20 Apr 2006 13:12:33
David Wilcox
Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

What the.........?

http://www.lccc.co.uk/index.php?p=news&id=547

Old Trafford gets dumped from the Ashes programme but Lords
is still getting 2 tests a year. If there are so many more Test status
venues then I'm sorry but it's got to be shared about more. London
gets three tests a year with two at Lords and one at the Oval.

After the turnout for the final day at OT this is an absolute disgrace
and a right slap in the face in my book.

They haven't even confirmed if OT will get the small consolation
of a Test vs. Zimbabwe!

Not happy!!

Dave

20 Apr 2006 07:24:25
Ramapriya D
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

David Wilcox wrote:
> What the.........?
>
> http://www.lccc.co.uk/index.php?p=news&id=547
>
> Old Trafford gets dumped from the Ashes programme but Lords

Sky News reported that it was Trent Bridge that got the chop. I guess
it's a measure to increase the game's popularity in Wales... unless
England doesn't have enough Test-worthy alternative grounds (unlikely).

Ramapriya

20 Apr 2006 15:47:37
David Wilcox
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

In news:1145543065.309084.5700@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Ramapriya D <ramapriya.d@gmail.com > typed:
> David Wilcox wrote:
>> What the.........?
>>
>> http://www.lccc.co.uk/index.php?p=news&id=547
>>
>> Old Trafford gets dumped from the Ashes programme but Lords
>

> Sky News reported that it was Trent Bridge that got the chop. I guess
> it's a measure to increase the game's popularity in Wales... unless
> England doesn't have enough Test-worthy alternative grounds
> (unlikely).
>
> Ramapriya

Trent Bridge has been dropped as well as Old Trafford. Headingley
has got a Test whereas they didn't have a test in last years Ashes.
The Ashes will be played at Lords, Headingley, Edgbaston, Cardiff
and the Oval. 4 out of five over 100 miles away from me.

To be honest it's probably the fact that that they all seem to be down
south with the exception of the Leeds game that's annoyed me, it's
right to give a game back to Headingley, they lost out last year but
why do they all have to be played down south?
OK I know we had one last year and they didn't but OT was dropped
in 2001 too, maybe it really is time for Lancashire to move grounds
or redevelop OT, they seem to be getting shit on at the moment.

Dave

20 Apr 2006 19:54:56
Matt

"David Wilcox" <davethemanc@yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
> In news:1145543065.309084.5700@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> Ramapriya D <ramapriya.d@gmail.com> typed:
>> David Wilcox wrote:
>>> What the.........?
>>>
>>> http://www.lccc.co.uk/index.php?p=news&id=547
>>>
>>> Old Trafford gets dumped from the Ashes programme but Lords
>>

>> Sky News reported that it was Trent Bridge that got the chop. I guess
>> it's a measure to increase the game's popularity in Wales... unless
>> England doesn't have enough Test-worthy alternative grounds
>> (unlikely).
>>
>> Ramapriya
>
> Trent Bridge has been dropped as well as Old Trafford. Headingley
> has got a Test whereas they didn't have a test in last years Ashes.
> The Ashes will be played at Lords, Headingley, Edgbaston, Cardiff
> and the Oval. 4 out of five over 100 miles away from me.
>
> To be honest it's probably the fact that that they all seem to be down
> south with the exception of the Leeds game that's annoyed me, it's
> right to give a game back to Headingley, they lost out last year but
> why do they all have to be played down south?
> OK I know we had one last year and they didn't but OT was dropped
> in 2001 too, maybe it really is time for Lancashire to move grounds
> or redevelop OT, they seem to be getting shit on at the moment.
>
> Dave

The usual response to the question of why Lords gets two tests is that both
visiting teams like to play a Test Match at Lords.

20 Apr 2006 20:36:42
John Hall
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

In article <124fm85fbgpb7dd@corp.supernews.com >,
Matt <nospam@nospam.net > writes:
>The usual response to the question of why Lords gets two tests is that both
>visiting teams like to play a Test Match at Lords.

