28 Feb 2004 17:28:41
CiL
Nasser Hussain: We’re here to win

+++++++++++++
..Hussain is desperate to give Brian Lara’s side another taste of the
medicine they dished out for so long.

He explained: “I was brought up on England losing 5-0 to West Indies
and people breaking arms and noses. The great West Indies side almost
took the Mick out of us.

“So for us to beat them in 2000 and hold up the Wisden Trophy was very
important to my generation.

“Now I don’t want to go, ‘Here Brian, have your trophy back.’ We went
through such turmoil to win it, I’m not coming here to hand it
straight back. We’re here to win.”

Lots more with a very Tarzan! like picture of Nasser at
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2004092395,00.html

+++++++

CiL
In cyberspace not looking at Page3 of The Sun, I swear... why r u
shaking ur head in disbelief....!

28 Feb 2004 12:10:00
Rob
Re: Nasser Hussain: We're here to win

"CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com > wrote in message

> +++++++++++++
> ..Hussain is desperate to give Brian Lara's side another taste of the
> medicine they dished out for so long.
>
> He explained: "I was brought up on England losing 5-0 to West Indies
> and people breaking arms and noses. The great West Indies side almost
> took the Mick out of us.
>
> "So for us to beat them in 2000 and hold up the Wisden Trophy was very
> important to my generation.
>
> "Now I don't want to go, 'Here Brian, have your trophy back.' We went
> through such turmoil to win it, I'm not coming here to hand it
> straight back. We're here to win."
>

> Lots more with a very Tarzan! like picture of Nasser at
> http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2004092395,00.html

IMHO West Indies copped an awful amount of undeserved flak in the 80s and
90s for their style of play. I remember one quote from WCM at the time
which said "their game is built on vengence and violence". To me, they
just exploited a method of playing, and more importantly they had the fire
power which other sides did not.

Having said all that, I remember the Jamaica test of 1986. If we can "dish
it out" i.e. beat (not mame) the WI through the brute force of Harmison and
Jones, (not that I'd play Jones at Jamaica) then it will be all the more
pleasant viewing.

I don't know how old fellow posters on this ng are - but for those that
didn't see the game, the scorecards don't tell the full story. On that
pitch, against that attack, the story was more of bravery than results.
People talk about Ian Botham having a poor record against top oppoosition
but his _courage_ and the _courage_ of Allan Lamb and Graham Gooch was
beyond (well beyond) the call of duty.

28 Feb 2004 17:51:51
CiL
Re: Nasser Hussain: We're here to win

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:10:00 -0000, "Rob" <gofyself@wrongaddress.com >
wrote: >>>

>IMHO West Indies copped an awful amount of undeserved flak in the 80s and
>90s for their style of play. I remember one quote from WCM at the time
>which said "their game is built on vengence and violence". To me, they
>just exploited a method of playing, and more importantly they had the fire
>power which other sides did not.
>
>Having said all that, I remember the Jamaica test of 1986. If we can "dish
>it out" i.e. beat (not mame) the WI through the brute force of Harmison and
>Jones, (not that I'd play Jones at Jamaica) then it will be all the more
>pleasant viewing.
>
>I don't know how old fellow posters on this ng are - but for those that
>didn't see the game, the scorecards don't tell the full story. On that
>pitch, against that attack, the story was more of bravery than results.
>People talk about Ian Botham having a poor record against top oppoosition
>but his _courage_ and the _courage_ of Allan Lamb and Graham Gooch was
>beyond (well beyond) the call of duty.

Not to forget the Bloodbath of Sabina against Indians in 76, when
Lloyd let loose Holding n co against the Indians, giving them the
licence to kill. Many a batsman ended up in hospital allright but not
before fighting it out. As Rajan Bala, the veteran journo wrote"
++
It took the unbelievable skill of a Sunil
Gavaskar to emerge unscathed from such an ordeal but in 1975-76, three
Indian batsmen, Anshuman Gaekwad, Gundappa Vishwanath and Brijesh
Patel had to be rushed to hospital in what came to be known as the
Sabina Park bloodbath
++

Click http://snipurl.com/bloodbathfor a account of that match.

