27 Aug 2004 11:29:22
Critter
Corporate Owned Bowling Centers - How do you like them?

Anyone bowl at a Corporate owned bowling center (Brunswick, AMF, etc.) and
if you do how do you like it? Do you think it's better or worse then
bowling at a privately owned facility? Would you recommend bowling there
over a private place?

27 Aug 2004 16:53:49
Larry T
Re: Corporate Owned Bowling Centers - How do you like them?

For about 10 years I bowled at a Brunswick center in Burlington, MA.
As you may be aware, 10 pin or what we call "big ball" bowling is
secondary to the more established Candlepin bowling (longer thinner
pins with small 6lb balls, 3 rolls in a frame and wood on the deck
stays in play during the frame) here in New England. The Brunswick
center had 20+ lanes of both in the facility. It no longer exists and
is now a long term storage facility. It seemed that every year less
and less was spent on maintenance and improvements and by the last few
years if was pretty awful. Dirty lanes, broken and malfunctioning
equipment, and the "I don't really care" attitude by the management
made the lanes we moved to (independently owned) a real pleasure. My
vote is for a private place, specially if the owners work there and
manage it hands-on.

Larry T.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:29:22 GMT, "Critter" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Anyone bowl at a Corporate owned bowling center (Brunswick, AMF, etc.) and
>if you do how do you like it? Do you think it's better or worse then
>bowling at a privately owned facility? Would you recommend bowling there
>over a private place?

29 Aug 2004 05:39:33
Mike
Re: Corporate Owned Bowling Centers - How do you like them?

A privately owned allwy is the best due to the amount of pride and
also the owner is more likely to be a bowler and understand the needs
of making bowlers feel like bowlers not a 2nd rate person.

Also lane mechs in privately owned alleys are of a better standard and
the ability to talk to the bowlers as equals is better.

Thres going to be more passion in your own center than a "company"
owned one... Individuality instead of a common theme is a nicer
touch..

I have looked into owning my own center and working out the funding is
the one problem I have atm.. but who knows ;)

Mike

Larry T <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> For about 10 years I bowled at a Brunswick center in Burlington, MA.
> As you may be aware, 10 pin or what we call "big ball" bowling is
> secondary to the more established Candlepin bowling (longer thinner
> pins with small 6lb balls, 3 rolls in a frame and wood on the deck
> stays in play during the frame) here in New England. The Brunswick
> center had 20+ lanes of both in the facility. It no longer exists and
> is now a long term storage facility. It seemed that every year less
> and less was spent on maintenance and improvements and by the last few
> years if was pretty awful. Dirty lanes, broken and malfunctioning
> equipment, and the "I don't really care" attitude by the management
> made the lanes we moved to (independently owned) a real pleasure. My
> vote is for a private place, specially if the owners work there and
> manage it hands-on.
>
> Larry T.
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:29:22 GMT, "Critter" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Anyone bowl at a Corporate owned bowling center (Brunswick, AMF, etc.) and
> >if you do how do you like it? Do you think it's better or worse then
> >bowling at a privately owned facility? Would you recommend bowling there
> >over a private place?

30 Aug 2004 01:20:10
Evil Joe Schmuckatelli

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:29:22 UTC, "Critter" <[email protected] > wrote:

> Anyone bowl at a Corporate owned bowling center (Brunswick, AMF, etc.) and
> if you do how do you like it?

Well, seeing as how I work at one on the weekends, I'm rather fond of the
place. ;-) As for those that say the owners of independent centers take more
pride in their center's appearance, let me say: in some cases, that is true.
There are also some independents that look like dumps. Just because it isn't
corporate doesn't automatically make it better.

------------------------------------------------+------------------
"One World, One Web, One Program." -- Microsoft | OS/2 Warp
| Solid like Linux
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuehrer." -- Hitler | Easy like Windows

"...but is what we're doing evil?"

"Of course not! Listen, Zip -- EVIL spelled backwards
is LIVE -- and we all want to do that!"

Hi! I'm the Spawn of Satan (tm)!
Ask me about franchise opportunities in your area!

All your base are belong to us.

Save a cow. Eat a vegetarian!

Dark days in human history: Hiroshima'45 Chernobyl'86 Windows'95

Proud Member of the Signature Is Longer Than The Post Association