26 Nov 2007 22:11:25
David Lewis
Chain of cricketers from 1877 to present date

This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.

It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests either
with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
first 'test' in 1877.
Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.

Anyone fancy a go?

David

26 Nov 2007 23:13:41
max.it
Re: Chain of cricketers from 1877 to present date

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:11:25 GMT, "David Lewis"
<dandjlewis@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote:

>This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
>
>It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests either
>with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
>first 'test' in 1877.
>Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
>
>Anyone fancy a go?
>
>David

Is it cryptic?

max.it

27 Nov 2007 07:32:14
David North

"David Lewis" <dandjlewis@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote in message
> This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
>
> It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests
> either
> with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
> first 'test' in 1877.
> Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
>
> Anyone fancy a go?

I managed 9 at the first attempt. Will have to work on it.

Tendulkar
Traicos
Trevor Goddard
Compton
Hammond or Bradman
Hobbs
Clem Hill
Grace
Shaw or Blackham
--
David North
Test Career Ratings: http://www.lanefarm.plus.com/cricket/ratings

27 Nov 2007 08:12:33
David North

"David North" <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk > wrote in message
> "David Lewis" <dandjlewis@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
>>
>> It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests
>> either
>> with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
>> first 'test' in 1877.
>> Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
>>
>> Anyone fancy a go?
>
> I managed 9 at the first attempt. Will have to work on it.
>
> Tendulkar
> Traicos
> Trevor Goddard
> Compton
> Hammond or Bradman
> Hobbs
> Clem Hill
> Grace
> Shaw or Blackham

OK, make that:

Tendulkar
Traicos
Trevor Goddard
Compton
Ames
Rhodes
Grace
Shaw or Blackham

--
David North
Test Career Ratings: http://www.lanefarm.plus.com/cricket/ratings

27 Nov 2007 09:13:27
Paul Hyett
Re: Chain of cricketers from 1877 to present date

In uk.sport.cricket on Mon, 26 Nov 2007, David Lewis
<dandjlewis@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote :
>This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
>
>It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests either
>with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
>first 'test' in 1877.
>Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
>
>Anyone fancy a go?

Well, they'd have to be ones with long test careers (16 years on
average), so that would cut down the choices considerably...
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

27 Nov 2007 10:24:48
John Hall
Re: Chain of cricketers from 1877 to present date

In article <5r1vjkF11dkg2U1@mid.individual.net >,
David North <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk > writes:
>I managed 9 at the first attempt. Will have to work on it.
>
>Tendulkar
>Traicos
>Trevor Goddard
>Compton
>Hammond or Bradman
>Hobbs
>Clem Hill
>Grace
>Shaw or Blackham

Substituting Headley and Rhodes for Hammond/Bradman and Hobbs might
help.
--
John Hall
"Honest criticism is hard to take,

27 Nov 2007 19:06:34
David Lewis

> OK, make that:
>
> Tendulkar
> Traicos
> Trevor Goddard
> Compton
> Ames
> Rhodes
> Grace
> Shaw or Blackham
>
> --
> David North
> Test Career Ratings: http://www.lanefarm.plus.com/cricket/ratings

Well done - very quick indeed.
My eight were:
Tendulkar (or Jayasuria)
Imran
Cowdrey
Hutton
Ames
Rhodes
Grace
Blackham

I don't think it can be done with seven. It could have been if Cowdrey had
debuted a year earlier, as he'd have played Headley who would have replaced
Hutton & Ames. Or if Grace had been availbale for the inaugral test.

Cheers

David

27 Nov 2007 11:08:42
Andrew B.

On 26 Nov, 22:11, "David Lewis" <dandjle...@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote:
> This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
>
> It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests either
> with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
> first 'test' in 1877.
> Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
>
> Anyone fancy a go?
>
> David

If Ramprakash were to get back into the England team, it could be done
in 7: Blackham-MacLaren-Woolley-Brown-Close-Richards-Ramprakash.
As it is: Blackham-MacLaren-Woolley-Brown-Close-Greenidge-Lara-*,
where there must be hundreds of options for *.
For an entirely different chain: Ulyett-Grace-Rhodes-Headley-Graveney-
Underwood-Ranatunga-* also gives dozens of options.

