by asking which grounds were the
hallowed turf of each test team.

Regards,
Jason




16 Apr 2004 10:53:21
witt
Re: need cricket help

SCG still has its original members stand...and scoreboard but its
behind a grandstand now...

Never been there but Ritchie is always saying that the Adelaide Oval is
the most picturesque ground in the world...if so, that would make it
famous enough...

In here it depends on what state your from...or in...

In article <[email protected] >, EJ <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I agree - there is nothing like the hum of a massive crowd at the MCG -
> lead up tests are just the lead up to the Boxing Day test - biggest TV
> audience as well I would think. Sitting back digesting Xmas festivities and
> watching the test. An Aussie tradition.
>
> "Jason Derby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > I'd say either Port of Spain or Bridgetown for WI
> > >
> > > Aus - i reckon this is a bit tricky, i'd say a toss up between the MCG
> and
> > > SCG
> > >
> >
> > MCG hosted the first ever test. Boxing Day test is the biggest test match
> in
> > the Australian calendar and has been for quite a while. I think the MCG
> wins
> > hands down.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jason
> >
> >
>
>


16 Apr 2004 11:29:02
Jason Derby
Re: need cricket help

"witt" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:160420041053215368%[email protected]
> SCG still has its original members stand...and scoreboard but its
> behind a grandstand now...
>
> Never been there but Ritchie is always saying that the Adelaide Oval is
> the most picturesque ground in the world...if so, that would make it
> famous enough...
>
> In here it depends on what state your from...or in...
>

Only to some. I'm from WA. I'm not trying to mount an argument in the WACA's
favour.

Regards,
Jason




16 Apr 2004 11:29:52
EJ
Re: need cricket help

Likewise - I'm from QLD
EJ
"Jason Derby" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "witt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:160420041053215368%[email protected]
> > SCG still has its original members stand...and scoreboard but its
> > behind a grandstand now...
> >
> > Never been there but Ritchie is always saying that the Adelaide Oval is
> > the most picturesque ground in the world...if so, that would make it
> > famous enough...
> >
> > In here it depends on what state your from...or in...
> >
>
> Only to some. I'm from WA. I'm not trying to mount an argument in the
WACA's
> favour.
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>
>




19 Apr 2004 23:15:31
Allstarnz
Re: need cricket help

"Craig Sutton" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Jason Derby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Tackleberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > i would like to know what are the most famous grounds in all the test
> > > playing nations.
> > >
> > > I know Lords is england's.
> > >
> > > Sabina Park for WI? not sure.
> > >
> > > can someone help me out in naming the hallowed grounds of each test
team
> > > please.
>
> > New Zealand - Probably Eden Park, Auckland
>
> Basin Reserve in Wellington a true cricket ground not some weird freaky
> shaped rugby ground.
>
>

exactly... and it always hosts Test Matches too.

To be honest we don't really have a hallowed ground, but the Basin is the
closest IMO.

Allstarnz