23 Jan 2004 22:22:12
Schwanny
elbow pain anyone?

after playing in several intense, consecutive weekend tourneys, my elbow is
hurting. i think it is a case of 'tennis elbow', it hurts when i hit
forehands, especially when i'm 'open' at impact instead of the more-desired
setup and follow through forehand. i don't believe it's technique, as this
is the first time i come up lame and i play with/use a certified coach for
help. it's not likely that i'll "lay off" until healed, it's the middle of
the season! i try to ice it after playing or in evening, i bought a 'wrap'
but haven't tried it around my arm yet...oh, and i take ibuprofen like it's
candy before my opening matches. anybody have other suggestions? do 'wraps'
help others?

24 Jan 2004 18:50:31
DeronD
Re: elbow pain anyone?

"Schwanny" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> after playing in several intense, consecutive weekend tourneys, my elbow is
> hurting. i think it is a case of 'tennis elbow', it hurts when i hit
> forehands, especially when i'm 'open' at impact instead of the more-desired
> setup and follow through forehand. i don't believe it's technique, as this
> is the first time i come up lame and i play with/use a certified coach for
> help. it's not likely that i'll "lay off" until healed, it's the middle of
> the season! i try to ice it after playing or in evening, i bought a 'wrap'
> but haven't tried it around my arm yet...oh, and i take ibuprofen like it's
> candy before my opening matches. anybody have other suggestions? do 'wraps'
> help others?

Does is hurt on the inside or outside of the elbow? Outside it is
problbly tennis elbow. Inside elbow can be what they call little
league elbow. That is what I have. Got if from throwing too many
curve balls! The only remedy that I found for either one is REST.
After that lengthen and strengthen by streching and doing exercises.
In between that, ICE ICE and more ICE. Also, after your big games are
over stop serving hard with your forehand. You will only inflame the
injury more and will bother you like an ingrown toenail when you play.
I have learned to serve hard backhanded and only lob forehand. There
is plenty of info on the web on both injuries or you can see a sports
medicine doctor for an exam and therapy. Just remember if you have
not done bad damage it is probably just inflamed and killing the ball
will only make it worse. Use your backhand for the power shots and
forehand for touch shots........Good luck

26 Jan 2004 10:01:24
Dave
Re: elbow pain anyone?

"Schwanny" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> after playing in several intense, consecutive weekend tourneys, my elbow is
> hurting. i think it is a case of 'tennis elbow', it hurts when i hit
> forehands, especially when i'm 'open' at impact instead of the more-desired
> setup and follow through forehand. i don't believe it's technique, as this
> is the first time i come up lame and i play with/use a certified coach for
> help. it's not likely that i'll "lay off" until healed, it's the middle of
> the season! i try to ice it after playing or in evening, i bought a 'wrap'
> but haven't tried it around my arm yet...oh, and i take ibuprofen like it's
> candy before my opening matches. anybody have other suggestions? do 'wraps'
> help others?

I like DeronD's advice.

For reading up on it:

www.webmd.com

Type

tennis elbow

in the search, Tennis Elbow topic overview is a good place to start.

03 Feb 2004 23:24:18
Brian
Re: elbow pain anyone?

What racquet do you use? If you have a "big" swing, your racquet could be
too light..A lot of elbow pain is generated by "light" racquets..Generally a
compact swing can deal better with the very light racquets..In my
experience...

--
_________________________________
Brian Dixon

* AMPRO Advanced Racquetball Instructor
* Junior Racquetball Director - Petaluma Valley Athletic Club
* Member of Team Ektelon - www.ektelon.com

"Schwanny" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> after playing in several intense, consecutive weekend tourneys, my elbow
is
> hurting. i think it is a case of 'tennis elbow', it hurts when i hit
> forehands, especially when i'm 'open' at impact instead of the
more-desired
> setup and follow through forehand. i don't believe it's technique, as this
> is the first time i come up lame and i play with/use a certified coach for
> help. it's not likely that i'll "lay off" until healed, it's the middle
of
> the season! i try to ice it after playing or in evening, i bought a 'wrap'
> but haven't tried it around my arm yet...oh, and i take ibuprofen like
it's
> candy before my opening matches. anybody have other suggestions? do
'wraps'
> help others?

04 Feb 2004 21:24:18
Whitestar 16
Re: elbow pain anyone?

"Schwanny" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> after playing in several intense, consecutive weekend tourneys, my elbow is
> hurting. i think it is a case of 'tennis elbow', it hurts when i hit
> forehands, especially when i'm 'open' at impact instead of the more-desired
> setup and follow through forehand. i don't believe it's technique, as this
> is the first time i come up lame and i play with/use a certified coach for
> help. it's not likely that i'll "lay off" until healed, it's the middle of
> the season! i try to ice it after playing or in evening, i bought a 'wrap'
> but haven't tried it around my arm yet...oh, and i take ibuprofen like it's
> candy before my opening matches. anybody have other suggestions? do 'wraps'
> help others?

Interstingly, your description sounds more like golfers or little
leagers elbow more than tennis elbow, but its hard to know with that
info. A guess based on your comment about worse when open towards the
front instead of facing the side comment, as well as lack of complaint
regairding problems on the backhand side.

I got BAD tennis elbow in late August after 2 years of tourneys with
no problems like this ever. I could not shake hands with anyone and
really couldnt pick up much of anything hardly. I asked around and two
people who had this basically said it took 6 months to a year for
complete resolution. They both continued playing "with props" so to
speak. I laid off for a very long 3 months and then started playing
again with the problem present but lessened. I wore an aircast (
Walmart 12 dollars), and used an elbow wrap that holds an icepack/cold
pack when worn afterwards for 20 minutes and hour over two hours.
Things are better, not worse. IN addition, I totally reexamined by
backhand and forehand mechanics and got enough one on one advice from
Derek Robinson on swing mechanics at one of his road show outings.
VERY HELPFUL. A little good information can go a long way. I wear the
aircast when I play BTW.

This stuff does get better. I dont use anti-inflammatories in general
and certainly not a bunch just to play. Kidneys tend not to appreciate
it so much after awhile.

lastly, might want to visit with a sports doc in case you tore
something or injured the joint. I like to know what any injury I have
really is instead of not being sure.

13 Feb 2004 19:53:18
Kenneth Mattson
Re: elbow pain anyone?

Brian wrote:

>What racquet do you use? If you have a "big" swing, your racquet could be
>too light..A lot of elbow pain is generated by "light" racquets..Generally a
>compact swing can deal better with the very light racquets..In my
>experience...

Going to a lighter racquet has helped me avoid getting the elbow and
shoulder pain I used to have with heavier racquets. I now use the Bedlam
Stun 150 gram racquet. With the lighter racquets you have to have good
technique and wrist action to generate the racquet head speed needed to
generate power. I also like the zero richter tubes on E-Force racquets.

Ken