05 May 2005 17:37:46
Jeff Dantzler
Scope mount for RX-2?

I recently bought a Beeman RX-2 in .20 and have been enjoying
shooting it with iron sights.

I would eventually like to scope it and my choice of scope
will likely be the Weaver V-16.

As far as mounts, I have heard that this gun can be pretty
rough on scopes. I have narrowed it down to the beeman one
piece mount (5040) and the beeman dampa mount (5096).

Would the 5040 be sufficient?

Does accuracy suffer from the rubber mounting system of the
dampa mount?

Thanks.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA

30 Aug 2005 02:30:10
Michael Gresham
Re: Scope mount for RX-2?

Jeff,

I can't speak to the specific mounts you mention. However, I can relate
what I know about the RX-2 and scopes.

One of the guys in our group (there are 5) has a .17 RX-2. He uses a
Simmons Aetec 3.8-12X44 illuminated reticle scope. I must admit to a bias
for this scope as I also use one on my rifle. Anyway, several scopes (BSA
and Swift I remember, but there were others) were trialed on the RX-2 before
he settled on the Aetec. None of them (including the Aetec) had enough
vertical adjustment to compensate for the barrel droop. He ended up using a
B-Square adjustable mount to overcome this. There are other mounts for less
money that will work just as well, None of the scopes seemed to suffer from
the 'abuse', but all were designed for air guns. Be aware, if you use a
scope such as the Aetec with a 44mm lens, you will need a tall mount. The
Beeman 5030M will not work because it is too short.

BTW, I have fired a number of rounds with his RX-2. It has a very gentle
firing cycle for such a powerful rifle.

--
Regards,
Mike