08 Oct 2006 21:32:54
skeezics
red dot mounting q.

picked up this scope on a whim at wallyworld the other day and it
seems i messed up. tried to put it on my beeman p1 and it doesn't fit!
oops... the rail on the gun is too narrow. is there an accessory i can
get or do i need to hunt through the trash for the reciept?

thanks' skeez


10 Oct 2006 02:34:32
Alf Sauve
Re: red dot mounting q.

B-Square and others make a 11mm to Weaver adapter. Around $40=$50

One example see,

http://pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/accessory.pl?accessory_id=601

I think it's sort of a kluge. You'd be better off to just get the right
reddot, since the BSA reddot is only $40.

Alf


"skeezics" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> picked up this scope on a whim at wallyworld the other day and it
> seems i messed up. tried to put it on my beeman p1 and it doesn't fit!
> oops... the rail on the gun is too narrow. is there an accessory i can
> get or do i need to hunt through the trash for the reciept?
>
> thanks' skeez




11 Oct 2006 00:14:19
skeezics
Re: red dot mounting q.

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 02:34:32 GMT, "Alf Sauve" <[email protected] > wrote:

>B-Square and others make a 11mm to Weaver adapter. Around $40=$50
>
>One example see,
>
>http://pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/accessory.pl?accessory_id=601
>
>I think it's sort of a kluge. You'd be better off to just get the right
>reddot, since the BSA reddot is only $40.
>
>Alf
>
yeh i heard that! nothin like putin a 30 dollar scope on 30 dollar
mounts. lol... i found the reciept yesterday and returned the scope.
the couple places i went didnt have the right one so... ill get one
later. no rush. the p 1 is great fun with or without a scope

skeez


>
>"skeezics" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> picked up this scope on a whim at wallyworld the other day and it
>> seems i messed up. tried to put it on my beeman p1 and it doesn't fit!
>> oops... the rail on the gun is too narrow. is there an accessory i can
>> get or do i need to hunt through the trash for the reciept?
>>
>> thanks' skeez
>



11 Oct 2006 10:39:28
Will
Re: red dot mounting q.

General question about red-dot and similar sights on airguns:

We always read that spring-piston airguns can destroy a scope that
works OK on .22s and other rifles, due to the peculiar nature of
the back-and-forth vibration of the airgun discharge. Does this
also apply to red-dot type sights, Aimpoint, ACOG, etc. models?

Or are the parts of such sights small enough that they don't
have the inertia that would cause glass lenses and scope internal parts
to break free of their mountings?

Would they lose battery contact upon the discharge impact, or would
that totally depend on the physical configuration of the particular
sight, if the battery is vertical or horizontal, etc.?

Will



11 Oct 2006 23:16:55
Arthur Dent
Re: red dot mounting q.

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:39:28 -0700, Will wrote:

> General question about red-dot and similar sights on airguns:
>
> We always read that spring-piston airguns can destroy a scope that works
> OK on .22s and other rifles, due to the peculiar nature of the
> back-and-forth vibration of the airgun discharge. Does this also apply to
> red-dot type sights, Aimpoint, ACOG, etc. models?
>
> Or are the parts of such sights small enough that they don't
> have the inertia that would cause glass lenses and scope internal parts to
> break free of their mountings?
>
> Would they lose battery contact upon the discharge impact, or would that
> totally depend on the physical configuration of the particular sight, if
> the battery is vertical or horizontal, etc.?

I can't see where any spring-piston airgun would be any worse than a
semi-auto rifle with a scope.

They put Red-Dots on big bore pistols. Unless you buy a cheap piece of
crap you should be OK.

--
Vote "Yes" for post-natal abortions for
spammers "Israel Fagbemi" and "Stephen Ducharme"
and their "affiliates".
Anti-MAF spammer ID: PhuQbuttwipes00000001


12 Oct 2006 02:19:50
Alf Sauve
Re: red dot mounting q.

Actually, yes, some spring piston guns are a lot worse than most firearms on
scopes.

If you check some of the archives of the airgun forums you'll see only
certain scopes are warranted for the "hard hitting" airguns, like the R-1 or
the Tomahawk or the RWSS48.

First hand experience, I had a Tasco 3-9x on a Mini-30 for at least 500
rounds......no problems. I put it on an R-1 and it folded within the first
25 rounds.

