15 Feb 2005 00:09:36
Larry de Silva
What England have to do to win the Ashes......

WHAT ENGLAND HAVE TO DO TO WIN THE ASHES....

The key to Australians victories have been twofold; making a huge first
innings total and then not letting the opposition even get into a winning
position. Secondary to that is that the Australian bowling attack is
relentless. McGrath, Kasprowicz, Gillespie and Warne never release the
pressure; there are no easy overs.

Harmison must be fully fit and bowling without bad luck. England really need
Giles to improve out of sight as he will be targeted. Key looks a bit
mentally fragile and will also be looked at harshly by McGrath. Keeper Jones
drops too many catches. It is vital that Vaughan lead from the front, but it
looks like he is happy to hide in the middle order.He is also out of form
and will need big runs against Bangladesh. Strauss clearly is classy but has
only faced mediocre attacks and his last 2 test scores have been ducks.
Trescothick is batting well against some lesser teams, and will hit Warne
for a few, but can he score 700+ runs in 5 tests? Hoggard will be a worry
for England, its easy to see Ponting taking to him like a pack of seagulls
on a chip.

England need to win the toss, bat and score 550+. Then they have to bowl out
Australia for less than 300 and hold all their catches. They also need
injuries to several key Australian players. They need to work out how to
contain Gilchrist! bowl short it goes square for six. Bowl in the blockhole
and it goes straight for six. Clarke will prosper batting at 5, look for two
test centuries there, as well as several brilliant run-outs. He is the best
fieldsman in the world right now.

Australia can have a bad session, even a bad day. When this happens England
must keep their foot on the Aussies throats and not let them build large
partnerships. Australia have 8 players capable of scoring test centuries, 4
of the top 7 have double tons to their names.

England are running high on confidence, but deep down they must have doubts.
They MUST be no less than 1-0 up after the 1st 2 tests if they want to win
the series. If they crash early then it will be 1989 all over again.

WHAT AUSTRALIA HAS TO DO TO WIN THE ASHES....

Make sure they do not miss their connections to Heathrow airport.

Laz

14 Feb 2005 10:29:06
Re: What England have to do to win the Ashes......

Dream!!!! Seriously though I believe that until the bowling duo of
Warne & McGrath, and the batting duo of Langer & Gilchrist are in the
Australian ranks Englan's chances of recapturing the Ashes are slim to
none. Once these stalwarts call it a day England finally might have a
chance

Shariq

14 Feb 2005 21:22:20
Luke Curtis

On 14 Feb 2005 10:29:06 -0800, shariq_tariq@yahoo.com wrote:

>Dream!!!! Seriously though I believe that until the bowling duo of
>Warne & McGrath, and the batting duo of Langer & Gilchrist are in the
>Australian ranks Englan's chances of recapturing the Ashes are slim to
>none. Once these stalwarts call it a day England finally might have a
>chance
>
>Shariq

Australia are not unbeatable, you just have to have 5 great days, not
1,2,3 or even 4. look at the recent series:
In the first test Pakistan had Aus 5/78 in the first innings.
In the second test Aus were still 90 behind with 7 wickets down in the
first innings.
In the second test in India the home side had a 140 least after the
fist innings and probably would have won if the last day had not been
rained off.

The one big plus about the current Aussie side is the age:

Ponting - 30 Gilchrist - 33
Gillespie - 30 by the tour
Hayden - 34 Hogg - 34
Kasprowicz - 33 Lehmann - 35
Martyn - 33 McGrath - 35
Symonds - 30 by the ashes tour
Katchich - 30 half way through the ashes tour

Clarke 24 Watson 24 Lee - 29

Out of the current tour party of NZ only 2 players are not 30 or
marginally under it - by the time we go to Aus next time half that
team will have gone and by the time they come to England next time in
2009 most of the rest will have gone.

Of course it is quite possible that the next generation will be just
as good but how often an you expect to have once in a lifetime special
talents such as McGrath & Warne come into your side?

I think most English cricket fans are realistic to know that it will
be incredibly difficult to impossible to win the ashes.

*if* we have a fully fit squad for the Ashes series (which we haven't
had for over a decade) Then I think England have a 20% chance of
winning, 20% chance of a draw and Aus have a 60% chance of winning.

To win several things have to happen:

the whole squad to be fit
The whole squad to be on form
At least 2 bowlers and 2 batsmen need to go beyond the normal and have
a magical streak of form like Harmison, Flintoff and Strauss did last
year
I would help if Australia had the kind of catastrophic injury problems
that England have had previously:

In 02/03:
Before the first test last time we had lost:
Graham Thorpe who withdrew from the entire series.
Darren Gough not recovered from Knee problem, didn't play a match.
Harmison was injured for the first test.
Flintoff never recovered from a double Hernia op, didn't play a match.
Simon Jones busted his knee, only played part of the first day of the
first test.

