27 Nov 2005 19:43:19
KD
Hook again treatment

Hi,
I live in the UK and I finally bought a Hook Again treatment chamber etc.
just to try it out (cost 32, $50 ish?). My BVP Nemesis was decidedly
lack-lustre but the treatment has made a tremendous difference. My question
is ... what is the hook again powder composed of ? It looks like I'll have
to spend 10 (approx $16) every time I want to treat the ball and I want to
work out if I can do this myself more cost effectively. I'd like to work
out how many proper or DIY treatments I can get through before I should
really buy another ball. The ball originally cost about 120. It's quite
difficult for me to get someone to drill a new ball so there are many
factors, both time and money, involved in what I'm thinking at the moment.
I'm not trying to be a cheapskate but, at this rate, by the time I've
treated it a few more times I may as well buy a new ball (oven baking or
microwaving is an option I suppose). If the treatment didn't have to be
imported then it probably wouldn't be an issue.

All tips gratefully received,
Thanks,
Keith

27 Nov 2005 19:50:10
KD
Re: Hook again treatment

"KD" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:9%[email protected]
> Hi,
> I live in the UK and I finally bought a Hook Again treatment chamber etc.
> just to try it out (cost 32, $50 ish?). My BVP Nemesis was decidedly
> lack-lustre but the treatment has made a tremendous difference. My
> question is ... what is the hook again powder composed of ? It looks like
> I'll have to spend 10 (approx $16) every time I want to treat the ball
> and I want to work out if I can do this myself more cost effectively. I'd
> like to work out how many proper or DIY treatments I can get through
> before I should really buy another ball. The ball originally cost about
> 120. It's quite difficult for me to get someone to drill a new ball so
> there are many factors, both time and money, involved in what I'm thinking
> at the moment. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate but, at this rate, by the
> time I've treated it a few more times I may as well buy a new ball (oven
> baking or microwaving is an option I suppose). If the treatment didn't
> have to be imported then it probably wouldn't be an issue.
>
> All tips gratefully received,
> Thanks,
> Keith

After re-reading my original post, I thought I'd better change microwaving
to dishwashing :O) I've never heard of anyone microwaving a ball ... maybe
I've become an accidental pioneer :O) Me any my kitchen appliance problems
eh ?
Sorry about that,
Keith

27 Nov 2005 18:38:04
Re: Hook again treatment

"KD" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:9%[email protected]
> Hi,
> I live in the UK and I finally bought a Hook Again treatment chamber etc.
> just to try it out (cost 32, $50 ish?). My BVP Nemesis was decidedly
> lack-lustre but the treatment has made a tremendous difference. My
> question is ... what is the hook again powder composed of ? It looks like
> I'll have to spend 10 (approx $16) every time I want to treat the ball
> and I want to work out if I can do this myself more cost effectively. I'd
> like to work out how many proper or DIY treatments I can get through
> before I should really buy another ball. The ball originally cost about
> 120. It's quite difficult for me to get someone to drill a new ball so
> there are many factors, both time and money, involved in what I'm thinking
> at the moment. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate but, at this rate, by the
> time I've treated it a few more times I may as well buy a new ball (oven
> baking or microwaving is an option I suppose). If the treatment didn't
> have to be imported then it probably wouldn't be an issue.
>
> All tips gratefully received,
> Thanks,
> Keith

Never tried Hook Again, although I've heard they work fine. I've heard a
couple stories about people putting a ball in a standard microwave, and in
both cases the ball melted and core cracked. You'd be better off putting
the ball in the oven for 20 minutes at 100 degrees, then cleaning the excess
oil off. Here in the US, a resurfacing job every 250-300 games will cost
you around $30-40.

28 Nov 2005 04:18:12
Darby
Re: Hook again treatment

<[email protected] > wrote

> "KD" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Hi,
>> I live in the UK and I finally bought a Hook Again treatment chamber etc.
>> just to try it out (cost 32, $50 ish?). My BVP Nemesis was decidedly
>> lack-lustre but the treatment has made a tremendous difference. My
>> question is ... what is the hook again powder composed of ? It looks
>> like I'll have to spend 10 (approx $16) every time I want to treat the
>> ball and I want to work out if I can do this myself more cost
>> effectively. I'd like to work out how many proper or DIY treatments I
>> can get through before I should really buy another ball. The ball
>> originally cost about 120. It's quite difficult for me to get someone
>> to drill a new ball so there are many factors, both time and money,
>> involved in what I'm thinking at the moment. I'm not trying to be a
>> cheapskate but, at this rate, by the time I've treated it a few more
>> times I may as well buy a new ball (oven baking or microwaving is an
>> option I suppose). If the treatment didn't have to be imported then it
>> probably wouldn't be an issue.
>>
>> All tips gratefully received,
>> Thanks,
>> Keith
>
> Never tried Hook Again, although I've heard they work fine. I've heard a
> couple stories about people putting a ball in a standard microwave, and in
> both cases the ball melted and core cracked. You'd be better off putting
> the ball in the oven for 20 minutes at 100 degrees, then cleaning the
> excess oil off. Here in the US, a resurfacing job every 250-300 games
> will cost you around $30-40.

You haven't been reading this group long have you? The general consensus is
that baking is a poor idea. A member of ASB from Australia has analyzed the
seepage. The stuff coming out is the resins that make it a reactive ball,
not the oil we had thought.
Dar