16 Feb 2005 21:51:00
max.it
Quicker quiz

Which famous Surrey cricketer played against the Australians
on their visit to Ireland.
J Bray was't born at the time, and that could be a cryptic clue.

max.it

18 Feb 2005 22:56:46
max.it
Re: Quicker quiz

max.it@tea.time (max.it)

>Which famous Surrey cricketer played against the Australians
>on their visit to Ireland.
>J Bray was't born at the time, and that could be a cryptic clue.
>
>max.it

I've had to X post this little cricket quiz.
Mainly because after the SA tour uksc has went into
silent mode.

I'll even give a few more clues,
the cricketer I want may not have been the only surrey man to play.
If you find the score cards you might like to identify the clubs or teams the others
played for.
Vogler may be another clue.

max.it (post to uksc)

18 Feb 2005 20:57:22
dodo
Re: Quicker quiz

max.it wrote:
> max.it@tea.time (max.it)
>

> >Which famous Surrey cricketer played against the Australians
> >on their visit to Ireland.
> >J Bray was't born at the time, and that could be a cryptic clue.
> >
> >max.it
> >

> I've had to X post this little cricket quiz.
> Mainly because after the SA tour uksc has went into
> silent mode.
>
> I'll even give a few more clues,
> the cricketer I want may not have been the only surrey man to play.
> If you find the score cards you might like to identify the clubs or
teams the others
> played for.
> Vogler may be another clue.

Steve Waugh?

> max.it (post to uksc)

19 Feb 2005 09:56:18
Robert Henderson
Re: Quicker quiz

In article <42166ea3.52056025@news.btopenworld.com >, max.it
<max.it@tea.time > writes
> max.it@tea.time (max.it)
>

>>Which famous Surrey cricketer played against the Australians
>>on their visit to Ireland.
>>J Bray was't born at the time, and that could be a cryptic clue.
>>
>>max.it
>>

>I've had to X post this little cricket quiz.
>Mainly because after the SA tour uksc has went into
>silent mode.
>
>I'll even give a few more clues,
>the cricketer I want may not have been the only surrey man to play.

Bobby Abel or Maurice Read? RH

--
Robert Henderson
philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk

19 Feb 2005 16:16:04
max.it
Re: Quicker quiz

Robert Henderson <Philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk >

>In article <42166ea3.52056025@news.btopenworld.com>, max.it
><max.it@tea.time> writes
>> max.it@tea.time (max.it)
>>

>>>Which famous Surrey cricketer played against the Australians
>>>on their visit to Ireland.
>>>J Bray was't born at the time, and that could be a cryptic clue.
>>>
>>>max.it
>>>

>>I've had to X post this little cricket quiz.
>>Mainly because after the SA tour uksc has went into
>>silent mode.
>>
>>I'll even give a few more clues,
>>the cricketer I want may not have been the only surrey man to play.
>
>Bobby Abel or Maurice Read? RH

A little bit later than those guys. The other WG played in the match,
also Teddy Wynyard, though after their test days.
Claude Buckenham and Syd Barnes (I think).

The match seems to have been quite an event.
They erected a railway platform for the spectators.

below the spoiler there is a link to where the answer is.

max.it

>>If you find the score cards you might like to identify the clubs or teams the
>>others
>>played for.
>>Vogler may be another clue.
>>
>>max.it (post to uksc)
>
>--
>Robert Henderson
>philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk
>Blair Scandal web site at http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
>Personal web site at http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk
¦
¦
¦--------spoiler-------
/
/

/
/
/
/
/

/
/
/

/
/
/
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~northwicklowcc/Directory/History6.html

20 Feb 2005 07:08:22
Robert Henderson
Re: Quicker quiz

In article <421760f0.21492034@news.btopenworld.com >, max.it
<max.it@tea.time > writes

>A little bit later than those guys. The other WG played in the match,
>also Teddy Wynyard, though after their test days.
>Claude Buckenham and Syd Barnes (I think).

Tom Hayward or Jack Hobbs? RH
--
Robert Henderson
philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk
Blair Scandal web site at http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal web site at http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

20 Feb 2005 10:23:45
max.it
Re: Quicker quiz

Robert Henderson <Philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk >

>In article <421760f0.21492034@news.btopenworld.com>, max.it
><max.it@tea.time> writes
>>
>>A little bit later than those guys. The other WG played in the match,
>>also Teddy Wynyard, though after their test days.
>>Claude Buckenham and Syd Barnes (I think).
>
>Tom Hayward or Jack Hobbs? RH

Hobbs is correct scored 56 and 19.
Mr Cocharan's team was stuffed full of celebs.

max.it

>--
>Robert Henderson
>philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk
>Blair Scandal web site at http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
>Personal web site at http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

20 Feb 2005 13:15:11
Robert Henderson
Re: Quicker quiz

In article <4218650d.805788@news.btopenworld.com >, max.it
<max.it@tea.time > writes

>Hobbs is correct scored 56 and 19.
>Mr Cocharan's team was stuffed full of celebs.