Easy to compete with 3 of your 4 main bowlers and by far your best
batsman is out for the first test =:-(

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

14 Feb 2005 22:23:42
Cricket Passion

"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com > wrote in message
> On 14 Feb 2005 10:29:06 -0800, shariq_tariq@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>Dream!!!! Seriously though I believe that until the bowling duo of
>>Warne & McGrath, and the batting duo of Langer & Gilchrist are in the
>>Australian ranks Englan's chances of recapturing the Ashes are slim to
>>none. Once these stalwarts call it a day England finally might have a
>>chance
>>
>>Shariq
>
> Australia are not unbeatable, you just have to have 5 great days, not
> 1,2,3 or even 4. look at the recent series:

But wont they need 25 good days, or at least 15?

14 Feb 2005 22:24:20
max.it
> [...]

>the whole squad to be fit
>The whole squad to be on form
>At least 2 bowlers and 2 batsmen need to go beyond the normal and have
>a magical streak of form like Harmison, Flintoff and Strauss did last
>year
>I would help if Australia had the kind of catastrophic injury problems
>that England have had previously:
>
>In 02/03:
>Before the first test last time we had lost:
>Graham Thorpe who withdrew from the entire series.
>Darren Gough not recovered from Knee problem, didn't play a match.
>Harmison was injured for the first test.
>Flintoff never recovered from a double Hernia op, didn't play a match.
>Simon Jones busted his knee, only played part of the first day of the
>first test.
>
>Easy to compete with 3 of your 4 main bowlers and by far your best

You said it in your first line Luke.
5 days cricket.
England will have to play five days great cricket.
Anyone can get out, and anyone can bowl crap, as well as anyone can
bat or bowl well on a day.
11 guys in one match have to play 55 days great cricket.
Goes for both teams.

let's hope that England don't make it easy
for Oz. Big pressure on Ponting.
It's the last Ashes on free TV

In the timescale of international cricket, Oz should reach their elastic limit,
fairly soon, maybe while Ponting is still in charge.
I wonder if they will snap or just go dozy rubber ?

max.it

>--
>ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
>systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
>Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
>(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

14 Feb 2005 22:32:42
Matt

<shariq_tariq@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Dream!!!! Seriously though I believe that until the bowling duo of
> Warne & McGrath, and the batting duo of Langer & Gilchrist are in the
> Australian ranks Englan's chances of recapturing the Ashes are slim to
> none. Once these stalwarts call it a day England finally might have a
> chance
>
> Shariq

Take Warne and McGrath out of their side and we would compete. There batting
lineup is good but that is far less of a concern than those two.

15 Feb 2005 10:36:16
Simon Pleasants

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:32:42 -0000, "Matt" <nospam@nospam.net > wrote:

>Take Warne and McGrath out of their side and we would compete. There batting
>lineup is good but that is far less of a concern than those two.

I'm not sure I agree with that. If our inconsistent bowling attacks
lets them rack up 600 each time they bat the pressure on our batsmen
would be so immense we'd never stand a chance even if Geoff Boycott's
grannies were bowling from each end!

15 Feb 2005 20:23:15
Matt

"Simon Pleasants" <plesbit@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:32:42 -0000, "Matt" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>Take Warne and McGrath out of their side and we would compete. There
>>batting
>>lineup is good but that is far less of a concern than those two.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with that. If our inconsistent bowling attacks
> lets them rack up 600 each time they bat the pressure on our batsmen
> would be so immense we'd never stand a chance even if Geoff Boycott's
> grannies were bowling from each end!

True, but alternatively we'd see just how good their batters are chasing
some big targets posted by England against a rather ordinary Aussie attack.

It's far easier to compete with a team strong in batting, for example there
is probably little to choose between the Aussie top 6 and the Indian top 6
on their last visit to England.

16 Feb 2005 09:35:07
Simon Pleasants

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:23:15 -0000, "Matt" <nospam@nospam.net > wrote:

>"Simon Pleasants" <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I'm not sure I agree with that. If our inconsistent bowling attacks
>> lets them rack up 600 each time they bat the pressure on our batsmen
>> would be so immense we'd never stand a chance even if Geoff Boycott's
>> grannies were bowling from each end!
>
>True, but alternatively we'd see just how good their batters are chasing
>some big targets posted by England against a rather ordinary Aussie attack.

But for that we'd need to bat first and to bat first we'd need to win
the toss every so often.*

* Note to pedants, by win I mean the visiting captain lose. Thank
you.