03 Mar 2005 06:03:02
Greg R.
What to wear to the gym

I've never posted here before. If this has been covered recently, I couldn't
find it. I did a Google search and didn't find much. I'm in pretty good
shape, and not vain at all. Shy in fact. I have been working out at home,
and at the gym at my work for about 4 years, which is basically dead except
for a weight watcher's class 3 days a week. Most days I'm the only one in
the free weight area.

I just joined 24hr fitness, and can't wait to get started. At home or work,
I usually wear long black Otomix pants, a Golds Gym sleeveless shirt and
black Reebok sneaks. Or Power Builder terry cloth like shorts (great to wipe
sweat) and a tank. The think is, now that I'm going to be in public, I don't
want to walk in there looking like a 'prick.' You guys know what I mean. I
don't want to come off as a muscle-head or a coordinating outfit butt of
people's jokes. I just want to be anonymous, lost in the crowd kind of
thing.

I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
Thanks.

03 Mar 2005 12:24:34
Peter Allen
Re: What to wear to the gym

"Greg R." <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've never posted here before. If this has been covered recently, I
> couldn't find it. I did a Google search and didn't find much. I'm in
> pretty good shape, and not vain at all. Shy in fact. I have been working
> out at home, and at the gym at my work for about 4 years, which is
> basically dead except for a weight watcher's class 3 days a week. Most
> days I'm the only one in the free weight area.
>
> I just joined 24hr fitness, and can't wait to get started. At home or
> work, I usually wear long black Otomix pants, a Golds Gym sleeveless shirt
> and black Reebok sneaks. Or Power Builder terry cloth like shorts (great
> to wipe sweat) and a tank. The think is, now that I'm going to be in
> public, I don't want to walk in there looking like a 'prick.' You guys
> know what I mean. I don't want to come off as a muscle-head or a
> coordinating outfit butt of people's jokes. I just want to be anonymous,
> lost in the crowd kind of thing.

What you usually wear sounds fine.

Really, no-one will care unless you either walk in looking like Ali G or you
wear clothes you haven't washed for a month. People will care a lot more if
you start being an asshole with what you're doing. Don't:

stand in the middle of the free weights area doing bicep curls facing the
mirror and stroking your arms lovingly.
bash weights about and make weird noises.
occupy equipment when you're not using it; if you want to take a long time
between sets let someone else work in.
get loads of sweat all over the place and not wipe it up.
piss off everyone by using a power cage for curls.
leave heavy weights on a bar for someone else to put away when you're done.

Peter

03 Mar 2005 04:52:37
gman99
Re: What to wear to the gym

Greg R. wrote:

Depends...if you're a girl in GOOD shape...as little as possible and as
tight fitting as possible. If your shape isn't that good the looser the
better. If you're male...who cares !

03 Mar 2005 08:41:26
Preacher
Re: What to wear to the gym

Peter Allen <[email protected] > wrote:

> What you usually wear sounds fine.
>
> Really, no-one will care unless you either walk in looking like Ali G or you
> wear clothes you haven't washed for a month. People will care a lot more if
> you start being an asshole with what you're doing. Don't:
>
> stand in the middle of the free weights area doing bicep curls facing the
> mirror and stroking your arms lovingly.
> bash weights about and make weird noises.
> occupy equipment when you're not using it; if you want to take a long time
> between sets let someone else work in.
> get loads of sweat all over the place and not wipe it up.
> piss off everyone by using a power cage for curls.
> leave heavy weights on a bar for someone else to put away when you're done.

There was a guy at our gym - only saw him once - who did nearly all of
the above in about 30 minutes. He seemed pretty strong, pushing large
amounts of weight, though his form on some of the exercises was awful.
But he made very loud noises when he lifted (grunting, shouting, and the
like) and clanged the weights against each other and on the ground. He
tried to occupy 3-4 weight areas at once (apparently he was doing some
sort of circuit training), even though the gym was full at about 5:30p,
and he had so many 45s on each bar/machine that someone would've had to
do a lot of work to work in with him. When a woman finally tried to, he
dismissed her and kept going about what he was doing.

A lot of people were looking at him after a while, but no one confronted
him. Most of the guys were just shaking their heads. He began shouting
at people he thought were looking at him. Finally, one of the trainers
went over to talk with him, and the guy started swearing at him and
berating him. Then he went back to "training". I was surprised when the
other trainers went and talked with the one who had confronted him, but
no one else talked to the guy.

