20 Sep 2004 20:48:28
Dave S
Carb Question

Hello all,

I'm trying to bulk up and gain weight and I'm at a bit of a stand still.
I'm 6'1" 185lbs and have been at 185 for a while now. I work out 5 days a
week and have a very fast metabolism. I take in about 200-250 grams of
protein a day between eggs chicken beef and protein drinks (Extreme body
RTD50 and Pro Complex). I don't eat much carbs, couple slices of bread in
the morning and the bun that a burger or roast beef comes on at lunch. I was
talking to someone the other day and they said I need to really increase my
carb intake by eating rice, potatoes and maybe a supplement like Glycoload.
They say I should have 2:1 carb:bodyweight intake ratio. I've always thought
you were suppose to limit your carbs to avoid getting fatty but was thinking
about increasing them in the morning and afternoon and laying off them
towards the evening. I'd like to get to 205-220lbs eventually. Any thoughts
on this theory or suggestions? Any other good foods or supplements anyone
can suggest?

Thanks

21 Sep 2004 13:42:08
Bob Garrison
Re: Carb Question

"Dave S" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to bulk up and gain weight and I'm at a bit of a stand
still.
> I'm 6'1" 185lbs and have been at 185 for a while now. I work out 5 days a
> week and have a very fast metabolism. I take in about 200-250 grams of
> protein a day between eggs chicken beef and protein drinks (Extreme body
> RTD50 and Pro Complex). I don't eat much carbs, couple slices of bread in
> the morning and the bun that a burger or roast beef comes on at lunch. I
was
> talking to someone the other day and they said I need to really increase
my
> carb intake by eating rice, potatoes and maybe a supplement like
Glycoload.
> They say I should have 2:1 carb:bodyweight intake ratio. I've always
thought
> you were suppose to limit your carbs to avoid getting fatty but was
thinking
> about increasing them in the morning and afternoon and laying off them
> towards the evening. I'd like to get to 205-220lbs eventually. Any
thoughts
> on this theory or suggestions? Any other good foods or supplements anyone
> can suggest?
>
> Thanks

Unless you're a newbie, if you're going to bulk up you need to accept that
fact that you will gain fat as well as muscle. Bulking is all about
calories. It doesn't matter where they come from. You need to go on a "see
food" diet. Eat plenty of calorie rich foods like peanut butter, whole milk
and starches. Enjoy the freedom to pig out. When you have more fat than
you're comfortable with it's time to start cutting.

23 Sep 2004 03:25:08
Blair P. Houghton
Re: Carb Question

Dave S <[email protected] > wrote:
>Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to bulk up and gain weight and I'm at a bit of a stand still.
>I'm 6'1" 185lbs and have been at 185 for a while now. I work out 5 days a
>week and have a very fast metabolism. I take in about 200-250 grams of
>protein a day between eggs chicken beef and protein drinks (Extreme body
>RTD50 and Pro Complex). I don't eat much carbs, couple slices of bread in
>the morning and the bun that a burger or roast beef comes on at lunch. I was
>talking to someone the other day and they said I need to really increase my
>carb intake by eating rice, potatoes and maybe a supplement like Glycoload.
>They say I should have 2:1 carb:bodyweight intake ratio. I've always thought
>you were suppose to limit your carbs to avoid getting fatty but was thinking
>about increasing them in the morning and afternoon and laying off them
>towards the evening. I'd like to get to 205-220lbs eventually. Any thoughts
>on this theory or suggestions? Any other good foods or supplements anyone
>can suggest?

Simple fact: Lifting the same weight every day will make
your muscle harder, but not much bigger. It's getting
stronger that adds mass. And stronger doing controlled
motion; punchy, cheating motions that help you jerk an
extra few pounds aren't the same thing.

But you can't gain any weight if you don't overload your
system with food.

Muscles burn carbs and build themselves out of protein.

You need to keep your muscles fed with carbs to make their
job as simple as possible, so they don't start burning other
things. This means fat goes to your fat cells.

Your protein load is about right, but you want a lot of
those protein grams to become muscle, not energy.

So you need most of your fuel calories (BMR + nominal
activity + exercise) to come from carbs and fat.

Don't limit your carbs while building muscle; use the
excess energy to help you increase the weights you're
lifting.

Also, if you're working 5 days a week, you should be doing
major muscle groups on alternate days, or your muscles
won't have time to rebuild and grow (you probably know this,
but just in case...).

--Blair
"Let's see where I got it wrong..."

23 Sep 2004 03:31:00
Blair P. Houghton
Re: Carb Question

Bob Garrison <[email protected] > wrote:
>Unless you're a newbie, if you're going to bulk up you need to accept that
>fact that you will gain fat as well as muscle. Bulking is all about
>calories. It doesn't matter where they come from.

Almost. You need to discount much of the protein you
eat, because it will be going into muscle production,
if you're doing it right (though I can't find *anywhere*
any info on how efficient this process is...in humans;
there's plenty of info if you're an adolescent pig...).

Replacing your daily exercise calorie output with carbs
is the best thing (but good luck guessing how much that
is...500-1000 cals/hour depending on whether you're a
middling weightlifter or you throw the big iron around),
then you can ignore categorizations and just worry about
whether your carbs are simple or complex, or your fats
are saturated or unsaturated.

>You need to go on a "see
>food" diet. Eat plenty of calorie rich foods like peanut butter, whole milk
>and starches. Enjoy the freedom to pig out. When you have more fat than
>you're comfortable with it's time to start cutting.

You can't gain efficiently while you're ripped, but you
don't have to get pudgy.

--Blair
"Problems I wish I had."