Alf

"Arthur Dent" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I can't see where any spring-piston airgun would be any worse than a
> semi-auto rifle with a scope.




11 Oct 2006 22:45:53
x
Correct...

The unique recoil of a spring piston gun will destroy regular firearm scopes
that are armored for rearward recoil. Only those that are braced for both
forward and rearward recoil will survive on spring piston airguns.

Even with those, some are ok for mild springers such as the TX200 and R7 and
others are better for hard hitting springers such as the Tomahawk.

The Bushnell Legend series are springer rated. I have one on a RWS54 right
now that has survived for a long time. Many of the Leapers brand scopes are
springer rated. I've got several of those, one on a .25 Tomahawk that has
lasted, although the first Leapers I put on it was destroyed within 50
shots.

I've never heard good things about red dots on high recoil springers, but I
know of some that have used them on lower powered springers with good
results.


"Alf Sauve" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Actually, yes, some spring piston guns are a lot worse than most firearms
> on scopes.
>
> If you check some of the archives of the airgun forums you'll see only
> certain scopes are warranted for the "hard hitting" airguns, like the R-1
> or the Tomahawk or the RWSS48.
>
> First hand experience, I had a Tasco 3-9x on a Mini-30 for at least 500
> rounds......no problems. I put it on an R-1 and it folded within the
> first 25 rounds.
>
> Alf
>
> "Arthur Dent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> I can't see where any spring-piston airgun would be any worse than a
>> semi-auto rifle with a scope.
>
>




12 Oct 2006 12:21:57
Arthur Dent
Re: red dot mounting q.

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:19:50 +0000, Alf Sauve wrote:

> Actually, yes, some spring piston guns are a lot worse than most firearms
> on scopes.
>
> If you check some of the archives of the airgun forums you'll see only
> certain scopes are warranted for the "hard hitting" airguns, like the R-1
> or the Tomahawk or the RWSS48.
>
> First hand experience, I had a Tasco 3-9x on a Mini-30 for at least 500
> rounds......no problems. I put it on an R-1 and it folded within the
> first 25 rounds.

Interesting. In that case, I'll defer to experience.

--
Vote "Yes" for post-natal abortions for
spammers "Israel Fagbemi" and "Stephen Ducharme"
and their "affiliates".
Anti-MAF spammer ID: PhuQbuttwipes00000001


28 Oct 2006 00:39:53
Alfred Brown
Re: red dot mounting q.


"Arthur Dent" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:19:50 +0000, Alf Sauve wrote:
>
>> Actually, yes, some spring piston guns are a lot worse than most firearms
>> on scopes.
>>
>> If you check some of the archives of the airgun forums you'll see only
>> certain scopes are warranted for the "hard hitting" airguns, like the R-1
>> or the Tomahawk or the RWSS48.
>>
>> First hand experience, I had a Tasco 3-9x on a Mini-30 for at least 500
>> rounds......no problems. I put it on an R-1 and it folded within the
>> first 25 rounds.
>
> Interesting. In that case, I'll defer to experience.
>
> --
> Vote "Yes" for post-natal abortions for
> spammers "Israel Fagbemi" and "Stephen Ducharme"
> and their "affiliates".
> Anti-MAF spammer ID: PhuQbuttwipes00000001

One thing to note is the scopes are destroyed by the unique back and forth recoil of
the springer mechanism.
But this only goes for springers. A single-pump pneumatic, like a P-3 or a Avanti
747 would not have this recoil. Neither would a PCP or a regular pneumatic like a
Benjamin or Sheridan, or a Crossman 1377.
Al in Birmingham AL (USA)




01 Nov 2006 18:25:03
number 9
Re: red dot mounting q.


How about a Gamo 1000 ?
I put a .22 LR Bushnell Scope on mine.
(cock the barrel once).

Getting som excellent groups.

H.

