13 Sep 2006 23:22:41
Help In deciding

I need help in deciding which of two pistols to buy. It's a nice dilemma.

The first is an IZH 46M. Said to be competition grade accuracy, excellent
reviews. The only downside is cumbersome grips that have to be worked to fit
your hand. Mfg specs give 500 fps but it tests out at 460 or so.

The other is from Mountain Air. A modified Crossman 1377, 14" barrel,
recrowned and ported valve, trigger job w/2lb pull, RB grips. 12 pumps give
it 600+ fps.

The IZH needs to levered only once with a 13 lb pull. My main interest is
target but we do have some field rats, squirrels and possums. Both are 177
but the Mountain Air is available in 22. The cost is the same approximately.

Opinions please. Thanks

Re: Help In deciding

I have shot the IZH and I own 5 custom Crosman pistols, two of which are
13xx guns. One in .22 and one in .177. That being said, you still have other
options in the Crosman line.

First, lets look at the IZH. The IZH would excel at target work and would do
fine for small pests, but would be a bit light for squirrel and possum.

The MA1322 would be a fine informal target gun with enough power (around
480fps in .22 with 12 pumps) for squirrel and (really) close range possum.

Another option would be to get a 1322 from another tuner or mod it yourself.
I know of one tuner who also does work on the 13xx series guns, perhaps dont
have all the 'niceties' that the MA gun does, but certainly does have the
power and is cheaper.

If it were strictly target work with the occasional pest bird or rat, I'd
say IZH all the way. If you feel you may need the extra power for squirrel
or larger, go with a 1322. The 1322 is simply a 1377 converted to .22
caliber. You can do the conversion yourself in about 15 minutes and roughly
$45. Simply buy the 1377 from anywhere and go to www.crosman.com and get a
steel breech and a 2250 barrel. You will have roughly 430fps in .22 just by
adding the breech and longer barrel, using 10 pumps. Of course, this doesnt
include the valve mods that Roy does, but its another alternative if you are
a DIY'er. If you are mechanically inclined, there are several tutorials
available online for valve mods to the 13xx series guns.
news:[email protected]