20 Feb 2007 00:09:23
The Count of Baldoni
Road Pricing Petition-sign up.

The Count of Baldoni wrote:
> [...]

20 Feb 2007 01:32:28
D. Spencer Hines
Re: Road Pricing Petition-Sign Up.

HILARIOUS!

DSH

"The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com > wrote in message

> [...]

20 Feb 2007 02:00:12
The Count of Baldoni

D. Spencer Hines wrote:
|| HILARIOUS!
|| DSH
|| "The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com > wrote in message

If it was not for the bloody Americans forcing Ted Heath to take us into
Europe we would not be in this mess.

--
"A horse a horse, my kingdom for a horse".

I haven't had a winner for six months.

The Count

20 Feb 2007 02:23:51
D. Spencer Hines
Re: Road Pricing Petition-Sign Up.

Hilarius Magnus Cum Laude!

IN DENIAL.

> D. Spencer Hines wrote:

> || HILARIOUS!
> || DSH
> || "The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> If it was not for the bloody Americans forcing Ted Heath to take us into
> Europe we would not be in this mess.

20 Feb 2007 06:57:29
The DA
Re: Road Pricing Petition-sign up.

"The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com > wrote in message
> The Count of Baldoni wrote:

1.6 million signed it, 40-odd million adults didn't. To me, this implies
the majority agree with road pricing or don't give a toss. Either way, the
1.6m lose.

20 Feb 2007 09:57:33
Renia

D. Spencer Hines wrote:

> "The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>If it was not for the bloody Americans forcing Ted Heath to take us into
>>Europe we would not be in this mess.

> Hilarius Magnus Cum Laude!
>
> IN DENIAL.
>
> DSH

Not really. It's all part of the world-wide business of spying on people
and not letting them get on with their daily lives in peace. It's also a
part of Governement abuse, where they can tax people just for living.

The latest scheme is that the state is forcing congestion, by building
road-humps, traffic lights, roundabouts and by narrowing roads. Anything
to cause a build-up of traffic, so they can impose a congestion charge
or other charges.

20 Feb 2007 10:12:24
Renia

The DA wrote:

> "The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> 1.6 million signed it, 40-odd million adults didn't. To me, this implies
> the majority agree with road pricing or don't give a toss. Either way, the
> 1.6m lose.

Not everyone wants to put their ID or email address to something online.
Not everyone has access to a computer or of those who do, not everyone
has the knowledge to do with them what they would like to.

That upwards of 1.6 million people HAVE bothered, says a hell of a lot
and you are blind to say the majority of people don't give a toss or
agree with the government.

By that token, the majority of people did not agree with Labour getting
in to power in the first place.

20 Feb 2007 08:29:04
Fred

Renia wrote:
> D. Spencer Hines wrote:
>

>> "The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> If it was not for the bloody Americans forcing Ted Heath to take us
>>> into Europe we would not be in this mess.
>
> > Hilarius Magnus Cum Laude!
> >
> > IN DENIAL.
> >
> > DSH
>
> Not really. It's all part of the world-wide business of spying on people
> and not letting them get on with their daily lives in peace. It's also a
> part of Governement abuse, where they can tax people just for living.
>
> The latest scheme is that the state is forcing congestion, by building
> road-humps, traffic lights, roundabouts and by narrowing roads. Anything
> to cause a build-up of traffic, so they can impose a congestion charge
> or other charges.

There is no way that this appalling government will miss the
opportunity of cashing in on a problem. Is this really the most
imaginative and creative transport "experts" can be? "Just charge em more"!!

20 Feb 2007 08:30:47
D. Spencer Hines
Re: Road Pricing Petition-Sign Up.

My comment was directed at the absurd Blame America First red herring that
America somehow FORCED Prime Minister Ted Heath to take Britain into the
European Union.