27 Nov 2007 19:20:18
John Hall
Re: Chain of cricketers from 1877 to present date

In article <_UZ2j.131630$7_4.109981@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk >,
David Lewis <dandjlewis@blueyonder.co.uk > writes:

>"David North" <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> OK, make that:
>>
>> Tendulkar
>> Traicos
>> Trevor Goddard
>> Compton
>> Ames
>> Rhodes
>> Grace
>> Shaw or Blackham
>>
>> --
>> David North
>> Test Career Ratings: http://www.lanefarm.plus.com/cricket/ratings
>
>Well done - very quick indeed.
>My eight were:
>Tendulkar (or Jayasuria)
>Imran
>Cowdrey
>Hutton
>Ames
>Rhodes
>Grace
>Blackham
>
>I don't think it can be done with seven. It could have been if Cowdrey had
>debuted a year earlier, as he'd have played Headley who would have replaced
>Hutton & Ames. Or if Grace had been availbale for the inaugral test.

It would also have helped if Headley and Sobers, who both played for WI
in 1953-4 had played in the same Test. One might do something with
Headley and Lock, as Lock's last Test was in 1967-8.

(Just seen Andrew's post and realised that Graveney would be slightly
better than Lock.)
--
John Hall
"Honest criticism is hard to take,
particularly from a relative, a friend,
an acquaintance, or a stranger." Franklin P Jones

27 Nov 2007 19:48:48
David Lewis

"max.it" <max.it@teatime > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:11:25 GMT, "David Lewis"
> <dandjlewis@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
> >
> >It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests
either
> >with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
> >first 'test' in 1877.
> >Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
> >
> >Anyone fancy a go?
> >
> >David
> >

> Is it cryptic?

No. But you probably knew that by now.

David

27 Nov 2007 19:48:48
David Lewis

"Andrew B." <bulland@gmail.com > wrote in message
> On 26 Nov, 22:11, "David Lewis" <dandjle...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
> >
> > It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests
either
> > with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to
the
> > first 'test' in 1877.
> > Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
> >
> > Anyone fancy a go?
> >
> > David
>
> If Ramprakash were to get back into the England team, it could be done
> in 7: Blackham-MacLaren-Woolley-Brown-Close-Richards-Ramprakash.
> As it is: Blackham-MacLaren-Woolley-Brown-Close-Greenidge-Lara-*,
> where there must be hundreds of options for *.
> For an entirely different chain: Ulyett-Grace-Rhodes-Headley-Graveney-
> Underwood-Ranatunga-* also gives dozens of options.

Really good calls

28 Nov 2007 09:51:02
Andrew Dunford
Re: Chain of cricketers from 1877 to present date

"Andrew B." <bulland@gmail.com > wrote in message
> On 26 Nov, 22:11, "David Lewis" <dandjle...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
>>
>> It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests
>> either
>> with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
>> first 'test' in 1877.
>> Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
>>
>> Anyone fancy a go?
>>
>> David
>
> If Ramprakash were to get back into the England team, it could be done
> in 7: Blackham-MacLaren-Woolley-Brown-Close-Richards-Ramprakash.

Or indeed a recall for Hick would produce the same result.

Another possibility is ...Close-Greenidge-Mushtaq Ahmed.

<snip >

Andrew

28 Nov 2007 00:54:19
David North

> "David North" <dnorth@abbeymanor.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> OK, make that:
>>
>> Tendulkar
>> Traicos
>> Trevor Goddard
>> Compton
>> Ames
>> Rhodes
>> Grace
>> Shaw or Blackham
>
> Well done - very quick indeed.
> My eight were:
> Tendulkar (or Jayasuria)
> Imran
> Cowdrey
> Hutton
> Ames
> Rhodes
> Grace
> Blackham

In the above lists, Compton/Hutton and Ames could be replaced by Bedser and
Voce.

> I don't think it can be done with seven. It could have been if Cowdrey
> had
> debuted a year earlier, as he'd have played Headley who would have
> replaced
> Hutton & Ames. Or if Grace had been availbale for the inaugral test.

Yes, if Test cricket had started in England a decade earlier ... ;o)

If India had played West Indies between 1989/90 and 1991, it would surely be
possible; also if Gooch had not failed in 1975, he might well have played
alongside Close the following year.
--
David North
Test Career Ratings: http://www.lanefarm.plus.com/cricket/ratings

04 Dec 2007 14:43:34
Andrew B.
Re: Chain of cricketers from 1877 to present date

On 26 Nov, 22:11, "David Lewis" <dandjle...@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote:
> This cropped up elsewhere, but it may interest uksc.
>
> It's possible to draw up a chain of eight cricketers who played tests either
> with or against one another from the current crop all the way back to the
> first 'test' in 1877.
> Actually there's more than one way of doing it, tbh.
>
> Anyone fancy a go?
>
> David

As a variant on this: what's the strongest XI you can pick to span the
history of Test cricket?
For starters: Blackham-Jackson-Barnes-Hobbs-Bradman-Miller-Sobers-
Gavaskar-Akram-Muralitharan plus anyone you like...