I don't know what happened in the end, as we left, but I've never seen
that guy again. Presumably, they pulled his membership. Maybe they had
him forcibly removed as well.

Fwiw, he wore long pants and a sweater to work out in. So you might want
to avoid that look... :-)

03 Mar 2005 08:57:41
JWC
Re: What to wear to the gym

On 3 Mar 2005 04:52:37 -0800, "gman99" <[email protected] > wrote:

>Greg R. wrote:
>
>Depends...if you're a girl in GOOD shape...as little as possible and as
>tight fitting as possible. If your shape isn't that good the looser the
>better. If you're male...who cares !

I'd agree with this in general, though I'll also add that as a man,
you should avoid spandex or anything that has a spandex type fit.
I've seen guys in good and bad shape wearing spandex and it just
doesn't work under any circumstance.

Personally, I like lose fitting Under Armour shorts and T... or
anything else with moisture wicking properties (Nike drifit etc... all
make equivalents). They are light, comfortable and breathable.

http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/gear.asp?dept%5Fid=1

03 Mar 2005 12:04:24
Ed
Re: What to wear to the gym

Peter Allen wrote:

> What you usually wear sounds fine.
>
> Really, no-one will care unless you either walk in looking like Ali G or you
> wear clothes you haven't washed for a month. People will care a lot more if
> you start being an asshole with what you're doing. Don't:
>
> stand in the middle of the free weights area doing bicep curls facing the
> mirror and stroking your arms lovingly.
> bash weights about and make weird noises.
> occupy equipment when you're not using it; if you want to take a long time
> between sets let someone else work in.
> get loads of sweat all over the place and not wipe it up.
> piss off everyone by using a power cage for curls.
> leave heavy weights on a bar for someone else to put away when you're done.
>
> Peter

Wow. You must've been to my gym. All of the above applies on a daily
basis.

--
Ed
http://www.spweights.com

03 Mar 2005 15:57:32
Paul Mr.Wonderful Orndorff
Re: What to wear to the gym

"Greg R." <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've never posted here before. If this has been covered recently, I
> couldn't find it. I did a Google search and didn't find much. I'm in
> pretty good shape, and not vain at all. Shy in fact. I have been working
> out at home, and at the gym at my work for about 4 years, which is
> basically dead except for a weight watcher's class 3 days a week. Most
> days I'm the only one in the free weight area.
>
> I just joined 24hr fitness, and can't wait to get started. At home or
> work, I usually wear long black Otomix pants, a Golds Gym sleeveless shirt
> and black Reebok sneaks. Or Power Builder terry cloth like shorts (great
> to wipe sweat) and a tank. The think is, now that I'm going to be in
> public, I don't want to walk in there looking like a 'prick.' You guys
> know what I mean. I don't want to come off as a muscle-head or a
> coordinating outfit butt of people's jokes. I just want to be anonymous,
> lost in the crowd kind of thing.
>
> I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to
> say, but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a
> little bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and
> laughing. At least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to
> the gym? Thanks.

Just wear a thong and some black boots. Don't let society try and force you
into looking like everyone else. Be an individual. Will you get made fun of
for your revealing attire? Yes. Will your ass get slapped by rowdy men? Yes.
Will you sleep well at night knowing that you are a true individual and a
true free thinker? YES! If you are concerned about your package, do what I
do. Stuff a dill pickle down there to help accentuate your bulge.

03 Mar 2005 15:36:49
Bob Falooley
Re: What to wear to the gym

Greg R. wrote:
> I've never posted here before. If this has been covered recently, I couldn't
> find it. I did a Google search and didn't find much. I'm in pretty good
> shape, and not vain at all. Shy in fact. I have been working out at home,
> and at the gym at my work for about 4 years, which is basically dead except
> for a weight watcher's class 3 days a week. Most days I'm the only one in
> the free weight area.
>
> I just joined 24hr fitness, and can't wait to get started. At home or work,
> I usually wear long black Otomix pants, a Golds Gym sleeveless shirt and
> black Reebok sneaks. Or Power Builder terry cloth like shorts (great to wipe
> sweat) and a tank. The think is, now that I'm going to be in public, I don't
> want to walk in there looking like a 'prick.' You guys know what I mean. I
> don't want to come off as a muscle-head or a coordinating outfit butt of
> people's jokes. I just want to be anonymous, lost in the crowd kind of
> thing.
>
> I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
> but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
> bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
> least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
> Thanks.

