16 Oct 2005 21:56:50
caweber
Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

Seriously folks, what's the deal? I remember the good 'ol days
when qzar locations were pulling down like 500k in annual net profits.
Saturday mornings were crowded with birthday parties while the regulars
showed up in the evenings. I just don't understand how other laser
systems have been beating qzar. I'm still convinced that qzar allows
for a depth of game play that other systems just can't match
(especially with shoulder sensors), but this doesn't seem to be
enough to attract the crowds and pay the bills. What is the critical
error in qzar that is causing more and more qzar locations to close up
shop or defect to other systems? Does the equipment really break down
more than other systems? Is it a management problem? Is the learning
curve too steep? I'd love to see qzar come back, but I can't
figure out why it has diminished almost to the point of extinction.
Any ideas? --John



17 Oct 2005 15:59:09
Brian Katz
Re: Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

All of the above are great reasons. The equipment is horrible, it's
tough to learn, and most (the ones that are gone, in general) Q-zars
weren't managed worth a damn.

Brian Katz

>Seriously folks, what's the deal? I remember the good 'ol days
>when qzar locations were pulling down like 500k in annual net profits.
>Saturday mornings were crowded with birthday parties while the regulars
>showed up in the evenings. I just don't understand how other laser
>systems have been beating qzar. I'm still convinced that qzar allows
>for a depth of game play that other systems just can't match
>(especially with shoulder sensors), but this doesn't seem to be
>enough to attract the crowds and pay the bills. What is the critical
>error in qzar that is causing more and more qzar locations to close up
>shop or defect to other systems? Does the equipment really break down
>more than other systems? Is it a management problem? Is the learning
>curve too steep? I'd love to see qzar come back, but I can't
>figure out why it has diminished almost to the point of extinction.
>Any ideas? --John



17 Oct 2005 12:06:57
Christopher
Re: Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

Brian,

Why does your name sound so familiar? I mean other than from the
newsgroup? Email me - [email protected]

Christopher



21 Oct 2005 06:14:28
Brian Katz
Re: Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

I'm not sure why, did you play Qzar Chris?

Brian Katz

Having email problems at the moment, sorry,


>Brian,
>
>Why does your name sound so familiar? I mean other than from the
>newsgroup? Email me - [email protected]
>
>Christopher



25 Oct 2005 14:35:53
Christopher
Re: Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

Yes, in Little Rock and Tampa.

I just feel like I've seen your name somewhere else. Did you do any
work on PCQ?

-Christopher



27 Oct 2005 09:57:44
Brian Katz
Re: Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

No i didn't. What's PCQ? :)

Brian Katz


>Yes, in Little Rock and Tampa.
>
>I just feel like I've seen your name somewhere else. Did you do any
>work on PCQ?
>
>-Christopher



27 Oct 2005 10:33:57
Christopher
Re: Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

The Game Software. Maybe I met your or heard of you at the Tampa store.
I dunno. Your name just sounds really familiar.



17 Mar 2006 09:39:38
Craig Whisman
Re: Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

As the owner of Q-Zar in Atlanta, I can only give you the "Atlanta
view". Yes, it breaks...a lot. And if a battery goes dead, you have to
plus the thing in and let it charge for hours before it is useable
again. Most of the new systems allow changing the battery in a matter
of seconds. The Infra Red energizing and uploading slows the game down
considerably. The maintenance costs are also obscene. For example,
Q-Zar Systems charges $200 for a new red laser and $300 for a new green
laser. The Q-Zar system and software has not been manufactured since
about 1997. So everything available may be "new", but it has been
sitting in a warehouse for the past 8 or so years. I could list many
other reasons related to equipment support, but I won't bore you. In
regards to how the game is played, Q-Zar equipment is more challenging
and to me, a lot more fun. But the average player comes in once a year
so you have to make the game as simple as possible. If 10% of my
business was birthdays and 90% was public games with repeat customers, I
might feel differently. But it's the exact opposite. Hope this helps.

Craig Whisman
Q-Zar Atlanta
www.qzaratlanta.com

caweber wrote:
> Seriously folks, what's the deal? I remember the good 'ol days
> when qzar locations were pulling down like 500k in annual net profits.
> Saturday mornings were crowded with birthday parties while the regulars
> showed up in the evenings. I just don't understand how other laser
> systems have been beating qzar. I'm still convinced that qzar allows
> for a depth of game play that other systems just can't match
> (especially with shoulder sensors), but this doesn't seem to be
> enough to attract the crowds and pay the bills. What is the critical
> error in qzar that is causing more and more qzar locations to close up
> shop or defect to other systems? Does the equipment really break down
> more than other systems? Is it a management problem? Is the learning
> curve too steep? I'd love to see qzar come back, but I can't
> figure out why it has diminished almost to the point of extinction.
> Any ideas? --John
>



19 Mar 2006 00:14:27
caweber
Re: Why is Q-ZAR an endangered species?

Wow, that helps a lot. I had given up on this thread. Thanks for the
reply. You got me thinking again. -John