28 Feb 2004 12:49:28

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:10:00 -0000, "Rob" <gofyself@wrongaddress.com>
> wrote:>>>
> >

> >IMHO West Indies copped an awful amount of undeserved flak in the 80s and
> >90s for their style of play. I remember one quote from WCM at the time
> >which said "their game is built on vengence and violence". To me, they
> >just exploited a method of playing, and more importantly they had the
fire
> >power which other sides did not.
> >
> >Having said all that, I remember the Jamaica test of 1986. If we can
"dish
> >it out" i.e. beat (not mame) the WI through the brute force of Harmison
and
> >Jones, (not that I'd play Jones at Jamaica) then it will be all the more
> >pleasant viewing.
> >
> >I don't know how old fellow posters on this ng are - but for those that
> >didn't see the game, the scorecards don't tell the full story. On that
> >pitch, against that attack, the story was more of bravery than results.
> >People talk about Ian Botham having a poor record against top oppoosition
> >but his _courage_ and the _courage_ of Allan Lamb and Graham Gooch was
> >beyond (well beyond) the call of duty.
> >

> Not to forget the Bloodbath of Sabina against Indians in 76, when
> Lloyd let loose Holding n co against the Indians, giving them the
> licence to kill. Many a batsman ended up in hospital allright but not
> before fighting it out. As Rajan Bala, the veteran journo wrote"
> ++
> It took the unbelievable skill of a Sunil
> Gavaskar to emerge unscathed from such an ordeal but in 1975-76, three
> Indian batsmen, Anshuman Gaekwad, Gundappa Vishwanath and Brijesh
> Patel had to be rushed to hospital in what came to be known as the
> Sabina Park bloodbath
> ++
>
> Click http://snipurl.com/bloodbathfor a account of that match.

An interesting report - and one I'd not read. Given it's nearly 30 years
ago, I have to question it. Were _beamers_ really bowled when bouncers
weren't working? The can be no condonement of that - but I still see no
problem with bouncers and as many of them as the bowling side likes - but
that's another thread.

28 Feb 2004 18:43:52
CiL
Re: Nasser Hussain: We're here to win

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:49:28 -0000, "Rob" <gofyself@wrongaddress.com >
wrote:

>An interesting report - and one I'd not read. Given it's nearly 30 years
>ago, I have to question it. Were _beamers_ really bowled when bouncers
>weren't working? The can be no condonement of that - but I still see no
>problem with bouncers and as many of them as the bowling side likes - but
>that's another thread.

Oh u can beleive it, There were beamers bowled. its a part of folklore
stuff to Indian cricket fans. SMG ie Gavaskar had written it in his
book , plenty of journos that time wrote on it , it was a huge issue,
not many writers in India had too much sympathy for Bedi' declarations
as well as u would have read there but there is no questioning Lloyd's
tactics, the reason is given in that story itself, he had lost
previous series, lost the match against India in this series as they
chased a big score and his head would ahve rolled, crowd were after a
victory and blood! and infact as Murray the wicketkeeper as said in
that story didnt like the strategy but was told by lloyd to just play
and infact that quote by umpire in that story says it all.
Bowling normal bouncers is one thing but this was like the bodyline
series, intent on hitting the batsmen, SMG wrote in his book, that
Holding n co, many time bowled overs nearly full of bouncers, mixing
in beamers and then somewhere down a few overs wil come in a yorker..!

28 Feb 2004 13:39:12
David North
Re: Nasser Hussain: We're here to win

"CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com > wrote in message

> +++++++++++++
> ..Hussain is desperate to give Brian Lara's side another taste of the
> medicine they dished out for so long.
>
> He explained: "I was brought up on England losing 5-0 to West Indies
> and people breaking arms and noses. The great West Indies side almost
> took the Mick out of us.

