27 Oct 2004 19:37:07
Neal Miyake
Back to Bodyboarding -- 10/15/04

Date: October 15, 2004
Time: 0800--1100
Spot(s): Pipe/BD/OTW
Conditions: Mostly light trades, typical (but local) Ehukai crowds
Swell: Significantly declined from the previous days, but still fun
Surf: 2-4'+ Haw'n

Words: With the Brewer getting first aid, I decided to go back to my
roots and bodyboard Pipe. When I got there, I was stoked to find the
surf really fun. The crowd was pretty thick, but the crew was more
locals and quite respectful. If you took off deep, the wave was yours.

Had fun taking pictures in the water. Latronic was out shooting too,
so we talked story a bit and shot each other.

Well, I started off with a bang, shoulder-hopping a few really good
tubes. At this size, this wave is just so fun. Backdoor was cracking
too, and I forced myself into a couple of deep ones and one bigger
closeout.

Saw some of the new Pipe crew just dominating out there. I remember
being on the shoulder at Backdoor, super tentative while considering
the takeoff. Then I look 20 yards to my inside and see like Jaime
O'Brien taking off in the pit.

Most of the bodyboarders were hanging at OTW, so I paddled over to say
hi. I couldn't catch anything there, so I took off on one closeout and
tried to stand on my board, getting bowled over big time. Oh well.

Went back to Pipe, but the swell had already tapered significantly.
Kinda putzed around for the rest of the session until it was time to
leave. Reconnecting with bodyboarding was really nice.

Aloha from Paradise,
sponge
www.hisurfadvisory.com

Photos at: http://www.hisurfadvisory.com/sesh/new5/sesh564.htm


28 Oct 2004 08:25:26
Re: Back to Bodyboarding -- 10/15/04

Roots movement, yeah!

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Neal Miyake wrote:

> Date: October 15, 2004
> Time: 0800--1100
> Spot(s): Pipe/BD/OTW
> Conditions: Mostly light trades, typical (but local) Ehukai crowds
> Swell: Significantly declined from the previous days, but still fun
> Surf: 2-4'+ Haw'n
>
> Words: With the Brewer getting first aid, I decided to go back to my
> roots and bodyboard Pipe. When I got there, I was stoked to find the
> surf really fun. The crowd was pretty thick, but the crew was more
> locals and quite respectful. If you took off deep, the wave was yours.
>
> Had fun taking pictures in the water. Latronic was out shooting too,
> so we talked story a bit and shot each other.
>
> Well, I started off with a bang, shoulder-hopping a few really good
> tubes. At this size, this wave is just so fun. Backdoor was cracking
> too, and I forced myself into a couple of deep ones and one bigger
> closeout.
>
> Saw some of the new Pipe crew just dominating out there. I remember
> being on the shoulder at Backdoor, super tentative while considering
> the takeoff. Then I look 20 yards to my inside and see like Jaime
> O'Brien taking off in the pit.
>
> Most of the bodyboarders were hanging at OTW, so I paddled over to say
> hi. I couldn't catch anything there, so I took off on one closeout and
> tried to stand on my board, getting bowled over big time. Oh well.
>
> Went back to Pipe, but the swell had already tapered significantly.
> Kinda putzed around for the rest of the session until it was time to
> leave. Reconnecting with bodyboarding was really nice.
>
> Aloha from Paradise,
> sponge
> www.hisurfadvisory.com
>
> Photos at: http://www.hisurfadvisory.com/sesh/new5/sesh564.htm
>

--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/


28 Oct 2004 12:07:14
Neal Miyake
Re: Back to Bodyboarding -- 10/15/04

[email protected] wrote:
> Roots movement, yeah!

Actually went so far as to order a new bodyboard. Should be arriving
real soon. Stoked!

sponge


28 Oct 2004 12:40:49
Foon
Re: Back to Bodyboarding -- 10/15/04

Neal Miyake says...
>
>[email protected] wrote:
>> Roots movement, yeah!
>
>Actually went so far as to order a new bodyboard. Should be arriving
>real soon. Stoked!

