17 Oct 2003 13:53:37
jm
Skydiving quotes

Some skydiving quotes on this site

http://www.skygod.com/quotes/skydive.html

such as:-

I watched him strap on his harness and helmet, climb into the cockpit and,
minutes later, a black dot falls off the wing two thousand feet above our
field. At almost the same instant, a while streak behind him flowered out
into the delicate wavering muslin of a parachute -- a few gossamer yards
grasping onto air and suspending below them, with invisible threads, a human
life, and man who by stitches, cloth, and cord, had made himself a god of
the sky for those immortal moments.
A day or two later, when I decided that I too must pass through the
experience of a parachute jump, life rose to a higher level, to a sort of
exhilarated calmness. The thought of crawling out onto the struts and wires
hundreds of feet above the earth, and then giving up even that tenuous hold
of safety and of substance, left me a feeling of anticipation mixed with
dread, of confidence restrained by caution, of courage salted through with
fear. How tightly should one hold onto life? How loosely give it rein? What
gain was there for such a risk? I would have to pay in money for hurling my
body into space. There would be no crowd to watch and applaud my landing.
Nor was there any scientific objective to be gained. No, there was deeper
reason for wanting to jump, a desire I could not explain.

It was that quality that led me into aviation in the first place -- it was a
love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation
of beauty. It lay beyond the descriptive words of man -- where immortality
is touched through danger, where life meets death on equal plane; where man
is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the same
instant.

- Charles A. Lindbergh, contemplating his first parachute jump, 'The Spirit
of St Louis,' 1953

--
JM

-or-
mayojs{AT}spamcop.net

18 Oct 2003 20:29:58
Paul
Re: Skydiving quotes

'No shit,.......there I was.........'

"jm" <mayojs@_REMOVE_spamcop.net > wrote in message
> Some skydiving quotes on this site
>
> http://www.skygod.com/quotes/skydive.html
>
> such as:-
>
> I watched him strap on his harness and helmet, climb into the cockpit and,
> minutes later, a black dot falls off the wing two thousand feet above our
> field. At almost the same instant, a while streak behind him flowered out
> into the delicate wavering muslin of a parachute -- a few gossamer yards
> grasping onto air and suspending below them, with invisible threads, a
human
> life, and man who by stitches, cloth, and cord, had made himself a god of
> the sky for those immortal moments.
> A day or two later, when I decided that I too must pass through the
> experience of a parachute jump, life rose to a higher level, to a sort of
> exhilarated calmness. The thought of crawling out onto the struts and
wires
> hundreds of feet above the earth, and then giving up even that tenuous
hold
> of safety and of substance, left me a feeling of anticipation mixed with
> dread, of confidence restrained by caution, of courage salted through with
> fear. How tightly should one hold onto life? How loosely give it rein?
What
> gain was there for such a risk? I would have to pay in money for hurling
my
> body into space. There would be no crowd to watch and applaud my landing.
> Nor was there any scientific objective to be gained. No, there was deeper
> reason for wanting to jump, a desire I could not explain.
>
> It was that quality that led me into aviation in the first place -- it was
> love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the
appreciation
> of beauty. It lay beyond the descriptive words of man -- where immortality
> is touched through danger, where life meets death on equal plane; where
man
> is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the same
> instant.
>
> - Charles A. Lindbergh, contemplating his first parachute jump, 'The
Spirit
> of St Louis,' 1953
>

> --
> JM

> -or-
> mayojs{AT}spamcop.net

19 Oct 2003 06:11:36
Paul
Re: Skydiving quotes

'Did anyone see the widdy?'

> Some skydiving quotes on this site
>
> http://www.skygod.com/quotes/skydive.html
>
> such as:-
>
> I watched him strap on his harness and helmet, climb into the cockpit and,
> minutes later, a black dot falls off the wing two thousand feet above our
> field. At almost the same instant, a while streak behind him flowered out
> into the delicate wavering muslin of a parachute -- a few gossamer yards
> grasping onto air and suspending below them, with invisible threads, a
human
> life, and man who by stitches, cloth, and cord, had made himself a god of
> the sky for those immortal moments.
> A day or two later, when I decided that I too must pass through the
> experience of a parachute jump, life rose to a higher level, to a sort of
> exhilarated calmness. The thought of crawling out onto the struts and
wires
> hundreds of feet above the earth, and then giving up even that tenuous
hold
> of safety and of substance, left me a feeling of anticipation mixed with
> dread, of confidence restrained by caution, of courage salted through with
> fear. How tightly should one hold onto life? How loosely give it rein?
What
> gain was there for such a risk? I would have to pay in money for hurling
my
> body into space. There would be no crowd to watch and applaud my landing.
> Nor was there any scientific objective to be gained. No, there was deeper
> reason for wanting to jump, a desire I could not explain.
>
> It was that quality that led me into aviation in the first place -- it was
> love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the
appreciation
> of beauty. It lay beyond the descriptive words of man -- where immortality
> is touched through danger, where life meets death on equal plane; where
man
> is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the same
> instant.
>
> - Charles A. Lindbergh, contemplating his first parachute jump, 'The
Spirit
> of St Louis,' 1953
>