... literally in Gatting's case. ;-)
--
David North
Email to this address will be deleted as spam

28 Feb 2004 14:48:08
David Lewis

Rob <gofyself@wrongaddress.com > wrote in message

> "CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > +++++++++++++
> > ..Hussain is desperate to give Brian Lara's side another taste of the
> > medicine they dished out for so long.
> >
> > He explained: "I was brought up on England losing 5-0 to West Indies
> > and people breaking arms and noses. The great West Indies side almost
> > took the Mick out of us.
> >
> > "So for us to beat them in 2000 and hold up the Wisden Trophy was very
> > important to my generation.
> >
> > "Now I don't want to go, 'Here Brian, have your trophy back.' We went
> > through such turmoil to win it, I'm not coming here to hand it
> > straight back. We're here to win."
> >

> > Lots more with a very Tarzan! like picture of Nasser at
> > http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2004092395,00.html
> >

> IMHO West Indies copped an awful amount of undeserved flak in the 80s and
> 90s for their style of play. I remember one quote from WCM at the time
> which said "their game is built on vengence and violence". To me, they
> just exploited a method of playing, and more importantly they had the fire
> power which other sides did not.
>
> Having said all that, I remember the Jamaica test of 1986. If we can
"dish
> it out" i.e. beat (not mame) the WI through the brute force of Harmison
and
> Jones, (not that I'd play Jones at Jamaica) then it will be all the more
> pleasant viewing.
>
> I don't know how old fellow posters on this ng are - but for those that
> didn't see the game, the scorecards don't tell the full story. On that
> pitch, against that attack, the story was more of bravery than results.
> People talk about Ian Botham having a poor record against top oppoosition
> but his _courage_ and the _courage_ of Allan Lamb and Graham Gooch was
> beyond (well beyond) the call of duty.

I remember it. Bits of it, anyway. The pitch was a shocker, probably
deliberately so, and Patterson was particularly unpleasant, IIRC. We'd
actually quite fancied our chances at the start of the tour, but the batting
was effectively shellshocked after the Jamaica test and went down without
much of a fight thereafter. All that being said, I think we lost far more
of our tests against WI in the 1980's than other sides did. I don't
remember them having successive whitewashes against anyone else, anyway.

Cheers

David

28 Feb 2004 14:52:31
David Lewis

David North <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk > wrote in message
> "CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > +++++++++++++
> > ..Hussain is desperate to give Brian Lara's side another taste of the
> > medicine they dished out for so long.
> >
> > He explained: "I was brought up on England losing 5-0 to West Indies
> > and people breaking arms and noses. The great West Indies side almost
> > took the Mick out of us.
>
> ... literally in Gatting's case. ;-)
> --
Southern softie, if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm trying to remember how many broken limbs we suffered at the
hands of WI in those days. I remember Andy Lloyd, Paul Terry, & Gatting's
nose (not technically a limb, but never mind) in the '80's. Then Gooch in
1989/90.

Have I forgotten anyone?

Cheers

David

28 Feb 2004 16:08:06
Chuckles The Scary Clown

"David Lewis" <lewis@rmplc.co.uk > wrote in message

> Anyway, I'm trying to remember how many broken limbs we suffered at the
> hands of WI in those days. I remember Andy Lloyd, Paul Terry, & Gatting's
> nose (not technically a limb, but never mind) in the '80's. Then Gooch in
> 1989/90.

Gooch's break was the cruellest of all in terms of changing the course of
not just the match but the series.

England had won the opening Test in Jamaica and Gooch was leading them to
victory in Trinidad when the injury occurred.

The test ended up drawn with Des Haynes slowing the over rate down to 8 an
hour in the gloom and so the series stayed at 1-0 with three to play and no
Gooch instead of 2-0.

