26 Jul 2004 10:18:30
Will
Re: England win by 210

Robert Henderson wrote:
> Windies all out for 267 Chanderpaul 97*
>
> Giles 5-81
>
> Harmison and Hoggard 2 wickets, Flintoff 1 wicket.
>
> Butcher unfit for 2nd Test.

An important win, I feel. I was worried the negatives from our ODIous
performances might have spilled into the Test side; not so. Best
aspect is the Return Of Vaughan, and the emergence - after 100 Test
wickets - of a spinner who can bowl in England....

Worringly for the West Indies, we've won this almost without Harmison
(although his wicket of Gayle was absolutely crucial) - can't wait to
see him on fire again.

Will

26 Jul 2004 18:26:09
jim brant
Re: England win by 210

"Will" <wtluke@gmail.com > wrote in message
> Worringly for the West Indies, we've won this almost without Harmison

......and Jones (S). I'm afraid that Jones the Keeper hasn't covered himself
in glory either.

Jim

26 Jul 2004 20:46:46
Mark Banfield
Re: England win by 210

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:26:09 +0100, "jim brant" <jim@brantj.freeserve.co.uk >
wrote:

>"Will" <wtluke@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Worringly for the West Indies, we've won this almost without Harmison
>
>......and Jones (S).

whose participation in the 2nd Test may be in some doubt, and not just because
of a poor performance. In his diary piece for yesterday's Independent on Sunday,
- http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/story.jsp?story=544452- he says :

"The ball from Pedro Collins that got me leg-before landed plonk on the left big
toe. It swelled and filled up with blood. At that stage I was not the happiest
bowler to emerge from South Wales. The medical team drained some of the blood
away to ease the bruising, but it hurt.

"The pitch was slow enough and flat enough anyway without having to hobble in.
It hurt to land and I couldn't bowl at full pace. I was down in the low eighties
when I needed to be in the high eighties and beyond. It was desperately
disappointing."

26 Jul 2004 21:01:52
jim brant
Re: England win by 210

"Mark Banfield" <aocg00@xtreme.pipex.net > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:26:09 +0100, "jim brant"
<jim@brantj.freeserve.co.uk >
> wrote:
>

> >"Will" <wtluke@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Worringly for the West Indies, we've won this almost without Harmison
> >
> >......and Jones (S).
>
> whose participation in the 2nd Test may be in some doubt, and not just
because
> of a poor performance. In his diary piece for yesterday's Independent on
Sunday,
> - http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/story.jsp?story=544452- he says
:

> "The ball from Pedro Collins that got me leg-before landed plonk on the
left big
> toe. It swelled and filled up with blood. At that stage I was not the
happiest
> bowler to emerge from South Wales. The medical team drained some of the
blood
> away to ease the bruising, but it hurt.
>
> "The pitch was slow enough and flat enough anyway without having to hobble
in.
> It hurt to land and I couldn't bowl at full pace. I was down in the low
eighties
> when I needed to be in the high eighties and beyond. It was desperately
> disappointing."

Ah! - didn't know he was carrying an injury.

Jim

27 Jul 2004 08:40:17
David Lewis
Re: England win by 210

"jim brant" <jim@brantj.freeserve.co.uk > wrote in message

> "Mark Banfield" <aocg00@xtreme.pipex.net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:26:09 +0100, "jim brant"
> <jim@brantj.freeserve.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"Will" <wtluke@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > >......and Jones (S).
> >
> > whose participation in the 2nd Test may be in some doubt, and not just
> because
> > of a poor performance. In his diary piece for yesterday's Independent on
> Sunday,
> > - http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/story.jsp?story=544452- he
says
> :
> >
> > "The ball from Pedro Collins that got me leg-before landed plonk on the
> left big
> > toe. It swelled and filled up with blood. At that stage I was not the
> happiest
> > bowler to emerge from South Wales. The medical team drained some of the
> blood
> > away to ease the bruising, but it hurt.
> >
> > "The pitch was slow enough and flat enough anyway without having to
hobble
> in.
> > It hurt to land and I couldn't bowl at full pace. I was down in the low
> eighties
> > when I needed to be in the high eighties and beyond. It was desperately
> > disappointing."
> >
> Ah! - didn't know he was carrying an injury.
>
> Jim

Me neither, which does explain his less than performance. Oh well, bring on
Anderson and let's see what he can do this year.

Cheers

David

27 Jul 2004 07:14:09
Graham Davis
Re: England win by 210

Mark Banfield wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:26:09 +0100, "jim brant" <jim@brantj.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>"Will" <wtluke@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Worringly for the West Indies, we've won this almost without Harmison
>>
>>......and Jones (S).
>

> whose participation in the 2nd Test may be in some doubt, and not just because
> of a poor performance. In his diary piece for yesterday's Independent on Sunday,
> - http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/story.jsp?story=544452- he says :
>
> "The ball from Pedro Collins that got me leg-before landed plonk on the left big
> toe. It swelled and filled up with blood. At that stage I was not the happiest
> bowler to emerge from South Wales. The medical team drained some of the blood
> away to ease the bruising, but it hurt.
>
> "The pitch was slow enough and flat enough anyway without having to hobble in.
> It hurt to land and I couldn't bowl at full pace. I was down in the low eighties
> when I needed to be in the high eighties and beyond. It was desperately
> disappointing."

