19 Feb 2006 09:39:04
JaxDawg
Raccoon problem

I've been reading various opinions on keeping pests away, too many
-really, such that I've gotten myself confused. I've got a raccoon
problem. I don't want to maim them, but do want them to get a good pop
when I shoot them.
I'm looking for recommendations on the kind of air gun to use.

After reading several groups, I have somewhat settled on a Crossman
1077. Why? Well:
* Fits my budget (<$100)
* Semi-automatic (want to be able to fire several shots quickly) - its
CO2
* Accurate - at least accurate enough for what I need

That said, I've also read that this gun, at 600 ft/sec is too powerful
to be used for "chasing away" critters.

Thoughts? Thanks!!

19 Feb 2006 19:18:03
AlanG
Re: Raccoon problem

On 19 Feb 2006 09:39:04 -0800, "JaxDawg" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>I've been reading various opinions on keeping pests away, too many
>-really, such that I've gotten myself confused. I've got a raccoon
>problem. I don't want to maim them, but do want them to get a good pop
>when I shoot them.
>I'm looking for recommendations on the kind of air gun to use.
>
>After reading several groups, I have somewhat settled on a Crossman
>1077. Why? Well:
>* Fits my budget (<$100)
>* Semi-automatic (want to be able to fire several shots quickly) - its
>CO2
>* Accurate - at least accurate enough for what I need
>
>That said, I've also read that this gun, at 600 ft/sec is too powerful
>to be used for "chasing away" critters.

There is a good chance you will lodge a pellet under the skin and
cause blood poisoning. The animal may die in pain over a period of
days. Here the police and animal protection societies would prosecute
you. Either use a gun to kill them outright or look for an
alternative. Paintball maybe or are their pelts too thick?

19 Feb 2006 19:39:39
Tuck
Re: Raccoon problem

AlanG wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2006 09:39:04 -0800, "JaxDawg" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>I've been reading various opinions on keeping pests away, too many
>>-really, such that I've gotten myself confused. I've got a raccoon
>>problem. I don't want to maim them, but do want them to get a good pop
>>when I shoot them.
>>I'm looking for recommendations on the kind of air gun to use.
>>
>>After reading several groups, I have somewhat settled on a Crossman
>>1077. Why? Well:
>>* Fits my budget (<$100)
>>* Semi-automatic (want to be able to fire several shots quickly) - its
>>CO2
>>* Accurate - at least accurate enough for what I need
>>
>>That said, I've also read that this gun, at 600 ft/sec is too powerful
>>to be used for "chasing away" critters.
>>

> There is a good chance you will lodge a pellet under the skin and
> cause blood poisoning. The animal may die in pain over a period of
> days. Here the police and animal protection societies would prosecute
> you. Either use a gun to kill them outright or look for an
> alternative. Paintball maybe or are their pelts too thick?

A softair gun using plastic pellets at energy < 1 joule is about right.
- It will not penetrate skin but really stings - same as paintball. It
is used for skirmishing and pretty accurate out to 40/50 feet.

A colleague of mine had a cat problem - HAD - no dead kittys but they
dont bother his birds anymore!

Green gas powered fully automatic 12 rounds per second.

KSC brand Glock 18

try here - http://www.shortyusa.com/

19 Feb 2006 19:42:32
Bob W

wrote:

>That said, I've also read that this gun, at 600 ft/sec is too powerful
>to be used for "chasing away" critters.
>
>Thoughts? Thanks!!

That's too much, IMO. Occasionally raccoons will poke their heads in
the cat flap in my kitchen door. I've found that hitting them with a
plastic airsoft bb will get rid of 'em (for a while).

20 Feb 2006 09:06:35
Butzmark

wrote:

>I've been reading various opinions on keeping pests away, too many
>-really, such that I've gotten myself confused. I've got a raccoon
>problem. I don't want to maim them, but do want them to get a good pop
>when I shoot them.
>I'm looking for recommendations on the kind of air gun to use.
>
>After reading several groups, I have somewhat settled on a Crossman
>1077. Why? Well:
>* Fits my budget (<$100)
>* Semi-automatic (want to be able to fire several shots quickly) - its
>CO2
>* Accurate - at least accurate enough for what I need
>
>That said, I've also read that this gun, at 600 ft/sec is too powerful
>to be used for "chasing away" critters.
>
>Thoughts? Thanks!!