28 Feb 2004 17:21:27
David North

"David Lewis" <lewis@rmplc.co.uk > wrote in message news:c1q9nh$kcg$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...

> Rob <gofyself@wrongaddress.com> wrote in message
> >
> > IMHO West Indies copped an awful amount of undeserved flak in the 80s and
> > 90s for their style of play. I remember one quote from WCM at the time
> > which said "their game is built on vengence and violence". To me, they
> > just exploited a method of playing, and more importantly they had the fire
> > power which other sides did not.
> >
> > Having said all that, I remember the Jamaica test of 1986. If we can
> "dish
> > it out" i.e. beat (not mame) the WI through the brute force of Harmison
> and
> > Jones, (not that I'd play Jones at Jamaica) then it will be all the more
> > pleasant viewing.
> >
> > I don't know how old fellow posters on this ng are - but for those that
> > didn't see the game, the scorecards don't tell the full story. On that
> > pitch, against that attack, the story was more of bravery than results.
> > People talk about Ian Botham having a poor record against top oppoosition
> > but his _courage_ and the _courage_ of Allan Lamb and Graham Gooch was
> > beyond (well beyond) the call of duty.
> >
> I remember it. Bits of it, anyway. The pitch was a shocker, probably
> deliberately so, and Patterson was particularly unpleasant, IIRC. We'd
> actually quite fancied our chances at the start of the tour, but the batting
> was effectively shellshocked after the Jamaica test and went down without
> much of a fight thereafter. All that being said, I think we lost far more
> of our tests against WI in the 1980's than other sides did. I don't
> remember them having successive whitewashes against anyone else, anyway.

Having checked their record, those were their only two clean sweeps between 1961/2, when they beat
India 5-0 at home, and 1999/2000, when they beat Zimbabwe 2-0, also at home.

West Indies in the 1980s (excludes 3rd Test in Australia 1979/80):

Matches P W D L %W %D %L W/L

v Australia 18 10 5 3 56% 28% 17% 3.33
v England 24 17 7 0 71% 29% 0% -
v India 19 9 9 1 47% 47% 5% 9.00
v New Zealand 10 3 5 2 30% 50% 20% 1.50
v Pakistan 10 3 5 2 30% 50% 20% 1.50

Total 81 42 31 8 52% 38% 10% 5.25

Apart from England, this also gives some idea of how weak Australia were in the 80s.
--
David North
Email to this address will be deleted as spam
Use usenetATlaneHYPHENfarm.fsnet.co.uk

28 Feb 2004 18:19:45
David North

"Chuckles The Scary Clown" <postmaster@127.0.0.1 > wrote in message

> "David Lewis" <lewis@rmplc.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > Anyway, I'm trying to remember how many broken limbs we suffered at the
> > hands of WI in those days. I remember Andy Lloyd, Paul Terry, & Gatting's
> > nose (not technically a limb, but never mind) in the '80's. Then Gooch in
> > 1989/90.
> >

> Gooch's break was the cruellest of all in terms of changing the course of
> not just the match but the series.
>
> England had won the opening Test in Jamaica and Gooch was leading them to
> victory in Trinidad when the injury occurred.
>
> The test ended up drawn with Des Haynes slowing the over rate down to 8 an
> hour in the gloom and so the series stayed at 1-0 with three to play and no
> Gooch instead of 2-0.

There were two to play, the 2nd Test in Guyana having been washed out.
--
David North
Email to this address will be deleted as spam
Use usenetATlaneHYPHENfarm.fsnet.co.uk

28 Feb 2004 18:30:57
David North
Re: Nasser Hussain: We're here to win

"David Lewis" <lewis@rmplc.co.uk > wrote in message news:c1qa19$kd8$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...

