19 Dec 2003 14:09:03
Bear Foot
considering dumping the wrist support

Hi all,
This is my 2nd year playing in leagues, before that I only played a few
times a year for fun. My average went up from 142 early last year to 155 by
year end, and this year it's been fluctuating between 172 and 175. I would
consider myself a mid-rev roller, I usually shoot either from center aimed
between 2nd and 3rd arrow, or line up on the second arrow, throw at it and
have it hook, depending on oil conditions (synthetic, usually with lots of
oil in the center. I think some of you refer to that as "fenced").

Some of the better players at the local alley have told me that the wrist
support keeps me from getting more revs, and I would be better off without
it. I tried before to bend the support more, but it is really uncomfortable
to have the support hold your wrist more at than 45 degrees.

Any advice to how I should approach practice during the holidays to see if
my game could improve without the support?

Thanks.

--
Bear Foot

19 Dec 2003 15:12:58
KMitch200
Re: considering dumping the wrist support

>From: "Bear Foot"
<snip >
>Some of the better players at the local alley have told me that the wrist
>support keeps me from getting more revs, and I would be better off without
>it. I tried before to bend the support more, but it is really uncomfortable
>to have the support hold your wrist more at than 45 degrees.
>
>Any advice to how I should approach practice during the holidays to see if
>my game could improve without the support?

Just guessing and going out on a limb here but maybe throw the ball without
wearing the wrist brace.

-----------------
Kelly Mitchell in Phx, AZ

Anything resembling political correctness in this post is purely coincidental,
unintentional and probably a mistake on the readers part.

19 Dec 2003 16:54:14
Bear Foot
Re: considering dumping the wrist support

"KMitch200" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >From: "Bear Foot"
> <snip>
> >Some of the better players at the local alley have told me that the wrist
> >support keeps me from getting more revs, and I would be better off
without
> >it. I tried before to bend the support more, but it is really
uncomfortable
> >to have the support hold your wrist more at than 45 degrees.
> >
> >Any advice to how I should approach practice during the holidays to see
if
> >my game could improve without the support?
> >

> Just guessing and going out on a limb here but maybe throw the ball
without
> wearing the wrist brace.
>
> -----------------
Ok, I disserved that...
I'll rephrase - For those who went from wearing a wrist support to dropping
it, how did it affect their game (did it improve or not), and did that lead
to a major style change.

19 Dec 2003 19:05:50
Dave Kent
Re: considering dumping the wrist support

I have a couple different wrist guards in the bag that I usually do not use in
competition. I will use one or the other in practice to "train" myself proper
positioning from time to time. I find them too limiting. If I have a wrist
ailment or I am in a slump that I think is related to wrist position, I will use
it in competition. Typically only after a layoff for a few (or even one)
session. There is also a good article on increasing revs in this months
"Bowling This Month."

I'd just try tossing a few shots without the guard to see how it feels. Some
folks do not have a strong enough wrist to properly support the ball throughout
the approach. If you feel that not using it will cause injury, then continue to
use it. You may have to find exercises to do away from the lanes to increase
your wrist strength.

PS - even when I am using the guard, I will remove it to pick the 10 pin. These
devices are designed to keep your wrist from breaking back, something I like to
do for 10 pin spares.

BTW - You must have trouble finding shoes that fit properly. <G >

--
"It's the kind of penalty you get when you
are too lazy to be disciplined."

19 Dec 2003 19:15:30
Larry T
Re: considering dumping the wrist support

I went from a wrist brace to none. Orginally trying like the devil to
get a decent hook and noticed my wrist was "breaking" (bending back).
The real problem was I held the ball to tight and approach way to fast
(19+) average was never able to get past 160 and I had a lot of
inconsistancy (very few all marks games). Slowed a bit, concentrated
on lift at the release and changed my start position form ball at
waist high to ball down near the knees. I also got rid of the brace,
wow-the ball started to hook. Recently I pulled a calf muscle so it
really slowed me down again. I was not able to "charge" the line so I
started my standard 4-step up a couple of feet from before, went up to
the target again much slower, I did not bend down as much (which
automatically gives loft) and low a behold a much more contollable
swing with good power and hook (the ball is a pretty big sweeper now)
with good punch and carry. I have moved over from the center board to
7-8 boards left of center, through out to the 4-6 board depending on
oil and get a very nice arc with good roll into the pocket. The speed
of course is down to the 15 mph range which obviously gives the ball
more time to track. (I'm using a track Voodoo, similar to ebonite
V2). Average is moving up through the 170s to what I believe I can
maintain 180 range. Speed is the key. Key to controll (games more
consistant, more pocket hits), and key to good carry. I just didn't
need the wrist support. At the controlled speed and delivery, the
wrist did just fine. Hope this is of help.

Larry T