You sponsored brah? Don't like the idea of you paying for sponges :)

-Foon



28 Oct 2004 20:44:10
Neal Miyake
Re: Back to Bodyboarding -- 10/15/04

Foon <[email protected] > wrote:
> Neal Miyake says...
> >[email protected] wrote:
> >> Roots movement, yeah!
> >
> >Actually went so far as to order a new bodyboard. Should be arriving
> >real soon. Stoked!
>
> You sponsored brah? Don't like the idea of you paying for sponges :)

A few years ago, I actually told my sponsor that she didn't need to
sponsor me anymore, and that she should take care of the kids.
However, on this board, she is giving it to me for free for "old times
sake." Might arrive today.

sponge


29 Oct 2004 05:39:09
Foon
Re: Back to Bodyboarding -- 10/15/04

Neal Miyake says...

>A few years ago, I actually told my sponsor that she didn't need to
>sponsor me anymore, and that she should take care of the kids.

A noble and worthy sentiment. Followed by this interesting statement.

>However, she is giving it to me for free for "old times
>sake."

I had a college girlfriend like that. Don'tcha just love when that happens. ;)

-Foon



29 Oct 2004 15:29:21
Larry Coronary
Re: Back to Bodyboarding -- 10/15/04

Foon <[email protected] > wrote in message

> Neal Miyake says...
> >A few years ago, I actually told my sponsor that she didn't need to
> >sponsor me anymore, and that she should take care of the kids.
> A noble and worthy sentiment. Followed by this interesting statement.

> >However, she is giving it to me for free for "old times
> >sake."
> I had a college girlfriend like that. Don'tcha just love when that > happens. ;)


Hey you two, what did you think of the World Swries? Was it awsome or what?

larry c



















>
> -Foon


29 Oct 2004 21:01:30
Foon
Re: Back to Baseballing

Larry Coronary says...

>Hey you two, what did you think of the World Series? Was it awsome or what?

Larry, bubbi.
I am a lifelong Yankees fan. I was born in NYC and took in several significant
games during my childhood at the stadium. I moved from NY in 1971 and would
never live there again. But I have followed the Yanks since I was old enough to
tune in a radio station. My first trip to the principals office when I was in
elementary school at P.S.5, was for listening to Mantle and Maris trading homers
during a Yankees game on my little GE transistor radio during math (I suck at
math) Like every true Nu Yawker, I love the team but hate the owner. It would be
hard for me to admit the Yankees are not the most important team in baseball
history.

But let me tell you Larry, the last two weeks of BoSox baseball was one of the
most remarkable stories in the history of the sport. I don't think I have ever
seen a team get so thoroughly beaten down, pick itself up and rise to the
pinnacle of victory as the Sox did this year. If the Yankees had to be spanked
I'm glad it was by a pack of craven ball dogs like those "idiot" Sox. Lost
money----Don't CARE!!

-Foulball Foonie



30 Oct 2004 23:43:36
fannie fhantom
Re: Back to Baseballing

Foon <[email protected] > wrote in message

Foondog, documented as only a documentarian could. I was raised
way out West here in the Oklahoma Panhandle (Odessa), and would have to
say the Bosox were on a mission. I love NY,NY, and have a quetion
for you. Arnold Tucker, Felix Blanchard, Glen Davis, can you fill
in the right half back of "The Cadets" during the "glory years"
Here's a hint, Rip Rowan. Good luck!

Mr.Answerman

p.s. Piss on surfing, let's get real.






