28 Feb 2005 17:43:12
Robert Henderson
Cricket quiz March 2005

1. Who was the first batsman to score five Test hundreds?

2. Who performed the most doubles in consecutive seasons?

3. Who was the last bowler to take 100 wickets in his debut season?

4. WG, EM and GF played cricket for England. Which other Grace brother
played FC cricket?

5. Which member of the Royal Family played FC cricket?

6. Who was the first bowler to take 30 wickets in a Test series?

7. Which three Indian Test players have last names which are English
names for occupations?

8. What is the greatest number of stumpings made by a single keeper in
an English season?

9. Who are the two keepers who have performed the wicket keeper's double
of 1000 runs and 100 victims in a season?

10. C B Fry set an athletics world record. What was it?

--
Robert Henderson
philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk

01 Mar 2005 09:55:03
Toby Briggs
Re: Cricket quiz March 2005

Robert Henderson wrote:

> 10. C B Fry set an athletics world record. What was it?

Long Jump

--

"That slow motion replay doesn't show how fast the ball was travelling"
- Richie Benaud

01 Mar 2005 09:47:51
John Hall
Re: Cricket quiz March 2005

In article <2pMjAXAwg1ICFwmA@anywhere.demon.co.uk >,
Robert Henderson <Philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk > writes:
>1. Who was the first batsman to score five Test hundreds?
>
>2. Who performed the most doubles in consecutive seasons?

It must be either Hirst or Rhodes.

>3. Who was the last bowler to take 100 wickets in his debut season?

Derek Underwood.

>4. WG, EM and GF played cricket for England. Which other Grace brother
>played FC cricket?
>
>5. Which member of the Royal Family played FC cricket?
>
>6. Who was the first bowler to take 30 wickets in a Test series?
>
>7. Which three Indian Test players have last names which are English
>names for occupations?

Engineer, Merchant. I can't think of the third.

>8. What is the greatest number of stumpings made by a single keeper in
>an English season?

60-odd, by Les Ames, most of them off Tich Freeman.

>9. Who are the two keepers who have performed the wicket keeper's double
>of 1000 runs and 100 victims in a season?

Les Ames and John Murray.

>10. C B Fry set an athletics world record. What was it?

For the long jump,
--
John Hall
"I look upon it, that he who does not mind his belly,

01 Mar 2005 10:45:11
Brian Lawrence
Re: Cricket quiz March 2005

"Robert Henderson" <Philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk > wrote:

> 1. Who was the first batsman to score five Test hundreds?

Archie McLaren

> 2. Who performed the most doubles in consecutive seasons?
>
> 3. Who was the last bowler to take 100 wickets in his debut season?

Derek Underwood

> 4. WG, EM and GF played cricket for England. Which other Grace brother
> played FC cricket?

Henry

> 5. Which member of the Royal Family played FC cricket?
>
> 6. Who was the first bowler to take 30 wickets in a Test series?

George Giffen

> 7. Which three Indian Test players have last names which are English
> names for occupations?

Contractor, Engineer & Merchant

> 8. What is the greatest number of stumpings made by a single keeper in
> an English season?
>
> 9. Who are the two keepers who have performed the wicket keeper's double
> of 1000 runs and 100 victims in a season?

Les Ames & John Murray

> 10. C B Fry set an athletics world record. What was it?

Long Jump - although personally I have doubts as to it's veracity.

--

Brian Lawrence
Brian_W_Lawrence@msn.com

01 Mar 2005 10:50:30
Brian Lawrence
Re: Cricket quiz March 2005

>> 8. What is the greatest number of stumpings made by a single keeper in
>> an English season?

64 by Les Ames in 1932

--

Brian

01 Mar 2005 11:30:03
Mac
Re: Cricket quiz March 2005

"Robert Henderson" <Philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk > wrote in

> 2. Who performed the most doubles in consecutive seasons?

Frank Woolley scored over 2,000 runs and took more than 100 wickets in three
consecutive seasons: 1921, 1922, 1923.

> 4. WG, EM and GF played cricket for England. Which other Grace brother
> played FC cricket?

Henry

> 5. Which member of the Royal Family played FC cricket?

Duke of York?

> 7. Which three Indian Test players have last names which are English
> names for occupations?

Contractor, Engineer, Guard, Merchant. Sorry, that's four.

> 8. What is the greatest number of stumpings made by a single keeper in
> an English season?

Les Ames in 1932 (64)

> 9. Who are the two keepers who have performed the wicket keeper's double
> of 1000 runs and 100 victims in a season?

Ames (1928, 1929, 1932) and Murray (1957)

> 10. C B Fry set an athletics world record. What was it?

Long jump. Not sure about the distance but he held it for 21 years.

Cheers,

Mac

01 Mar 2005 11:58:35
Brian Lawrence
Re: Cricket quiz March 2005

>> 10. C B Fry set an athletics world record. What was it?
>
> Long Jump - although personally I have doubts as to it's veracity.

Refreshing my memory - Fry's record is said to have been 23 feet 5 inches
set in 1892, and to have remained as the WR for 21 years (IE until 1913).

Checking David Wallechinsky's "The Complete Book of the Olympics", 2004
edition - at the first games in 1896 (four years after Fry's "record") the
WR is said to have been 23' 8" set by JJ Mooney. Four years later the
record had moved on to 24' 7.25" and was held by Meyer Prinstein. In 1904
the record was 24' 11.75" which had been set by Peter O'Connor on August
05 1901 in Dublin. This record is the first one on the list maintained
by the IAAF and remained unbeaten until 1923.

--

Brian Lawrence
Brian_W_Lawrence@msn.com

01 Mar 2005 12:22:44
Brian Lawrence
Re: Cricket quiz March 2005

Further research -

http://trackfield.brinkster.net/RecProg_All.asp?RecCode=WR&EventCode=MF3&Gender=M

shows Fry's record of 7.17m set in Oxford on March 05 1893. This equalled the record
set in Detroit two years earlier. Fry jumped the same distance later in the day.

The record was held for about 18 months until beaten by John Mooney in September 1894.

--

Brian

01 Mar 2005 16:32:25
Mac
Re: Cricket quiz March 2005

"Brian Lawrence" <Brian_W_LawrenceREMTHIS@msn.com > wrote in message
> Further research -

http://trackfield.brinkster.net/RecProg_All.asp?RecCode=WR&EventCode=MF3&Gender=M

> shows Fry's record of 7.17m set in Oxford on March 05 1893. This equalled
the record
> set in Detroit two years earlier. Fry jumped the same distance later in
the day.

Interesting! In his classic work Life Worth Living, Fry himself writes:

"...I did win the long jump with a world's record which stood for many
years - i.e., 23 feet 6 1/2 inches." (p. 94, 1986 edition).

Is that the exact equivalent of 7.17 m?

On the next page he writes: "The best long jump from toe mark to heel I made
was 24 feet 2 inches, but I took off 9 inches before the board."

Cheers,

Mac