23 Jan 2005 00:33:36
AMF Pinnacle Pins

I am new to the group and have read here and on bowling BBS that the
AMFlite II pins are considered by most to be the best pins, and better
sounding and scoring than Brunswick. After bowling in different houses
using AMF and Brunswick pins, I am inclined to agree.

Looking at AMF's website, I see they have a new pin- the Pinnacle. It
can be seen at the page linked below.

http://www.amfproducts.com/equip/ce-pin.asp

It is supposed to be even better than the AMFlite II pins. Has anyone
bowled with them and can comment? According to an AMF press release
they are supposedly selling very well, but I have not seen them in use
anywhere.

Oh- and how do you say AMFlite? is it amflight? OR Ay-Em-Eff-light?
OR Ay-Em-Flight? Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

24 Jan 2005 00:46:58
Spammy Sammy
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>Oh- and how do you say AMFlite? is it amflight? OR Ay-Em-Eff-light?
> OR Ay-Em-Flight? Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

My money is on Ay-Em-Eff-lite simply because the company's name is AMF.

23 Jan 2005 10:41:04
Jamie
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

I'm going with Ay-em-Flite. SImiliar to the ay-em-Force ball line they had 2
or 3 years ago. AMForce 1,2,3, and 4

just my .02 cause Im bored and football isn't on for another 5 hours.

Jamie
"Spammy Sammy" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>Oh- and how do you say AMFlite? is it amflight? OR Ay-Em-Eff-light?
>> OR Ay-Em-Flight? Inquiring minds want to know... :-)
>
> My money is on Ay-Em-Eff-lite simply because the company's name is AMF.

23 Jan 2005 18:03:54
Bowen691jack
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

>Subject: AMF Pinnacle Pins
>From: [email protected]
>Date: 1/23/2005 2:33 A.M. Central Standard Time
>
>I am new to the group and have read here and on bowling BBS that the
>AMFlite II pins are considered by most to be the best pins, and better
>sounding and scoring than Brunswick. After bowling in different houses
>using AMF and Brunswick pins, I am inclined to agree.

For sure if the sound is better you will add another 10 or so to your
average????

Pay more attention to the flat gutters and kickbacks than pin makes -
Twisters seem to be the only ones that hold scores down - you kinda (gasp)
have to be accurate

23 Jan 2005 13:02:18
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

Not saying that better sound will help my average- but I do think for
some reason I do better in houses with the AMF pins.

I started around the beginning of December and my average is around
160. Every time I bowl a set of seven games I always get one or two in
the 180s and on New Year's Day I had my first 200+ game, a 212. For a
beginner I think I am reasonably accurate.

I'm a techie so as I learn my new sport, it is fun to learn about the
pins and pinsetters and lanes, etc. The bolwing tech forums seem to
preach the AMFlite and all the highest-scoring series have been with
AMF pins. You can see more at www.bowltech.com, see the Discussion
forums.

23 Jan 2005 18:17:40
BowlerCentral.com
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

I think alot of the differences in pins are neglible with the exception
of the Twister Pins. Keep in mind that the set up from house to house
is different as earlier noted by Bowen691jack. A more flat or deep
gutter or differences in the kickboards will affect the pin action.
The other factors are in how old the pins are and how many cycles they
have on them. You may or may not have heard of the term "dead wood"
which usually refers to older pins.

In my opinion, each house is going to carry a bit different depending
on the lane surface, how clean the backend and pin deck is. Since you
are relatively new to the sport, you most likely are not getting the
exact same roll each time out (that takes time and practice) so it will
be hard to make the statement that you bowl better with a different
pin. For myself, I have two centers owned by the same owner, who setup
the same way and have nearly exact maintenece routines. Same pins, but
one center is 2 years older and I average 13 pins more in there than
the newer house. My home center is wood and older and I have a
horrible average there, and yet the synthetic center a few miles away
gives me way more games over average. There is a big difference in
averages between those two centers.

Look at the PBA. They normally use the same pins each week and yet the
last two weeks the scoring average was so extreme just based on the
center and the oil pattern. The Cheetah pattern scored big and the
Scorpion was alot lower. I dont have the exact averages with me but I
know that there were more 300's thrown on the Cheetah last week at El
Paso than at any other single PBA event.

24 Jan 2005 03:54:51
NimBill
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

>From: [email protected]

>I am new to the group and have read here and on bowling BBS that the
>AMFlite II pins are considered by most to be the best pins, and better
>sounding and scoring than Brunswick. After bowling in different houses
>using AMF and Brunswick pins, I am inclined to agree.

And you will be wrong!

The pins have little to do with how well you score but the pisetters do!

24 Jan 2005 13:37:55
John O
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

>I think alot of the differences in pins are neglible with the exception
> of the Twister Pins.