I think that the other reason is that the games are guaranteed
sell-outs. With some of the other venues, that's the case for the
Australians, but for some of the less glamorous visitors the ground can
be only half full.
--
John Hall

You can divide people into two categories:
those who divide people into two categories and those who don't

20 Apr 2006 21:17:48
Graybags
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

> The usual response to the question of why Lords gets two tests is that
> both visiting teams like to play a Test Match at Lords.

In which case, perhaps next time India tour, we can send them elsewhere, and
even then, they won't be asked to keep the ludicrous tinier we had over
there.

Old Trafford always sells out.

20 Apr 2006 21:18:20
Graybags
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

Itinerary - bloody shitty spellchucker

20 Apr 2006 21:23:36
Tids

"Graybags" <gbas@lineone.net > wrote in message
> Itinerary - bloody shitty spellchucker

I'm glad you said that....spent 5 minutes trying to work
out what you meant ;-)

20 Apr 2006 22:16:04
David North
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

"David Wilcox" <davethemanc@yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
> In news:1145543065.309084.5700@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> Ramapriya D <ramapriya.d@gmail.com> typed:
>> David Wilcox wrote:
>>> What the.........?
>>>
>>> http://www.lccc.co.uk/index.php?p=news&id=547
>>>
>>> Old Trafford gets dumped from the Ashes programme but Lords
>>

>> Sky News reported that it was Trent Bridge that got the chop. I guess
>> it's a measure to increase the game's popularity in Wales... unless
>> England doesn't have enough Test-worthy alternative grounds
>> (unlikely).
>>
>> Ramapriya
>
> Trent Bridge has been dropped as well as Old Trafford. Headingley
> has got a Test whereas they didn't have a test in last years Ashes.
> The Ashes will be played at Lords, Headingley, Edgbaston, Cardiff
> and the Oval. 4 out of five over 100 miles away from me.

Lucky you - the Cardiff Test will be the first one ever played within 100 miles
of me (South Somerset).
--
David North
Email to this address will be deleted as spam

20 Apr 2006 22:24:56
David North

> What the.........?
>
> http://www.lccc.co.uk/index.php?p=news&id=547
>
> Old Trafford gets dumped from the Ashes programme but Lords
> is still getting 2 tests a year. If there are so many more Test status
> venues then I'm sorry but it's got to be shared about more. London
> gets three tests a year with two at Lords and one at the Oval.
>
> After the turnout for the final day at OT this is an absolute disgrace
> and a right slap in the face in my book.
>
> They haven't even confirmed if OT will get the small consolation
> of a Test vs. Zimbabwe!

They might want to confirm that Zimbabwe will actually be playing first.

Why are we wasting our time playing four Tests against West Indies again next
year, and only three against India?

OK, I know the number of Tests is because of reciprocation, but it'll only be 3
years since we last stuffed them here, while we're having to wait 5 years to
have another go at the Saffers over here.
--
David North
Email to this address will be deleted as spam
Use usenetATlaneHYPHENfarm.fsnet.co.uk

20 Apr 2006 16:09:05
Robt P

Matt wrote:

> The usual response to the question of why Lords gets two tests is that both
> visiting teams like to play a Test Match at Lords.

Complete fallacy.....

Many overseas players (and county players too) dislike the
supercillious atmosphere which still prevails there.....

More likely the 'Wembley scenario'.....the M25 stockade Mafia won't
travel to watch national sporting events.

Cheers
Robt P.

21 Apr 2006 05:44:19
Outlaw

"John Hall" <nospam_nov03@jhall.co.uk > wrote in message
> In article <124fm85fbgpb7dd@corp.supernews.com>,
> Matt <nospam@nospam.net> writes:
>>The usual response to the question of why Lords gets two tests is that
>>both
>>visiting teams like to play a Test Match at Lords.
>
> I think that the other reason is that the games are guaranteed
> sell-outs. With some of the other venues, that's the case for the
> Australians, but for some of the less glamorous visitors the ground can
> be only half full.

It should be a sell out, I've just googled Sofia Gardens and the official
capacity is only 5500 - Old Trafford or Trent Bridge would attract
considerably more if only half full.

21 Apr 2006 06:40:01
Dave L
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

> It should be a sell out, I've just googled Sofia Gardens and the
> official capacity is only 5500 - Old Trafford or Trent Bridge would
> attract considerably more if only half full.

