14 Feb 2005 07:47:47
CiL
Bob Woolmer on Colin Cowdrey

++++++++
It was mid season 1968, I think it was Alan Dixon's benefit year and
the Kent team were having a darts and fun evening at Alan Watt s pub.
After a couple of shandy s nature had called and as I entered nature's
watering hole, I suddenly was there with my Hero, eventually to become
mentor. Not the most elegant way to explain my first meeting with
Colin Cowdrey but true nevertheless.

--------
.....Batting with him again at Tunbridge Wells against Essex, I have
just played and missed at Robin Hobbs for the fourth time in a row! He
quietly wanders down the wicket at the end of an over and I wait for
an admonishment, not so his words echo in my ear to this very day,
Perhaps you ought to try and hit him over extra cover! Over extra
cover, I was struggling to hit him at all! I suppose if I had been
less naive I would have thought he was trying to get the next batsman
in! But words from the master, I knew were sound. First ball next over
I applied the theory, to my utter relief and ecstasy Robin Hobbs went
over extra cover for four. What now my question screamed, as if by
magic Colin was next to me, don t worry the game will be different
now! ? As sure as eggs are eggs, Robin bowled the next leg side and I
swept for a single, next time I faced a short ball to cut, then a
little later a full toss. How sweet is confidence allied to nerve.
Next to Nottingham and the great Sir Garfield Sobers. Left arm over, I
am facing and I play and miss, I survive more by luck than judgement.
The ball seems to be on the end of a piece of string, a nightmare to
hit, Colin cruising on seventy at the other end, unable to miss the
ball, The bat seemingly unbeatable as broad as a barnyard door. Mine
lick a toothpick that was the difference. Again he approaches, try
this next over he says Open your stance and hit him back towards the
stumps. No sooner said than done. Well to cut a long story short I got
seventy and played Sobers better and better! But batting was fun with
him. Australia at Canterbury, Ian Chappell has ordered the .....

More at http://www.bobwoolmer.com/articles/5.htm

14 Feb 2005 04:58:23
Robert Henderson
Re: Bob Woolmer on Colin Cowdrey

In article <5e2011hlpmaehksindesq61873mvp9osqa@4ax.com >, CiL
<cricketislife@rediffmail.com > writes
>Next to Nottingham and the great Sir Garfield Sobers. Left arm over, I
>am facing and I play and miss, I survive more by luck than judgement.
>The ball seems to be on the end of a piece of string, a nightmare to
>hit, Colin cruising on seventy at the other end, unable to miss the
>ball, The bat seemingly unbeatable as broad as a barnyard door. Mine
>lick a toothpick that was the difference. Again he approaches, try
>this next over he says Open your stance and hit him back towards the
>stumps. No sooner said than done. Well to cut a long story short I got
>seventy and played Sobers better and better! But batting was fun with
>him. Australia at Canterbury, Ian Chappell has ordered the ..

At the age of 41 Colin was flown out in 1974/5 to face Thompson and
Lillee in full cry. Having come from the middle of an English winter and
with precious little practise, Colin found himself walking out to bat in
a Test match to face a rampant Thompson. He played out the remainder
of the over and then ambled down the pitch to the other batsman, David
Lloyd and said: "I say, this is fun." Lloyd could think of many words
for "it" but fun wasn't one of them.

A man of unbelievable charm, Colin was shamefully treated by the
selectors throughout his career who repeatedly denied him the England
captaincy as of right, only turning to him when they had to. He had
more time to play fast bowling than any batsmen I have seen. RH
--
Robert Henderson
philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk

13 Feb 2005 21:26:28

CiL wrote:
> ++++++++
> It was mid season 1968, I think it was Alan Dixon's benefit year and
> the Kent team were having a darts and fun evening at Alan Watt s pub.
> After a couple of shandy s nature had called and as I entered
nature's
> watering hole, I suddenly was there with my Hero, eventually to
become
> mentor. Not the most elegant way to explain my first meeting with
> Colin Cowdrey but true nevertheless.

And appropriate, one would imagine.

CC was, so we're told, prone to roam the changing rooms naked.

This sounds like a classic case of cottaging to me.

Higgs

14 Feb 2005 06:39:57

In article <1108358788.936376.190680@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com >,
kenhiggs8@hotmail.com writes

>CiL wrote:
>> ++++++++
>> It was mid season 1968, I think it was Alan Dixon's benefit year and
>> the Kent team were having a darts and fun evening at Alan Watt s pub.
>> After a couple of shandy s nature had called and as I entered
>nature's
>> watering hole, I suddenly was there with my Hero, eventually to
>become
>> mentor. Not the most elegant way to explain my first meeting with
>> Colin Cowdrey but true nevertheless.
>>

>And appropriate, one would imagine.
>
>CC was, so we're told, prone to roam the changing rooms naked.
>
>This sounds like a classic case of cottaging to me.

Strange how he had three sons and (I think) two daughters. RH

--
Robert Henderson
philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk
Blair Scandal web site at http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal web site at http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

24 Feb 2005 14:44:42
didds
Re: Bob Woolmer on Colin Cowdrey

didn't Jeremy Thorpe also have children?

didds

24 Feb 2005 17:48:28

didds wrote:
> didn't Jeremy Thorpe also have children?
>
> didds

And a dog, IIRC.

Higgs

25 Feb 2005 23:52:24
max.it
Re: Bob Woolmer on Colin Cowdrey

kenhiggs8@hotmail.com

>didds wrote:
>> didn't Jeremy Thorpe also have children?
>>
>> didds
>
>And a dog, IIRC.
>
>Higgs

How is the Diddses.
It's not often these days that a Didds gets posted in here. ?

max.it

25 Feb 2005 17:32:48
didds
Re: Bob Woolmer on Colin Cowdrey

that's what comes of 12 hour night shifts Max...

;-)

didds