19 Nov 2005 08:33:08
Blue 58
This may sound silly, but.....

(we don't bowl for another two weeks due to Thanksgiving & I
don't have the contact info in front of me, so I'll ask
here)

... do we have specifically request a special achievement
award when qualified for?

Our entire team is new to league bowling, and aside from
myself, virtually new to blowing in general... and still not
quite familiar with all the ins & outs of bowling in a
sanctioned league, which has been explained several times.

After receiving our USBC cards/letters in the mail (8 weeks
after my league sec. told us to expect it), and checking out
the website, I've discovered that our new/frustrated bowlers
have each qualified for at least one of the special
achievement awards (160gm w/ <120avg, 140 over series avg,
400 series w/ <115avg, etc, etc).

12 weeks into the league it seems that at least half the
league has already rec'd some award... and with 3 new
bowlers stuggling to be above 100 all 3 games, I ignorantly
assumed that they never qualified for anything.

I could understand pointing something out that wouldn't
appear on the score sheet, such as a 7-10, or Dutch 200, but
for the game/series-based achievement awards, is it typical
to have to request them, or are they usually noticed &
handled for by the secretary automatically?

My teamate's frustrations-levels have been high at times as
they learn... it'd be nice for their achievements, no matter
how small, to be rewarded.

Thanks

19 Nov 2005 11:35:45
Joe Zachar
Re: This may sound silly, but.....

I have the feeling that some of these awards are so new for the low end
bowlers that the league secretaries are not catching them. I use to
have the same problem when I asked for my Senior Awards (which they
eliminated when they added the new low end awards). Go figure.

Joe Z

Blue 58 wrote:

>(we don't bowl for another two weeks due to Thanksgiving & I
>don't have the contact info in front of me, so I'll ask
>here)
>

>... do we have specifically request a special achievement
>award when qualified for?
>
>Our entire team is new to league bowling, and aside from
>myself, virtually new to blowing in general... and still not
>quite familiar with all the ins & outs of bowling in a
>sanctioned league, which has been explained several times.
>
>After receiving our USBC cards/letters in the mail (8 weeks
>after my league sec. told us to expect it), and checking out
>the website, I've discovered that our new/frustrated bowlers
>have each qualified for at least one of the special
>achievement awards (160gm w/ <120avg, 140 over series avg,
>400 series w/ <115avg, etc, etc).
>
>12 weeks into the league it seems that at least half the
>league has already rec'd some award... and with 3 new
>bowlers stuggling to be above 100 all 3 games, I ignorantly
>assumed that they never qualified for anything.
>
>I could understand pointing something out that wouldn't
>appear on the score sheet, such as a 7-10, or Dutch 200, but
>for the game/series-based achievement awards, is it typical
>to have to request them, or are they usually noticed &
>handled for by the secretary automatically?
>
>My teamate's frustrations-levels have been high at times as
>they learn... it'd be nice for their achievements, no matter
>how small, to be rewarded.
>
>Thanks

19 Nov 2005 16:36:52
Tony R Smith
Re: This may sound silly, but.....

It really depends on whether your secretary is using software that
automatically alerts you when an award is earned or not, and/or how on
the ball your secretary is. I have not received
several awards in the past. My advice is that if you know that an award
was earned, let the secretary know and always mark the score sheet with
the award earned so as to take the guess work away from the secretary.

Blue 58 wrote:

>(we don't bowl for another two weeks due to Thanksgiving & I
>don't have the contact info in front of me, so I'll ask
>here)
>

>... do we have specifically request a special achievement
>award when qualified for?
>
>Our entire team is new to league bowling, and aside from
>myself, virtually new to blowing in general... and still not
>quite familiar with all the ins & outs of bowling in a
>sanctioned league, which has been explained several times.
>
>After receiving our USBC cards/letters in the mail (8 weeks
>after my league sec. told us to expect it), and checking out
>the website, I've discovered that our new/frustrated bowlers
>have each qualified for at least one of the special
>achievement awards (160gm w/ <120avg, 140 over series avg,
>400 series w/ <115avg, etc, etc).
>
>12 weeks into the league it seems that at least half the
>league has already rec'd some award... and with 3 new
>bowlers stuggling to be above 100 all 3 games, I ignorantly
>assumed that they never qualified for anything.
>
>I could understand pointing something out that wouldn't
>appear on the score sheet, such as a 7-10, or Dutch 200, but
>for the game/series-based achievement awards, is it typical
>to have to request them, or are they usually noticed &
>handled for by the secretary automatically?
>
>My teamate's frustrations-levels have been high at times as
>they learn... it'd be nice for their achievements, no matter
>how small, to be rewarded.
>
>Thanks

19 Nov 2005 18:40:33
Rick
Re: This may sound silly, but.....

Wouldn't it have been nice for someone to familiarize you new folks to that
stuff at your start of season league meeting. That should be the officers
job. The secretary should also let team captains know how he would like
award scores marked so he can send those in promptly.

