24 Jul 2004 00:12:38
Tim Jr.
Technical at 11-10

Here's a question for anyone who knows the answer (Jordan or Otto
prolly).

Player "A" is about to serve at 11-10, and Player "B" gets a technical
which (by rule) drops the score to 11-9. Is the game over? Does the
score in fact drop to 11-9? Can player "A" actually win without even
hitting a serve in this case?

Any variations or interpretations of this rule would be appreciated.
Or maybe it's just straight forward.

Thanks in advance.
Tim Jr.


24 Jul 2004 08:33:29
Otto Dietrich
Re: Technical at 11-10

Hello Tim

USA Racquetball rules, which are followed by most of the people who play
this sport, preclude a "win" by a technical foul. Technical fouls always
result in the deduction of a point rather than the addition of a point. In
your example, the player who reached the requisite score (say 15 or 11)
would have won the game outright--technical foul or not.

However, as far as the IRT/LPRA are concerned, the plot thickens because
under their rules, a score of 11-10 would not be a victory as a two-point
margin in the score is required after the requisite score is reach. But,
that is exactly what the assessment of a technical foul to the player having
the score of 10 would produce in this case! So, it is conceivable that the
game might be over by a score of 11-9! I have to defer to the commissioners
of those organizations for a ruling on this issue since I am unaware of any
specific rule they have that covers this specific situation.

At your service,

Otto

OTTO E. DIETRICH
National Rules Commissioner
USA Racquetball
"Play by the Rules" http://www.usra.org/usra/pub&ref/Rulebook.htm




"Tim Jr." <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:7e5146b1[email protected]
> Here's a question for anyone who knows the answer (Jordan or Otto
> prolly).
>
> Player "A" is about to serve at 11-10, and Player "B" gets a technical
> which (by rule) drops the score to 11-9. Is the game over? Does the
> score in fact drop to 11-9? Can player "A" actually win without even
> hitting a serve in this case?
>
> Any variations or interpretations of this rule would be appreciated.
> Or maybe it's just straight forward.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Tim Jr.




24 Jul 2004 22:22:21
JoeRacquetball
Re: Technical at 11-10

Wow, great answer. It looks like the player who was assessed the technical
lost the match. The issue you suggest sounds like whether it is legal to
lose a match because of a tachnical foul assessment. What if the foul had
been assessed when the score was at a previous state then it was at 11-10,
say, 7-7, and then the person assessed the foul lost? Also, what if the
situation occurred in a tournament, would the final score and
completion/continuation of the game be held until an 'official ruling' were
had? Instead of deferring to 'organizations', would the tournament director
not make the final call?

Thanks for always being there Otto.


"Otto Dietrich" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hello Tim
>
> USA Racquetball rules, which are followed by most of the people who play
> this sport, preclude a "win" by a technical foul. Technical fouls always
> result in the deduction of a point rather than the addition of a point.
In
> your example, the player who reached the requisite score (say 15 or 11)
> would have won the game outright--technical foul or not.
>
> However, as far as the IRT/LPRA are concerned, the plot thickens because
> under their rules, a score of 11-10 would not be a victory as a two-point
> margin in the score is required after the requisite score is reach. But,
> that is exactly what the assessment of a technical foul to the player
having
> the score of 10 would produce in this case! So, it is conceivable that
the
> game might be over by a score of 11-9! I have to defer to the
commissioners
> of those organizations for a ruling on this issue since I am unaware of
any
> specific rule they have that covers this specific situation.
>
> At your service,
>
> Otto
>
> OTTO E. DIETRICH
> National Rules Commissioner
> USA Racquetball
> "Play by the Rules" http://www.usra.org/usra/pub&ref/Rulebook.htm
>
>
>
>
> "Tim Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Here's a question for anyone who knows the answer (Jordan or Otto
> > prolly).
> >
> > Player "A" is about to serve at 11-10, and Player "B" gets a technical
> > which (by rule) drops the score to 11-9. Is the game over? Does the
> > score in fact drop to 11-9? Can player "A" actually win without even
> > hitting a serve in this case?
> >
> > Any variations or interpretations of this rule would be appreciated.
> > Or maybe it's just straight forward.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Tim Jr.
>
>




25 Jul 2004 03:57:11
Leo
Re: Technical at 11-10

Uh well,
At 11-10 the game is already over. Especially based on your description of
the scenario.

