19 Oct 2004 09:53:56
Solas
Broken racquet question

I have been playing racquetball off and on for almost 14 years. Have
always used Ektelon racquets.

Bought an Ektelon Attitude on Ebay (new in packaging)less than a year
ago. Love the racquet. Recently had it restrung with Ashaway
Killfire Pro Strings. Played with it once and the power and feel was
great. Second time I played the racquet cracked in one of the top
corners. No abuse beyond normal play.

Just wanted to see what other players thought about the cause:

- bad luck?
- poor stringing?
- string choice?
- defect?

Regardless of the answer I doubt I will be able to get any
reimbursement from anyone. Just curious what people thought and
whether or not I should use this guy to string my racquets in the
future.

Racquet is still playable but will definitely not survive another
stringing.

-woof-
Blue Dog

19 Oct 2004 13:01:31
Larry Yerton
Re: Broken racquet question

Bad Luck?........Probably.

Poor stringing?.......Maybe if the tension was too high.

String choice?........Very unlikely unless is was something like Kevlar and
you hit hard enough to buckle the frame.

Defect?......It's possible.

Most racquet warrantees are for one year from the time of purchase. Ektelon
is pretty good to work with, if you have a receipt and send a letter
explaining your situation some companies will replace the racquet or
exchange it for a newer model.

Good Luck!
LY

"Solas" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have been playing racquetball off and on for almost 14 years. Have
> always used Ektelon racquets.
>
> Bought an Ektelon Attitude on Ebay (new in packaging)less than a year
> ago. Love the racquet. Recently had it restrung with Ashaway
> Killfire Pro Strings. Played with it once and the power and feel was
> great. Second time I played the racquet cracked in one of the top
> corners. No abuse beyond normal play.
>
> Just wanted to see what other players thought about the cause:
>
> - bad luck?
> - poor stringing?
> - string choice?
> - defect?
>
> Regardless of the answer I doubt I will be able to get any
> reimbursement from anyone. Just curious what people thought and
> whether or not I should use this guy to string my racquets in the
> future.
>
> Racquet is still playable but will definitely not survive another
> stringing.
>
> -woof-
> Blue Dog

20 Oct 2004 06:21:58
Lin M.
Re: Broken racquet question

> > Just wanted to see what other players thought about the cause:

*** Might have already had a small unseen crack there. Cutting the
strings removes the tension holding cracks together sometimes, causing
them to open. Just an idea....

24 Oct 2004 01:36:13
Tomkat9111
Re: Broken racquet question

Blue Dog wrote and asked:

>I have been playing racquetball off and on for almost 14 years. Have
>always used Ektelon racquets.

What was your previous record of racquet use since you always used the same
brand of racquet? Did other models break during your playing with them as well?

>Bought an Ektelon Attitude on Ebay (new in packaging)less than a year
>ago
Ektelon has replaced every racquet I ever sent in for warrantee viewing of the
breakage. That has been over 20 years+ If you bought the racquet from a store
or proshop you should be able to get a copy of the reciept and have them get
you an RA number (Return Authorized). You will have to pay the postage and put
in a short message stating the current use and result of its breaking.

>Recently had it restrung with Ashaway
>Killfire Pro Strings.

String is string it doesn't matter what string you use in the racquet. Tension
would make a big difference but the stringer probably didn't string it up in
the 40's so it wouldn't be tension related.

>Second time I played the racquet cracked in one of the top
>corners. No abuse beyond normal play.

Stiff racquets like the Attitude and other recent models have a lot of breakage
due to the stiffness in the frame. If no abuse is showing like skuff marks from
hitting floors or walls it is probably a stress fracture and warranteable.

>Racquet is still playable but will definitely not survive another
>stringing.

If you don't send it in for warrantee before the break gets worse you will
surely NOT get any replacement. DO NOT play a cracked racquet. Get a retail
shop or proshop owner to get you an RA number and send it in NOW.
If you bought the racquet off of EBAY and did not get a reciept to use to send
it in for warrantee you might ask some retailer to intervene for you on your
behalf. Anyone doing at least casual business with a sports shop will help you
out. If they know you they will probably try to help you out.

TomKat

TomKatRacquetball & GOLF
[email protected]

24 Oct 2004 02:09:38
Matthew Hills
Re: Broken racquet question

Tomkat9111 <[email protected] > wrote:

> If no abuse is showing like skuff marks from
> hitting floors or walls it is probably a stress fracture and warranteable.

Hi Tom,
Out of curiosity, have you ever seen a broken frame with *no* scuff marks?
(or any frame, for that matter?)

BTW, ask your stringer if he inspected the frame prior to stringing?
(I usually do in the course of checking grommets; it is a bit easier to see
hairline cracks with the strings out)

Another long-shot: look to see if there are clamp marks on your frame
(in case the stringer clamped your frame too hard -- I've never seen this,
but it is possible)

Matt

25 Oct 2004 08:25:07
Solas
Re: Broken racquet question

[email protected] (Tomkat9111) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...
> Blue Dog wrote and asked:
>
> >I have been playing racquetball off and on for almost 14 years. Have
> >always used Ektelon racquets.
>
> What was your previous record of racquet use since you always used the same
> brand of racquet? Did other models break during your playing with them as well?