> --
> JM

> -or-
> mayojs{AT}spamcop.net

19 Oct 2003 16:44:28
Paul
Re: Skydiving quotes

'How far back up do you go when your parachute opens?'

(Whuffo to skydiver quote)

"Paul" <paulmoore7@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> 'Did anyone see the widdy?'
>

> "jm" <mayojs@_REMOVE_spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > Some skydiving quotes on this site
> >
> > http://www.skygod.com/quotes/skydive.html
> >
> > such as:-
> >
> > I watched him strap on his harness and helmet, climb into the cockpit
and,
> > minutes later, a black dot falls off the wing two thousand feet above
our
> > field. At almost the same instant, a while streak behind him flowered
out
> > into the delicate wavering muslin of a parachute -- a few gossamer yards
> > grasping onto air and suspending below them, with invisible threads, a
> human
> > life, and man who by stitches, cloth, and cord, had made himself a god
of
> > the sky for those immortal moments.
> > A day or two later, when I decided that I too must pass through the
> > experience of a parachute jump, life rose to a higher level, to a sort
of
> > exhilarated calmness. The thought of crawling out onto the struts and
> wires
> > hundreds of feet above the earth, and then giving up even that tenuous
> hold
> > of safety and of substance, left me a feeling of anticipation mixed with
> > dread, of confidence restrained by caution, of courage salted through
with
> > fear. How tightly should one hold onto life? How loosely give it rein?
> What
> > gain was there for such a risk? I would have to pay in money for hurling
> my
> > body into space. There would be no crowd to watch and applaud my
landing.
> > Nor was there any scientific objective to be gained. No, there was
deeper
> > reason for wanting to jump, a desire I could not explain.
> >
> > It was that quality that led me into aviation in the first place -- it
was
> > love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the
> appreciation
> > of beauty. It lay beyond the descriptive words of man -- where
immortality
> > is touched through danger, where life meets death on equal plane; where
> man
> > is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the same
> > instant.
> >
> > - Charles A. Lindbergh, contemplating his first parachute jump, 'The
> Spirit
> > of St Louis,' 1953
> >

> > --
> > JM
> >
> > --
> > -or-
> > mayojs{AT}spamcop.net

19 Oct 2003 12:24:57
Alex
Re: Skydiving quotes

"Only skydivers know why the birds sing."

Cos they don't have to f***ing pack !!!!

02 Nov 2003 02:48:50
Frankie252
Re: Skydiving quotes

"How do you breath in freefall??????????"

02 Nov 2003 11:11:22
Andy Kille
Re: Skydiving quotes

frankiem@paladin.fsnet.co.uk (Frankie252) wrote in message news:<b44cae0e.0311020248.79503269@posting.google.com >...
> "How do you breath in freefall??????????"

You don't - you have to hold your breath for a full minute...

Anyway..

"Just as I was landing a sideways gust of wind hit me...." ;-)

02 Nov 2003 19:26:04
Bobby
Re: Skydiving quotes

"Frankie252" <frankiem@paladin.fsnet.co.uk > wrote in message
> "How do you breath in freefall??????????"

my personal favourite is
Q, "what do you do if your parachute fails"
A, "well I would use my reserve"
Q, "well what would you do if that doesn't open also?"
A, "die!!"

Rob

02 Nov 2003 23:49:44
Steve Carmichael-Timson
Re: Skydiving quotes

"Frankie252" <frankiem@paladin.fsnet.co.uk > wrote in message
> "How do you breath in freefall??????????"

If you look at all the videos of skydivers you can see them flapping their
cheeks. This is so that they can absorbe oxygen through tissue obsorbtion.
Due to the speeds travelled in freefall the oxygen is forced into the
bloodstream.

Steve

"I knew I would survive my first jump as long as I was carrying my lucky
anvil"