26 Dec 2003 19:08:41
Ryan Press (NI)
Urethane ball drilling....

I have been sent a lot of free older balls in recent months, mostly urethane
balls... I am going to drill one up for my brother mainly because no-one
really uses 16lb balls here except him.. the one he's getting is a Ebonite
Tempest purple sanded... i have a couple of these and they are probably the
"better" of the old bunch... Now, I started drilling balls (and even
probably bowling) after the end of the Eurethan era, so havn't actually
drilled any! I take it there is nothing that can really be tweeked for a
better reaction!? Obviously it is a very old ball, and I could not find any
info about it on the net, so I'm guessing it has no core to speak off! Just
drillit ofer the lable, or on a ball this old will side weight actually do
any good? Personally, I thought the best idea would be to polish it up as a
spareball for him :-P

You never know though, it could suit him well - he throws a powerfull shot,
and the last "new" ball e got was an old "regeny" I had lying around that i
punched up for him for a laugh - he shot his first 700 within a few weeks of
drilling it :-| I'm thinking I should maybe wait till after the new year
actually before drilling it, him and my sister have won our local new years
day competition the past two years and i would liek a chot at it this year!
:-P

Ryan

29 Dec 2003 09:48:14
Pat Umphrey
Re: Urethane ball drilling....

"Ryan Press (NI)" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<YG%[email protected]>...
> I have been sent a lot of free older balls in recent months, mostly urethane
> balls... I am going to drill one up for my brother mainly because no-one
> really uses 16lb balls here except him.. the one he's getting is a Ebonite
> Tempest purple sanded... i have a couple of these and they are probably the
> "better" of the old bunch... Now, I started drilling balls (and even
> probably bowling) after the end of the Eurethan era, so havn't actually
> drilled any! I take it there is nothing that can really be tweeked for a
> better reaction!? Obviously it is a very old ball, and I could not find any
> info about it on the net, so I'm guessing it has no core to speak off! Just
> drillit ofer the lable, or on a ball this old will side weight actually do
> any good? Personally, I thought the best idea would be to polish it up as a
> spareball for him :-P
>
> You never know though, it could suit him well - he throws a powerfull shot,
> and the last "new" ball e got was an old "regeny" I had lying around that i
> punched up for him for a laugh - he shot his first 700 within a few weeks of
> drilling it :-| I'm thinking I should maybe wait till after the new year
> actually before drilling it, him and my sister have won our local new years
> day competition the past two years and i would liek a chot at it this year!
> :-P
>
> Ryan

Not familiar with the tempest, if it's a pancake/puddle weightblock
I'd just stick some static weight in there and say a prayer.

For a two peice, I think drilling will still make a difference. I
levereged a blue urethane beast and I still get about 3-4" flare on
it, and don't leave home without it.

29 Dec 2003 18:22:26
Ryan Press (NI)
Re: Urethane ball drilling....

Cheers - yeh I dont expect a lot from it to be honest, and i doubt he does
either! However, I may as will drill it to et the most out of it, if it has
anything to give! :-P

Ryan

"Pat Umphrey" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Ryan Press (NI)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<YG%[email protected] >...
> > I have been sent a lot of free older balls in recent months, mostly
urethane
> > balls... I am going to drill one up for my brother mainly because no-one
> > really uses 16lb balls here except him.. the one he's getting is a
Ebonite
> > Tempest purple sanded... i have a couple of these and they are probably
the
> > "better" of the old bunch... Now, I started drilling balls (and even
> > probably bowling) after the end of the Eurethan era, so havn't actually
> > drilled any! I take it there is nothing that can really be tweeked for
> > better reaction!? Obviously it is a very old ball, and I could not find
any
> > info about it on the net, so I'm guessing it has no core to speak off!
Just
> > drillit ofer the lable, or on a ball this old will side weight actually
do
> > any good? Personally, I thought the best idea would be to polish it up
as a
> > spareball for him :-P
> >
> > You never know though, it could suit him well - he throws a powerfull
shot,
> > and the last "new" ball e got was an old "regeny" I had lying around
that i
> > punched up for him for a laugh - he shot his first 700 within a few
weeks of
> > drilling it :-| I'm thinking I should maybe wait till after the new
year
> > actually before drilling it, him and my sister have won our local new
years
> > day competition the past two years and i would liek a chot at it this
year!
> > :-P
> >
> > Ryan
>

> Not familiar with the tempest, if it's a pancake/puddle weightblock
> I'd just stick some static weight in there and say a prayer.
>
> For a two peice, I think drilling will still make a difference. I
> levereged a blue urethane beast and I still get about 3-4" flare on
> it, and don't leave home without it.

30 Dec 2003 03:21:37
R . A . P .
Re: Urethane ball drilling....

Well I drilled it last night - gave me a chance to try out that
formula Buckleys and Tony gave me to work out where to put the CG for
max side weight with no balance hole :P

Ryan