06 Oct 2003 20:43:02
Arnold Thrust
Newbie question

I have decided that having just turned 40 its time i started looking
after myself a bit more ! I am relatively fit as a result of having a
physical job
I have recently purchased a multigym and some dumbells.. with a view
to shaping up ..ive already got rid of around 12lbs of extra fat by
altering my diet and cutting out the midweek beers..Still have a bit
of a tyre which doesn,t seem to want to shift ! (i am now 5'7 and
148lb)
I could do with some advice on how often i need to work out...i,m
currently doing abs daily, arms every other day ...plus 90 minute
sessions of an all over workout on the gym on Saturdays and
Wednesdays. Having read a few mags on the subject they all seem to be
pushing the high protein drinks etc as a post workout booster ? Are
these things necessary to maximise muscle growth and do they make as
much difference as the ads claim ??? Lastly (sorry to go on) does
anyone know of any useful sites to help me through the minefield of an
acceptable diet , given the training i,m doing, as i,m pretty sure i,m
not eating as many calories as i,m supposed to be ??

Thanks very much

Arnie

06 Oct 2003 17:20:39
Bob Garrison
Re: Newbie question

"Arnold Thrust" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have decided that having just turned 40 its time i started looking
> after myself a bit more ! I am relatively fit as a result of having a
> physical job
> I have recently purchased a multigym and some dumbells.. with a view
> to shaping up ..ive already got rid of around 12lbs of extra fat by
> altering my diet and cutting out the midweek beers..Still have a bit
> of a tyre which doesn,t seem to want to shift ! (i am now 5'7 and
> 148lb)
> I could do with some advice on how often i need to work out...i,m
> currently doing abs daily, arms every other day ...plus 90 minute
> sessions of an all over workout on the gym on Saturdays and
> Wednesdays. Having read a few mags on the subject they all seem to be
> pushing the high protein drinks etc as a post workout booster ? Are
> these things necessary to maximise muscle growth and do they make as
> much difference as the ads claim ??? Lastly (sorry to go on) does
> anyone know of any useful sites to help me through the minefield of an
> acceptable diet , given the training i,m doing, as i,m pretty sure i,m
> not eating as many calories as i,m supposed to be ??
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Arnie

Congrats Arnie!!

If you had checked with us first you would have been advised to stick with
free weights rather than a multigym which you will soon outgrow.

Below are some websites that will give you **all** the info you need.

As far as protein is concerned just make sure you get **at least** .8 grams
per pound of body weight. Use a supplement only if you're not getting enough
from the food you eat.... tuna is your friend.

You can easlily track your calories and nutrients with a free account at
www.fitday.com

In my opinion you are more likely to stick withyour program if you join a
gym.

As a newbie you would be best served by doing a full body workout 3x per
week on alternate days. DON'T NEGLECT YOUR LEGS. Squats are one of the very
best exercises you can do.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html(ignore emphasis on women)
http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/routines.html
http://www.stumptuous.com/program.html

07 Oct 2003 04:04:41
obc
Re: Newbie question

As a 38 yr old male who has been working out for over 20 yrs. regularly, I
would recommend taking it easy on your shoulders and chest workouts.
Shoulders are the first to go when you get older and they can go twice as
fast if your doing chest and shoulders 3x week. I would limit a
chest/shoulder workout to once a week until you build up some strength.
Get to a gym if possible. those home gyms store more laundry over time and
you have less distractions at a good gym. Remember to lift slow, slow ,
slow....... plenty of water and cut out the booze if you want results !
Good Luck and remember listen to those who have done it not those who think
they have !

JP
"Bob Garrison" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Arnold Thrust" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I have decided that having just turned 40 its time i started looking
> > after myself a bit more ! I am relatively fit as a result of having a
> > physical job
> > I have recently purchased a multigym and some dumbells.. with a view
> > to shaping up ..ive already got rid of around 12lbs of extra fat by
> > altering my diet and cutting out the midweek beers..Still have a bit
> > of a tyre which doesn,t seem to want to shift ! (i am now 5'7 and
> > 148lb)
> > I could do with some advice on how often i need to work out...i,m
> > currently doing abs daily, arms every other day ...plus 90 minute
> > sessions of an all over workout on the gym on Saturdays and
> > Wednesdays. Having read a few mags on the subject they all seem to be
> > pushing the high protein drinks etc as a post workout booster ? Are
> > these things necessary to maximise muscle growth and do they make as
> > much difference as the ads claim ??? Lastly (sorry to go on) does
> > anyone know of any useful sites to help me through the minefield of an
> > acceptable diet , given the training i,m doing, as i,m pretty sure i,m
> > not eating as many calories as i,m supposed to be ??
> >
> > Thanks very much
> >
> > Arnie
> >

> Congrats Arnie!!
>
> If you had checked with us first you would have been advised to stick with
> free weights rather than a multigym which you will soon outgrow.
>
> Below are some websites that will give you **all** the info you need.
>
> As far as protein is concerned just make sure you get **at least** .8
grams
> per pound of body weight. Use a supplement only if you're not getting
enough
> from the food you eat.... tuna is your friend.
>
> You can easlily track your calories and nutrients with a free account at
> www.fitday.com
>
> In my opinion you are more likely to stick withyour program if you join a
> gym.
>
> As a newbie you would be best served by doing a full body workout 3x per
> week on alternate days. DON'T NEGLECT YOUR LEGS. Squats are one of the
very
> best exercises you can do.
>

> http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
> http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html(ignore emphasis on women)
> http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/routines.html
> http://www.stumptuous.com/program.html

07 Oct 2003 08:11:59
Bob Garrison
Re: Newbie question

"obc" <[email protected] > wrote in message
> Remember to lift slow, slow ,
> slow.......

