02 May 2006 09:54:50
Greg
what kind of scope do you recommend?

I've bought a Gamo and am very happy with it. However, I realize that
my eyes aren't the same as they used to be, and would like to purchase
a scope in order to hunt squirrels.

Which kind do you recommend? how powerful do I need and do the standard
scope mounts work for air guns.

Any help will be appreciated.

02 May 2006 19:29:27
Jim
Re: what kind of scope do you recommend?

Greg wrote:
> I've bought a Gamo and am very happy with it. However, I realize that
> my eyes aren't the same as they used to be, and would like to purchase
> a scope in order to hunt squirrels.
>
> Which kind do you recommend? how powerful do I need and do the standard
> scope mounts work for air guns.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

no more than 4x for ranges up to 100m. Anything above that is overkill
unless you want to part hairs. If it's a compact rifle, go with a
compact scope - nothing worse than a full size scope that weighs more
than the rifle pulling the shot. A 4x32 compact or a 4x15 or 4x20 would
do fine.

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

02 May 2006 20:45:37
John

On 2 May 2006 09:54:50 -0700, "Greg" <[email protected] > wrote:

>I've bought a Gamo and am very happy with it. However, I realize that
>my eyes aren't the same as they used to be, and would like to purchase
>a scope in order to hunt squirrels.
>
>Which kind do you recommend? how powerful do I need and do the standard
>scope mounts work for air guns.
>
>Any help will be appreciated.

I went for a set of 6 x 40s.
I tried a 4 x 20 but, while the magnification is fine, the amount of
light getting in just wasn't enough. The big number 40 lets in enough
to make things bright and clear for these tired eyes.

02 May 2006 17:25:51
Rex B

Greg wrote:
> I've bought a Gamo and am very happy with it. However, I realize that
> my eyes aren't the same as they used to be, and would like to purchase
> a scope in order to hunt squirrels.
>
> Which kind do you recommend? how powerful do I need and do the standard
> scope mounts work for air guns.

Whatever you do, make sure it's rate for an airgun. Assuming yours is a
springer, the recoil is a much different animal than the powder burners
produce, and will destroy a scope that is not up to it.
If you want a cheap one to evaluate, Wal-Mart carries one for about
$30. Good ones will cost as much or more as a good centerfire hunting scope.

Couple of alternatives for older eyes include red-dot scopes, and
receiver/aperture sights.

03 May 2006 12:38:49
Rex B

Rex B wrote:

> Greg wrote:
>> I've bought a Gamo and am very happy with it. However, I realize that
>> my eyes aren't the same as they used to be, and would like to purchase
>> a scope in order to hunt squirrels.
>>
>> Which kind do you recommend? how powerful do I need and do the standard
>> scope mounts work for air guns.
>
> Whatever you do, make sure it's rate for an airgun. Assuming yours is a
> springer, the recoil is a much different animal than the powder burners
> produce, and will destroy a scope that is not up to it.
> If you want a cheap one to evaluate, Wal-Mart carries one for about
> $30. Good ones will cost as much or more as a good centerfire hunting
> scope.
>
> Couple of alternatives for older eyes include red-dot scopes, and
> receiver/aperture sights.

Also, scope-mounts: That recoil also causes the scope to creep backwards
down the dovetail. You either need extremely good airgun-$pecific rings,
or a scope-stop at the end of the dovetail. You might get away with a
fastener upgrade and red Loctite.

03 May 2006 20:09:21
Greg
Re: what kind of scope do you recommend?

Thank you for your reply, I really didn't know what to do. I just got
a catalog which shows scopes that look soooo beautiful and are as you
said "overkill"

Thanks again

Greg

03 May 2006 20:13:32
Greg
Re: what kind of scope do you recommend?

I forgot about that. I bought (years ago) really good Steiner
Binoculars with large light gathering capability, What a difference.

Greg

03 May 2006 20:15:39
Greg
Re: what kind of scope do you recommend?

Will the scopes say if it's rated for air guns?

Greg

03 May 2006 20:18:48
Greg
Re: what kind of scope do you recommend?

My Gamo has a scope stop just for that problem. So scope mounts for air
guns are differnt than other guns?

04 May 2006 10:59:18
John

On 3 May 2006 20:15:39 -0700, "Greg" <[email protected] > wrote:

>Will the scopes say if it's rated for air guns?
>
>Greg

They should, and clearly,' scopes suitable for a rifle or a gas gun
are different to those for a springer - there's a lot of movement
going on with these things.
If you're looking at a product and it doesn't state it's for an
airgun, ask.

04 May 2006 08:27:51
Rex B

Greg wrote:
> My Gamo has a scope stop just for that problem. So scope mounts for air
> guns are different than other guns?

The mounts aren't necessarily different. Some are simply made stronger
so you can tighten them down enough to stop scope creep without
stripping the threads. So regular 1" rings to fit a 3/8" dovetail would
work fine in your case. But most of the low-end airgun scopes come
with them. The higher priced ones often do not.

04 May 2006 16:44:16
Greg

John wrote:
> On 3 May 2006 20:15:39 -0700, "Greg" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Will the scopes say if it's rated for air guns?
> >
> >Greg
> >
> They should, and clearly,' scopes suitable for a rifle or a gas gun
> are different to those for a springer - there's a lot of movement
> going on with these things.
> If you're looking at a product and it doesn't state it's for an
> airgun, ask.

I see what you mean. I'm glad that I opted to not buy the Gamo with a
scope. But there are a lot of options for sure.