Perhaps cricketers should go back to wearing boots instead of plimsolls?

--
Graham Davis
Bracknell

28 Jul 2004 00:34:51
Mike Gooding
Re: England win by 210

"David Lewis" <lewis@rmplc.co.uk > wrote in message news:<ce5123$1pp$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net>...

> Me neither, which does explain his less than performance. Oh well, bring on
> Anderson and let's see what he can do this year.

Provided you can tear him away from the mirror, of course.

Mike Gooding
------------

30 Jul 2004 12:06:50
Martin Basterfield
Re: England win by 210

BTW, was anyone watching the live C4 coverage on the Friday morning?
Richie Benaud calmly announced that Fidel Castro was about to start a
spell of bowling for the Windies! Amazingly, I don't seem to remember
him correcting his mistake.

The sad thing is, an elderly Cuban dictator would probably have stood
more chance of sneaking an England wicket that morning than Edwards
himself.......

Martin

31 Jul 2004 07:57:57
Steve Hague
Re: England win by 210

"Martin Basterfield" <mpb999@cheerful.com > wrote in message
> BTW, was anyone watching the live C4 coverage on the Friday morning?
> Richie Benaud calmly announced that Fidel Castro was about to start a
> spell of bowling for the Windies! Amazingly, I don't seem to remember
> him correcting his mistake.
>
> The sad thing is, an elderly Cuban dictator would probably have stood
> more chance of sneaking an England wicket that morning than Edwards
> himself.......
>
> Martin

Almost as good as Henry Blofeld referring to one of the Windies bowlers as
Germaine Greer. Someone else pointed out that although Greer was Australian,
she was now England qualified by residence.
Steve Hague.

02 Aug 2004 09:22:34
John Charnock
Re: England win by 210

"Martin Basterfield" wrote ...

> Richie Benaud calmly announced that Fidel Castro was about to start a
> spell of bowling for the Windies! Amazingly, I don't seem to remember
> him correcting his mistake.

To be fair to Richie, the nickname given by his teammates to
the West Indian bowler is indeed Fidel, so it was almost
certainly a deliberate reference from the commentator.

John Charnock

02 Aug 2004 12:04:55
Tom Boltwood
Re: England win by 210

> From: "John Charnock" <j.m.charnock@dl.ac.uk>
> Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 09:22:34 +0100
> Subject: Re: England win by 210
>

> "Martin Basterfield" wrote ...
>>
>> Richie Benaud calmly announced that Fidel Castro was about to start a
>> spell of bowling for the Windies! Amazingly, I don't seem to remember
>> him correcting his mistake.
>>
> To be fair to Richie, the nickname given by his teammates to
> the West Indian bowler is indeed Fidel, so it was almost
> certainly a deliberate reference from the commentator.
>
> John Charnock

Boycott was talking about the England captain Michael Atherton on Friday as
well. It was ages before he said, 'sorry, I mean Michael Vaughan'. A bit of
old age creeping into the commentary here maybe? There seem to be occasional
shades of Murray Walker about the older commentators at times these days
(not that I mind).

02 Aug 2004 12:37:35
David Lewis
Re: England win by 210

"Tom Boltwood" <tom@boltwood.nospam > wrote in message

> > From: "John Charnock" <j.m.charnock@dl.ac.uk>
> > Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
> > Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 09:22:34 +0100
> > Subject: Re: England win by 210
> >

> > "Martin Basterfield" wrote ...
> >>
> >> Richie Benaud calmly announced that Fidel Castro was about to start a
> >> spell of bowling for the Windies! Amazingly, I don't seem to remember
> >> him correcting his mistake.
> >>
> > To be fair to Richie, the nickname given by his teammates to
> > the West Indian bowler is indeed Fidel, so it was almost
> > certainly a deliberate reference from the commentator.
> >
> > John Charnock
> >

> Boycott was talking about the England captain Michael Atherton on Friday
as
> well. It was ages before he said, 'sorry, I mean Michael Vaughan'. A bit
of
> old age creeping into the commentary here maybe? There seem to be
occasional
> shades of Murray Walker about the older commentators at times these days
> (not that I mind).

He's done that quite often. But I still prefer him to Reeve & Nicholas.

David

03 Aug 2004 00:42:12
Andrew Dunford
Re: England win by 210

"John Charnock" <j.m.charnock@dl.ac.uk > wrote in message

> "Martin Basterfield" wrote ...
> >
> > Richie Benaud calmly announced that Fidel Castro was about to start a
> > spell of bowling for the Windies! Amazingly, I don't seem to remember
> > him correcting his mistake.
> >
> To be fair to Richie, the nickname given by his teammates to
> the West Indian bowler is indeed Fidel, so it was almost
> certainly a deliberate reference from the commentator.

I presume you mean Castro (Fidel Edwards's nickname).

It would indeed be unfair to compare Benaud's effort, mistake or otherwise,
with the bumblings of Blofeld and his regular references to Germaine Greer
at Edgbaston. Earlier in the season Blofeld spent a whole Test match
referring to one of the NZ players as Bertram Mills (although to be fair,
Kyle Mills's performance at Trent Bridge was a bit of circus).

Andrew