Coons are real tough. 600 fps isn't going to penetrate unless you're
right on top of them. When I was a kid we used to shoot the dog with
my red rider to keep him from barking. You had to shake the gun to
get it to load a bb and it made a racket. Usually just shaking it made
him shut up after a while.

20 Feb 2006 10:38:11
lurker
Re: Raccoon problem..OT?

"Butzmark" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On 19 Feb 2006 09:39:04 -0800, "JaxDawg" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I've been reading various opinions on keeping pests away, too many
>>-really, such that I've gotten myself confused. I've got a raccoon
>>problem. I don't want to maim them, but do want them to get a good pop
>>when I shoot them.
>>I'm looking for recommendations on the kind of air gun to use.
>>
>>After reading several groups, I have somewhat settled on a Crossman
>>1077. Why? Well:
>>* Fits my budget (<$100)
>>* Semi-automatic (want to be able to fire several shots quickly) - its
>>CO2
>>* Accurate - at least accurate enough for what I need
>>
>>That said, I've also read that this gun, at 600 ft/sec is too powerful
>>to be used for "chasing away" critters.
>>
>>Thoughts? Thanks!!
>

> Coons are real tough. 600 fps isn't going to penetrate unless you're
> right on top of them. When I was a kid we used to shoot the dog with
> my red rider to keep him from barking. You had to shake the gun to
> get it to load a bb and it made a racket. Usually just shaking it made
> him shut up after a while.

I have found that if you spray anything with LYSOL, the racoons won't touch
it. Works for me on my boat and garbage.

21 Feb 2006 15:34:34
Re: Raccoon problem

600 FPS. with a 177 pellet will penetrate & wound but
not kill a coon.
You either want less or more.
A .22 @ 900 FPS. , (RWS Diana), is the least you can expect a
clean kill from, (and that only with a very well placed shot).
200 or 300 FPS from a .177 will 'sting` em without too serious a
wound, (unless you hit an eye like Mom warns us).
Animal Control might lend you a "catch-and-release" trap.
Drive the little sucker 15 miles or so and maybe he won't come back.
MadDog

22 Feb 2006 13:55:15
Rex B
Re: Raccoon problem

JaxDawg wrote:
> I've been reading various opinions on keeping pests away, too many
> -really, such that I've gotten myself confused. I've got a raccoon
> problem. I don't want to maim them, but do want them to get a good pop
> when I shoot them.
> I'm looking for recommendations on the kind of air gun to use.
>
> After reading several groups, I have somewhat settled on a Crossman
> 1077. Why? Well:
> * Fits my budget (<$100)
> * Semi-automatic (want to be able to fire several shots quickly) - its
> CO2
> * Accurate - at least accurate enough for what I need
>
> That said, I've also read that this gun, at 600 ft/sec is too powerful
> to be used for "chasing away" critters.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks!!

How about I drop some of my coyotes off at your place. Then neither of
us will need to buy another gun.
Oh wait, we WANT an excuse to buy a gun :)

26 Feb 2006 20:00:14
Chris Braid
Re: Raccoon problem

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] wrote:

> 600 FPS. with a 177 pellet will penetrate & wound but
> not kill a coon.
> You either want less or more.
> A .22 @ 900 FPS. , (RWS Diana), is the least you can expect a
> clean kill from, (and that only with a very well placed shot).
> 200 or 300 FPS from a .177 will 'sting` em without too serious a
> wound, (unless you hit an eye like Mom warns us).
> Animal Control might lend you a "catch-and-release" trap.
> Drive the little sucker 15 miles or so and maybe he won't come back.
> MadDog

"You use a humane trap, Walt.
It's called the Have-A-Heart trap.
You trap the 'coon in the humane trap,
and then you beat it to death with a shovel."

Wingfield Farm, by Dan Needles.