22 Feb 2006 05:15:46
Rex
Daisy 717 upgrades?

I've had this gun for 3 decades or so, haven't paid it much attention of
late. But it's only had a few hundred pellets through it since new. I'd
like to know if there are any easy upgrades for it.
I have a red dot scope I'd like to mount on it, will probably have to
fab the mount.
Is there a way to increase the power a bit?
Smooth the trigger?
Metal rear open sights (mine are plastic)?

Right now the lever just flops, apparently the piston has stuck in it's
bore. I expect it will come free, as it has done this in the past.

I like the gun and would like to tune it up.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Rex B
Fort Worth

22 Feb 2006 06:16:35
George E. Cawthon
Re: Daisy 717 upgrades?

Rex wrote:
> I've had this gun for 3 decades or so, haven't paid it much attention of
> late. But it's only had a few hundred pellets through it since new. I'd
> like to know if there are any easy upgrades for it.
> I have a red dot scope I'd like to mount on it, will probably have to
> fab the mount.
> Is there a way to increase the power a bit?
> Smooth the trigger?
> Metal rear open sights (mine are plastic)?
>
> Right now the lever just flops, apparently the piston has stuck in it's
> bore. I expect it will come free, as it has done this in the past.
>
> I like the gun and would like to tune it up.
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Rex B
> Fort Worth

Can't answer your question about upgrades. I put
about 8000 pellets through mine. The main problem
with the gun is the poor trigger. I was always
going to replace the sear with a hardened steel
piece, but never did. Too lazy, I guess, as it
wouldn't take much trouble to replace the pot
metal parts.

22 Feb 2006 12:28:35
Rex B
Re: Daisy 717 upgrades?

George E. Cawthon wrote:
> Rex wrote:
>> I've had this gun for 3 decades or so, haven't paid it much attention
>> of late. But it's only had a few hundred pellets through it since new.
>> I'd like to know if there are any easy upgrades for it.
>> I have a red dot scope I'd like to mount on it, will probably have to
>> fab the mount.
>> Is there a way to increase the power a bit?
>> Smooth the trigger?
>> Metal rear open sights (mine are plastic)?
>>
>> Right now the lever just flops, apparently the piston has stuck in
>> it's bore. I expect it will come free, as it has done this in the past.
>>
>> I like the gun and would like to tune it up.
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Rex B
>> Fort Worth
>
> Can't answer your question about upgrades. I put about 8000 pellets
> through mine. The main problem with the gun is the poor trigger. I was
> always going to replace the sear with a hardened steel piece, but never
> did. Too lazy, I guess, as it wouldn't take much trouble to replace the
> pot metal parts.

I did notice the rouch trigger, both in surface feel and action.

My primary concern right now is the piston seems to be stuck in the
bore, so the pump lever just flops. About the same time this started
(intermittentently) it seemed to be down on power and accuracy. So I
suspect the piston seal. Is this easily servicable?
I'm tempted to pull the three screws on the left side of the
receiver and just take a look. But when I did this with my Remington
multi-pump, I almost didn't get it back together. What a piece of crap
that is inside!

22 Feb 2006 21:57:17
George E. Cawthon
Re: Daisy 717 upgrades?

Rex B wrote:

> George E. Cawthon wrote:
>
>> Rex wrote:
>>
>>> I've had this gun for 3 decades or so, haven't paid it much attention
>>> of late. But it's only had a few hundred pellets through it since
>>> new. I'd like to know if there are any easy upgrades for it.
>>> I have a red dot scope I'd like to mount on it, will probably have to
>>> fab the mount.
>>> Is there a way to increase the power a bit?
>>> Smooth the trigger?
>>> Metal rear open sights (mine are plastic)?
>>>
>>> Right now the lever just flops, apparently the piston has stuck in
>>> it's bore. I expect it will come free, as it has done this in the past.
>>>
>>> I like the gun and would like to tune it up.
>>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>>> Rex B
>>> Fort Worth
>>

>> Can't answer your question about upgrades. I put about 8000 pellets
>> through mine. The main problem with the gun is the poor trigger. I
>> was always going to replace the sear with a hardened steel piece, but
>> never did. Too lazy, I guess, as it wouldn't take much trouble to
>> replace the pot metal parts.
>

> I did notice the rouch trigger, both in surface feel and action.
>
> My primary concern right now is the piston seems to be stuck in the
> bore, so the pump lever just flops. About the same time this started
> (intermittentently) it seemed to be down on power and accuracy. So I
> suspect the piston seal. Is this easily servicable?
> I'm tempted to pull the three screws on the left side of the receiver
> and just take a look. But when I did this with my Remington multi-pump,
> I almost didn't get it back together. What a piece of crap that is inside!