Leo

"Tim Jr." <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Here's a question for anyone who knows the answer (Jordan or Otto
> prolly).
>
> Player "A" is about to serve at 11-10, and Player "B" gets a technical
> which (by rule) drops the score to 11-9. Is the game over? Does the
> score in fact drop to 11-9? Can player "A" actually win without even
> hitting a serve in this case?
>
> Any variations or interpretations of this rule would be appreciated.
> Or maybe it's just straight forward.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Tim Jr.




25 Jul 2004 07:11:18
Kathy Geels
Re: Technical at 11-10

Hi Leo -

That's what I thought too, except for the part about pros needing to win by 2.
At 11-10, the game is still going on. In a pro game, 11 - 9 is a win under
normal circumstances. So if the guy gets a technical at 11 -10, making it 11- 9,
sounds like Tim's question is: does the pro win on a technical?

Now don't call me neurotic, I'm only here to help! ;-).

Kathy


In article <[email protected] >, Leo says...
>
>Uh well,
>At 11-10 the game is already over. Especially based on your description of
>the scenario.
>
>Leo
>
>"Tim Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Here's a question for anyone who knows the answer (Jordan or Otto
>> prolly).
>>
>> Player "A" is about to serve at 11-10, and Player "B" gets a technical
>> which (by rule) drops the score to 11-9. Is the game over? Does the
>> score in fact drop to 11-9? Can player "A" actually win without even
>> hitting a serve in this case?
>>
>> Any variations or interpretations of this rule would be appreciated.
>> Or maybe it's just straight forward.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Tim Jr.
>
>

Kathy Geels
Miami, FL



25 Jul 2004 13:14:07
Otto Dietrich
Re: Technical at 11-10

Thanks Joe

I'm not really sure I fully understand your questions correctly, so if you
would email me a different question/explanation, I will be glad to respond.

At your service

Otto

OTTO E. DIETRICH
National Rules Commissioner
USA Racquetball
"Play by the Rules" http://www.usra.org/usra/pub&ref/Rulebook.htm



"JoeRacquetball" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Wow, great answer. It looks like the player who was assessed the technical
> lost the match. The issue you suggest sounds like whether it is legal to
> lose a match because of a tachnical foul assessment. What if the foul had
> been assessed when the score was at a previous state then it was at 11-10,
> say, 7-7, and then the person assessed the foul lost? Also, what if the
> situation occurred in a tournament, would the final score and
> completion/continuation of the game be held until an 'official ruling'
were
> had? Instead of deferring to 'organizations', would the tournament
director
> not make the final call?
>
> Thanks for always being there Otto.
>
>
> "Otto Dietrich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Hello Tim
> >
> > USA Racquetball rules, which are followed by most of the people who play
> > this sport, preclude a "win" by a technical foul. Technical fouls
always
> > result in the deduction of a point rather than the addition of a point.
> In
> > your example, the player who reached the requisite score (say 15 or 11)
> > would have won the game outright--technical foul or not.
> >
> > However, as far as the IRT/LPRA are concerned, the plot thickens because
> > under their rules, a score of 11-10 would not be a victory as a
two-point
> > margin in the score is required after the requisite score is reach.
But,
> > that is exactly what the assessment of a technical foul to the player
> having
> > the score of 10 would produce in this case! So, it is conceivable that
> the
> > game might be over by a score of 11-9! I have to defer to the
> commissioners
> > of those organizations for a ruling on this issue since I am unaware of
> any
> > specific rule they have that covers this specific situation.
> >
> > At your service,
> >
> > Otto
> >
> > OTTO E. DIETRICH
> > National Rules Commissioner
> > USA Racquetball
> > "Play by the Rules" http://www.usra.org/usra/pub&ref/Rulebook.htm
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Tim Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Here's a question for anyone who knows the answer (Jordan or Otto
> > > prolly).
> > >
> > > Player "A" is about to serve at 11-10, and Player "B" gets a technical
> > > which (by rule) drops the score to 11-9. Is the game over? Does the
> > > score in fact drop to 11-9? Can player "A" actually win without even
> > > hitting a serve in this case?
> > >
> > > Any variations or interpretations of this rule would be appreciated.
> > > Or maybe it's just straight forward.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > Tim Jr.
> >
> >
>
>




28 Jul 2004 11:03:03
Tim Jr.
Re: Technical at 11-10

Thanks to all for the clarifications and opinions. Just thought it
was an interesting situation, for the player with 11 to win the game
without even having to serve. And yes, I'm speaking in terms of
having to win by 2.

TJR