> David North <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > +++++++++++++
> > > ..Hussain is desperate to give Brian Lara's side another taste of the
> > > medicine they dished out for so long.
> > >
> > > He explained: "I was brought up on England losing 5-0 to West Indies
> > > and people breaking arms and noses. The great West Indies side almost
> > > took the Mick out of us.
> >
> > ... literally in Gatting's case. ;-)
> > --
> Southern softie, if you ask me.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to remember how many broken limbs we suffered at the
> hands of WI in those days. I remember Andy Lloyd, Paul Terry, & Gatting's
> nose (not technically a limb, but never mind) in the '80's. Then Gooch in
> 1989/90.
>
> Have I forgotten anyone?

Robin Smith broke a finger in the final innings of the 1989/90 series. Earlier on the same tour,
David Smith, Gooch's replacement, damaged a finger in the 5th ODI.
--
David North
Email to this address will be deleted as spam
Use usenetATlaneHYPHENfarm.fsnet.co.uk

29 Feb 2004 13:46:21
CiL
Re: Nasser Hussain: We're here to win

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:43:52 +0530, CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com >
wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:49:28 -0000, "Rob" <gofyself@wrongaddress.com>
>wrote:
>
>>An interesting report - and one I'd not read. Given it's nearly 30 years
>>ago, I have to question it. Were _beamers_ really bowled when bouncers
>>weren't working? The can be no condonement of that - but I still see no
>>problem with bouncers and as many of them as the bowling side likes - but
>>that's another thread.
>
>Oh u can beleive it, There were beamers bowled. its a part of folklore
>stuff to Indian cricket fans. SMG ie Gavaskar had written it in his
>book , plenty of journos that time wrote on it , it was a huge issue,
>not many writers in India had too much sympathy for Bedi' declarations
>as well as u would have read there but there is no questioning Lloyd's
>tactics, the reason is given in that story itself, he had lost
>previous series, lost the match against India in this series as they
>chased a big score and his head would ahve rolled, crowd were after a
>victory and blood! and infact as Murray the wicketkeeper as said in
>that story didnt like the strategy but was told by lloyd to just play
>and infact that quote by umpire in that story says it all.
>Bowling normal bouncers is one thing but this was like the bodyline
>series, intent on hitting the batsmen, SMG wrote in his book, that
>Holding n co, many time bowled overs nearly full of bouncers, mixing
>in beamers and then somewhere down a few overs wil come in a yorker..!>

Also Jimmy aka Mohinder Amarnath wrote
----
A year before, Mohinder had gone through another
turbulent tour of West Indies where Clive Lloyd,
badgered for losing the Test, ordered Michael
Holding to go round the wicket and hit Indians at
their body. India had lost at Barbados but leveled
the series at Trinidad successfully chasing
400-plus runs.

At Jamaica, the Bodyline of 30s was resurrected.

Mohinder depicts the scene in his own words:
``Anshuman Gaekwad fought bravely and was hit all
over the body. Helmets were not in vogue then and
nor were the chest pads. Finally one delivery
broke his glasses and he started bleeding but he
fought like a true Maratha warrior. Manager Polly
Umrigar eventually persuaded him to return but
next man, Vishwanath, got his finger fractured and
Brijesh Patel was hit on the face. The attack was
so ferocious on the body that when Madan Lal was
hit on the head, he lost his sense of direction
and ran towards mid-wicket for a run.

'' However, Mohinder justifies this tactics.
`....`There, the cricket is a fast bowler's game,'' he
concluded.
------------

CiL
+++++++++
Tall, slim, apparently impervious to fear, he advertised his
resolution with a red handkerchief, which always protruded from his
pocket. I have some grainy video footage of Amarnath batting in the
West Indies that is absolutely stirring, the crowd noise drowning the
commentators' voices as he hooks and pulls off the front foot. When he
had to retire for stitches in a head wound at Bridgetown, he washed
the bloodstains from his shirt while waiting to resume, and on doing
so hooked his first ball from Holding for six

More at
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/05/1070351783186.html
++++++

29 Feb 2004 12:54:34
Chuckles The Scary Clown

> There were two to play, the 2nd Test in Guyana having been washed out.
> --
> David North

Of course you're right, I stand corrected.