Can't help you there. Mine has always worked fine.

23 Feb 2006 03:11:26
Rex
Re: Daisy 717 upgrades?

Rex wrote:
> I've had this gun for 3 decades or so, haven't paid it much attention of
> late. But it's only had a few hundred pellets through it since new. I'd
> like to know if there are any easy upgrades for it.
> I have a red dot scope I'd like to mount on it, will probably have to
> fab the mount.
> Is there a way to increase the power a bit?
> Smooth the trigger?
> Metal rear open sights (mine are plastic)?
>
> Right now the lever just flops, apparently the piston has stuck in it's
> bore. I expect it will come free, as it has done this in the past.
>
> I like the gun and would like to tune it up.
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Rex B
> Fort Worth

OK, I have the gun apart. Pretty simple deal. Looks like the o-ring
seals are hardened. I'll see if I can match them up at the auto parts
store. If not, I'll get Daisy to mail me some. Probably will do that
anyway, just in case the generic variety doesn't last.
I wonder if the new green Viton o-rings used in A/C systems would be
any better?

Rex

23 Feb 2006 03:26:38
Rex
Re: Daisy 717 upgrades?

George E. Cawthon wrote:
> Rex wrote:
>
>> I've had this gun for 3 decades or so, haven't paid it much attention
>> of late. But it's only had a few hundred pellets through it since new.
>> I'd like to know if there are any easy upgrades for it.
>> I have a red dot scope I'd like to mount on it, will probably have to
>> fab the mount.
>> Is there a way to increase the power a bit?
>> Smooth the trigger?
>> Metal rear open sights (mine are plastic)?
>>
>> Right now the lever just flops, apparently the piston has stuck in
>> it's bore. I expect it will come free, as it has done this in the past.
>>
>> I like the gun and would like to tune it up.
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Rex B
>> Fort Worth
>

> Can't answer your question about upgrades. I put about 8000 pellets
> through mine. The main problem with the gun is the poor trigger. I was
> always going to replace the sear with a hardened steel piece, but never
> did. Too lazy, I guess, as it wouldn't take much trouble to replace the
> pot metal parts.

Hey, look what I found:

Re: Daisy 717 upgrades?

One trick to smooth the trigger is to locate the contact points and dab a
small amount of light lapping compound on them and work the trigger until
it's smooth... be sure to CLEAN the lapping compound off completely (I use
rubbing alcohol) before putting it back and using it or the lapping compound
will continue to work and you'll have an unsafe trigger. I use JB bore paste
for this and have done it successfully on several guns.
"Rex" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've had this gun for 3 decades or so, haven't paid it much attention of
> late. But it's only had a few hundred pellets through it since new. I'd
> like to know if there are any easy upgrades for it.
> I have a red dot scope I'd like to mount on it, will probably have to fab
> the mount.
> Is there a way to increase the power a bit?
> Smooth the trigger?
> Metal rear open sights (mine are plastic)?
>
> Right now the lever just flops, apparently the piston has stuck in it's
> bore. I expect it will come free, as it has done this in the past.
>
> I like the gun and would like to tune it up.
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Rex B
> Fort Worth

23 Feb 2006 14:27:02
Rex B
Re: Daisy 717 upgrades?

> OK, I have the gun apart. Pretty simple deal. Looks like the o-ring
> seals are hardened. I'll see if I can match them up at the auto parts
> store. If not, I'll get Daisy to mail me some. Probably will do that
> anyway, just in case the generic variety doesn't last.
> I wonder if the new green Viton o-rings used in A/C systems would be
> any better?
>
> Rex

Pretty bad when you start replying to yourself ;)

Called Daisy just now. Seal kit is $1.00, valve is $3.00
And a nice, knowledgeable professional lady answered the phone.
Can't beat that!

In the meantime I'll still play with alternate seals. I also want to
polish the cylinder.