07 Mar 2004 07:51:13
TonyAtRest
Wonder what you think about this in my League

We just started the 4th of 4 rounds last Wednesday. In the third round we
finished third for an extra $100.00 for our team. This is my 4th year on this
team but this is the first year we have had a six man rotation. Before we had
one occasional sub, but when someone was gone, the main person still paid the
bowling fees. This year whoever bowls pays. I made a deal with the team at
the beginning of the year that I could bowl every week, because I don't like to
miss any. In addition one other guy was only planning on missing twice.

I pointed out in passing to our captain that we each get an extra $20.00. He
said since we have 6 bowlers, it is actually a little less than $20.00. I
said, that since I bowl every week (and pay every week) it would be $20.00 for
me. He said that for overall point money we would do it that way, but for any
round money we won, we would divide it equally among the six of us. I insisted
that was not fair because I have bowled every week of every round whereas there
is one guy who has probably only bowled four or five weeks in at least some
rounds and the rest have also bowled less than me except for the guy who only
missed two weeks, who agrees with me. He talked to the captain about it and I
am not sure if they reached a decision.

What do other do in this situation. Obviously we should have established this
before the year began. I just assumed it was obvious since I am paying
fourteen bucks a week I would get a full 1/5th share in any team monies. Am I
wrong to assume that?

Tony

"I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."

Buzzcocks, 1976

07 Mar 2004 02:37:19
Darby
Re: Wonder what you think about this in my League

"TonyAtRest" <[email protected] > wrote
> We just started the 4th of 4 rounds last Wednesday. In the third round we
> finished third for an extra $100.00 for our team. This is my 4th year on
this
> team but this is the first year we have had a six man rotation. Before we
had
> one occasional sub, but when someone was gone, the main person still paid
the
> bowling fees. This year whoever bowls pays. I made a deal with the team
at
> the beginning of the year that I could bowl every week, because I don't
like to
> miss any. In addition one other guy was only planning on missing twice.
>
> I pointed out in passing to our captain that we each get an extra $20.00.
He
> said since we have 6 bowlers, it is actually a little less than $20.00. I
> said, that since I bowl every week (and pay every week) it would be $20.00
for
> me. He said that for overall point money we would do it that way, but for
any
> round money we won, we would divide it equally among the six of us. I
insisted
> that was not fair because I have bowled every week of every round whereas
there
> is one guy who has probably only bowled four or five weeks in at least
some
> rounds and the rest have also bowled less than me except for the guy who
only
> missed two weeks, who agrees with me. He talked to the captain about it
and I
> am not sure if they reached a decision.
>
> What do other do in this situation. Obviously we should have established
this
> before the year began. I just assumed it was obvious since I am paying
> fourteen bucks a week I would get a full 1/5th share in any team monies.
Am I
> wrong to assume that?
>
> Tony

I would tend to think you are correct, but it would be a team decision. For
a buck or two I wouldn't make a fuss. Just make sure this is discussed and
agreed upon before next year. One year I subbed for a team in City
Tournament. We won. The team decided to reimburse the sponsor out of the
winnings before it was split six ways. They were wrong, but I let it go. For
a few bucks you don't want to start a war. :)
Dar

> "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
>
> Buzzcocks, 1976

07 Mar 2004 15:53:49
Tony R Smith
Re: Wonder what you think about this in my League

I agree with Dar. Your reasoning is right on the money, and exactly how
I have always seen it done, but when ever you have an odd situation,
like a 6th man rotation, you need to sit down from the start and discuss
the prize fund so that there won't be any discussion later on... and if
you discuss it from the very start and don't like the out come you can
choose not to bowl.

Darby wrote:

>"TonyAtRest" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>>We just started the 4th of 4 rounds last Wednesday. In the third round we
>>finished third for an extra $100.00 for our team. This is my 4th year on
>>

>this
>

>>team but this is the first year we have had a six man rotation. Before we
>>

>had
>

>>one occasional sub, but when someone was gone, the main person still paid
>>

>the
>

>>bowling fees. This year whoever bowls pays. I made a deal with the team
>>

>at
>

>>the beginning of the year that I could bowl every week, because I don't
>>

>like to
>

>>miss any. In addition one other guy was only planning on missing twice.
>>
>>I pointed out in passing to our captain that we each get an extra $20.00.
>>

>He
>

>>said since we have 6 bowlers, it is actually a little less than $20.00. I
>>said, that since I bowl every week (and pay every week) it would be $20.00
>>