The ground is being redeveloped and will have a capacity of 15,543

Dave

21 Apr 2006 10:27:45
David Wilcox

"David North" <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk > wrote in message

>> Trent Bridge has been dropped as well as Old Trafford. Headingley
>> has got a Test whereas they didn't have a test in last years Ashes.
>> The Ashes will be played at Lords, Headingley, Edgbaston, Cardiff
>> and the Oval. 4 out of five over 100 miles away from me.
>
> Lucky you - the Cardiff Test will be the first one ever played within 100
> miles of me (South Somerset).
> --

Hey, I didn't say I wasn't being selfish. :-)

Dave

21 Apr 2006 10:51:10
John Hall
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

In article <Ti_1g.27330$ic1.18598@newsfe5-win.ntli.net >,
Outlaw <sorry@dontlikespam.com > writes:
>It should be a sell out, I've just googled Sofia Gardens and the official
>capacity is only 5500 - Old Trafford or Trent Bridge would attract
>considerably more if only half full.

That's the capacity _now_, but I understand that the award of a Test is
conditional on the planned major redevelopment of the ground going
ahead.
--
John Hall

You can divide people into two categories:
those who divide people into two categories and those who don't

21 Apr 2006 05:41:46
Robert Henderson
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

In message <4apc5fFufl8qU1@individual.net >, David Wilcox
<davethemanc@yahoo.co.uk > writes
>What the.........?
>
>http://www.lccc.co.uk/index.php?p=news&id=547
>
>Old Trafford gets dumped from the Ashes programme but Lords
>is still getting 2 tests a year. If there are so many more Test status
>venues then I'm sorry but it's got to be shared about more. London
>gets three tests a year with two at Lords and one at the Oval.
>
>After the turnout for the final day at OT this is an absolute disgrace
>and a right slap in the face in my book.
>
>They haven't even confirmed if OT will get the small consolation
>of a Test vs. Zimbabwe!
>
>Not happy!!
>
>Dave

You should be angry that Wales has been give a Test. RH

--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/

21 Apr 2006 20:24:04
Matt Wheeler

"Robert Henderson" <philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk > wrote in message
> In message <4apc5fFufl8qU1@individual.net>, David Wilcox
> <davethemanc@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>What the.........?
>>
>>http://www.lccc.co.uk/index.php?p=news&id=547
>>
>>Old Trafford gets dumped from the Ashes programme but Lords
>>is still getting 2 tests a year. If there are so many more Test
>>status
>>venues then I'm sorry but it's got to be shared about more. London
>>gets three tests a year with two at Lords and one at the Oval.
>>
>>After the turnout for the final day at OT this is an absolute
>>disgrace
>>and a right slap in the face in my book.
>>
>>They haven't even confirmed if OT will get the small consolation
>>of a Test vs. Zimbabwe!
>>
>>Not happy!!
>>
>>Dave
>>

> You should be angry that Wales has been give a Test. RH

I'm fully aware of your personal beliefs, Robert, and, apologies to
everyone else for my doing this, but....

Robert, please explain what is wrong with the England & Wales Cricket
Board granting a test match involving the England & Wales Cricket
boards representative team to a ground in Wales.

21 Apr 2006 19:54:43
Outlaw

"Matt Wheeler" <spam@007jbond.freeserve.co.uk > wrote in message

> Robert, please explain what is wrong with the England & Wales Cricket
> Board granting a test match involving the England & Wales Cricket boards
> representative team to a ground in Wales.

....and making it geographically more accessable to an awful lot of England
supporters, enabling them to actually attend a major test match.

21 Apr 2006 19:52:32
Outlaw

> In article <Ti_1g.27330$ic1.18598@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
> Outlaw <sorry@dontlikespam.com> writes:
>>It should be a sell out, I've just googled Sofia Gardens and the official
>>capacity is only 5500 - Old Trafford or Trent Bridge would attract
>>considerably more if only half full.
>
> That's the capacity _now_, but I understand that the award of a Test is
> conditional on the planned major redevelopment of the ground going
> ahead.

