11 May 2005 08:07:13
peter
Police/Neighbor

Guys
A bit of advice needed. I bought a BSA Lightning XL 12flbs 2 weeks ago and
have been firing in the garden at tin cans and the like to get it sighted
and have some fun. Well last night a neighbor from 2 doors down came round
and asked if I was firing a shotgun (Stupid woman) , anyway I told her that
I was shooting an air rifle and in a safe and responsible way, I mean I'm 40
not 17 yrs old. Well 30 minutes later the police came round and asked to
come in and have a look around. I showed them the rifle and where I was
shooting and they said it's not a problem you're doing nothing wrong. But my
question is if I continue shooting and she complains again am I likely to
get in to bother with the police?
PS. I do own a shotgun, so am worried about my licence also.

Sorry to ramble but I'm bloody annoyed.

Cheers guys

Pete (UK)

11 May 2005 20:45:26
BTMO
Re: Police/Neighbor

"peter" < > wrote

> Guys
> A bit of advice needed. I bought a BSA Lightning XL 12flbs 2 weeks ago and
> have been firing in the garden at tin cans and the like to get it sighted
> and have some fun. Well last night a neighbor from 2 doors down came round
> and asked if I was firing a shotgun (Stupid woman) , anyway I told her
> that I was shooting an air rifle and in a safe and responsible way, I mean
> I'm 40 not 17 yrs old. Well 30 minutes later the police came round and
> asked to come in and have a look around. I showed them the rifle and where
> I was shooting and they said it's not a problem you're doing nothing
> wrong. But my question is if I continue shooting and she complains again
> am I likely to get in to bother with the police?
> PS. I do own a shotgun, so am worried about my licence also.
>
> Sorry to ramble but I'm bloody annoyed.

I am not in the UK (I am in New Zealand) but in some respects the law is the
same here.

The police have already visited, and told you it is ok. If you know the
officer involved (or at least can get in contact with him), it might be
worthwhile keeping a record of his name or number, so if you do get a
followup visit you can direct the police back to the person who visited you
initially.

It might make sense to keep a record of the time and date you were visited
as well. Provides some evidence that can be checked (see above...) in case
they do get tetchy with you.

Oh, and if the neighbour comes around again, just mention that the police
had visited and advised you that what you were doing is fine. In fact, I
would take some biscuits over, and offer to tell her the outcome of the
visit.

Who knows - you might win a friend, and a shooting buddy (or biddy...)...

:-)

Incidentally, my brother-in-law found himself in the same situation in
suburban Auckland. The police received a complaint that he was shooting a
gun in his garage.

They visited.

He showed them his set up, and offered them a shot. No problems since!

:-)

Don't sweat it - the law is on your side.

Cheers,

Brenton

11 May 2005 18:49:07
Andy Lawson
Re: Police/Neighbor

"peter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Guys
> A bit of advice needed. I bought a BSA Lightning XL 12flbs 2 weeks ago and
> have been firing in the garden at tin cans and the like to get it sighted
> and have some fun. Well last night a neighbor from 2 doors down came round
> and asked if I was firing a shotgun (Stupid woman) , anyway I told her
> that I was shooting an air rifle and in a safe and responsible way, I mean
> I'm 40 not 17 yrs old. Well 30 minutes later the police came round and
> asked to come in and have a look around. I showed them the rifle and where
> I was shooting and they said it's not a problem you're doing nothing
> wrong. But my question is if I continue shooting and she complains again
> am I likely to get in to bother with the police?
> PS. I do own a shotgun, so am worried about my licence also.
>
> Sorry to ramble but I'm bloody annoyed.
>
> Cheers guys
>
> Pete (UK)

Check out Uttings web pages who have details on the UK Laws on the use of
airguns:

https://secweb1.pipemedia.net/uttings/popups/airgunlaw1.html

Extract from the above site:

What you should know about shooting your airgun

"The supervisor is legally responsible for the actions of the person they
are supervising and no pellet must go outside the boundaries of that private
land."

"You cannot shoot your airgun within 15 metres of a public highway if, in so
doing, you are causing a nuisance or endangering the public."

Obviously a lot more information on the Laws is shown but I thought the
above extracts are perhaps the most relevant in this case. I don't know how
big or enclosed your garden is, but with extract one shown above, a ricochet
would breach that Law.

Extract two "causing a nuisance" is also perhaps one to look out for. Is the
noise from the airgun being fired enough to cause a "nuisance"?

Don't get me wrong, I have my own air pistols and rifle and I wish I could
fire them at targets in my garden but it's small and within 15 meters of a
road, even though it's to the side and not in the direction I would fire. I
just don't want to tempt fate.
Although a pain, perhaps if you show your neighbour or neighbours what your
firing at so they can see there's no danger and your not really trying to
kill birds or cats etc., the problem may go away?

As there's so many anti airgun news stories around at the moment I feel it's
probably best to try and explain and reassure rather than ignore or
antagonise.

All the best,

Andy Lawson

12 May 2005 08:04:11
peter
Re: Police/Neighbor

"peter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Guys
> A bit of advice needed. I bought a BSA Lightning XL 12flbs 2 weeks ago and
> have been firing in the garden at tin cans and the like to get it sighted
> and have some fun. Well last night a neighbor from 2 doors down came round
> and asked if I was firing a shotgun (Stupid woman) , anyway I told her
> that I was shooting an air rifle and in a safe and responsible way, I mean
> I'm 40 not 17 yrs old. Well 30 minutes later the police came round and
> asked to come in and have a look around. I showed them the rifle and where
> I was shooting and they said it's not a problem you're doing nothing
> wrong. But my question is if I continue shooting and she complains again
> am I likely to get in to bother with the police?
> PS. I do own a shotgun, so am worried about my licence also.
>
> Sorry to ramble but I'm bloody annoyed.
>
> Cheers guys
>
> Pete (UK)

Thanks guys
My house is about 35-40 yrds from the road at the front, the back garden is
about 40 yrds from the railway line at the back, but that is on an
embankment as high as the roof of the bungalow so I have a nice backstop
there. I think the only problem potentially is the noise of my springer. I
guess the answer maybe to get a pcp as I think these are a lot quieter.
Many thanks

Pete