22 Aug 2006 06:44:30
Robert Henderson
A few things to remember about ball tampering

1. The umpires check the condition of the ball at the end of the over.
hence, any radical change during an over will be apparent.

2. Any radical change needs explanation. If for example an over has gone
by with two singles being taken to third man and nothing else, yet there
is a noticeable change to the ball, it is a bit difficult to attribute
it to normal wear during play.

3. Even a worn ball will show up different kinds of interference. For
example, scraping with a fingernail will be very different from marks
made by a ball crashing into a boundary wall.

RH
--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/

22 Aug 2006 07:07:14
Steve Hague
Re: A few things to remember about ball tampering

"Robert Henderson" <philip@anywhere.demon.co.uk > wrote in message
> 1. The umpires check the condition of the ball at the end of the over.
> hence, any radical change during an over will be apparent.
>
> 2. Any radical change needs explanation. If for example an over has gone
> by with two singles being taken to third man and nothing else, yet there
> is a noticeable change to the ball, it is a bit difficult to attribute it
> to normal wear during play.
>
> 3. Even a worn ball will show up different kinds of interference. For
> example, scraping with a fingernail will be very different from marks
> made by a ball crashing into a boundary wall.
>
> RH

But what constitutes 'changing the condition of the ball'? Every bowler
tries to do that to suit his own style, whether it be trying to get a shine
on one side if he's a seamer or roughening one side to produce reverse
swing. I think so long as no instrument is used, ie a bottle top, knife or
key, it should be ok for a bowler to work on the ball. The game's slanted in
favour of the batsman enough as it is.
Steve Hague.
Oh, and does anyone else remember seeing spinners rubbing the ball in the
dust to take the shine off it?

22 Aug 2006 00:22:02
Ramapriya D

Steve Hague wrote:

> key, it should be ok for a bowler to work on the ball.

You forgot fingernails and teeth ;)

> Oh, and does anyone else remember seeing spinners rubbing the ball in the
> dust to take the shine off it?

If some ump didn't take action despite noticing that, he wasn't doing
his job :)

Ramapriya