30 Jan 2007 12:49:07
JJ
Losers convention in full swing in Perth - NZ prove dumber than England (just)

Watching England (the perennial losers) being defeated by New Zealand
(dopes) tonight was the most frustrating event I have seen in a long long
time.

Just wait until New Zealand realise that they could have won with a bonus
point had it not been for their complete shutdown of competitive urge once
they believed they had the game won. They played like millionaires and they
might very well pay dearly for it. Here's why. . .

Had NZ won with a bonus point they would have been 6 points clear of
England. Now they are only 5 points clear. This is a very very important
issue because England only have two more games - one against Australia and
one against NZ. Had NZ scored a bonus point tonight a loss to Australia by
England (an expected event) would have put them out of the comp. The last
match NZ vs. England would have been a dead rubber because the gap would
have been 6 and the most a team can score in a match is 5.

But alas for stupid NZ the last match may NOT be a dead rubber. Because if
the gap is 5 points England could still knock out NZ by beating them with a
bonus point. (God knows how but it is mathematically possible).

Didn't anyone in NZ realise or are they always as dumb as their sheep. All
they had to do was to restrict England to 4/5ths of their score - i.e. win
by 60 odd runs. My god they didn't even try.

And why didn't any commentator on Nein mention the bonus point issue? The
bonus point target was the only score the POMS could threaten - and hence
the only way to bring some drama to another appalling and once again boring
English display. The only saving grace is that the useless POMS didn't bat
first and set one of their usually abysmal targets in the low to mid 100's.

ps: Don't get near James Franklin when he eating - he'll spill it all over
you.

30 Jan 2007 23:02:10
David North
Re: Losers convention in full swing in Perth - NZ prove dumber than England (just)

"JJ" <hhh@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> The last
> match NZ vs. England would have been a dead rubber

A rubber is a series, not a single match.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=68896&dict=CALD
--
David North

31 Jan 2007 12:56:43
Andrew Dunford

"David North" <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk > wrote in message
> "JJ" <hhh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> The last
>> match NZ vs. England would have been a dead rubber
>
> A rubber is a series, not a single match.
>
> http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=68896&dict=CALD

Originally, yes. However it has long been used to mean 'single match' in
the context of - for example - Davis Cup tennis.

Andrew

31 Jan 2007 08:16:43
Don Miles
Re: Losers convention in full swing in Perth - NZ prove dumber than England (just)

In message <79Hvh.701$sd2.176@news-server.bigpond.net.au >, JJ
<hhh@hotmail.com > writes
>But alas for stupid NZ the last match may NOT be a dead rubber. Because
>if the gap is 5 points England could still knock out NZ by beating them
>with a bonus point. (God knows how but it is mathematically possible).

<Quote > "God knows how" <endquote> ...As arguably the best international
captain who's been around for some years, that, I suggest, is Fleming's
thinking.

Don
--
Don Miles
For Women's Cricket on the Web : www.webbsoc.demon.co.uk

01 Feb 2007 13:21:18

"Andrew Dunford" <adunford@artifax.net > wrote in message

> "David North" <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "JJ" <hhh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> The last
>>> match NZ vs. England would have been a dead rubber
>>
>> A rubber is a series, not a single match.
>>
>> http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=68896&dict=CALD
>
> Originally, yes. However it has long been used to mean 'single match' in
> the context of - for example - Davis Cup tennis.

Oh, I give up. Why bother using words correctly when the wrong use becomes
correct if you use it enough times?
--
David North