Have you ever bowled with the gold (3 lb 10 oz) pins?

My primary house just boxed up their 20 lanes worth of twisters, and they
are sending them back. Virtually every league complained about averages
being down this year.

-John O

24 Jan 2005 08:11:45
Smokey
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

> My primary house just boxed up their 20 lanes worth of twisters, and they
> are sending them back. Virtually every league complained about averages
> being down this year.

Sounds like a bunch of WHINING CRYBABIES to me!

24 Jan 2005 11:18:32
mhood
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

Smokey wrote:

>>My primary house just boxed up their 20 lanes worth of twisters, and they
>>are sending them back. Virtually every league complained about averages
>>being down this year.
>>

>Sounds like a bunch of WHINING CRYBABIES to me!

It took me quite a while to begin to score well with the twister pins.
Lots of whining and whimpering before I learned to take a straighter
line to the pocket and that light hits usually score better than what I
used to consider a flush pocket hit. Overall, I don't care for the
twisters, but I don't think the owner of the alley I bowl at will ever
let them go while he thinks they are going to last for several seasons.

mhood

24 Jan 2005 11:45:33
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

[email protected] wrote:
> I am new to the group and have read here and on bowling BBS that the
> AMFlite II pins are considered by most to be the best pins, and
better
> sounding and scoring than Brunswick. After bowling in different
houses
> using AMF and Brunswick pins, I am inclined to agree.

Yo... are you in the 'burgh? If so, which lanes do you bowl at? 160
average after 1 month of the sport... wow...

24 Jan 2005 19:46:37
John O
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

>> My primary house just boxed up their 20 lanes worth of twisters, and they
>> are sending them back. Virtually every league complained about averages
>> being down this year.
>
> Sounds like a bunch of WHINING CRYBABIES to me!

When the proprietor is hearing a lot of people talk negative about them, and
I mean a LOT, he's got to cater to his customers. He'd be a fool not to,
although I agree with your assessment 100%. ;-)

-John O

25 Jan 2005 08:27:16
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

Yep- I live in the South Hills. I like to go to Arsenal in
Lawrenceville and South Hills Bowl on Curry Road. Neither place is
very fancy, but I love the specials... $6 for all you can bowl
9pm-midnight at Arsenal, and $9.00 for three hours weekdays at South
Hills Bowl, and $9.00 for their all-night weekend bowling 11pm-4am.
None of that black light Cosmic crap at their all-night deal, either!
Just good ol' bowling.

The day I got my own ball I rolled a 186 in my first game with it. I
bowled four that afternoon at AMF Mt. Lebanon, and fifteen games that
evening at Arsenal. I ended up hurting the skin on my fingers, LOL!
Now I have callous there and it is not a problem... :-)

25 Jan 2005 18:07:11
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

Oh, excellent... I was under the impression that the specials at
Arsenal always had some weird crap like "College Night" and "band
night" associated, so I never tried it... I only bowled there once and
never bowled over 150... but I attribute that to (1) I had a blister
the size of a quarter on the web of my thumb, and (2) I usually bowl at
the ghetto wooden lanes in Squirrel hill (the machines there are pretty
ghetto too). I may try it again. How are the lanes in South Hills--is
that the AMF place?

25 Jan 2005 19:31:08
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

Actually. most of the specials at Arsenal ARE weird crap like band
night. My favorite is 80s night, which is Thursdays. I put up with
the weirdness because it is so darn cheap. It would cost $60+ to bowl
15 games on a weekenight anywhere else! I think they do turn out the
lights on weekends.

South Hills Bowl is the one that keeps the lights on for all-night
bowling. Costs $9 for all you can bowl from 11pm-4 am. They are on
Curry Road near Baldwin and Whitehall. They have a good weekday
special in the daytime, $9 for 3 hours, all you can bowl. They have
the All AMF equipment, it's pretty old but I did the retroness of it.
You keep your own score on a score sheet they give you. I hate the
score systems with the stupid cartoon animations! After seeing them
ten times, you get tired of them pretty easily. Some of these places
are overboard on the flash factor.

Where do you go, Forward lanes? Any good deals there? If you ever
need a bowling partner, let me know. Name's Don, email me at
[email protected] .

25 Jan 2005 19:32:56
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

Oh- when I said "the AMF Place" I meant AMF Mt. Lebanon lanes. AMF
Corporate-owned, top-notch maintenance and very new equipment.
Downside is $4.00 per game all the time. Give me the older lanes and
the gear!

30 Jan 2005 12:36:18
Re: AMF Pinnacle Pins

At Forward lanes, on Wed. you can bowl from 12-3 PM for $10. Its
usually pretty quite and is good if you don't like staying out until
weird hours in the morning. But, thats the only special they have.