This was also, I'm sure, the series where Viv Richards performed his wailing
banshee act at Bridgetown on the 4th evening when Rob Bailey was caught off
his thigh pad down the legside off of Ambrose (who, initially at least, had
the good manners not to appeal).

Umpire intimidation at it's very worst.

I also seem to remember that, given that Bailey's bat wasn't within 18
inches of the ball, Christopher Martin Jenkins made some derogatory comment
on air about the umpire's (Lloyd Barker?) capitulation to Richards' antics
(Richards was the W.I captain at the time) which resulted in Barker issuing
legal proceedings against the BBC commentator.

It seemed to die a quiet death.......anyone know any more about it?

29 Feb 2004 13:21:26
David Lewis
Re: Nasser Hussain: We're here to win

Chuckles The Scary Clown <postmaster@127.0.0.1 > wrote in message

> "David Lewis" <lewis@rmplc.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > Anyway, I'm trying to remember how many broken limbs we suffered at the
> > hands of WI in those days. I remember Andy Lloyd, Paul Terry, &
Gatting's
> > nose (not technically a limb, but never mind) in the '80's. Then Gooch
in
> > 1989/90.
> >

> Gooch's break was the cruellest of all in terms of changing the course of
> not just the match but the series.
>
> England had won the opening Test in Jamaica and Gooch was leading them to
> victory in Trinidad when the injury occurred.
>
> The test ended up drawn with Des Haynes slowing the over rate down to 8 an
> hour in the gloom and so the series stayed at 1-0 with three to play and
no
> Gooch instead of 2-0.

I remember it well. The other crucial loss in that series was Fraser, who
was averaging about 14 after the first 2 tests but didn't play in the
others. I think that England's performances in the first 2 tests were
amongst the best I have seen from them in the 30+ years I have been watching
the game. We really were unlucky not to at least draw the series which was
amazing having lost 14 of our previous 15 against that lot.

Cheers

David

29 Feb 2004 14:46:36
Chuckles The Scary Clown

> I remember it well. The other crucial loss in that series was Fraser, who
> was averaging about 14 after the first 2 tests but didn't play in the
> others. I think that England's performances in the first 2 tests were
> amongst the best I have seen from them in the 30+ years I have been
watching
> the game. We really were unlucky not to at least draw the series which
was
> amazing having lost 14 of our previous 15 against that lot.
>
> Cheers
>
> David

Absolutely. I know Mike Holmans doesn't rate Gooch's captaincy at all but
there's no doubt that Gooch's insistence upon moving away from Botham and,
to a lesser extent, Lamb's mantra of "six pints and God-knows whatever
prohibited substances in the bar" to a regime of "six laps around the
ground" paid dividends.

Additionally, initially on that tour great faith was put in the principle of
bowling in "the corridor of uncertainty" (of which Gus Fraser was probably
the best exponent in world cricket at the time) and this again paid
dividends which were measurable by the results achieved.

Gooch's injury and Haynes' cheating deprived England of a victory in
Trinidad, some dodgy umpiring didn't help in Barbados and we folded in
Antigua.

Hey ho.

Having just returned from a holiday in Antigua, I can say with first hand
experience that the locals there don't rate their chances at all this time
around.

01 Mar 2004 12:01:25
Andrew Dunford
Re: Nasser Hussain: We're here to win

"David Lewis" <lewis@rmplc.co.uk > wrote in message

> David North <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > +++++++++++++
> > > ..Hussain is desperate to give Brian Lara's side another taste of the
> > > medicine they dished out for so long.
> > >
> > > He explained: "I was brought up on England losing 5-0 to West Indies
> > > and people breaking arms and noses. The great West Indies side almost
> > > took the Mick out of us.
> >
> > ... literally in Gatting's case. ;-)
> > --
> Southern softie, if you ask me.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to remember how many broken limbs we suffered at the
> hands of WI in those days. I remember Andy Lloyd, Paul Terry, & Gatting's
> nose (not technically a limb, but never mind) in the '80's. Then Gooch in
> 1989/90.
>
> Have I forgotten anyone?

