20 Oct 2008 10:39:26
djb
Daisy Powerline 880

My son (10 y.o.) wants to get an air rifle and has been looking at the
Daisy Powerline 880. We wants to use if for target shooting and can
plinking. He has been using a Daisy Red Ryder, but wants something a
step up in distance, but still fairly accurate.

Anybody have experience/comments on this air rifle, especially ones of
recent manufacture? (My web searches seem to indicate that the newer
ones are made in China and the quality may not be as good as it once
was.

What should we expect for a grouping size with BBs and with pellets?

Thanks,
Dave

20 Oct 2008 18:04:32
ray
Re: Daisy Powerline 880

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:39:26 -0700, djb wrote:

> My son (10 y.o.) wants to get an air rifle and has been looking at the
> Daisy Powerline 880. We wants to use if for target shooting and can
> plinking. He has been using a Daisy Red Ryder, but wants something a
> step up in distance, but still fairly accurate.
>
> Anybody have experience/comments on this air rifle, especially ones of
> recent manufacture? (My web searches seem to indicate that the newer
> ones are made in China and the quality may not be as good as it once
> was.
>
> What should we expect for a grouping size with BBs and with pellets?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Before making a decision, I would suggest you look at the Crosman Custom
store at the www.crosman.com web site. It is possible to put together a
very nice custom pistol or rifle with custom engraving for not much over
$100. I have shot true dime sized groups at 10 yards with a custom pistol.

21 Oct 2008 10:15:04
djb
Re: Daisy Powerline 880

On Oct 20, 2:04=A0pm, ray <[email protected] > wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:39:26 -0700, djb wrote:
> > My son (10 y.o.) wants to get an air rifle and has been looking at the
> > Daisy Powerline 880. =A0We wants to use if for target shooting and can
> > plinking. =A0He has been using a Daisy Red Ryder, but wants something a
> > step up in distance, but still fairly accurate.
>
> > Anybody have experience/comments on this air rifle, especially ones of
> > recent manufacture? =A0(My web searches seem to indicate that the newer
> > ones are made in China and the quality may not be as good as it once
> > was.
>
> > What should we expect for a grouping size with BBs and with pellets?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
>
> Before making a decision, I would suggest you look at the Crosman Custom
> store at thewww.crosman.comweb site. It is possible to put together a
> very nice custom pistol or rifle with custom engraving for not much over
> $100. I have shot true dime sized groups at 10 yards with a custom pistol=
.

Well, he is using birthday money and $100 is twice what he wants to
spend.

Other suggestions?

21 Oct 2008 19:45:34
ray
Re: Daisy Powerline 880

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:15:04 -0700, djb wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2:04 pm, ray <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:39:26 -0700, djb wrote:
>> > My son (10 y.o.) wants to get an air rifle and has been looking at
>> > the Daisy Powerline 880.  We wants to use if for target shooting and
>> > can plinking.  He has been using a Daisy Red Ryder, but wants
>> > something a step up in distance, but still fairly accurate.
>>
>> > Anybody have experience/comments on this air rifle, especially ones
>> > of recent manufacture?  (My web searches seem to indicate that the
>> > newer ones are made in China and the quality may not be as good as it
>> > once was.
>>
>> > What should we expect for a grouping size with BBs and with pellets?
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Dave
>>
>> Before making a decision, I would suggest you look at the Crosman
>> Custom store at thewww.crosman.comweb site. It is possible to put
>> together a very nice custom pistol or rifle with custom engraving for
>> not much over $100. I have shot true dime sized groups at 10 yards with
>> a custom pistol.
>
> Well, he is using birthday money and $100 is twice what he wants to
> spend.
>
> Other suggestions?

I'm not that familiar with the possibilities below $100. Only thing I know
of that is decently accurate in that price range would be a Crosman 1377
pistol - and it's a pumper so would probably be a little difficult for him.