> >Hey you two, what did you think of the World Series? Was it awsome or what?
> Larry, bubbi.
> I am a lifelong Yankees fan. I was born in NYC and took in several
> games during my childhood at the stadium. I moved from NY in 1971 and would
> never live there again. But I have followed the Yanks since I was old enough
> tune in a radio station. My first trip to the principals office when I was in
> elementary school at P.S.5, was for listening to Mantle and Maris trading
> during a Yankees game on my little GE transistor radio during math (I suck at
> math) Like every true Nu Yawker, I love the team but hate the owner. It ld be
> hard for me to admit the Yankees are not the most important team in baseball
> history.
> But let me tell you Larry, the last two weeks of BoSox baseball was one of
> most remarkable stories in the history of the sport. I don't think I have
> seen a team get so thoroughly beaten down, pick itself up and rise to the
> pinnacle of victory as the Sox did this year. If the Yankees had to be
> I'm glad it was by a pack of craven ball dogs like those "idiot" Sox. Lost
> money----Don't CARE!!
> -Football Foonie


31 Oct 2004 09:19:19
Turby
Re: Back to Baseballing

On 30 Oct 2004 23:43:36 -0700, [email protected] (fannie
fhantom) wrote:

>Foon <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>Foondog, documented as only a documentarian could. I was raised
>way out West here in the Oklahoma Panhandle (Odessa), and would have to
>say the Bosox were on a mission. I love NY,NY, and have a quetion
>for you. Arnold Tucker, Felix Blanchard, Glen Davis, can you fill
>in the right half back of "The Cadets" during the "glory years"
>Here's a hint, Rip Rowan. Good luck!

Another clue: IINM, he went to San Diego High.

Turby the Turbosurfer


31 Oct 2004 10:50:54
khalid_abdul_salin
Re: Back to Baseballing

Turby <[email protected] > wrote in message


> >Foon <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >Foondog, documented as only a documentarian could. I was raised
> >way out West here in the Oklahoma Panhandle (Odessa), and would have to
> >say the Bosox were on a mission. I love NY,NY, and have a quetion
> >for you. Arnold Tucker, Felix Blanchard, Glen Davis, can you fill
> >in the right half back of "The Cadets" during the "glory years"
> >Here's a hint, Rip Rowan. Good luck!
> Another clue: IINM, he went to San Diego High.
> Turby the Turbosurfer

Tubulator, did Glen Davis attend Bonita High near San Diego High?

coach khalid


31 Oct 2004 19:06:51
The Checkered Demon
Re: Back to Baseballing

"Foon" wrote:
> But let me tell you Larry, the last two weeks of BoSox baseball was
> one of the
> most remarkable stories in the history of the sport. I don't think I
> have ever
> seen a team get so thoroughly beaten down, pick itself up and rise
> to the
> pinnacle of victory as the Sox did this year. If the Yankees had to
> be spanked
> I'm glad it was by a pack of craven ball dogs like those "idiot"
> Sox. Lost
> money----Don't CARE!!
>


I'll admit to being a fairweather fan. I was raised by a family
of rabid Sox fans. My uncle has had a box at Fenway since
the 50s. He has 8mm home movies of games we went to,
when I was just a little demon. Footage of Ted Williams,
among others.

The best thing is that they are self-effacing, and have a sense
of humor about it all. Compared to the cookie-cutter Yanks,
they come across as individuals, and human. Except for
Schilling. Fuck him. He used his media coverage, post-series,
to pimp for Bush. Combined with his attribution of his pitching
performance as a divine intervention, he's an asshole, IMO.

----------------------------------
Chexter Johnny "Idiot" Demon




01 Nov 2004 09:23:27
Turby
Re: Back to Baseballing

On 31 Oct 2004 10:50:54 -0800, [email protected]
(khalid_abdul_salin) wrote:

>Turby <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>
>> >Foon <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >Foondog, documented as only a documentarian could. I was raised
>> >way out West here in the Oklahoma Panhandle (Odessa), and would have to
>> >say the Bosox were on a mission. I love NY,NY, and have a quetion
>> >for you. Arnold Tucker, Felix Blanchard, Glen Davis, can you fill
>> >in the right half back of "The Cadets" during the "glory years"
>> >Here's a hint, Rip Rowan. Good luck!
>> Another clue: IINM, he went to San Diego High.
>> Turby the Turbosurfer
>
>Tubulator, did Glen Davis attend Bonita High near San Diego High?