"Blue 58" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> (we don't bowl for another two weeks due to Thanksgiving & I
> don't have the contact info in front of me, so I'll ask
> here)
>

> ... do we have specifically request a special achievement
> award when qualified for?
>
> Our entire team is new to league bowling, and aside from
> myself, virtually new to blowing in general... and still not
> quite familiar with all the ins & outs of bowling in a
> sanctioned league, which has been explained several times.
>
> After receiving our USBC cards/letters in the mail (8 weeks
> after my league sec. told us to expect it), and checking out
> the website, I've discovered that our new/frustrated bowlers
> have each qualified for at least one of the special
> achievement awards (160gm w/ <120avg, 140 over series avg,
> 400 series w/ <115avg, etc, etc).
>
> 12 weeks into the league it seems that at least half the
> league has already rec'd some award... and with 3 new
> bowlers stuggling to be above 100 all 3 games, I ignorantly
> assumed that they never qualified for anything.
>
> I could understand pointing something out that wouldn't
> appear on the score sheet, such as a 7-10, or Dutch 200, but
> for the game/series-based achievement awards, is it typical
> to have to request them, or are they usually noticed &
> handled for by the secretary automatically?
>
> My teamate's frustrations-levels have been high at times as
> they learn... it'd be nice for their achievements, no matter
> how small, to be rewarded.
>
> Thanks

19 Nov 2005 16:42:36
Blue 58
Re: This may sound silly, but.....

>Wouldn't it have been nice for someone to familiarize you new folks to that
>stuff at your start of season league meeting. That should be the officers
>job. The secretary should also let team captains know how he would like
>award scores marked so he can send those in promptly.

I think we stumbled upon a disorganized center/league... and
the further we get into it, not as friendly as I would have
expected either.

We showed up for the first week we had a meeting about this
year's turnout was 1/3 of last year's, as was the other
league on the same night (shoulda took notice of that 'eh?).
Anywho, it was agreed upon that the leagues would join...
however, one is sanctioned, while the other is not. I'm new
to leagues, but that just seems like an odd combo.

Each week when I turn in our dues and then later turn in the
score sheet I'm met with a blank stare... like I've done
something wrong. I swear our secretary has murmered less
than 5 words to our entire team. I may be exagerating
slightly, but it feels like, "Bowlers not welcome to our
league unless you are our friends outside of it."

That all being said, the league President was a blast to
bowl against, gave us excelent tips, etc.... just a good
time. After bowling against his team 10wks into the season,
we felt a renewed encouragement about the league.
However, last night we were told that he had to quit due to
his wife being ill.

So now we're back to where we before we bowled against the
Pres., and even a slight bit farther due to the award
confusion.

So, new question... spring leagues? I've seen them
mentioned in the archives of this group, but are they
common? I'm a lil more forgiving and willing to stick it
out through April as scheduled, but I'm afraid the other 3
on my team, that learning to bowl with the overall
atmosphere of our league will never want to bowl again.
I'd hate to quit in the middle of the season, but
considering that 2/3 of last's years teams didn't return,
quitting mid-season if we could find a spring league
wouldn't be all that bad of a decision.

19 Nov 2005 18:26:37
Blue 58
Re: This may sound silly, but.....

>Anywho, it was agreed upon that the leagues would join...
>however, one is sanctioned, while the other is not. I'm new
>to leagues, but that just seems like an odd combo.

Just a quick correction, while I have heard stated that the
other league it is not sanctioned, it is listed with the
USBC at Bowl.com Either my errr in hearing, or their err...
either way, the end result was two sanctioned leagues
merging... not near as odd as I had oringally thought.

19 Nov 2005 22:35:18
Mudd Bug
Re: This may sound silly, but.....

"Blue 58" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Our entire team is new to league bowling, and aside from
> myself, virtually new to blowing in general... and still not
> quite familiar with all the ins & outs of bowling in a
> sanctioned league, which has been explained several times.

LOL

I know it's a typo, but I needed a good laugh tonight, Thanks!

26 Nov 2005 07:44:44
Skipper
Re: This may sound silly, but.....

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:26:37 -0600, Blue 58 <[email protected] > wrote:

Since you have the ability to take action, why not take this on
yourself? Get together with others and make the changes you need. Take
your league into your own hands and make it fun. Others have done it
and you can do it.