I have only had 3 racquets break in almost 14 years of playing. One
was a hard wall hit when I had first started to play. The second was
an Ektelon Mirada (cracked in the "V" of the racquet which was
reletively common). The third was the Attitude. So, on the whole, I
haven't had many problems.

> >Bought an Ektelon Attitude on Ebay (new in packaging)less than a year
> >ago
> Ektelon has replaced every racquet I ever sent in for warrantee viewing of the
> breakage. That has been over 20 years+ If you bought the racquet from a store
> or proshop you should be able to get a copy of the reciept and have them get
> you an RA number (Return Authorized). You will have to pay the postage and put
> in a short message stating the current use and result of its breaking.

I have contacted Ektelon and they are sending me an RA# for return.

> >Recently had it restrung with Ashaway
> >Killfire Pro Strings.
>
> String is string it doesn't matter what string you use in the racquet. Tension
> would make a big difference but the stringer probably didn't string it up in
> the 40's so it wouldn't be tension related.

The person who strung the racquet has been stringing for almost 20
years. So I doubt that he would have abused it during stringing.

> >Second time I played the racquet cracked in one of the top
> >corners. No abuse beyond normal play.
>
> Stiff racquets like the Attitude and other recent models have a lot of breakage
> due to the stiffness in the frame. If no abuse is showing like skuff marks from
> hitting floors or walls it is probably a stress fracture and warranteable.

It has the odd scuff mark. But nothing like a chip or even a hole in
the head tape. I don't play many tournaments and I am not about to
sacrifice my racquet for a "friendly".

> >Racquet is still playable but will definitely not survive another
> >stringing.
>
> If you don't send it in for warrantee before the break gets worse you will
> surely NOT get any replacement. DO NOT play a cracked racquet. Get a retail
> shop or proshop owner to get you an RA number and send it in NOW.
> If you bought the racquet off of EBAY and did not get a reciept to use to send
> it in for warrantee you might ask some retailer to intervene for you on your
> behalf. Anyone doing at least casual business with a sports shop will help you
> out. If they know you they will probably try to help you out.

I haven't been playing with the racquet. I have an older racquet that
I am using until this is resolved. I bought the it off Ebay but I do
have the Paypal receipt.

Thanks for the advice. I will post back letting people know what
happened when the matter is resolved.

-woof-

Blue Dog

26 Oct 2004 09:57:41
Bob B
Re: Broken racquet question

I've had 3 Ektelons break on me over the years. All 3 in the same
place - midway up the handle. The handle is a hollow piece of hard
plastic. The frame goes downinside the handle. I hold my racquet at
the very bottom & the handles have cracked just above where my grip.
I guess it's from the stress of hitting. Of course, racquetshops all
said it can't be fixed. Ha. I pulled off the grip. Pulled off the
broken handle. Mixed up a little 2 part epoxy & dabbed some inside
the handle and inserted onto the the frame. 24 hours later, I
regripped it and was back in business.

17 Nov 2004 14:24:59
Solas
Re: Broken racquet question

[email protected] (Solas) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...
> [email protected] (Tomkat9111) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

<snip >

> I have contacted Ektelon and they are sending me an RA# for return.

<snip >

> Thanks for the advice. I will post back letting people know what
> happened when the matter is resolved.
>
> -woof-
>
> Blue Dog

Received my replacement racquet yesterday. Ektelon replaced it with
no questions asked. Thanks for the advice on contacting Ektelon. I
was ready to write it off and just buy a new racquet. Good to
actually see a company standing behind their product.

-wag-

Blue Dog

18 Nov 2004 06:03:17
Bob B
Re: Broken racquet question

I'm curious... You bought an Attitude which Ektelon no longer makes.
I'm not familiar with where Attitude was in their lineup (upper end vs
lower end). ??

What did Ektelon replace it with?

It was worth it for Ektelon to replace it.
1) Now they've got a loyal customer
2) They got free advertising from you on the newsgroup about their
customer service.

> Received my replacement racquet yesterday. Ektelon replaced it with
> no questions asked. Thanks for the advice on contacting Ektelon. I
> was ready to write it off and just buy a new racquet. Good to
> actually see a company standing behind their product.
>
> -wag-
>
> Blue Dog

19 Nov 2004 06:40:22
Solas
Re: Broken racquet question

[email protected] (Bob B) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...
> I'm curious... You bought an Attitude which Ektelon no longer makes.
> I'm not familiar with where Attitude was in their lineup (upper end vs
> lower end). ??
>
> What did Ektelon replace it with?

They replaced it with another Attitude. The Attitude was at the top
end of their line up (Ektelon power level 2000) until they replaced it
with the Dominant and brought out the DPR 2500.

Looks like they released the Attack and the Dominant and got rid of
the Thunder and Attitude. It is a nice racquet with good balance and
feel. Can pick them up on Ebay pretty cheap now that the new ones are
out.

> It was worth it for Ektelon to replace it.
> 1) Now they've got a loyal customer
> 2) They got free advertising from you on the newsgroup about their
> customer service.

I would agree. However, recently it seems like many companies don't
feel that way. They could have very easily blamed it on something
else and not replaced it. I am so cynical regarding corporate
responsibility that I wasn't really expecting anything. Probably did
them a favor letting them unload their old Attitude stock ;-)

-wag-

Blue Dog