Why "slow, slow, slow"?

Ask about Super Slow training it at misc.fitness.weights and you will find
people there think it's crap and it is Super Stupid training, not Super
Slow.

07 Oct 2003 08:16:16
Bob Garrison
Re: Newbie question

"obc" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> As a 38 yr old male who has been working out for over 20 yrs. regularly,
> would recommend taking it easy on your shoulders and chest workouts.
> Shoulders are the first to go when you get older and they can go twice as
> fast if your doing chest and shoulders 3x week. I would limit a
> chest/shoulder workout to once a week until you build up some strength.

3x per week is fine if he stays in the 12-15 rep range for the first couple
of months.

07 Oct 2003 13:46:11
obc
Re: Newbie question

slow builds strength and makes it easier on your joints as you get older.
Using momentum builds nothing. That is why you see the same people in the
gym and year after year they look the same. This is not FITNESS this is
bodybuilding !!!!! Fitness is for the cardio minded person (mostly
women)......... Do what works for you but my physic speaks for
itself....5'11 195lbs. 7% bodyfat. 32 waist 46 chest........ and my joints
don't hurt. That's somewhat important in training with real weights !

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "obc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Remember to lift slow, slow ,
> > slow.......
>
> Why "slow, slow, slow"?
>
> Ask about Super Slow training it at misc.fitness.weights and you will find
> people there think it's crap and it is Super Stupid training, not Super
> Slow.

07 Oct 2003 13:48:31
obc
Re: Newbie question

That's to much on your shoulders unless your lifting 5 lb dumbbells ! The
goal is to BUILD muscle not tear it down....... That is what taking all the
protein is for, to build and allow time to recover. You only BUILD muscle
when you are recovering (time off).......

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "obc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > As a 38 yr old male who has been working out for over 20 yrs.
regularly,
> > would recommend taking it easy on your shoulders and chest workouts.
> > Shoulders are the first to go when you get older and they can go twice
as
> > fast if your doing chest and shoulders 3x week. I would limit a
> > chest/shoulder workout to once a week until you build up some strength.
>
> 3x per week is fine if he stays in the 12-15 rep range for the first
couple
> of months.

07 Oct 2003 11:55:02
Bob Garrison
Re: Newbie question

"obc" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> slow builds strength

No. Heavy weight builds strength.
and makes it easier on your joints as you get older.
> Using momentum builds nothing.

There is a middle ground between slow and momentum.

Quit top posting!

That is why you see the same people in the
> gym and year after year they look the same. This is not FITNESS this is
> bodybuilding !!!!! Fitness is for the cardio minded person (mostly
> women)......... Do what works for you but my physic speaks for
> itself....5'11 195lbs. 7% bodyfat. 32 waist 46 chest........ and my
joints
> don't hurt. That's somewhat important in training with real weights !
>
> "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "obc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Remember to lift slow, slow ,
> > > slow.......
> >
> > Why "slow, slow, slow"?
> >
> > Ask about Super Slow training it at misc.fitness.weights and you will
find
> > people there think it's crap and it is Super Stupid training, not Super
> > Slow.

07 Oct 2003 11:57:54
Bob Garrison
Re: Newbie question

"obc" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> That's to much on your shoulders unless your lifting 5 lb dumbbells !

My experience says otherwise and I'm 61!

The
> goal is to BUILD muscle not tear it down....... That is what taking all
the
> protein is for, to build and allow time to recover. You only BUILD muscle
> when you are recovering (time off).......

I agree you build muscle during recovery. Where we differ is in the amount
of recovery time needed. The bottom line is it's an individual thing.

> "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "obc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > As a 38 yr old male who has been working out for over 20 yrs.
> regularly,
> > > would recommend taking it easy on your shoulders and chest workouts.
> > > Shoulders are the first to go when you get older and they can go twice
> as
> > > fast if your doing chest and shoulders 3x week. I would limit a
> > > chest/shoulder workout to once a week until you build up some
strength.

> > 3x per week is fine if he stays in the 12-15 rep range for the first
> couple
> > of months.

08 Oct 2003 12:27:32
obc
Re: Newbie question

OK Pops ! You stubborn old Fart !!!
www.geezerworkouts.com

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "obc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > That's to much on your shoulders unless your lifting 5 lb dumbbells !
>
> My experience says otherwise and I'm 61!
>

> The
> > goal is to BUILD muscle not tear it down....... That is what taking all
> the
> > protein is for, to build and allow time to recover. You only BUILD
muscle
> > when you are recovering (time off).......
>

> I agree you build muscle during recovery. Where we differ is in the amount
> of recovery time needed. The bottom line is it's an individual thing.
>

> > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > >
> > > "obc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]
> > regularly,
> > as
> strength.
> > >
> > > 3x per week is fine if he stays in the 12-15 rep range for the first
> > couple
> > > of months.

08 Oct 2003 09:02:44
Bob Garrison
Re: Newbie question

"obc" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> OK Pops ! You stubborn old Fart !!!
> www.geezerworkouts.com

www.young-fucktard-workouts.com