DSH

"Renia" <renia@DELETEotenet.gr > wrote in message
> D. Spencer Hines wrote:
>

>> "The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>>If it was not for the bloody Americans forcing Ted Heath to take us into
>>>Europe we would not be in this mess.
>
> > Hilarius Magnus Cum Laude!
> >
> > IN DENIAL.
> >
> > DSH
>
> Not really. It's all part of the world-wide business of spying on people
> and not letting them get on with their daily lives in peace. It's also a
> part of Governement abuse, where they can tax people just for living.
>
> The latest scheme is that the state is forcing congestion, by building
> road-humps, traffic lights, roundabouts and by narrowing roads. Anything
> to cause a build-up of traffic, so they can impose a congestion charge or
> other charges.

20 Feb 2007 02:07:20
Fred

On 20 Feb, 08:29, Fred <F...@Frednet.com > wrote:
> There is no way that this appalling government will miss the
> opportunity of cashing in on a problem. Is this really the most
> imaginative and creative transport "experts" can be? "Just charge em more"!!

Er, lest anyone on uk.sport.cricket doesn't realise, this isn't me
going far off topic...

20 Feb 2007 14:21:30
Martin Underwood

Renia wrote in message
ereagk$4ec$1@mouse.otenet.gr:

>> 1.6 million signed it, 40-odd million adults didn't. To me, this
>> implies the majority agree with road pricing or don't give a toss. Either
>> way, the 1.6m lose.
>
> Not everyone wants to put their ID or email address to something
> online. Not everyone has access to a computer or of those who do, not
> everyone has the knowledge to do with them what they would like to.
>
> That upwards of 1.6 million people HAVE bothered, says a hell of a lot
> and you are blind to say the majority of people don't give a toss or
> agree with the government.
>
> By that token, the majority of people did not agree with Labour
> getting in to power in the first place.

The real problem with the per-mile road tax is not the concept of it but the
level of the charge. 1 per mile, compared with current fuel charges of
about 8 pence per mile for my car, is an exorbitant increase. I bet the duty
on fuel and the fixed cost Road Fund Licence won't be abolished in exchange
for the per-mile tax.

There are presumably two reasons why the government is contemplating
implementing the tax: 1) to discourage people from driving and thereby to
reduce congestion - very laudable; 2) to recognise that people will still
drive because they still need to travel, and to see a chance to raise a
humungous amount of extra tax from them - very bad.

Has the government said how it wants people to travel if not by car? Can the
bus and railway networks cope with a dramatic increase in passengers, even
if people are prepared to tolerate the inconvenience of a multi-vehicle
door-to-door journey, the need to conform to a timetable and the increased
costs? Probably not: rail fares are already artificially high to reduce the
level of demand to one that the railway companies can accomodate.

Would they simply prefer people to travel less? If so, that will put paid to
holidays and at-home service for repairs, and will dramatically change where
people live because houses that are not within easy reach of shops and
bus/train services to work will become worthless.

If the tax only applies to motorways, people will choose either to pay the
rip-off price if they or their employer can afford it or else they will
choose to divert onto parallel non-motorway routes which (unlike the
motorways) are not designed to take large amounts of traffic. Then we'll
*really* know what congestion is!

I'm all in favour of using public transport if it is suitable for the
purpose: 1) It is reliable, frequent and quick; 2) It goes when and where
you want to travel, with as few changes of bus/train as possible; 3) It is
cheap; 4) You can travel spontaneously without the need to plan your journey
in advance to get affordable fares; 5) You are travelling light rather than
taking lots of belongings (when I go on a self-catering holiday I need to
take clothes, books to read, bedding etc).

The road mileage tax idea would be fine if the level was realistic - maybe
an extra penny or two per mile on top of existing fuel rates. But 1/mile is
absurd: every time I went on holiday I'd be paying about 600 for the return
journey, plus the cost of any day trips while I was on holiday.