Gym shorts, T-Shirt, Socks, and Sneakers. I like wearing my old gym
t-shirts with a squat bar stain across the shoulders, that says I mean
buisness more than a sleaveless shirt.

I have found that sleaves get in the way sometimes doing things like
cleans, jerks, military presses, and when I have a belt on. So I always
try to wear my old shirts so my new shirts don't get stretched out,
They need to be a little tight, and not have stains on them, to impress
the ladies when I am not in the gym.

--Falooley

03 Mar 2005 13:18:37
rick++
Re: What to wear to the gym

Amusingly there are "dress-code" gyms in some cities
so the muscle men dont intimdate the ladies,
ike Q-club or Curves.
Fortunately not every gym. Theres enough people
who pay for dress-code gyms to make them profitable.

04 Mar 2005 05:00:53
Blair P. Houghton
Re: What to wear to the gym

Greg R. <[email protected] > wrote:
>I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
>but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
>bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
>least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
>Thanks.

I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
pulled up, but that's about it.

The gym will be full of all sorts of people in all sorts
of outfits. Nobody gives a damn. Just don't grunt like
a girl tennis player when you're doing lat pulldowns.

--Blair
"That guy's getting on my nerves."

04 Mar 2005 00:13:30
Fred Lerner
Re: What to wear to the gym

"Greg R." <So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
> Thanks.

WEAR YOUR PANTIES, you freakin homo.

03 Mar 2005 23:20:20
John Hanson
Re: What to wear to the gym

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:00:53 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected] > wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>Greg R. <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
>>but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
>>bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
>>least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
>>Thanks.
>
>I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
>include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
>team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
>my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
>pulled up, but that's about it.

Figures...what a wuss.

>The gym will be full of all sorts of people in all sorts
>of outfits. Nobody gives a damn. Just don't grunt like
>a girl tennis player when you're doing lat pulldowns.

Chicks and fags wear outfits.

03 Mar 2005 23:31:32
John Hanson
Re: What to wear to the gym

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:36:49 -0500, Bob Falooley <[email protected] >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Greg R. wrote:
>> I've never posted here before. If this has been covered recently, I couldn't
>> find it. I did a Google search and didn't find much. I'm in pretty good
>> shape, and not vain at all. Shy in fact. I have been working out at home,
>> and at the gym at my work for about 4 years, which is basically dead except
>> for a weight watcher's class 3 days a week. Most days I'm the only one in
>> the free weight area.
>>
>> I just joined 24hr fitness, and can't wait to get started. At home or work,
>> I usually wear long black Otomix pants, a Golds Gym sleeveless shirt and
>> black Reebok sneaks. Or Power Builder terry cloth like shorts (great to wipe
>> sweat) and a tank. The think is, now that I'm going to be in public, I don't
>> want to walk in there looking like a 'prick.' You guys know what I mean. I
>> don't want to come off as a muscle-head or a coordinating outfit butt of
>> people's jokes. I just want to be anonymous, lost in the crowd kind of
>> thing.
>>
>> I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
>> but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
>> bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
>> least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
>> Thanks.
>>

>Gym shorts, T-Shirt, Socks, and Sneakers. I like wearing my old gym
>t-shirts with a squat bar stain across the shoulders, that says I mean
>buisness more than a sleaveless shirt.
>
>I have found that sleaves get in the way sometimes doing things like
>cleans, jerks, military presses, and when I have a belt on. So I always
>try to wear my old shirts so my new shirts don't get stretched out,
>They need to be a little tight, and not have stains on them, to impress
>the ladies when I am not in the gym.

We all wear meet T-shirts almost exclusively. We'll even have 3 or 4
people show up in the exact same meet shirt (which is pretty rare as
some guys show up with shirts from 1992 or older). The ones that
don't usually complain about not getting the memo.

04 Mar 2005 08:45:54
Charles
Re: What to wear to the gym

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:00:53 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected] > wrote:

>Greg R. <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
>>but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
>>bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
>>least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
>>Thanks.
>
>I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
>include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
>team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
>my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
>pulled up, but that's about it.

