02 Mar 2004 21:35:25
Aske
weight of ball

I am a danish pensionist, who would like to bowl, I have only tried for fun,
I am using a 5 kg. ball, how do I find out which weight would be best for me
?

02 Mar 2004 21:06:14
Joe Zachar
Re: weight of ball

Aske wrote:

>I am a danish pensionist, who would like to bowl, I have only tried for fun,
>I am using a 5 kg. ball, how do I find out which weight would be best for me
>?

General rule of thumb for a person in good health is to use a ball that
is 10 percent of your body weight (16 lbs (7.257 kg) is the maximum
allowable weight). But if you feel fine using a lighter weight ball
that's ok too. Just remember that the lighter ball may not get the same
pin action as the heavier ball.

When I first started bowling I used the alley balls that were provided
for free. I used the ball that fit the closest to my hand. It is hard
to tell what weight ball to use in this manner because when the ball
doesn't fit properly it will feel heavier.

I have my own bowling balls now. At one time I used a ball that was 16
lbs. Buy now, at 58 years old, I use 15 lbs balls (6.80 kg).

Joe Z

02 Mar 2004 19:29:17
Patrik Henriksson
Re: weight of ball

"Joe Zachar" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Aske wrote:
>
> >I am a danish pensionist, who would like to bowl, I have only tried for
fun,
> >I am using a 5 kg. ball, how do I find out which weight would be best for
me
> >?
> >

> General rule of thumb for a person in good health is to use a ball that
> is 10 percent of your body weight (16 lbs (7.257 kg) is the maximum
> allowable weight). But if you feel fine using a lighter weight ball
> that's ok too. Just remember that the lighter ball may not get the same
> pin action as the heavier ball.
>
> When I first started bowling I used the alley balls that were provided
> for free. I used the ball that fit the closest to my hand. It is hard
> to tell what weight ball to use in this manner because when the ball
> doesn't fit properly it will feel heavier.
>
> I have my own bowling balls now. At one time I used a ball that was 16
> lbs. Buy now, at 58 years old, I use 15 lbs balls (6.80 kg).

That rule of thumb has little connection to reality since just because one
is of a specific weight one does not neccesary have the same muscle strength
or stamina as someone else with the same weight.

I have always heard 2 other tips for correct ball weight:

Hold the ball in one hand and the other hand cupped under it, on
outstretched arms.
If you can comfortably hold this position for 5 seconds without starting to
shake and quiver you are within you proper weight range.

Or:

If you can comfortable play 3 games back to back without being too tired in
your bowling arm and hand you are playing with the correct weight.
--

-----
Patrik 'Putte' Henriksson

03 Mar 2004 06:57:33
Joe Zachar
Re: weight of ball

--------------040405000704040909050507

I put in a "good health" disclaimer. : ) The idea of a 5 second rule
was in conjunction with using the heaviest ball you could handle.
Swinging the ball is also another criteria. That said, it is not
always the case today since lighter balls, even 13 lbs balls (approx.
5.90 kg), have weight blocks that can generate more pin action.

Anyone who bowls only 3 games a week can tell you that their arm is
usually tired by the time they get to the third game. That doesn't
always mean that they have the wrong ball weight. It might mean that
they just don't exercies enough.

Joe Z

Patrik Henriksson wrote:

>"Joe Zachar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>

>>Aske wrote:
>>

>>>I am a danish pensionist, who would like to bowl, I have only tried for
>>>

>fun,
>

>>>I am using a 5 kg. ball, how do I find out which weight would be best for
>>>

>me
>

>>>?
>>>

>>General rule of thumb for a person in good health is to use a ball that
>>is 10 percent of your body weight (16 lbs (7.257 kg) is the maximum
>>allowable weight). But if you feel fine using a lighter weight ball
>>that's ok too. Just remember that the lighter ball may not get the same
>>pin action as the heavier ball.
>>
>>When I first started bowling I used the alley balls that were provided
>>for free. I used the ball that fit the closest to my hand. It is hard
>>to tell what weight ball to use in this manner because when the ball
>>doesn't fit properly it will feel heavier.
>>
>>I have my own bowling balls now. At one time I used a ball that was 16
>>lbs. Buy now, at 58 years old, I use 15 lbs balls (6.80 kg).
>>

>That rule of thumb has little connection to reality since just because one
>is of a specific weight one does not neccesary have the same muscle strength
>or stamina as someone else with the same weight.
>
>I have always heard 2 other tips for correct ball weight:
>
>Hold the ball in one hand and the other hand cupped under it, on
>outstretched arms.
>If you can comfortably hold this position for 5 seconds without starting to
>shake and quiver you are within you proper weight range.
>
>Or:
>
>If you can comfortable play 3 games back to back without being too tired in
>your bowling arm and hand you are playing with the correct weight.

--------------040405000704040909050507

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" >
<head >
<title ></title>
</head >
I put in a "good health" disclaimer. : )  The idea of a 5 second rule was
in conjunction with using the heaviest ball you could handle.  Swinging the
ball is also another criteria.  That said, it is not always the case today
since lighter balls, even 13 lbs balls (approx. 5.90 kg), have weight blocks
that can generate more pin action.<br >
Anyone who bowls only 3 games a week can tell you that their arm is usually
tired by the time they get to the third game.  That doesn't always mean that
they have the wrong ball weight.  It might mean that they just don't exercies
enough.<br >
Joe Z<br >
Patrik Henriksson wrote:<br >
cite="[email protected]" >
<pre wrap="" >"Joe Zachar" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:[email protected]" >news:[email protected]</a>...
</pre >
<pre wrap="" >
Aske wrote:

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >I am a danish pensionist, who would like to bowl, I have only tried for
</pre >
<pre wrap="" ><!---->fun,
</pre >
<pre wrap="" >I am using a 5 kg. ball, how do I find out which weight would be best for
</pre >
<pre wrap="" ><!---->me
</pre >
<pre wrap="" >?

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >General rule of thumb for a person in good health is to use a ball that
[...]

04 Mar 2004 03:43:44
NimBill
Re: weight of ball

>From: "Aske" [email protected]

>I am a danish pensionist, who would like to bowl, I have only tried for fun,
>I am using a 5 kg. ball, how do I find out which weight would be best for me
>?

I am a retired old man in the Most Poweful Nation in the World and the rule of
rhumb is 10% of your body weight as a maximum.

I am lewd and I am Crude and I am socially unacceptable but I am NimBill