I'm pretty sure he went to SDHS. I worked for the city schools at
SDHS right out of high school and I remember his trophys in a display
case there. It's possible Glenn may have spent a year at Bonita, but
it's about 10 miles away and would have been the hicks back then.

Turby the Turbosurfer


01 Nov 2004 10:03:18
Re: Back to Baseballing

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Turby wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2004 10:50:54 -0800, [email protected]
> (khalid_abdul_salin) wrote:
>
>> Turby <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>
>>>> Foon <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>> Foondog, documented as only a documentarian could. I was raised
>>>> way out West here in the Oklahoma Panhandle (Odessa), and would have to
>>>> say the Bosox were on a mission. I love NY,NY, and have a quetion
>>>> for you. Arnold Tucker, Felix Blanchard, Glen Davis, can you fill
>>>> in the right half back of "The Cadets" during the "glory years"
>>>> Here's a hint, Rip Rowan. Good luck!
>>> Another clue: IINM, he went to San Diego High.
>>> Turby the Turbosurfer
>>
>> Tubulator, did Glen Davis attend Bonita High near San Diego High?
>
> I'm pretty sure he went to SDHS. I worked for the city schools at
> SDHS right out of high school and I remember his trophys in a display
> case there. It's possible Glenn may have spent a year at Bonita, but
> it's about 10 miles away and would have been the hicks back then.
>
> Turby the Turbosurfer

Glenn Davis.... worst Orioles trade ever :( Symbolic of the beginning of
the decline.

Davis for pitchers Pete Harnish and Schilling and center fielder Steve
Finley (all time triples leader), Astros-Orioles trade. Davis was a total
bust while the other 3 went on to have very productive major league
careers.

--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/


01 Nov 2004 10:48:38
KAHUNITA
Re: Back to Baseballing

Turby <[email protected] > wrote in message >

>Turby <[email protected]> wrote in message


> > I love NY,NY, and have a quetion
> >> >for you. Arnold Tucker, Felix Blanchard, Glen Davis, can you fill
> >> >in the right half back of "The Cadets" during the "glory years"
> >> >Here's a hint, Rip Rowan. Good luck!
> >> Another clue: IINM, he went to San Diego High.
> >> Turby the Turbosurfer
> >Tubulator, did Glen Davis attend Bonita High near San Diego High?

> I'm pretty sure he went to SDHS. I worked for the city schools at
> SDHS right out of high school and I remember his trophys in a display
> case there. It's possible Glenn may have spent a year at Bonita, but
> it's about 10 miles away and would have been the hicks back then.
> Turby the Turbosurfer

Now yous'e guys really gots me confused. The question was: who played
right half the same years as Doc, Glen, and Arnold Tucker, a hint
was given as one player, Rip Rowan, another one was Shorty McWilliams,
who wasthe other RHB. Foondgoggle hasn't a clue? Thanks.

Earl Blaik


01 Nov 2004 11:25:46
Surfer Bob
Re: Back to Baseballing

How about those Boston cops though?

I saw a picture in the paper of a cop in full-on Robocop riot gear and
gasmask spraying what appeared to be a firehose. Caption said it was
pepper spray. Shooting exuberant celebrating sports fans dead to "keep
the peace"? Jeez!

I have heard no tales of any serious sports hooliganism in Boston.
Nothing like soccer hooliganism in Britain or life-and-death Brazilian
soccer fan struggles occurred. But many now notorious stories of bad
police over-reaction.

Are any heads going to roll at the Boston police department over their
poor performance last week?

Surfer Bob


01 Nov 2004 12:24:51
Foon
Re: Back to Baseballing

KAHUNITA says...

>Now yous'e guys really gots me confused. The question was: who played
>right half the same years as Doc, Glen, and Arnold Tucker, a hint
>was given as one player, Rip Rowan, another one was Shorty McWilliams,
>who wasthe other RHB. Foondgoggle hasn't a clue?