20 Feb 2007 14:35:03
Fred

Martin Underwood wrote:
> [...]
> *really* know what congestion is!
>
> I'm all in favour of using public transport if it is suitable for the
> purpose: 1) It is reliable, frequent and quick; 2) It goes when and where
> you want to travel, with as few changes of bus/train as possible; 3) It is
> cheap; 4) You can travel spontaneously without the need to plan your journey
> in advance to get affordable fares; 5) You are travelling light rather than
> taking lots of belongings (when I go on a self-catering holiday I need to
> take clothes, books to read, bedding etc).
>
> The road mileage tax idea would be fine if the level was realistic - maybe
> an extra penny or two per mile on top of existing fuel rates. But 1/mile is
> absurd: every time I went on holiday I'd be paying about 600 for the return
> journey, plus the cost of any day trips while I was on holiday.

It is a breath taking attempt at a money grabbing scam carried out
under the guise of caring for the environment and reducing congestion.
Of course Lottery jackpot winners and Goldman Sachs fund managers will
be delighted at the prospect of uncluttered roads. Maybe our masters
will provide extra buses for the less well off? Great!!

Incredibly they will no doubt be assisted in pulling of
this scam by the not so well of, eco warrior types. Bet they can't
believe their luck!!

20 Feb 2007 14:56:25
John Rowland

Martin Underwood wrote:

> The road mileage tax idea would be fine if the level was realistic -
> maybe an extra penny or two per mile on top of existing fuel rates.
> But 1/mile is absurd: every time I went on holiday I'd be paying
> about 600 for the return journey, plus the cost of any day trips
> while I was on holiday.

No-one would ever holiday in England ever again. It would be cheaper to fly
to Venice for the day than to drive to Stonehenge and back.

20 Feb 2007 17:40:30
Renia

John Rowland wrote:
> Martin Underwood wrote:
>
>>The road mileage tax idea would be fine if the level was realistic -
>>maybe an extra penny or two per mile on top of existing fuel rates.
>>But 1/mile is absurd: every time I went on holiday I'd be paying
>>about 600 for the return journey, plus the cost of any day trips
>>while I was on holiday.
>

> No-one would ever holiday in England ever again. It would be cheaper to fly
> to Venice for the day than to drive to Stonehenge and back.

I suspect that's the general idea. England must cease to be.

20 Feb 2007 17:45:09
Clive Coleman.
Re: Road Pricing Petition-sign up.

In message <V6mdnde-Tp6FmkbYRVnyiAA@bt.com >, Fred <Fred@Frednet.com>
writes
> It is a breath taking attempt at a money grabbing scam carried out
>under the guise of caring for the environment and reducing congestion.
>Of course Lottery jackpot winners and Goldman Sachs fund managers will
>be delighted at the prospect of uncluttered roads. Maybe our masters
>will provide extra buses for the less well off? Great!!
What's the betting that MPs will get a pass to use any toll roads free.
--
Clive.

20 Feb 2007 16:50:17
Don Miles
Re: Road Pricing Petition-sign up.

In message <erf26q$crq$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk >, John Rowland
<johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk > writes
>No-one would ever holiday in England ever again. It would be cheaper to
>fly to Venice for the day than to drive to Stonehenge and back.

As long as you can walk to the airport!

Don
--
Don Miles
For Women's Cricket on the Web : www.webbsoc.demon.co.uk

20 Feb 2007 18:20:33
The DA

> The DA wrote:
>
>> "The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>> 1.6 million signed it, 40-odd million adults didn't. To me, this implies
>> the majority agree with road pricing or don't give a toss. Either way,
>> the 1.6m lose.
>
> Not everyone wants to put their ID or email address to something online.
> Not everyone has access to a computer or of those who do, not everyone has
> the knowledge to do with them what they would like to.
>
> That upwards of 1.6 million people HAVE bothered, says a hell of a lot and
> you are blind to say the majority of people don't give a toss or agree
> with the government.

When did turkeys ever vote for Christmas?

> By that token, the majority of people did not agree with Labour getting in
> to power in the first place.

20 Feb 2007 15:42:39
Lucifer
Re: Road Pricing Petition-Sign Up.

On Feb 20, 8:30 am, "D. Spencer Hines" <poguemid...@hotmail.com >
wrote:
> My comment was directed at the absurd Blame America First red herring that
> America somehow FORCED Prime Minister Ted Heath to take Britain into the
> European Union.

