20 Feb 2006 06:30:22
Josh Hayes
Five. HATE five.

So here's the first several rounds in a recent 501 game (straight start):

55 (as you'd think: T5, 20, 20)
45 (typical: 20, 20, 5)
65 (5, 20, a little mad and skated the last dart into the D20)
55 (see round 1)
55 (see round 1)
45 (couldn't help but laugh at this point)

Finally had a couple good darts to leave 53 from the 181 (in fact, it was
T20, T20 -- now at 61, so I shot a bull to leave 36 and wired into the 8).

Then I took the 53 T17-D1, which is I'm sure what's on the chart. (joke)

Anyway: you see the point: I can't stay out of the [email protected]*&(!! 5. It's not like
I'm missing by three inches (or, for you metric types, by 8 cm): in fact,
I'm simply on the wrong side of the wire. It's hard for me to figure out
how to correct when I'm missing by only about 5 mm or so. Have other
shooters had a bad case of the "fives", and if so, what have you done to
try to correct it?

(It's not just because of this game I've reported. This is a chronic
problem for me.)

-Josh

20 Feb 2006 04:14:29
Tommo ?
Re: Five. HATE five.

Josh Hayes wrote:

Snip "leaning towards fives"

This has been a big problem for me. I've made improvements over the
last 6 months by holding the dart nearer the point and trying to get
some contact on the point itself as I throw. I found that aiming
slightly to the right of centre to correct the error didn't really work
for me, and I think you'll need to concentrate on getting the point of
the dart truer as you throw. The best way of doing this (for me) is to
try and get a grip on both the barrel and the point as I throw, and
I've needed to hold the dart in a slightly different way without
changing the overall type of grip I use.

If my first dart is T5 (or even S5) I usually switch straight down to
19's, where the problem isn't as bad, but even then hitting T7 is far
more common than hitting T3. even now If I'm finishing on D8 I'll aim
on the inside wire, but if it's D6 I'll aim on the outside wire.

20 Feb 2006 08:08:57
[email protected]
Re: Five. HATE five.

You might want to think a bit more about your form and release when you
throw. You maybe changing your throw a bit on dart that goes into the 5
it can be anything from a slightly different hand, a slight kick out to
the right of your elbow or some slight body movement. I've had to
struggle with this issue from time to time. Sometimes I can stand in
front of a mirror and pretend to throw my darts and see the problem,
other times just taking more time between throws helps. The most
important thing of all is to make sure that your throw is consistent,
and that you stay focused on the target.

Some threads on the subject that I have found helpful:

http://sewa-darts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=251&highlight=41s+26s+45s

http://sewa-darts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=400&highlight=41s+26s+45s

http://sewa-darts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=708&highlight=41s+26s+45s

Dart_talker --------------------------------
My Blog http://darttalk.blogspot.com/
Dart Blogs:
http://www.tommocubed.blogspot.com/
http://zeeple.blogspot.com/
The League http://vcda.org/
The Darts Forum: http://sewa-darts.com/

Tommo ?
Re: Five. HATE five.

[email protected] wrote:

Nice links, thanks. The "release" you mention is definatley the key.
I've been worse tonight for this talk about "5 drift", so can we make
it some kind of taboo on here please :o)

21 Feb 2006 07:27:12
pdshaw
Re: Five. HATE five.

You are fading left, to the 5 or 7? Assuming your throwing
right-handed, my guess would be that your thumb is quicker to pop than
are your fingers. I throw with my thumb, pointer, and flicker; and when
I throw I keep my ring finger and Mr. Pinky spread out away from my
throwers. Doing this promotes an even release. This is just my personal
method. Hope it helps. Also, try this...quit thinking about it so much,
just relax and throw.

21 Feb 2006 07:27:48
[email protected]
Re: Five. HATE five.

Tommo ?
LOL... OK! I hate when someone says don't hit any ONES when I'm
shooting, because that's when I hit ONES and FIVES the most! So I'll
just say MAY THE TRIP TWENTYS BE WITH YOU. LOL ;)

Dart_talker --------------------------------
My Blog http://darttalk.blogspot.com/
Dart Blogs:
http://www.tommocubed.blogspot.com/
http://zeeple.blogspot.com/
The League http://vcda.org/
The Darts Forum: http://sewa-darts.com/

Josh Hayes
Re: Five. HATE five.

"pdshaw" <[email protected] > wrote in news:1140535632.645147.170660
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> You are fading left, to the 5 or 7? Assuming your throwing
> right-handed, my guess would be that your thumb is quicker to pop than
> are your fingers. I throw with my thumb, pointer, and flicker; and when
> I throw I keep my ring finger and Mr. Pinky spread out away from my
> throwers. Doing this promotes an even release. This is just my personal
> method. Hope it helps. Also, try this...quit thinking about it so much,
> just relax and throw.

I may well try the "spread fingers" approach -- I think you're onto the
problem. I experimented with it some last night during practice, and I've
traced the problem to inconsistent release.

At the same time, your last suggestion seems to work pretty well, too: I
found that when I focus, slow down my throwing, and just throw, I was doing
fine.

-JAH

22 Feb 2006 03:49:36
Tommo ?
Re: Five. HATE five.

pdshaw wrote:
> You are fading left, to the 5 or 7? Assuming your throwing
> right-handed, my guess would be that your thumb is quicker to pop than
> are your fingers. I throw with my thumb, pointer, and flicker; and when
> I throw I keep my ring finger and Mr. Pinky spread out away from my
> throwers. Doing this promotes an even release. This is just my personal
> method. Hope it helps. Also, try this...quit thinking about it so much,
> just relax and throw.

Thanks. I'll still need to use the pinky to get the tip true, but it's
not really part of the grip and is just a guide. The mental thing you
mention sounds right.

22 Feb 2006 19:57:26
rockgod
Re: Five. HATE five.

Timing my dear watson Timing

"Josh Hayes" <[email protected] > schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]