Although Gatting initially received a nose job, it's sometimes forgotten
that he did eventually re-join the tour, only to suffer a broken thumb
against Barbados.

Does Nasser Hussain breaking his wrist whilst playing tennis during the 1990
tour count?

Andrew

01 Mar 2004 16:43:22
KC

CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com > wrote in message news:<6n4140lsvigjrbaofignankr3i2dk01je8@4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:49:28 -0000, "Rob" <gofyself@wrongaddress.com>
> wrote:
>
> >An interesting report - and one I'd not read. Given it's nearly 30 years
> >ago, I have to question it. Were _beamers_ really bowled when bouncers
> >weren't working? The can be no condonement of that - but I still see no
> >problem with bouncers and as many of them as the bowling side likes - but
> >that's another thread.
>
> Oh u can beleive it, There were beamers bowled. its a part of folklore
> stuff to Indian cricket fans. SMG ie Gavaskar had written it in his
> book , plenty of journos that time wrote on it , it was a huge issue,
> not many writers in India had too much sympathy for Bedi' declarations
> as well as u would have read there but there is no questioning Lloyd's
> tactics, the reason is given in that story itself, he had lost
> previous series, lost the match against India in this series as they
> chased a big score and his head would ahve rolled, crowd were after a
> victory and blood! and infact as Murray the wicketkeeper as said in
> that story didnt like the strategy but was told by lloyd to just play
> and infact that quote by umpire in that story says it all.
> Bowling normal bouncers is one thing but this was like the bodyline
> series, intent on hitting the batsmen, SMG wrote in his book, that
> Holding n co, many time bowled overs nearly full of bouncers, mixing
> in beamers and then somewhere down a few overs wil come in a yorker..!

was that the same series where gavaskar and co. chased down a world
record total win a test? If so, the windies must have been pretty
pissed off!!

02 Mar 2004 18:05:55
David Lewis

KC <man_485@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:<6n4140lsvigjrbaofignankr3i2dk01je8@4ax.com >...
> > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:49:28 -0000, "Rob" <gofyself@wrongaddress.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >An interesting report - and one I'd not read. Given it's nearly 30
years
> > >ago, I have to question it. Were _beamers_ really bowled when
bouncers
> > >weren't working? The can be no condonement of that - but I still see
no
> > >problem with bouncers and as many of them as the bowling side likes -
but
> > >that's another thread.
> >
> > Oh u can beleive it, There were beamers bowled. its a part of folklore
> > stuff to Indian cricket fans. SMG ie Gavaskar had written it in his
> > book , plenty of journos that time wrote on it , it was a huge issue,
> > not many writers in India had too much sympathy for Bedi' declarations
> > as well as u would have read there but there is no questioning Lloyd's
> > tactics, the reason is given in that story itself, he had lost
> > previous series, lost the match against India in this series as they
> > chased a big score and his head would ahve rolled, crowd were after a
> > victory and blood! and infact as Murray the wicketkeeper as said in
> > that story didnt like the strategy but was told by lloyd to just play
> > and infact that quote by umpire in that story says it all.
> > Bowling normal bouncers is one thing but this was like the bodyline
> > series, intent on hitting the batsmen, SMG wrote in his book, that
> > Holding n co, many time bowled overs nearly full of bouncers, mixing
> > in beamers and then somewhere down a few overs wil come in a yorker..!
>
> was that the same series where gavaskar and co. chased down a world
> record total win a test? If so, the windies must have been pretty
> pissed off!!

Yup. That was the previous test.

Cheers

David