Hobbs, Barnes and Buckingham are a pretty good start. RH

--
Robert Henderson
philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk
Blair Scandal web site at http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal web site at http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

20 Feb 2005 22:51:14
max.it
Re: Quicker quiz

Robert Henderson <Philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk >

>In article <4218650d.805788@news.btopenworld.com>, max.it
><max.it@tea.time> writes
>>
>>Hobbs is correct scored 56 and 19.
>>Mr Cocharan's team was stuffed full of celebs.
>>
>Hobbs, Barnes and Buckingham are a pretty good start. RH

From the press reports available at :
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~northwicklowcc/Directory/History6.html

+++++++++
Barnes opened the bowling to Whitty, and had a single scored off his third ball. Buckenham
bowled from the other end, and a single was scored off the over. Both bowlers were keeping
a good length, and with the batsmen playing cautiously, runs came at a very slow rate.
O’Connor at last drove Barnes to the pavilion rails for four, and then facing Buckenham,
got that bowler away for a four and a two in the same over. This brought 20 on the board
after play had been in progress thirty minutes. A change in the bowling was now tried,
Tanant going on for Buckenham. The new bowler met with immediate success, getting Whitty
lbw on his second ball. The outgoing batsman had made 10 out of the 24. MacAlister filled
the vacancy, and got a four to the stand side off Tanant’s fourth ball. The rate of run
getting had now increased, O’Connor getting several nice drives. MacAlister sent one up
dangerously near Vogler in the slips, but the South African failed to reach the ball, and
a single resulted. A separation, however, was not long delayed, as O’Connor, after getting
Tanant away for two successive boundaries, miss hit the next ball, and Hobbs at cover
point had no difficulty in bringing off a catch. O’Connor had made 34, a feature in his
innings being that his last six hits were fours. The second wicket had fallen at 50.
Bardsley was next in, and the scoring again slowed down. Only 12 runs had been added when
a magnificent catch by Tanant dismissed MacAlister. The batsman played a ball hard in the
slips from Buckenham, who had just previously gone on at the pavilion end viz. Barnes, and
Tanant dashing forward, took the ball almost off the ground. With Hartigan in, the scoring
continued slow. Barnes went on at the far end for Tanant, and soon met with success, as
with the score only increased by 7, the newcomer was held by Stedman, he having made 5.
Ransford was next in, and on returning the second ball he received to Barnes which the
latter accepted, half the side were out for 69, and the Australian were certainly in a non
enviable position, as they were now but 44 on.. Armstrong, who took Ransford’s place, had
a narrow shave. The second ball he received from Barnes went straight into the hands of
Hobbs at long stop. Hobbs, however failed to hold it. Shortly afterwards Tanant and
Buckenham changed places, and the latter with his second ball disposed of Bardsley, who
had made 14 runs. 6 wickets were now down for 95 runs, and in that position the game stood
at lunchtime.
++++++++++

I don't know who Tanant is, though he had a good match.

At Newry (reformed in 2000/2001 after 50 years without a club)
some of the guys decided to have a bit of a historical go, harder than you think.

They knew about the old teams in the south armagh south down area,
but they could only turn up, a few photos a couple of old newspaper scorecards,
and an old guy who had played in the fifties (same name as me..... funny that)
he lived miles and miles away.

Anyways, if I join my local club this season. Iwill get to coach
my four boys, and I can do nets every day. So long as I don't improve myself,
I will get to umpire. I think I might get to be a slogger for the 2nds
(available with 7 seats in my car)

max.it
(not into cricket history , unless I pick my spot)

>--
>Robert Henderson
>philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk
>Blair Scandal web site at http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
>Personal web site at http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

21 Feb 2005 05:22:57
Robert Henderson
Re: Quicker quiz

In article <42190ffc.6540768@news.btopenworld.com >, max.it
<max.it@tea.time > writes
>I don't know who Tanant is, though he had a good match.

I wonder if that should be Tarrant, ie, Frank Tarrant a great Oz
allrounder who played for Mddx before WW1? Opening RHB and SLA bowler.
RH

>At Newry (reformed in 2000/2001 after 50 years without a club)
>some of the guys decided to have a bit of a historical go, harder than you
>think.
>
>They knew about the old teams in the south armagh south down area,
>but they could only turn up, a few photos a couple of old newspaper scorecards,
>and an old guy who had played in the fifties (same name as me..... funny that)
>he lived miles and miles away.

Ireland has always been a popular destination for county sides both pre
and post season. RH

>Anyways, if I join my local club this season. Iwill get to coach
>my four boys, and I can do nets every day. So long as I don't improve myself,
>I will get to umpire. I think I might get to be a slogger for the 2nds
>(available with 7 seats in my car)
>
>max.it
>(not into cricket history , unless I pick my spot)

--
Robert Henderson
philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk
Blair Scandal web site at http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal web site at http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

27 Feb 2005 17:35:12
David North
Re: Quicker quiz

"Robert Henderson" <Philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk > wrote in message
> In article <42190ffc.6540768@news.btopenworld.com>, max.it
> <max.it@tea.time> writes
> >I don't know who Tanant is, though he had a good match.
> >

> I wonder if that should be Tarrant, ie, Frank Tarrant a great Oz
> allrounder who played for Mddx before WW1? Opening RHB and SLA bowler.
> RH

Indeed it should.

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/7/f7625.html

The name of Stedman, another ex Surrey player, is also spelt incorrectly.

The historians seem to have decided that "Roger" Hartigan's first name was
actually Michael, which I think must be a very recent correction.
--
David North
Email to this address will be deleted as spam

28 Feb 2005 10:19:09
Robert Henderson
Re: Quicker quiz

In article <38eelgF5efrnaU1@individual.net >, David North <dnorth@abbeyma
nor.fsbusiness.co.uk > writes
> >I don't know who Tanant is, though he had a good match.
>> >

>> I wonder if that should be Tarrant, ie, Frank Tarrant a great Oz
>> allrounder who played for Mddx before WW1? Opening RHB and SLA bowler.
>> RH
>
>Indeed it should.

If Oz had not been so boneheaded, he would have played many times for
them. As it was, they would not choose anyone playing overseas. RH

>http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/7/f7625.html
>
>The name of Stedman, another ex Surrey player, is also spelt incorrectly.
>
>The historians seem to have decided that "Roger" Hartigan's first name was
>actually Michael, which I think must be a very recent correction.
>--

I wish they wouldn't do this. The classic example of renaming is Ernest
Tyldesley who suddenly became G E Tyldesley. RH