True, my fandom does not include the ability to parse esoteria about the Yanks.
If you'd please enlighten us I will tell you about an encounter I had with Graig
Nettles.

-Foonfungo



01 Nov 2004 23:22:57
td
Re: BUSH IS MESSIAH

On 1 Nov 2004 14:12:01 -0800, [email protected] (KAHUNITA) wrote:

>Dear IMO, Schiller's plugs will cause the encunbant Mr. George
>to win in a gravitasse landslide. Up here in PNWbwe love Mr Bush,
>we love Mr. Chaney, we love George Sr., we hate O.B.Ladin, we love Gov.
>Arny, President Bush will neither behead nor decapitate anybody.

> li'l kahuna



http://www.wavecam.com/images/bushkerrysurfing.jpg


td


02 Nov 2004 08:21:01
SLAPPY THE CLOWN
Re: Back to Baseballing

Foon <[email protected] > wrote in message


> >Now yous'e guys really gots me confused. The question was: who played
> >right half the same years as Doc, Glen, and Arnold Tucker, a hint
> >was given as one player, Rip Rowan, another one was Shorty McWilliams,
> >who wasthe other RHB. Foondgoggle hasn't a clue?

> True, my fandom does not include the ability to parse esoteria about the > Yanks. If you'd enlighten, I will tell you about an encounter I had with > Graig Nettles.
> -Foonfungo

foonboggled: The query was, everyone your age should recall the
powerhouse teams during the mid-forties under coach Blaik
consistig of QB Tucker, LHB Davis, and FB Blanchard. Unfortunatly,
nobody knows. So, therefore, nobody wins first prize.
Three unsung heroes were Rip Rowan, Shorty McWilliams, and Yo Yo
Yeager. Here's an easy one: Who won the first Surfer Magazine
Man of the Year Award? Hmmm, maybe it won't be so easy.

slapster the pollster


02 Nov 2004 12:51:16
Foon
Re: Back to Baseballing

SLAPPY says...

>
>foonboggled: The query was, everyone your age should recall the
>powerhouse teams during the mid-forties under coach Blaik
>consistig of QB Tucker, LHB Davis, and FB Blanchard.

I was born in '49 Slapmeister and had no baseball consciousness until '57, when
the MM boys were beginning to associate the word "Dynasty" to the Yankee team.

> Unfortunatly,
>nobody knows. So, therefore, nobody wins first prize.

Well sue me then. ;)

>Three unsung heroes were Rip Rowan, Shorty McWilliams, and Yo Yo
>Yeager. Here's an easy one: Who won the first Surfer Magazine
>Man of the Year Award? Hmmm, maybe it won't be so easy.

I started surfing in '63 an I'm guessing it was Phil Edwards
or Bill Andrews?

-foopdeedoop



02 Nov 2004 21:53:37
SKIPPER
Re: Back to Baseballing

SLAPPY THE CLOWN <[email protected] > wrote:
> foonboggled: The query was, everyone your age should recall the
> powerhouse teams during the mid-forties under coach Blaik
> consistig of QB Tucker, LHB Davis, and FB Blanchard. Unfortunatly,
> nobody knows. So, therefore, nobody wins first prize.
> Three unsung heroes were Rip Rowan, Shorty McWilliams, and Yo Yo
> Yeager. Here's an easy one: Who won the first Surfer Magazine
> Man of the Year Award? Hmmm, maybe it won't be so easy.

Clark introduced foam in 58.

Greenough had already introduced his fins, which became the modern
standard for fins.

Velzy and G&S were cranking boards out.

But since you posted it, it was prolly your buddy Dora. Only Chexter
knows for sure.