In which case it can only be good news, the anticipated growth in support of
cricket will require bigger, better grounds. If the tests are rotated
carefully (including dropping one of the Lords tests) it will also make
geographical location much fairer.

21 Apr 2006 23:23:22
David Wilcox

"Outlaw" <sorry@dontlikespam.com > wrote in message

> "Matt Wheeler" <spam@007jbond.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > Robert, please explain what is wrong with the England & Wales Cricket
> > Board granting a test match involving the England & Wales Cricket boards
> > representative team to a ground in Wales.
>
> ....and making it geographically more accessable to an awful lot of
England
> supporters, enabling them to actually attend a major test match.

The fact that it's in Wales doesn't bother me, it's the fact that London
gets
two Ashes Tests and three in that year but Lancashire which found the
possible captain for 2009 (Fred) and Jimmy Anderson who should be a
regular by then doesn't get an Ashes Test and after we turn away 25,000
people on day 5 last year!! It's not like the atmosphere at Lords is
anything
special, I've been there and found it to be on a par with a lively
funeral!!!
(Not a good thing)
Fred may not now get a chance to play Australia again on his home ground.
You might be able to tell, I'm a bit bitter and twisted about this. :-)

Dave

21 Apr 2006 23:46:16
T.S. Cordiner

David Wilcox wrote:

> The fact that it's in Wales doesn't bother me, it's the fact that London
> gets
> two Ashes Tests and three in that year

It's not as though the most populated area of England is London and the
South East or anything ... This has to be yet more anti-democratic nasty
London metropolitan elite conspiracy. ;)

I do sympathise somewhat with Old Trafford's losing a test but as a
Middlesex member am disappointed you didn't think much of Lord's. (Does
nobody else bother with the apostrophe for Thomas Lord's ground any more?)

Yours,

Tom

--
Columbia University, New York City
(and Chiswick, London!)

21 Apr 2006 23:27:15

Matt Wheeler wrote:

> what is wrong with the England & Wales Cricket Board granting a test match involving the England & Wales Cricket boards representative team to a ground in Wales.

After all, even the future king of England, who never forgets to wear a
kilt on important personal occasions, is called the prince of Wales ;)

Ramapriya

22 Apr 2006 09:32:08
Graybags
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

>doesn't get an Ashes Test and after we turn away 25,000
> people on day 5 last year!!

And that figure is probably low. I had a car full of 5 peeps and we got as
far as the junction on the M60 that would take us to Old Trafford, heard
about the queues, and carried on driving (and I don't think we were alone in
doing so).

22 Apr 2006 11:20:51
David North

"T.S. Cordiner" <tsc2110@stopspam.columbia.remove.edu. > wrote in message
> David Wilcox wrote:
>
>> The fact that it's in Wales doesn't bother me, it's the fact that London
>> gets
>> two Ashes Tests and three in that year
>
> It's not as though the most populated area of England is London and the South
> East or anything ...

Not 3/7 of the population though. At the 2001 Census, London (as a region) had
14.6% of the population of England, the SE 16.3%. Even if you include the East
of England region (11%), which goes as far as Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, and
part of which is much closer to Trent Bridge than to Lord's, it's still less
than 3/7.

Southampton's in the SE region, btw.

> This has to be yet more anti-democratic nasty London metropolitan elite
> conspiracy. ;)
>
> I do sympathise somewhat with Old Trafford's losing a test but as a Middlesex
> member am disappointed you didn't think much of Lord's. (Does nobody else
> bother with the apostrophe for Thomas Lord's ground any more?)

They've all been used up on plurals. ;o)
--
David North
Email to this address will be deleted as spam
Use usenetATlaneHYPHENfarm.fsnet.co.uk

22 Apr 2006 20:48:56
Richard Dixon
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

Robert Henderson <philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk > wrote in news:4
+pxDbGKKGSEFwfE@anywhere.demon.co.uk:

> You should be angry that Wales has been give a Test. RH

We *should* we be angry about it?

I can't see why. For the life of me I always thought it was the England and
Wales Cricket Board so their decision is totally justified. And once again,
Robert, there's bugger all you can do about it, so please, do carry on
being in a huff.