>for
>

>>me. He said that for overall point money we would do it that way, but for
>>

>any
>

>>round money we won, we would divide it equally among the six of us. I
>>

>insisted
>

>>that was not fair because I have bowled every week of every round whereas
>>

>there
>

>>is one guy who has probably only bowled four or five weeks in at least
>>

>some
>

>>rounds and the rest have also bowled less than me except for the guy who
>>

>only
>

>>missed two weeks, who agrees with me. He talked to the captain about it
>>

>and I
>

>>am not sure if they reached a decision.
>>
>>What do other do in this situation. Obviously we should have established
>>

>this
>

>>before the year began. I just assumed it was obvious since I am paying
>>fourteen bucks a week I would get a full 1/5th share in any team monies.
>>

>Am I
>

>>wrong to assume that?
>>
>>Tony
>>

>I would tend to think you are correct, but it would be a team decision. For
>a buck or two I wouldn't make a fuss. Just make sure this is discussed and
>agreed upon before next year. One year I subbed for a team in City
>Tournament. We won. The team decided to reimburse the sponsor out of the
>winnings before it was split six ways. They were wrong, but I let it go. For
>a few bucks you don't want to start a war. :)
>Dar
>

>>"I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
>>
>>Buzzcocks, 1976

07 Mar 2004 10:58:17
Moses Brown

TonyAtRest wrote:

> We just started the 4th of 4 rounds last Wednesday. In the third round we
> finished third for an extra $100.00 for our team. This is my 4th year on this
> team but this is the first year we have had a six man rotation. Before we had
> one occasional sub, but when someone was gone, the main person still paid the
> bowling fees. This year whoever bowls pays. I made a deal with the team at
> the beginning of the year that I could bowl every week, because I don't like to
> miss any. In addition one other guy was only planning on missing twice.
>
> I pointed out in passing to our captain that we each get an extra $20.00. He
> said since we have 6 bowlers, it is actually a little less than $20.00. I
> said, that since I bowl every week (and pay every week) it would be $20.00 for
> me. He said that for overall point money we would do it that way, but for any
> round money we won, we would divide it equally among the six of us. I insisted
> that was not fair because I have bowled every week of every round whereas there
> is one guy who has probably only bowled four or five weeks in at least some
> rounds and the rest have also bowled less than me except for the guy who only
> missed two weeks, who agrees with me. He talked to the captain about it and I
> am not sure if they reached a decision.
>
> What do other do in this situation. Obviously we should have established this
> before the year began. I just assumed it was obvious since I am paying
> fourteen bucks a week I would get a full 1/5th share in any team monies. Am I
> wrong to assume that?

why don't you break it down by how many games you bowled that quarter?
When you have 6 bowlers, you won't get an even $20. If you want to be
pissy about it, just have five bowlers, no subs and see where you place.
Then you won't be having this discussion on how to divide the money.

--
NP:

veritas~*~aequitas

"I'm tired of following my dreams. I am just going to ask where they are
going and hook up with them later."
~Mitch Hedberg~

07 Mar 2004 21:01:17
bowldoug
Re: Wonder what you think about this in my League

games bowled is not always the fair way as many many times there are bowler
shortages on some weeks. best way is by weeks paid.
meaning a team could bowl short but someone is paying for that week. if you
went by games bowled someone would be shortened in their share.

from the post, it appears that prize money for the team is earned two way.
by position and by point.
captain said that point money would be split based on portioned paid for.
but apparently not the position $. what the heckis this all about? why 2
different methods?

the prize is the prize fund. team earned x amount $ for points and y amount$
for position for a total of z$
this is the figure to be split. combine everything then split it by
proportionately by weeks paid.

realistically there are 5 spots paid (if 5 players teams) so the prizes fund
should be split into 5 piles to start with.

players A paid all the way he gets 1/5
players B ppaid all but 2 weeks they get 1/5 less the 2 weeks etc. or just
divide the total by the gross total of weeks .
IE: PF is $300 point plus $100 position totalof $400
10 weeks league X 5=50 400/50=$8 per spot per week.
bowlers A paid for 10 weeks they get $80
bowler B paid for 8 week they get $64 etc

the real gist is
A. the captain HAS NO AUTHORITY to decide how the prize fund is set to be
distributed. that is a TEAM decision. his job is to distribute it according
to the agreement. in the absense of such agreement, ABC will rule that each
player is entitles to their own fair share and the formula that is used is
based on the bowlers responsibility for payment. period end of story.

however for a small amount like $3.44 why bother? like Dra and others have
said, for this little just blow it off as experience however I would ask to
have the team discuss it and then just roll with the flow for this year.

--
Douglas Moye
Director Greater Detroit Bowling Association
news:[email protected]