Aren't "bike shorts" somewhat immodest for a chap with a large
'lunch-box'? I wear rugby shorts over mine which protects my modesty,
while the "bike shorts" prevent people ogling my 'lunch-box' while I
am supine doing such things as abdom crunches! ;o)

Have a great weekend Blair - I intend to!! ;o)

TFIF!!

04 Mar 2005 15:56:47
Larisa
Re: What to wear to the gym

rick++ wrote:
> Amusingly there are "dress-code" gyms in some cities
> so the muscle men dont intimdate the ladies,
> ike Q-club or Curves.

Good heavens - and deprive us of the pleasure of ogling gorgeous
muscles?

LM (very glad my gym doesn't have such a policy)

06 Mar 2005 01:36:34
Poofter
Re: What to wear to the gym

Don't be such a homo and just go work-out you damned faggot

07 Mar 2005 00:29:25
John
Re: What to wear to the gym

"Greg R." <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've never posted here before. If this has been covered recently, I
couldn't
> find it. I did a Google search and didn't find much. I'm in pretty good
> shape, and not vain at all. Shy in fact. I have been working out at home,
> and at the gym at my work for about 4 years, which is basically dead
except
> for a weight watcher's class 3 days a week. Most days I'm the only one in
> the free weight area.
>
> I just joined 24hr fitness, and can't wait to get started. At home or
work,
> I usually wear long black Otomix pants, a Golds Gym sleeveless shirt and
> black Reebok sneaks. Or Power Builder terry cloth like shorts (great to
wipe
> sweat) and a tank. The think is, now that I'm going to be in public, I
don't
> want to walk in there looking like a 'prick.' You guys know what I mean. I
> don't want to come off as a muscle-head or a coordinating outfit butt of
> people's jokes. I just want to be anonymous, lost in the crowd kind of
> thing.
>
> I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to
say,
> but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a
little
> bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
> least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
> Thanks.

I think the first thing you should do is see a shrink. Go in wearing pink,
but walk around pumped up looking like you'd kick anyone's ass that called
you a fag.

06 Mar 2005 19:49:21
Jim
Re: What to wear to the gym

Black sweatpants and a wifebeater....all you need..
However...sweatpants can be too restricting..karate pants! and the new Nike
shoes

http://niketown.nike.com/niketown/catalog/pdp.jsp?productId=82005&productGroup=71460&categoryId=52719&navType=MSF_3_NIKE_FREE_5&_requestid=893431

Jim

07 Mar 2005 13:06:55
Re: What to wear to the gym

I recall
-you had to have sleeves on your shirt
-no lycra/stretch outer layer, for gals too
-no torn clothes
-no sandals, for safety

08 Mar 2005 06:04:08
Blair P. Houghton
Re: What to wear to the gym

Charles <[email protected] > wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:00:53 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
>>include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
>>team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
>>my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
>>pulled up, but that's about it.
>
>Aren't "bike shorts" somewhat immodest for a chap with a large
>'lunch-box'? I wear rugby shorts over mine which protects my modesty,
>while the "bike shorts" prevent people ogling my 'lunch-box' while I
>am supine doing such things as abdom crunches! ;o)

Ever noticed me to be the slightest bit modest?

>Have a great weekend Blair - I intend to!! ;o)

I'll send you pictures of my lunch-box and ruin your next one.

--Blair
"You should hear the chicks in
spin-class hoot when someone does
something impressive on the chinning
bar just outside the window..."

08 Mar 2005 09:16:28
Charles
Re: What to wear to the gym

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:04:08 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected] > wrote:

>Charles <[email protected]> wrote:
>>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:00:53 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
>>>include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
>>>team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
>>>my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
>>>pulled up, but that's about it.
>>
>>Aren't "bike shorts" somewhat immodest for a chap with a large
>>'lunch-box'? I wear rugby shorts over mine which protects my modesty,
>>while the "bike shorts" prevent people ogling my 'lunch-box' while I
>>am supine doing such things as abdom crunches! ;o)
>
>Ever noticed me to be the slightest bit modest?

It is not noticeably one of your redeeming features!!

>>Have a great weekend Blair - I intend to!! ;o)
>
>I'll send you pictures of my lunch-box and ruin your next one.

Don't bother, the induced thought alone has caused a temporary revolt
in the gastronomic process!!