03 Oct 2003 06:50:22
Howard Garland
Building Muscle at 57

Hey folks,

I'm new to this group, so let me introduce myself before I pose my
question. After being a fat kid and a slim, but weak dude from age 15
thru my early 40's, I began a regular program of aerobics and
weightlifting. For the first 10 years, what I enjoyed about working out
was the feeling that I got after completing my daily exercise routine.
Then, in my early 50's, something changed and I began to really enjoy
exercise itself. In fact, working out became an addiction.

Three years ago, at age 54, I was walking on the treadmill for 75
minutes each morning (3.5 mph - can't run) 7 days/week. I was also
going to the gym 4 afternoons each weak, where I would spend 2hrs
lifting weights in each session. Although I was in good shape for a 54yr
old and I really enjoyed all this working out, I realized that I had not
actually made any gains in strength or muscle for a long time.

About a year ago, I began a new routine suggested by Dave Picard, called
"Boybuilding for Real People". According to Picard's guidelines, I was
overtraining big time. The routine he suggests involves weightraining
of related muscle groups for no more than 30 minutes on alternating days
as follows:

Chest and Triceps
Rest
Quads and Hamstrings
Rest
Back and Biceps
Rest
Calves and Shoulders
Rest

After some warmup and pre-exhaustion, you work only one heavy set of
each exercise to failure - followed by a drop set on some exercises.

He also recommends little to no cardio.

I started doing this routine about a year ago, cutting down dramatically
on my weightlifting time and cutting my cardio almost in half (I still
do about 40 min on the treadmill 7 days/week, cause I hate dieting and I
don't want to get fat).

Although I have made some slow gains in strength and muscle, I would
really like to get bigger and stronger, without adding any more body
fat. I am 5'11", weigh about 182, chest 42.5, waist 34, arms 14.5,
thighs 21.5, calves 15.5. My routine consists of:

Dumbell flys to failure straight into presses (Max 60lb dumbells flat -
55 incline on alternating weeks). Followed by tricep machine (80 lbs max
followed by immediate drop to 40 lbs).

Rest

Lying hamstring curl machine (hate this one) (Max 100lb followed by
immediate drop to 50 lbs). Leg extension followed by leg press machine
(Max about 420 lbs).

Rest

Lat Pulldown (Max 100 lbs - lousy machine at my little gym).
Row machine (Max 170 lbs)
Shrugs (Max 200 lbs)
Barbell Curls (Max 80 lbs, drop to 30 lbs)

Rest

Calf presses on leg press machine (Max 500 lbs).
Lateral Raises (Max 20 lb dumbells) followed immediately by dumbell
shoulder presses (Arnold style - Max 35 lb dumbells).
Bent over laterals (Max 15 lb dumbells)

As I stated above, I still do about 40min on the treadmill every day.

So what can I do at age 57 to get bigger/better?

Sorry for the long post guys.

Howard

03 Oct 2003 08:17:48
Bob Garrison
Re: Building Muscle at 57

"Howard Garland" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> followed by immediate drop to 40 lbs).
>
> Rest
>
> Lying hamstring curl machine (hate this one) (Max 100lb followed by
> immediate drop to 50 lbs). Leg extension followed by leg press machine
> (Max about 420 lbs).
>
> Rest
>
> Lat Pulldown (Max 100 lbs - lousy machine at my little gym).
> Row machine (Max 170 lbs)
> Shrugs (Max 200 lbs)
> Barbell Curls (Max 80 lbs, drop to 30 lbs)
>
> Rest
>
> Calf presses on leg press machine (Max 500 lbs).
> Lateral Raises (Max 20 lb dumbells) followed immediately by dumbell
> shoulder presses (Arnold style - Max 35 lb dumbells).
> Bent over laterals (Max 15 lb dumbells)
>
> As I stated above, I still do about 40min on the treadmill every day.
>
> So what can I do at age 57 to get bigger/better?

1. Reduce cardio to 20 minutes (done after weights)

2. Eat more

3. Do squats

4. Replace flys with barbell bench presses

5. Check out
MAX-OT training
http://www.ast-ss.com/
or HST
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

6. Forget about getting bigger, without adding fat. If you want to get
bigger you need to accept that you will also gain some fat. So first you
bulk then you cut.