Richard

23 Apr 2006 06:26:52
Robert Henderson
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

In message <4avj5oFv4pgiU1@individual.net >, Richard Dixon
<rdngemail@^spam^yahoo.co.uk > writes
>Robert Henderson <philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:4
>+pxDbGKKGSEFwfE@anywhere.demon.co.uk:
>
>> You should be angry that Wales has been give a Test. RH
>
>We *should* we be angry about it?
>
>I can't see why. For the life of me I always thought it was the England and
>Wales Cricket Board

Which it shouldn't be. RH

--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal website: http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

24 Apr 2006 04:24:14
Richard Dixon

> Which it shouldn't be. RH

In your mind, yes.

24 Apr 2006 05:05:34
Robert Henderson
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

In message <cJadnewFxNzWrNTZRVnysA@pipex.net >, Matt Wheeler
<spam@007jbond.freeserve.co.uk > writes

>> You should be angry that Wales has been give a Test. RH
>>

>I'm fully aware of your personal beliefs, Robert, and, apologies to
>everyone else for my doing this, but....
>
>Robert, please explain what is wrong with the England & Wales Cricket
>Board granting a test match involving the England & Wales Cricket
>boards representative team to a ground in Wales.

It shouldn't be the English and Welsh Board. You might note the chairman
is Welsh. RH
--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal website: http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

24 Apr 2006 07:03:28
Matt Wheeler

> In message <cJadnewFxNzWrNTZRVnysA@pipex.net>, Matt Wheeler
> <spam@007jbond.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>>>>

>>> You should be angry that Wales has been give a Test. RH
>>>

>>I'm fully aware of your personal beliefs, Robert, and, apologies to
>>everyone else for my doing this, but....
>>
>>Robert, please explain what is wrong with the England & Wales
>>Cricket Board granting a test match involving the England & Wales
>>Cricket boards representative team to a ground in Wales.
>>

> It shouldn't be the English and Welsh Board.

You keep saying this, but without ever qualifying the statement.... do
you have a rational and logical argument to support that, or is it
some idealogical state you've thought up that has no basis in the real
world in any way shape or form.

25 Apr 2006 06:49:32
Robert Henderson
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

In message <5a2dnWilNPS599HZnZ2dnUVZ8t2dnZ2d@pipex.net >, Matt Wheeler
<spam@007jbond.freeserve.co.uk > writes

>> It shouldn't be the English and Welsh Board.
>
>You keep saying this, but without ever qualifying the statement.... do
>you have a rational and logical argument to support that

Yes. The national side is England. RH

> or is it some idealogical state you've thought up that has no basis in
>the real world in any way shape or form.

--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal website: http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

25 Apr 2006 07:57:21
Fred
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

>>> You should be angry that Wales has been give a Test. RH
>>
>>We *should* we be angry about it?
>>
>>I can't see why. For the life of me I always thought it was the England and
>>Wales Cricket Board
>
>Which it shouldn't be. RH

LOL! Robert, you shouldn't be quite so blinkered and unpleasant...
Sadly the things that we think *should* be are not always the case.

Besides, I for one (among many, I believe) am happy to support the team
representing the England and Wales Cricket Board. You might not like
it but I'm afraid you seem to be regarded here as an out of touch bore.
You might see the world through what seems to me to be a rather racist
filter, but I'm happy to say that the vast majority of the rest of us
don't and simply see your views as the ridiculous poison pen stuff that
they are. It makes me give a great sigh of relief that I don't have
all of your hangups and issues when it comes to the likes of Pieterson,
Butcher & Simon Jones...

25 Apr 2006 16:01:24
Des Small

"Fred" <longhop2005@hotmail.com > writes:

> >>We *should* we be angry about it?
> >>
> >>I can't see why. For the life of me I always thought it was the England and
> >>Wales Cricket Board
> >
> >Which it shouldn't be. RH
>
> LOL! Robert, you shouldn't be quite so blinkered and unpleasant...
> Sadly the things that we think *should* be are not always the case.
>
> Besides, I for one (among many, I believe) am happy to support the
> team representing the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Go EnglandandWales!

> You might not like it but I'm afraid you seem to be regarded here as
> an out of touch bore.

You misspelled "a bigot worthy only of killfiles".