I find it pretty funny that it's being used to have a go at the EU
too, it's this governments idiotic idea, and might be illegal under EU
law [1]

[1] - only a small might, but it's potentially there with the right to
privacy.

21 Feb 2007 12:15:21
Andrew McGee
Re: Road Pricing Petition-Sign Up.

"Renia" <renia@DELETEotenet.gr > wrote in message
> D. Spencer Hines wrote:
>

>> "The Count of Baldoni" <anthony.baldone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>>If it was not for the bloody Americans forcing Ted Heath to take us into
>>>Europe we would not be in this mess.

I am fascinated by the idea that Ted Heath was forced by the US to take us
into the EEC (as it then was).

Heath, for all his many character faults, was the only PM in living memory
who did NOT spend his time on his knees before the US President. He was rare
in understanding that the the UK's future should be as a full voting member
of a European Federation, not as a non-voting client state of the USA.

25 Feb 2007 15:33:20
Jon Combe
Re: Road Pricing Petition-sign up.

> 1.6 million signed it, 40-odd million adults didn't. To me, this implies
> the majority agree with road pricing or don't give a toss. Either way, the
> 1.6m lose.

Sorry, but your logic is flawed. For one the site requires a name, postal
address and email address. Not everyone is happy to give such information
out. Looking at the current list of top petitions I see petitions such as

"ensure that inheritance tax is scrapped in this year's Budget". It is
signed by 95,059. From that do I assume that the rest of the adult
population is happy with inheritance tax? Sorry, but I seriously doubt it.

I also see that there is a pro-road pricing petition that is signed by
4199 people. Using your logic I therefore conclude that a little over
4000 people support road pricing and the other 40 million or so adults
oppose it.

Jon.

26 Feb 2007 07:40:13
The DA

"Jon Combe" <joncombe@yahoo.com > wrote in message
>> 1.6 million signed it, 40-odd million adults didn't. To me, this implies
>> the majority agree with road pricing or don't give a toss. Either way,
>> the
>> 1.6m lose.
>
> Sorry, but your logic is flawed. For one the site requires a name, postal
> address and email address. Not everyone is happy to give such information
> out. Looking at the current list of top petitions I see petitions such as

And will someone be checking that these details are all legitimate and that
they belong to people who actually voted?

> "ensure that inheritance tax is scrapped in this year's Budget". It is
> signed by 95,059. From that do I assume that the rest of the adult
> population is happy with inheritance tax? Sorry, but I seriously doubt it.

Neither can you assume the opposite and start to base government policy on
it.

> I also see that there is a pro-road pricing petition that is signed by
> 4199 people. Using your logic I therefore conclude that a little over
> 4000 people support road pricing and the other 40 million or so adults
> oppose it.

As I've already posted, why would anyone register their approval of
government policy other than through the ballot box?

> Jon.

I'm not saying that I am, or the British public, are in favour of the
proposed road pricing bill but, until we get properly controlled online
voting, I don't think we should replace Parliament with the opinion of a
vocal minority.

26 Feb 2007 11:41:37
Renia

The DA wrote:

> "Jon Combe" <joncombe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>>1.6 million signed it, 40-odd million adults didn't. To me, this implies
>>>the majority agree with road pricing or don't give a toss. Either way,
>>>the
>>>1.6m lose.
>>
>>Sorry, but your logic is flawed. For one the site requires a name, postal
>>address and email address. Not everyone is happy to give such information
>>out. Looking at the current list of top petitions I see petitions such as
>>

> And will someone be checking that these details are all legitimate and that
> they belong to people who actually voted?

Not necessarily. But someone might collect the addresses for future use.
In a decade or so, such addresses might be useful to this emerging
police state.

26 Feb 2007 11:42:56
Renia

The DA wrote:

> As I've already posted, why would anyone register their approval of
> government policy other than through the ballot box?

Because once a government has been voted in, they do not have to consult
the people abour any changes or additions to policy. The people do not
have a say. The government does not have a mandate to do what it likes,
only what it promises.