25 Sep 2003 17:09:40
Dopey
Youngest to shoot 9-dart 501?

I saw a squib in, of all places, the sport section of my local
(Seattle) newspaper, reporting that some 13-year-old Dutch kid had
become the youngest to shoot a perfect 501 game in competition; does
anyone have the details?

Incredible! Thirteen years old! I'm over three times that age and have
never come CLOSE to hitting one, even in practice (though I do have two
6-dart 301 DI/DO games in competition to my credit).

-Josh
josh at blarg dot net

26 Sep 2003 07:27:44
Gert Been
Re: Youngest to shoot 9-dart 501?

Hi Josh,

The kid is called Pascal van Mourik and he threw the 9 darter on the 17th of
august.
It was at a tournament in Tilburg and he was playing the semi-final. He was
3-2 down in a best of 7 legs
when he threw: T20, T20,T20,
T20, T20,T20
T20, T15, D18
He has only been playing darts for a year now.

Gert

30 Sep 2003 17:02:28
Dopey
Re: Youngest to shoot 9-dart 501?

In article <[email protected] >, Gert Been
<[email protected] > wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> The kid is called Pascal van Mourik and he threw the 9 darter on the 17th of
> august.
> It was at a tournament in Tilburg and he was playing the semi-final. He was
> 3-2 down in a best of 7 legs
> when he threw: T20, T20,T20,
> T20, T20,T20
> T20, T15, D18
> He has only been playing darts for a year now.

I think I'm going to cry.

Semi-related story: I introduced a friend of mine to darts, back when I
lived in Texas. He's, oh, about 6 foot 5 (just shy of 2 meters, for our
metric friends), and has VERY long arms for his height -- in short, a
natural dart-thrower's build. He can nearly reach out and stick the
dart in the board without throwing it, you know?

So, of course, within about 3 months, he's carrying about a 23 PPD
average, running around Texas and hustling money from people in
hundred-buck-a-game matches. He coulda been a contender!

But then, he got bored with darts, and decided he was more interested
in trying to be a HOCKEY player of all things. Why do people with
natural gifts like that just turn their backs on them? I'm a portly
42-year-old klutz, and every even remotely athletic thing I've ever
been good at was because I worked my ass off. I don't understand it.

-Josh

04 Oct 2003 13:57:02
Tae-chon
Re: Youngest to shoot 9-dart 501?

Hustling with only a 23ppd average? He probably did not have an allowance
large enough to cover his losses.

"Dopey" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:300920031702287968%[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, Gert Been
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > The kid is called Pascal van Mourik and he threw the 9 darter on the
17th of
> > august.
> > It was at a tournament in Tilburg and he was playing the semi-final. He
was
> > 3-2 down in a best of 7 legs
> > when he threw: T20, T20,T20,
> > T20, T20,T20
> > T20, T15, D18
> > He has only been playing darts for a year now.
>
> I think I'm going to cry.
>
> Semi-related story: I introduced a friend of mine to darts, back when I
> lived in Texas. He's, oh, about 6 foot 5 (just shy of 2 meters, for our
> metric friends), and has VERY long arms for his height -- in short, a
> natural dart-thrower's build. He can nearly reach out and stick the
> dart in the board without throwing it, you know?
>
> So, of course, within about 3 months, he's carrying about a 23 PPD
> average, running around Texas and hustling money from people in
> hundred-buck-a-game matches. He coulda been a contender!
>
> But then, he got bored with darts, and decided he was more interested
> in trying to be a HOCKEY player of all things. Why do people with
> natural gifts like that just turn their backs on them? I'm a portly
> 42-year-old klutz, and every even remotely athletic thing I've ever
> been good at was because I worked my ass off. I don't understand it.
>
> -Josh

04 Oct 2003 16:59:24
Andy Scott
Re: Youngest to shoot 9-dart 501?

"Tae-chon" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hustling with only a 23ppd average? He probably did not have an allowance
> large enough to cover his losses.

I'd assumed it was a typo and they meant 32ppd :-)

06 Oct 2003 01:34:28
Tae-chon
Re: Youngest to shoot 9-dart 501?

At 32, he's gonna take most of my money!

news:[email protected]