Des

25 Apr 2006 23:43:04
Richard Dixon

> In message <5a2dnWilNPS599HZnZ2dnUVZ8t2dnZ2d@pipex.net>, Matt Wheeler
> <spam@007jbond.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>>>>

>>> It shouldn't be the English and Welsh Board.
>>
>>You keep saying this, but without ever qualifying the statement.... do
>>you have a rational and logical argument to support that
>

> Yes. The national side is England. RH

And you can rant and rave as much as you like on all these issues Robert,
write countless inflammatory articles for Wisden and have letters posted in
the Telegraph under a pseudonym, but there's bugger all you're going to be
able to do about it.

Bad luck.

Richard

25 Apr 2006 20:55:50

Richard Dixon wrote:
> Robert Henderson <philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk> wrote in
> >
> > Yes. The national side is England. RH
>
> And you can rant and rave as much as you like on all these issues Robert,
> write countless inflammatory articles for Wisden and have letters posted in
> the Telegraph under a pseudonym, but there's bugger all you're going to be
> able to do about it.
>
> Bad luck.
>
> Richard

But Richard, while there isn't doubt about Wales, there's one thing I
find difficult to understand. Having fielded a team on its own in WC
99, how then can a Scot national player (Hamilton) be handed an Eng cap
without making it look a touch farcical?

And I also vaguely recall seeing a Wales v Rest of England type
one-dayer some years ago, but I think that was constituted just for a
charity game...

Ramapriya

26 Apr 2006 10:18:35
Marco
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

On 25 Apr 2006 23:43:04 GMT, Richard Dixon
<rdngemail@^spam^yahoo.co.uk > wrote:

>And you can rant and rave as much as you like on all these issues Robert,
>write countless inflammatory articles for Wisden and have letters posted in
>the Telegraph under a pseudonym, but there's bugger all you're going to be
>able to do about it.
>
>Bad luck.
>
>Richard

So your position is that no injustice can ever be righted by debate or
protest?

Your naivete is astounding.

Bad luck.

25 Apr 2006 08:12:37
Don Miles
Re: Old Trafford dumped from Ashes 2009

In message <4aueboFun0gnU1@individual.net >, David North
<dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk > writes
>"T.S. Cordiner" <tsc2110@stopspam.columbia.remove.edu.> wrote in message
>> David Wilcox wrote:
>>
>>> The fact that it's in Wales doesn't bother me, it's the fact that London
>>> gets
>>> two Ashes Tests and three in that year
>>
>> It's not as though the most populated area of England is London and
>>the South
>> East or anything ...
>
>Not 3/7 of the population though. At the 2001 Census, London (as a region) had
>14.6% of the population of England, the SE 16.3%. Even if you include the East
>of England region (11%), which goes as far as Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, and
>part of which is much closer to Trent Bridge than to Lord's, it's still less
>than 3/7.
>
>Southampton's in the SE region, btw.
>
>> This has to be yet more anti-democratic nasty London metropolitan elite
>> conspiracy. ;)
>>
>> I do sympathise somewhat with Old Trafford's losing a test but as a
>>Middlesex
>> member am disappointed you didn't think much of Lord's. (Does nobody else
>> bother with the apostrophe for Thomas Lord's ground any more?)
>
>They've all been used up on plurals. ;o)

Doing proof reading as part of my job I can vouch for that! Of course,
some go on the wrong "it's".

It's far from relevant (!) but based on the care (or otherwise) they
have taken over the wickets prepared for women's internationals I'd have
dropped OT (out of spite! - wicket hardly suitable for junior school
game) and kept Trent Bridge who have been used only once in recent times
but treated us royally. Not a way to allocate men's Tests I know, but it
lets me blow off steam. (Or should I say "let's?")

And also completely irrelevant, my wife and I stopped by the "Thomas
Lord" pub/restaurant (West Meon, Hampshire) with the intention of having
a meal to discover that they serve relatively few nights a week -
couldn't discover how many and when - looked a most attractive place
though but my other half's hunger meant I didn't get time to study any
cricket memorabilia - must return sometime.

Don
--
Don Miles
For Women's Cricket on the Web : www.webbsoc.demon.co.uk