-PA



02 Nov 2004 17:48:47
The Checkered Demon
Re: Back to Baseballing

"Foon" wrote:
> SLAPPY says...
>
>>foonboggled: The query was, everyone your age should recall the
>>powerhouse teams during the mid-forties under coach Blaik
>>consistig of QB Tucker, LHB Davis, and FB Blanchard.
>>

>
> I was born in '49 Slapmeister and had no baseball consciousness
> until '57,
>

Um, Foon...
I think he's talking about a *football* team, from San Diego High.
I know less about sports, than I do about hand-split shingles,
but I think "QB" = quarterback, "HB" = halfback, etc...

----------------------------
Chexter




03 Nov 2004 05:59:16
Foon
Re: Back to Baseballing

at says...

>> I was born in '49 Slapmeister and had no baseball consciousness
>> until '57,

>Um, Foon...
>I think he's talking about a *football* team, from San Diego High.
>I know less about sports, than I do about hand-split shingles,
>but I think "QB" = quarterback, "HB" = halfback, etc...

pssst, checky,
Precisely. I'm throwing Slappy and down and out curveball to test his cognitive
processing. I knew nothing of football until the Jets won the Superbowl in the
60s.

-Foon



03 Nov 2004 16:56:58
Re: Back to Baseballing

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Foon wrote:

> at says...
>
>>> I was born in '49 Slapmeister and had no baseball consciousness
>>> until '57,
>
>> Um, Foon...
>> I think he's talking about a *football* team, from San Diego High.
>> I know less about sports, than I do about hand-split shingles,
>> but I think "QB" = quarterback, "HB" = halfback, etc...
>
> pssst, checky,
> Precisely. I'm throwing Slappy and down and out curveball to test his cognitive
> processing. I knew nothing of football until the Jets won the Superbowl in the
> 60s.
>
> -Foon

...and you knew nothing afterwards. That Jets victory was a FLUKE!

Long live the great team of Johnny U!!!

--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/


03 Nov 2004 13:59:44
Surfer Bob
Re: BUSH IS MESSIAH

[email protected] (KAHUNITA) wrote:
> ...President Bush will neither behead nor decapitate anybody.

Not with a sword anyway.

"It's a way we had over here with living with ourselves. We cut 'em in
half with a machine gun and give'em a Band-Aid. It was a lie. And the
more I saw them, the more I hated lies."


03 Nov 2004 22:44:11
Rico
Re: BUSH IS MESSIAH


"Surfer Bob" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [email protected] (KAHUNITA) wrote:
>> ...President Bush will neither behead nor decapitate anybody.
>
> Not with a sword anyway.
>
> "It's a way we had over here with living with ourselves. We cut 'em in
> half with a machine gun and give'em a Band-Aid. It was a lie. And the
> more I saw them, the more I hated lies."

"Charlie don't surf "

Rico




03 Nov 2004 16:58:35
msdII
Re: Back to Baseballing

Foon <[email protected] > wrote in message


> SLAPPY says...
>
> >
> >foonboggled: The query was, everyone your age should recall the
>nobody knows. So, therefore, nobody wins first prize.
> Well sue me then. ;)
> >Three unsung heroes were Rip Rowan, Shorty McWilliams, and Yo Yo
> >Yeager. Here's an easy one: Who won the first Surfer Magazine
> >Man of the Year Award? Hmmm, maybe it won't be so easy.

> I started surfing in '63 an I'm guessing it was Phil Edwards
> or Bill Andrews?
foonkneedrop

We know it definatly wasn't Bill Andrews. Phil Edwards is above
surfing, so you might say MR. Hint the Wounded Seagull.


04 Nov 2004 08:12:38
The Checkered Demon
Re: BUSH IS MESSIAH

"Rico" wrote:
> "Surfer Bob" wrote:
>> (KAHUNITA) wrote:
>>> ...President Bush will neither behead nor decapitate anybody.
>>
>> Not with a sword anyway.
>>
>> "It's a way we had over here with living with ourselves. We cut 'em
>> in
>> half with a machine gun and give'em a Band-Aid. It was a lie. And
>> the
>> more I saw them, the more I hated lies."
>
> "Charlie don't surf "
>

"Never get out of the boat!
Bye, tiger!!!"

------------------------------------
Chexter