"Alfred Brown" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Arthur Dent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:19:50 +0000, Alf Sauve wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, yes, some spring piston guns are a lot worse than most
firearms
> >> on scopes.
> >>
> >> If you check some of the archives of the airgun forums you'll see only
> >> certain scopes are warranted for the "hard hitting" airguns, like the
R-1
> >> or the Tomahawk or the RWSS48.
> >>
> >> First hand experience, I had a Tasco 3-9x on a Mini-30 for at least 500
> >> rounds......no problems. I put it on an R-1 and it folded within the
> >> first 25 rounds.
> >
> > Interesting. In that case, I'll defer to experience.
> >
> > --
> > Vote "Yes" for post-natal abortions for
> > spammers "Israel Fagbemi" and "Stephen Ducharme"
> > and their "affiliates".
> > Anti-MAF spammer ID: PhuQbuttwipes00000001
>
> One thing to note is the scopes are destroyed by the unique back and forth
recoil of
> the springer mechanism.
> But this only goes for springers. A single-pump pneumatic, like a P-3 or
a Avanti
> 747 would not have this recoil. Neither would a PCP or a regular
pneumatic like a
> Benjamin or Sheridan, or a Crossman 1377.
> Al in Birmingham AL (USA)
>
>




01 Nov 2006 22:32:15
Rex B
Re: red dot mounting q.

number 9 wrote:
> How about a Gamo 1000 ?
> I put a .22 LR Bushnell Scope on mine.
> (cock the barrel once).

My money is on the springer outlasting the scope.
In fact, the current box of pellets may outlast the scope.


02 Nov 2006 00:28:51
number 9
Re: red dot mounting q.

Uff Da... That does not sound good!
Fotunately the scope is refurbished and
I got it for $25.

I'll keep you posted as I keep digging
through the pellet box. Do you think
that perhaps a "regular" scope would do?

I would think some of the "big" guns
would shake the heck out of a scope???

"Rex B" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> number 9 wrote:
> > How about a Gamo 1000 ?
> > I put a .22 LR Bushnell Scope on mine.
> > (cock the barrel once).
>
> My money is on the springer outlasting the scope.
> In fact, the current box of pellets may outlast the scope.




02 Nov 2006 14:30:27
Rex B
Re: red dot mounting q.

number 9 wrote:
> Uff Da... That does not sound good!
> Fotunately the scope is refurbished and
> I got it for $25.
>
> I'll keep you posted as I keep digging
> through the pellet box. Do you think
> that perhaps a "regular" scope would do?
>
> I would think some of the "big" guns
> would shake the heck out of a scope???

It's not just the amount of recoil, it's the direction and the fact it
reverses. You have the initial backward recoil, followed immediately by
sharp forward pulse. Standard scopes are reinforced to take the normal
recoil, but are not designed to resist the forward force.
In essence, the optics and reticle in a normal scope is sitting in a
cup that is open toward the front. As long as the recoil pushes back,
all is fine as the optics are just pushed into their seats/cups. But
push them the other way and they fall out. A scope made for springers
has a "lid" on the cup.

> "Rex B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> number 9 wrote:
>>> How about a Gamo 1000 ?
>>> I put a .22 LR Bushnell Scope on mine.
>>> (cock the barrel once).
>> My money is on the springer outlasting the scope.
>> In fact, the current box of pellets may outlast the scope.
>
>


02 Nov 2006 15:43:27
number 9
Re: red dot mounting q.

Very educational, thank you!

I didn't catch the earlier part of the string that
talked about Red-Dot's. I got a Bushnell Trophy
on my .22LR Browning, would that stand up to
the "abuse"?

Harald.

"Rex B" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> number 9 wrote:
> > Uff Da... That does not sound good!
> > Fotunately the scope is refurbished and
> > I got it for $25.
> >
> > I'll keep you posted as I keep digging
> > through the pellet box. Do you think
> > that perhaps a "regular" scope would do?
> >
> > I would think some of the "big" guns
> > would shake the heck out of a scope???
>
> It's not just the amount of recoil, it's the direction and the fact it
> reverses. You have the initial backward recoil, followed immediately by
> sharp forward pulse. Standard scopes are reinforced to take the normal
> recoil, but are not designed to resist the forward force.
> In essence, the optics and reticle in a normal scope is sitting in a
> cup that is open toward the front. As long as the recoil pushes back,
> all is fine as the optics are just pushed into their seats/cups. But
> push them the other way and they fall out. A scope made for springers
> has a "lid" on the cup.
>
> > "Rex B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> number 9 wrote:
> >>> How about a Gamo 1000 ?
> >>> I put a .22 LR Bushnell Scope on mine.
> >>> (cock the barrel once).
> >> My money is on the springer outlasting the scope.
> >> In fact, the current box of pellets may outlast the scope.
> >
> >