14 Jul 2004 07:31:49
Josh
Rules question

I'm playing singles this morning, and my opponent is in front of me
off to the side waiting for my return. I hit the shot (that would have
made it to the front wall) but it hits my opponent's racket on the way
to the wall. Is this a dead-ball hinder, or do I win the point because
it hit his racquet?

I've had a blast reading all the other posts, and now I suppose it's
time to start posting myself... I'm a pretty bad player in southern
Minnesota, but I'm trying to play a lot and get better.

Thanks,
Josh

14 Jul 2004 18:21:50
Tomkat9111
Re: Rules question

Josh, Unless the opponent stuck his/her racquet out to touch the ball ,which
would have been a point for you, its just a deadball hinder, or replay hinder
as its called now.
Don't be discouraged by your level of play. Everyone started out with your same
level of skill. Practice and the desire to place the ball better and with more
power has changed many into a decent player.
Get someone you can approach to show you a few small details and build on those
before asking again. Show the person you are improving and they will be even
more likely to show you more advanced shots and training drills. The KEY is to
be a little bit better each time and soon you will have a teacher for life. Tom
Kat
TomKatRacquetball & Golf
Custom Caps n T's
[email protected]

14 Jul 2004 20:42:44
Jordan Kahn
Re: Rules question

Good question Josh.

Basically, if the opponent blocked your right-of-way for a return to the front
wall (or failed to get out of your -or the returned balsl- way), and assuming
you hit an offensive and not defensive shot (off balance or little control),
then it is a Penalty Hinder (Avoidable Hinder) on the opponent because their
racquet is "part" of their body. You win the rally!

If you did not have such a good return and they were getting out of your way or
yielded a right of way for the return shot, then just a Replay Hinder.

The racquet is part of the body for this example! Even if it was hit by
accident, because the hitter has the right of way- always!

Jordan
PS. If you would like a one page (two sided) rules example of Penalty Hinders
(with example pictures), email me and I will send you a MS Word version.

Subject: Re: Rules questionFrom: [email protected]  (Tomkat9111)Date:
7/14/2004 1:21 PM Central Standard TimeMessage-id:
<[email protected] >Josh, Unless the opponent stuck
his/her racquet out to touch the ball ,whichwould have been a point for you,
its just a deadball hinder, or replay hinderas its called now. Don't be
discouraged by your level of play. Everyone started out with your samelevel of
skill. Practice and the desire to place the ball better and with morepower has
changed many  into a decent player.Get someone you can approach to show you a
few small details and build on thosebefore asking again. Show the person you
are improving and they will be evenmore likely to show you more advanced shots
and training drills. The KEY is tobe a little bit better each time and soon you
will have a teacher for life. TomKatTomKatRacquetball & GolfCustom Caps n
T'[email protected]
----

Original Question

Subject: Rules questionFrom: [email protected]  (Josh)Date: 7/14/2004 9:31 AM
Central Standard TimeMessage-id:
<[email protected] >I'm playing singles this
morning, and my opponent is in front of meoff to the side waiting for my
return. I hit the shot (that would havemade it to the front wall) but it hits
my opponent's racket on the wayto the wall. Is this a dead-ball hinder, or do I
win the point becauseit hit his racquet?I've had a blast reading all the other
posts, and now I suppose it'stime to start posting myself... I'm a pretty bad
player in southernMinnesota, but I'm trying to play a lot and get
better.Thanks,Josh

14 Jul 2004 22:42:34
luverofpeanuts
Re: Rules question

Hi Josh,

The way you describe it sounds like just a dead-ball hinder to me, just
replay the point. Your opponent was not taking away your straight in
or cross court shot, and you were able to attempt a return.

I'm in southern Minnesota as well ;-) (Rochester) Keep playing...come
to one of Rochester's handful of tournaments. The non-sanctioned ones
are cheap, easy going, and fun to play in.

....gregl (aka luverofpeanuts)